Some California news

Ararar

1 hour ago, QPRTrinity said:

What are everyone's thoughts about these Northern CA DemocRats trying to ban youth football. I hate that they are destroying the youth pipeline into our beautiful game.  

If you want to shed crocodile tears over how much you care about protecting innocent kids there’s another forum on here for partisan hackery. Thats what I think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

MD has its best oops team in a long time right now. They’ll have a shot at the open this year. 

Agreed. This team is a pleasure to watch which is a clinic in coaching. They have no ‘McDonalds All American’ type players like they have in the past, but they have great balance with 8 guys that contribute. Unselfish, ball movement, spacing, never taking a bad shot. Harvard Westlake, Notre Dame and Bosco all have more heralded rosters with better prospects, but MD might just be the best TEAM in Cali. They are certainly playing like it right now. The way they dismantled Bosco made a lot of people, even nationally, take notice.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

Agreed. This team is a pleasure to watch which is a clinic in coaching. They have no ‘McDonalds All American’ type players like they have in the past, but they have great balance with 8 guys that contribute. Unselfish, ball movement, spacing, never taking a bad shot. Harvard Westlake, Notre Dame and Bosco all have more heralded rosters with better prospects, but MD might just be the best TEAM in Cali. They are certainly playing like it right now. The way they dismantled Bosco made a lot of people, even nationally, take notice.

Yes it’s awesome to watch. Looking forward to catching a couple more games this year. Really 5 different players that can drop 20 on any night. Long way to go and lots of great teams in California this year, but hoping the Monarchs get back on top as the premier program in the state this year. Just how God intended it to be! Lol

• Like 2

On 1/14/2024 at 2:14 PM, HurricaneNick said:

Really 5 different players that can drop 20 on any night

Reminds me of the ‘90 state championship team. I think it was five guys that averaged btw 10-15 each.  Not one star on that team.  Highest ranked recruit went to Santa Clara.  (Highest ranked recruit who played hoops, that is; of course Joey Harrington played football at Oregon.) The same team of the Jason Quinn miracle shot vs LBP.  Arguably the most memorable shot in MD history.  That team beat the O’Bannon bros, too, that year.  

• Like 2

On 1/14/2024 at 2:14 PM, HurricaneNick said:

hoping the Monarchs get back on top as the premier program in the state this year.

It would be so sweet to see Gary add yet another state title before it’s all said and done.  Not that he needs it.  He’s already the best to ever do it in CA by a long shot, but another one would be really nice.  And it’s not like today’s comp is any better than it was back when MD was dominating.  In fact, just the opposite; no way today’s Sierra Canyon, Cen10 et al could compete with the loaded Chesters, Shaws, Artesias, Faxes, D-Highs and MDs of yesteryear.  The prep schools these days have so diluted the talent pool at the schools that play for state titles, that I could see MD doing it.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MD87 said:

It would be so sweet to see Gary add yet another state title before it’s all said and done.  Not that he needs it.  He’s already the best to ever do it in CA by a long shot, but another one would be really nice.  And it’s not like today’s comp is any better than it was back when MD was dominating.  In fact, just the opposite; no way today’s Sierra Canyon, Cen10 et al could compete with the loaded Chesters, Shaws, Artesias, Faxes, D-Highs and MDs of yesteryear.  The prep schools these days have so diluted the talent pool at the schools that play for state titles, that I could see MD doing it.  

is  D-Highs Dominguez ?

2 hours ago, MD87 said:

It would be so sweet to see Gary add yet another state title before it’s all said and done.  Not that he needs it.  He’s already the best to ever do it in CA by a long shot, but another one would be really nice.  

Willie West says hold my beer!

2 totally different animals, but West accomplishment’s are right there.

21 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

Chandler, Kapono, Jacobsen, and company… great times for high school ball.

Indeed.  The best times.  It’s just too easy and cheap these days to start an “academy” that doesn’t even compete in the state playoffs. 

Willie West was a legend. In McKnight’s first season MD won CIF but lost to Crenshaw in the SoCal regional. The Shaw was lead by John Williams. If you are old enough to have seen him play in high school, enough said. I bet if you ask Gary who was the best player he ever coached against it would be John Williams. 

On 1/16/2024 at 9:27 PM, Bodysurf said:

Willie West was a legend. In McKnight’s first season MD won CIF but lost to Crenshaw in the SoCal regional. The Shaw was lead by John Williams. If you are old enough to have seen him play in high school, enough said. I bet if you ask Gary who was the best player he ever coached against it would be John Williams. 

That was my freshman year, if memory serves.  As for the best player Gary coached against, you may be right.  If not, it would have to be JKidd.  I will never forget sitting in the nosebleeds in a packed Arco in ‘92 and watching dude almost single-handedly take us apart.  IMHO, the best player I’ve ever seen at the HS level, and the only other one close is Schea.  Oh, and Mac McClung.  Drove all the way to podunk Gate City, VA to watch him break Iverson’s scoring record in person.  Kid was electric and super gracious to the mobs of fans.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cossacks said:

It prevails most of the time. But we can’t have people walking around out there without faux outrage… that would just be ridiculous.

12 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

OLu schedules St Frances Academy, BG, Sierra Canyon, RC, & Serra. Ensuring another 5-5/6-4 season at best. 

With that OOL schedule and the normal TL schedule, how many teams out there do you think could go 5-5 or 6-4?

14 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

OLu schedules St Frances Academy, BG, Sierra Canyon, RC, & Serra. Ensuring another 5-5/6-4 season at best. 

Doesn't OLU return a lot of starters next season ?  I still think for them that their schedule is way to ambitious, considering they will have to play MD and Bosco, and maybe once more in playoffs .  BG and SFA two heavies . Do you know anything about SC and who they have coming back ?