Some California news

Ararar

42 minutes ago, SoCalFball said:

At least they try to have parity lol

The four team open bracket makes even more sense for the southern section than it does for San Diego but even then, the fourth team is really an outlier in the bracket.  This year Sierra Canyon would not have been guaranteed to win the next level down.  They’ll have to employ the same formula that MD and SJB do to get enough more high level players from that area but I’m not sure even they can pull it off, although their support base does have deep enough pockets to brush CIF objections aside. 
Offensive skills players are a dime a dozen and even public schools can put together prolific offenses.  However, only MD/SJB have the ability to put defenses out there that can stop the better offenses. 
As for parity, Cen10 is a problem.  In a public only format you might as well hand them the trophy every single season.  Logan has created a program good enough to put into the big bracket, but at the same time, one that will never be good enough to win the open title simply because they will be lacking on defense.  He’ll always be considered a great coach but he’ll never have the accomplishments Ladoucer, Negro, Rollinson have.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, On2whls said:

The four team open bracket makes even more sense for the southern section than it does for San Diego but even then, the fourth team is really an outlier in the bracket.  This year Sierra Canyon would not have been guaranteed to win the next level down.  They’ll have to employ the same formula that MD and SJB do to get enough more high level players from that area but I’m not sure even they can pull it off, although their support base does have deep enough pockets to brush CIF objections aside. 
Offensive skills players are a dime a dozen and even public schools can put together prolific offenses.  However, only MD/SJB have the ability to put defenses out there that can stop the better offenses. 
As for parity, Cen10 is a problem.  In a public only format you might as well hand them the trophy every single season.  Logan has created a program good enough to put into the big bracket, but at the same time, one that will never be good enough to win the open title simply because they will be lacking on defense.  He’ll always be considered a great coach but he’ll never have the accomplishments Ladoucer, Negro, Rollinson have.  

After watching the sc-md game rewind, I think sc was as advertised . Maybe they can't beat  the top 3 , but I think there is a big gap between them and the rest . MD played a great game 

1 hour ago, CaliNorth said:

After watching the sc-md game rewind, I think sc was as advertised . Maybe they can't beat  the top 3 , but I think there is a big gap between them and the rest . MD played a great game 

If there was a big gap they wouldn’t have struggled with Serra Gardena.  MD was able to easily overpower them  because they have a defense that is as capable as the offense.  They are clearly in the handful of teams at the top of the next level down but they are 4-8 solid players away from a shot at the Southern section title. 

2 hours ago, On2whls said:

However, only MD/SJB have the ability to put defenses out there that can stop the better offenses.

I don't think it's necessarily about defense. I think it's mostly about linemen and depth. An offbeat system (like Cen10's or DLS's) can sometimes neutralize those advantages, but more often than not, SJB and MD are beating everyone else because their opponents are outmatched on the lines and because they are overall just not as deep. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

I don't think it's necessarily about defense. I think it's mostly about linemen and depth. An offbeat system (like Cen10's or DLS's) can sometimes neutralize those advantages, but more often than not, SJB and MD are beating everyone else because their opponents are outmatched on the lines and because they are overall just not as deep. 

Bingo

2 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

You cannot have one of the four major components 1. Oline 2. Offensive skills positions 3. DLine/linebacker 4. Defensive secondary significantly weaker than your opponents  corresponding unit. Depth certainly plays into that and is important.  But, it wasn’t lack of depth in Cen10’s secondary that allowed SJB receivers open with no defender within 10 yds of them several times in Friday’s game.  

Plus, I’m talking about beating MD/SJB in the playoffs.   You can have a good team that is flawed in one of the four major components and easily beat any teams in the Southern section with the exception of the big 2.  Cen10 is a tough out simply because of how fast they play but generally, if you can move the ball through the air, they’re almost always susceptible in that manner. 

Since 2015, can you say there has been a single SS opponent outside of MD that matched up to SJB favorably  in all 4 major components?  Doubtful, then throw depth into the equation and something has to go pretty wrong for you to lose.  

1 hour ago, dntn31 said:

100 agree.

Also if CC actually put more emphasis on special teams that could also close the gap a little more and use it to an advantage. I feel if they had any semblance of a kicking game they would’ve beat Palo Alto in the State bowl game in ‘11 and there are other games that Logan’s philosophy and their de-emphasize of that 1/3 of the game that bites them in the butt at times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, On2whls said:

You cannot have one of the four major components 1. Oline 2. Offensive skills positions 3. DLine/linebacker 4. Defensive secondary significantly weaker than your opponents  corresponding unit. Depth certainly plays into that and is important.  But, it wasn’t lack of depth in Cen10’s secondary that allowed SJB receivers open with no defender within 10 yds of them several times in Friday’s game.  

Plus, I’m talking about beating MD/SJB in the playoffs.   You can have a good team that is flawed in one of the four major components and easily beat any teams in the Southern section with the exception of the big 2.  Cen10 is a tough out simply because of how fast they play but generally, if you can move the ball through the air, they’re almost always susceptible in that manner. 

Since 2015, can you say there has been a single SS opponent outside of MD that matched up to SJB favorably  in all 4 major components?  Doubtful, then throw depth into the equation and something has to go pretty wrong for you to lose.  

I think Logan knew you can't play straight up defense vs sjb because they have no weakness on offense. He gambled and took away their running game and short crossing patterns by bringing everyone up and stacking the box, daring them to beat them over the top. Unfortunately for cen10,  Bosco is as good as anyone in going deep

14 minutes ago, MD87 said:

@HurricaneNick @Bodysurf Some Joe on YouTube said Ajon is out? 

I defer to Nick since I do not know the doctor’s report. I must admit that it sure looked bad since Ajon was pounding the ground in pain and couldn’t put any weight on it and had to be carried off of the field.

I’m optimistic we will have Jordon but he hasn’t seen real action in 5 weeks. Frazier is day to day based on how his  back feels.

59 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

I think Logan knew you can't play straight up defense vs sjb because they have no weakness on offense. He gambled and took away their running game and short crossing patterns by bringing everyone up and stacking the box, daring them to beat them over the top. Unfortunately for cen10,  Bosco is as good as anyone in going deep

Exactly my point.  He had to rely on his secondary.   BG, Punahou, Liberty, RSM, OLU, even Chapparal were able to throw on Cen10.  But, aside from BG which is very much the same as SJB/MD, Cen10 had enough advantage in the other three components to overcome the deficiency on the back end.  MD didn’t throw particularly well on them but that’s because the QB was simply off that night so they chose to do it on the ground mostly.  You have to have a complete and balanced team in all four components to beat those teams.  And based on their underclass teams, don’t look for that to change any time soon, plus there’s always transfers if needed.  It would be tough sledding in the open these days for even the best DLS teams. 

1 hour ago, Cossacks said:

100 agree.

Also if CC actually put more emphasis on special teams that could also close the gap a little more and use it to an advantage. I feel if they had any semblance of a kicking game they would’ve beat Palo Alto in the State bowl game in ‘11 and there are other games that Logan’s philosophy and their de-emphasize of that 1/3 of the game that bites them in the butt at times.

I’ve watched too many Cen10 games, you’ll have to explain the concept of special teams to me lol.  But, yes, you are correct.  At times it has bitten them.  Cen10 did kick a field goal and had one blocked on Friday but wide open receivers allowed for SJB to prevent falling behind the way most teams do against Cen10. 

But it does beg the question.  Should Logan be considered a great coach if he doesn’t believe in that aspect of the game enough to put sufficient emphasis on it?  

20 minutes ago, On2whls said:

Exactly my point.  He had to rely on his secondary.   BG, Punahou, Liberty, RSM, OLU, even Chapparal were able to throw on Cen10.  But, aside from BG which is very much the same as SJB/MD, Cen10 had enough advantage in the other three components to overcome the deficiency on the back end.  MD didn’t throw particularly well on them but that’s because the QB was simply off that night so they chose to do it on the ground mostly.  You have to have a complete and balanced team in all four components to beat those teams.  And based on their underclass teams, don’t look for that to change any time soon, plus there’s always transfers if needed.  It would be tough sledding in the open these days for even the best DLS teams. 

Agreed.  Bosco is going to get their 40 plus regardless. Don't let them chew up clock by doing. It  If they get the big plays and score quickly so be it. Flip side is Cen10 gets ball back with more time and opportunity. Their real chance is try and get a shootout.  Difference for Cen10 this game compared to earlier games you mentioned is they didn't turn it over like they did the others. 

On a similar point,  this is why I think Bosco and MD are better than Gorman. Gorman could not stop those teams with their defense,  but Bosco and MD have defense to limit Gorman offense 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, On2whls said:

I’ve watched too many Cen10 games, you’ll have to explain the concept of special teams to me lol.  But, yes, you are correct.  At times it has bitten them.  Cen10 did kick a field goal and had one blocked on Friday but wide open receivers allowed for SJB to prevent falling behind the way most teams do against Cen10. 

But it does beg the question.  Should Logan be considered a great coach if he doesn’t believe in that aspect of the game enough to put sufficient emphasis on it?  

I love Logan but his decision to go for 2 when they were already up by 8 is inexcusable and likely cost Cen10 the game. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

I defer to Nick since I do not know the doctor’s report. I must admit that it sure looked bad since Ajon was pounding the ground in pain and couldn’t put any weight on it and had to be carried off of the field.

I’m optimistic we will have Jordon but he hasn’t seen real action in 5 weeks. Frazier is day to day based on how his  back feels.

Nate can rest against the JV team from San Mateo.  Time to man up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

I love Logan but his decision to go for 2 when they were already up by 8 is inexcusable and likely cost Cen10 the game. 

The lack of creativity on the two point conversion was also a bad decision.  It took them 3 plays to get a yard to score the TD.  A running play into the heart of the defense with the game on the line was not smart.  Seeing that nobody was doubling any receiver it would have been better to roll Longstreet right (he doesn’t run well to the left) and force the secondary to leave the receivers or see if the contain could prevent Longstreet from getting to the pylon.  It was simply a BAD call.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, On2whls said:

The lack of creativity on the two point conversion was also a bad decision.  It took them 3 plays to get a yard to score the TD.  A running play into the heart of the defense with the game on the line was not smart.  Seeing that nobody was doubling any receiver it would have been better to roll Longstreet right (he doesn’t run well to the left) and force the secondary to leave the receivers or see if the contain could prevent Longstreet from getting to the pylon.  It was simply a BAD call.  

Agreed. RPO would have been what I called.