For all our handicappers: DLS vs. Folsom

Belly Bob

23 hours ago, Folsom Prison said:

Daniyel Ngata & Elijah Badger. If the Isaiah rutherford transfer is true although he's not a 5 star he's a current 4 star with offers from everywhere including Alabama. 

I see this game being a high scoring slug fest. I personally don't think either team can stop each other. Folsom has way too many weapons for DLS to slow down and Folsom won't be able to stop the veer. DLS will have beefier lines, more disciplined coaching, and home field advantage. Folsom will have the better athletes and an actual mobile QB this time. DLS feasted on Folsom the last time around because Browning can't run to save his life. Bennett can't throw as well as Browning obviously but has better targets to throw to and can run better than forest gump. He's going to be a much bigger problem for DLS than Browning ever was. 

Let's also remember, for those that actually watched the games, Folsom's arrogant refusal to punt the ball. They were literally going for it on 4th and 20 on their own 40. Foslom's coaches won't be so stupid this time around. 

When all the dust is settled, 42-35 FOLSOM. 

Considering the early season struggles DLS typically has, I could see Folsom winning by an even wider margin. 

As for those previous games where Folsom refused to punt, I don't think had they punted the ball back than that it would have really made any real change in the dominance DLS displayed in those games over Folsom; however, those games are ancient history anyways. 

18 hours ago, Eddyr2 said:

Folsom has a bigger RB then To’oto’o?

What does size have to do with it? The combo of Ngata and Rutherford running the ball for Folsom is more talented. To'oto'o will be the most talented LB on the field and one of the very best defensive players, if not the best. He's obviously a huge threat running the ball too, but that's more system than his talent. He's playing defense at the next level.

is this a 7v7 game or a football game? Folsom’s front 7 looks to small to stop the Veer and being fast vs the veer just means you get to the wrong guy faster. Bosco and MD beat DLS because of the Dline not skill players. 170 pound WR won’t stop the dive play. 

Don’t think these Folsom Kids understands how hard it is to stop the veer on every play. One kid follows the ball instead of their assignment and it mean 6 points for DLS.

I don't disagree with you. I've said multiple times that DLS will have the clear advantage up front and that I don't know how Folsom will slow the Spartans rush attack.

I guess I’m just confused about how a team that gave up 182 yards on the ground to helix is going to stop the DLS

Well, my first thought is that a different team will take the field next August than the one that played against Helix. You gotta stop fixating on results from last season. They. Do. Not. Matter. New year, different teams. Folsom's defense could be much improved from last season --- or they could be worse. We don't know yet.

While I personally believe they will find it difficult to get stops, their offensive output could put more pressure on the Spartans offense to play catchup and of course there's always the great equalizer of turnovers. DLS has historically been on point against all NorCal teams, but what if the timing of the veer is off wherein they have some missed exchanges? If Folsom gets a few turnovers, it might be all they need even if they can't get traditional stops.

Something to think about.

3 minutes ago, nascar624 said:

Considering the early season struggles DLS typically has, I could see Folsom winning by an even wider margin. 

As for those previous games where Folsom refused to punt, I don't think had they punted the ball back than that it would have really made any real change in the dominance DLS displayed in those games over Folsom; however, those games are ancient history anyways. 

Agreed that they still would have lost both games but the refusal to punt definitely led to more points on the board for DLS. Folsom has never liked to punt and I would argue it's one of their achilles heels. 

3 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

Well, my first thought is that a different team will take the field next August than the one that played against Helix. You gotta stop fixating on results from last season. They. Do. Not. Matter. New year, different teams.

This is one of the biggest things many on this board fail to realize. 

15 minutes ago, Folsom Prison said:

Agreed that they still would have lost both games but the refusal to punt definitely led to more points on the board for DLS. Folsom has never liked to punt and I would argue it's one of their achilles heels. 

This is one of the biggest things many on this board fail to realize. 

Same clowns want to cite games from 5 years ago as a measuring stick for a game in 2018. Craziest way of thinking I've ever heard. 

7 hours ago, DLS_Spartan said:

@PrepGridiron @GloryDays anyone else wanna meetup at Rocco's or Calicraft before/after the game?

4 hours ago, GloryDays said:

I'll have the kids with me, so I'd be hard pressed to do much other than get them to the game.  

2 hours ago, World Citizen said:

We should all meet up before and after.  @15yds4gibberish @Cossacks @AztecPadre you and those you mentioned.  Not sure who else is in NorCal.  The Block should join us unless he is praying before the game which would make sense.

2 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

I'm down.  Now that my son graduates this year, my Friday nights are open for watching many other games.  

2 hours ago, TheBlockIsHot said:

I will be there and am down! Just tell me when and where!

1 hour ago, LT4Spartan06 said:

I will be there, would be cool to meet everyone!

If there is enough interest, I’d be down to creating the first PG meet and greet. I know Calicraft and Roccos have been thrown out. I’d also suggest roundtable clubhouse as Im sure we can get one of their private rooms. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

If there is enough interest, I’d be down to creating the first PG meet and greet. I know Calicraft and Roccos have been thrown out. I’d also suggest roundtable clubhouse as Im sure we can get one of their private rooms. 

This group would be a VERY interesting one. Especially with some beers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrepGridiron said:

59 minutes ago, TheBlockIsHot said:

This group would be a VERY interesting one. Especially with some beers. 

If you meet up after, the loser(s) pick(s) up the tab.

The Block can handle it. I hear that he's affluent

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

What does size have to do with it? The combo of Ngata and Rutherford running the ball for Folsom is more talented. To'oto'o will be the most talented LB on the field and one of the very best defensive players, if not the best. He's obviously a huge threat running the ball too, but that's more system than his talent. He's playing defense at the next level.

I don't disagree with you. I've said multiple times that DLS will have the clear advantage up front and that I don't know how Folsom will slow the Spartans rush attack.

Well, my first thought is that a different team will take the field next August than the one that played against Helix. You gotta stop fixating on results from last season. They. Do. Not. Matter. New year, different teams. Folsom's defense could be much improved from last season --- or they could be worse. We don't know yet.

While I personally believe they will find it difficult to get stops, their offensive output could put more pressure on the Spartans offense to play catchup and of course there's always the great equalizer of turnovers. DLS has historically been on point against all NorCal teams, but what if the timing of the veer is off wherein they have some missed exchanges? If Folsom gets a few turnovers, it might be all they need even if they can't get traditional stops.

• you said Folsom was bigger at RB. that's why i brought up To'oto'o's size and in the veer size it matters. DLS best team had 2 huge LB's in the back field.
  • being better at the line is still the most important part of playing football. MD's O-line and front 7 beat DLS last year, not JT not Amon-Ra...
  • Last year matters because you can see what talent Folsom had last year, how they played and then see who they got coming back. You can also see how a front 7 plays together to evaluating coaching/schemes. Folsom has a ton of skill talent but not a lot of talent in the front 7. They look small and slow off the ball on defense. They don't seem to get a lot of push down into the back field. LB's seem to have more of laterally first step then down hill. they remind me a lot of OLu
  • Unless Folsom gets a lot quicker off the ball and bigger upfront, it's going to be a huge problem in the 2nd half. They seem built to stop a spread offence but not ready for the Veer. Even if they win, they would be mauled by Bosco or MD in the Open.

more things to think about.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

the first 2 plays from this starting point is the issue:

48 minutes ago, Eddyr2 said:
  • you said Folsom was bigger at RB. that's why i brought up To'oto'o's size and in the veer size it matters. DLS best team had 2 huge LB's in the back field.
  • being better at the line is still the most important part of playing football. MD's O-line and front 7 beat DLS last year, not JT not Amon-Ra...
  • Last year matters because you can see what talent Folsom had last year, how they played and then see who they got coming back. You can also see how a front 7 plays together to evaluating coaching/schemes. Folsom has a ton of skill talent but not a lot of talent in the front 7. They look small and slow off the ball on defense. They don't seem to get a lot of push down into the back field. LB's seem to have more of laterally first step then down hill. they remind me a lot of OLu
  • Unless Folsom gets a lot quicker off the ball and bigger upfront, it's going to be a huge problem in the 2nd half. They seem built to stop a spread offence but not ready for the Veer. Even if they win, they would be mauled by Bosco or MD in the Open.

Preach homie!!!

2 hours ago, Eddyr2 said:

I didn't refer to RB and size on their own, as I realize To'oto'o is larger than Daniyel Ngata.

I said this would be the first time in a while that a NorCal team had more talent at the skill positions than DLS. I said Folsom would be more talented at QB, RB and WR. And on the whole would be bigger and faster at all those positions.

6 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

I didn't refer to RB and size on their own, as I realize To'oto'o is larger than Daniyel Ngata.

I said this would be the first time in a while that a NorCal team had more talent at the skill positions than DLS. I said Folsom would be more talented at QB, RB and WR. And on the whole would be bigger and faster at all those positions.

724DBFFF-BF52-47DF-8171-F8A6F2061F16.jpeg

• Unless Folsom gets a lot quicker off the ball and bigger upfront, it's going to be a huge problem in the 2nd half. They seem built to stop a spread offence but not ready for the Veer.

Have you seen me disagree with these points anywhere? You're preaching to the choir.

As hard as you try to convince yourself otherwise, last year does not matter. At all. The teams may be 'similar' due to returning players, but the make up of the teams still different as well as younger players maturing. Lots of factors will have changed.

Same logic why 2014 Folsom was much different than 2012/2013. They had new players in the mix (e.g., Jonah Williams) and some of the returning players greatly improved (Cody Creason). The 2014 team was not at all like the 2013 team. I'm not a Folsom homer and I can tell you that with absolute certainty.

Furthermore, how many times have you seen a team flip a script on an opponent the very next season? The way you're thinking, that would never happen.

• Even if they win, they would be mauled by Bosco or MD in the Open.

Perhaps, but perhaps not. It's just your unsubstantiated opinion. While I tend to side with that opinion, I'll reserve total judgement until I see how Folsom fares against DLS first. If they somehow manage to hold their own physically and win the game impressively, I'd completely disagree.

20 minutes ago, Eddyr2 said:

724DBFFF-BF52-47DF-8171-F8A6F2061F16.jpeg

You don't need to circle what I said. I know what I said and even repeated it. You're extrapolating out of that what you want. But the fact is I didn't flat say "Ngata/Rutherford is bigger" than To'oto'o. If I had, you would have circled that. But I didn't so you couldn't. Instead you're picking the one player out of a half dozen that is the outlier when my statement is true for the rest.

As our good friend @Pops would say, "you're picking fly shit out of pepper". More power to you, I guess. If you need confirmation from me that Henry has more size, then you got it. But you're missing the point.

How's this:

Folsom will field a team that has talent/size/speed advantages at QB, WR and RB (with the lone exception that To'oto'o has more size than the younger Ngata). Assuming Rutherford transfers from Jesuit, they are possibly more talented at DB too.

^^ Does that do it for you?

Sheesh. 9_9

2 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

Have you seen me disagree with these points anywhere? You're preaching to the choir.

As hard as you try to convince yourself otherwise, last year does not matter. At all. The teams may be 'similar' due to returning players, but the make up of the teams still different as well as younger players maturing. Lots of factors will have changed.

Same logic why 2014 Folsom was much different than 2012/2013. They had new players in the mix (e.g., Jonah Williams) and some of the returning players greatly improved (Cody Creason). The 2014 team was not at all like the 2013 team. I'm not a Folsom homer and I can tell you that with absolute certainty.

Furthermore, how many times have you seen a team flip a script on an opponent the very next season? The way you're thinking, that would never happen.

Perhaps, but perhaps not. It's just your unsubstantiated opinion. While I tend to side with that opinion, I'll reserve total judgement until I see how Folsom fares against DLS first. If they somehow manage to hold their own physically and win the game impressively, I'd completely disagree.

After rewatching folsom’s D1-aa Bowl Game here is my indepth analysis of their defense...

CA404D73-C0BB-4997-9B0B-588BD6634562.gif

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

You don't need to circle what I said. I know what I said and even repeated it. You're extrapolating out of that what you want. But the fact is I didn't flat say "Ngata/Rutherford is bigger" than To'oto'o. If I had, you would have circled that. But I didn't so you couldn't. Instead you're picking the one player out of a half dozen that is the outlier when my statement is true for the rest.

As our good friend @Pops would say, "you're picking fly shit out of pepper". More power to you, I guess. If you need confirmation from me that Henry has more size, then you got it. But you're missing the point.

How's this:

^^ Does that do it for you?

Sheesh.

Yes, much better, thank you!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Eddyr2 said:

After rewatching folsom’s D1-aa Bowl Game here is my indepth analysis of their defense...

CA404D73-C0BB-4997-9B0B-588BD6634562.gif

Again, I don't know why you keep pressing this point with me. I've not disagreed that DLS should have a clear advantage on the lines and at LB.

Still, doesn't mean Folsom's defense won't be better than it was last season. Furthermore, DLS was once known for holding their own and winning games despite size disadvantages on the lines. Didn't they do that in 2013 against a ginormous SJB team (yes, I realize they lost)? And LBP in 2001?

Just because Folsom might be smaller or less physical doesn't mean they can't win. Same goes for DLS. Just because they won't have Folsom's talent at the skill positions doesn't mean they can't win.

2 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

Again, I don't know why you keep pressing this point with me. I've not disagreed that DLS should have a clear advantage on the lines and at LB.

Still, doesn't mean Folsom's defense won't be better than it was last season. Furthermore, DLS was once known for holding their own and winning games despite size disadvantages on the lines. Didn't they do that in 2013 against a ginormous SJB team (yes, I realize they lost)? And LBP in 2001?

Just because Folsom might be smaller or less physical doesn't mean they can't win. Same goes for DLS. Just because they won't have Folsom's talent at the skill positions doesn't mean they can't win.

I don’t think you under stand what I’m saying. DSL will always be “small” on the o-line but you have to be fast off the line and big in the  “a” gaps if your going to stop them. The way they run the veer your “a” gap players have to have one foot in the backfield before the QB can make his first read. That’s all I’m saying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddyr2 said:

I don’t think you under stand what I’m saying. DSL will always be “small” on the o-line but you have to be fast off the line and big in the  “a” gaps if your going to stop them. The way they run the veer your “a” gap players have to have one foot in the backfield before the QB can make his first read. That’s all I’m saying.

This is terrible advice, and Folsom would be well served to totaly ignore it.

@PrepGridiron we should probably wipe this from the interests.

xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 1