For all our handicappers: DLS vs. Folsom

Belly Bob

What will the final score of the DLS Folsom game be, which will take place at DLS HS in the first week of the season?

Here's the skinny on DLS as far as I can reckon it.

Ancient history

DLS is 2-0 against Folsom and hasn't lost game to a NorCal opponent since 1991.

Home field advantage

DLS has lost exactly 4 games at home since 2004; and 3 of those losses came against OOS teams; and the outcome of each of those 3 games was determined in the final moments of the game. You have to go all the way back to 2004 to find a game in which DLS lost at home by more than 2 points.

DLS's early season struggles

Many people around here think that it's a myth that DLS struggles early in the season. But consider how many times they've barely escaped with a win against a NorCal opponent only to roll such teams later in the playoffs. For example, in 2016, Freedom rolled Antioch 65-28 early in the season; DLS barely escaped Antioch 28-21 early; in the playoffs, DLS rolled undefeated Freedom 42-7. In 2009, DLS barely escaped Monte Vista 28-21 early; in the playoffs, DLS rolled Monte Vista 44-7.

Here's a sketch of early season scores in the order in which the games were played.

--

--

28-27 Servite

21-23 East

28-21 Antioch

28-27 San Ramon Valley

--

21-14 Serra

26-23 (20T) Bells

14-7 Serra

6-30 DBP

30-31 (OT) Lakeland

32-21 Amador Valley

28-21 Monte Vista

29-28 Serra

27-21 Layola

21-23 DBP

0-7 Clovis West

20-39 Bellevue

12-30 Clovis West

7-7 Palma

Common opponent

Last year, DLS and Folsom each played Central. DLS won 49-30 at home. Folsom won 54-35 at home.

Central's offense was not unlike Folsom's: they liked to air it out and they had a dual-threat QB taking the snaps.

The game between Folsom and Central was closer than the final score might indicate. It was 40-35 with just a few minutes left to play. Folsom scored twice in the final 3 minutes of the game.

DLS, by contrast, was in control of the game by the end of the 3Q, when the score was 42-30. Moreover, DLS played the game without their best offensive player (Robinson) and arguably their best defensive player (Letuligasenoa), who were both injured the week before in the game against BG.

Offensive personnel

On offense, DLS will lose their best offensive player (Robinson), who rushed for over 1,000 yards on 96 carries.

They will return the two QBs who shared the starting spot last year. But rumor has it that the starting QB next year will be a sophomore who is supposed to have some talent.

Only one starter on the offensive line will return, although there are two other kids coming back who got a lot of playing time as juniors last year. Still, when DLS plays Folsom, it will be the very first time that that QB and that O-line will have started a game together as a unit.

DLS also returns two running backs who carried the ball quite a bit last year: To'oto'o, who rushed for almost 500 yards on 57 carries as a junior; and Garrett, who rushed for just over 500 yards on 68 carries as a sophomore.

DLS will lose its number one receiver, and they didn't have a number two. So it's anybody's guess who the sophomore QB will be throwing the ball to next year. My guess is that the **** TE Foskey will be one of his favorite targets. 

Defensive personnel

DLS will return 3 of its 4 defensive backs, and 2 of its linebackers, including ***** To'oto'o and *** Wilson. They will lose Riso, who was an all-EBAL linebacker even if he wasn't a prospect.

They will return 2 defensive lineman, including **** Foskey at DE. They will lose **** Letuligaseno, who will be playing for USC next year.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2018 at 11:31 AM, TheBlockIsHot said:

By the way- we put more points on Central than you did. We gave up 1 more point but had our reserves in early.

Very telling.

I'm hoping that some of the Folsom guys can provide the relevant information on the Bulldogs.

But I want to warn the handicappers about the Block. I don't know whether he's a liar or just a low IQ person or both, but two of the three claims he makes in the post above are demonstrably false.

Folsom gave up 5 more points than DLS, not 1 more. And Folsom's star players were playing in the final minutes of the game. 

So keep that in mind, if he's the one informing you about Folsom. 

7 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

I'm hoping that some of the Folsom guys can provide the relevant information on the Bulldogs.

But I want to warn the handicappers about the Block. I don't know whether he's a liar or just a low IQ person or both, but two of the three claims he makes in the post above are demonstrably false. Folsom gave up 5 more points than DLS, not 1 more. And Folsom's star players were playing in the final minutes of the game. 

So keep that in mind, if he's the one informing you about Folsom. 

We scored 5 more points. It won't matter when we win in week 0. 

37 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

What will the final score be of the DLS Folsom game, which will take place at DLS in the first week of the season?

Ancient history

Home field advantage

DLS has lost exactly 4 games at home since 2004; and 3 of those losses came against OOS teams; and the outcome of each of those 3 games was determined in the final moments of the game. You have to go all the way back to 2004 to find a game in which DLS lost at home by more than 2 points.

Many people around here think that it's a myth that DLS struggles early in the season. But consider how many times they've barely escaped with a win against a NorCal opponent only to roll such teams later in the playoffs. For example, in 2016, Freedom rolled Antioch 65-28 early in the season; DLS barely escaped Antioch 28-21 early; in the playoffs, DLS rolled undefeated Freedom 42-7. In 2009, DLS barely escaped Monte Vista 28-21 early; in the playoffs, DLS rolled Monte Vista 44-7.

Here's a sketch of early season scores in the order in which the games were played.

28-27 Servite

21-23 East

28-21 Antioch

28-27 San Ramon Valley

--

21-14 Serra

26-23 (20T) Bells

14-7 Serra

6-30 DBP

30-31 (OT) Lakeland

32-21 Amador Valley

28-21 Monte Vista

29-28 Serra

27-21 Layola

21-23 DBP

0-7 Clovis West

20-39 Bellevue

12-30 Clovis West

7-7 Palma

Common opponent

Last year, DLS and Folsom each played Central. DLS won 49-30 at home. Folsom won 54-35 at home.

Central's offense was not unlike Folsom's: they liked to air it out and they had a dual-threat QB behind center. 

The game between Folsom and Central was closer than the final score might indicate. It was 40-35 with just a few minutes left to play. Folsom scored twice in the final 3 minutes of the game.

DLS, by contrast, was in control of the game by the end of the 3Q, when the score was 42-30. Moreover, DLS played the game without their best offensive player (Robinson) and arguably their best defensive player (Letuligasenoa), who were both injured the week before in the game against BG.

Offensive personnel

On offense, DLS will lose their best offensive player (Robinson), who rushed for over 1,000 yards on 96 carries.

They will return the two QBs who shared the starting spot last year. But rumor has it that the starting QB next year will be a sophomore who is supposed to have some talent.

Only one starter on the offensive line will return, although there are two other kids coming back who got a lot of playing time as juniors last year. Still, when DLS plays Folsom, it will be the very first time that that QB and that O-line will have started a game together as a unit.

DLS also returns two running backs who carried the ball quite a bit last year: To'oto'o, who rushed for almost 500 yards on 57 carries as a junior; and Garrett, who rushed for just over 500 yards on 68 carries as a sophomore.

DLS will lose its number one receiver, and they didn't have a no two. So it's anybody's guess who the sophomore QB will be throwing the ball to next year. My guess is that the **** TE Foskey will be one of his favorite targets. 

Defensive personnel

DLS will return 3 of its 4 defensive backs, and 2 of its linebackers, including ***** To'oto'o and *** Wilson. They will lose Riso, who was an all-EBAL linebacker even if he wasn't a prospect.

They will return 2 defensive lineman, including **** Foskey at DE. They will lose **** Letuligaseno, who will play at USC next year.

To'oto'o is going to do really well next year. Good luck to tackling that uso when gets the ball on a veer dive...here is his highlight video...

Image result for steamroll

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, Eddyr2 said:

To'oto'o is going to do really well next year. Good luck to tackling that uso when gets the ball on a veer dive...here is his highlight video...

Image result for steamroll

I want to laugh at this, but that guy looks like got hurt.

Rab never has this sort of dilemma; he’s always down with hoping people get hurt.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

Just read a rumor on the NorCal board that some have confirmed. Isaiah Rutherford, a stud 2 way DB/RB from Jesuit-Carmichael (a private school) will be transferring to Folsom. The word is his entire family has moved to Folsom and is looking to cut the cost of private tuition and that he will be eligible immediately. I can’t confirm any of this, just reporting what I read.

Rutherford is a 4 Star with an offer from Alabama among others.

If true, this week 0 against DLS just got even more interesting...

22 hours ago, Folsom Prison said:

All signs point to this being true and Folsom just got another stud playmaker on both sides of the ball. Dilly dilly

16 hours ago, Folsom Prison said:

Ngata 100% will be [a 5-star recruit] and they have 2-3 more that could very well be by the time they’re seniors.

Who are the 2 or 3 other kids that might be 5-star recruits by their senior year?

On 2/19/2018 at 3:13 PM, Belly Bob said:

What will the final score be of the DLS Folsom game, which will take place at DLS in the first week of the season?

Ancient history

Home field advantage

--

--

28-27 Servite

21-23 East

28-21 Antioch

28-27 San Ramon Valley

--

21-14 Serra

26-23 (20T) Bells

14-7 Serra

6-30 DBP

30-31 (OT) Lakeland

32-21 Amador Valley

28-21 Monte Vista

29-28 Serra

27-21 Layola

21-23 DBP

0-7 Clovis West

20-39 Bellevue

12-30 Clovis West

7-7 Palma

Common opponent

Central's offense was not unlike Folsom's: they liked to air it out and they had a dual-threat QB taking the snaps.

Offensive personnel

DLS will lose its number one receiver, and they didn't have a number two. So it's anybody's guess who the sophomore QB will be throwing the ball to next year. My guess is that the **** TE Foskey will be one of his favorite targets. 

Defensive personnel

They will return 2 defensive lineman, including **** Foskey at DE. They will lose **** Letuligaseno, who will be playing for USC next year.

That's a lot of information.

I'll take a stab.

DLS 56 Folsom 45

1 hour ago, Belly Bob said:

Who are the 2 or 3 other kids that might be 5-star recruits by their senior year?

Daniyel Ngata & Elijah Badger. If the Isaiah rutherford transfer is true although he's not a 5 star he's a current 4 star with offers from everywhere including Alabama. 

I see this game being a high scoring slug fest. I personally don't think either team can stop each other. Folsom has way too many weapons for DLS to slow down and Folsom won't be able to stop the veer. DLS will have beefier lines, more disciplined coaching, and home field advantage. Folsom will have the better athletes and an actual mobile QB this time. DLS feasted on Folsom the last time around because Browning can't run to save his life. Bennett can't throw as well as Browning obviously but has better targets to throw to and can run better than forest gump. He's going to be a much bigger problem for DLS than Browning ever was. 

Let's also remember, for those that actually watched the games, Folsom's arrogant refusal to punt the ball. They were literally going for it on 4th and 20 on their own 40. Foslom's coaches won't be so stupid this time around. 

When all the dust is settled, 42-35 FOLSOM. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Folsom Prison said:

Daniyel Ngata & Elijah Badger. If the Isaiah rutherford transfer is true although he's not a 5 star he's a current 4 star with offers from everywhere including Alabama. 

I see this game being a high scoring slug fest. I personally don't think either team can stop each other. Folsom has way too many weapons for DLS to slow down and Folsom won't be able to stop the veer. DLS will have beefier lines, more disciplined coaching, and home field advantage. Folsom will have the better athletes and an actual mobile QB this time. DLS feasted on Folsom the last time around because Browning can't run to save his life. Bennett can't throw as well as Browning obviously but has better targets to throw to and can run better than forest gump. He's going to be a much bigger problem for DLS than Browning ever was. 

Let's also remember, for those that actually watched the games, Folsom's arrogant refusal to punt the ball. They were literally going for it on 4th and 20 on their own 40. Foslom's coaches won't be so stupid this time around. 

When all the dust is settled, 42-35 FOLSOM. 

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

20 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

From the DLS perspective, this is actually a pretty good breakdown. Thanks

You're welcome.

Let me know if I got something wrong or if I left out some relevant information.

I wish the Folsom guys would give us the honest beat on the Bulldogs.

I've got a lot of time to think about how this game is gonna play out, but right now, I've only got half of the relevant information.