For all our handicappers: DLS vs. Folsom

Belly Bob

13 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

I count the 2004 tie to Clayton as the day the Nor Cal streak ended.  That one was inexcusable (almost as bad as Clayton going for the tie instead of taking a shot at immortality--of course, who knew that it would still be 13 years and counting after the fact?)

1 hour ago, Wosinc said:

DLS may lose but it won’t be because they are “due.”

The law of averages doesn’t apply to football games.

Of course I agree with you that past outcomes don't affect future outcomes in any direct causal way.

But I think that past outcomes can give us some evidence about future outcomes.

For example, we might compare what we expect to be DLS's 2018 team to those past DLS teams that barely escaped with a win against the likes of Serra or Monte Vista early in the season; and then compare those Serra and Monte Vista teams to what we expect to be Folsom's 2018 team; and on that basis, we might predict an outcome with some degree of confidence.

Yeah, it's pretty messy, and some may (rightly) think it's a waste of time.

But, hey, it's something to do when you're not doing something else.

49 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

Of course I agree with you that past outcomes don't affect future outcomes in any direct causal way.

But I think that past outcomes can give us some evidence about future outcomes.

For example, we might compare what we expect to be DLS's 2018 team to those past DLS teams that barely escaped with a win against the likes of Serra or Monte Vista early in the season; and then compare those Serra and Monte Vista teams to what we expect to be Folsom's 2018 team; and on that basis, we might predict an outcome with some degree of confidence.

Yeah, it's pretty messy, and some may (rightly) think it's a waste of time.

But, hey, it's something to do when you're not doing something else.

I think there is some merit to past games being somewhat of an accurate predictor of future games. Because of styles and history. 

Reason being is that there are plenty of people, including myself, who believe DLS will win this game. And basically the only thing DLS has going for it is being DLS and the way that they play. DLS will  be ready for this game and play with a physicality that Folsom hasn’t even come close to seeing in their cute little run....same thing back in ‘12 and ‘13. 

The game will be good for sure.

Being that its the first game of the year and the biggest achilles heel for DLS has always been a legit mobile QB, I can see Folsom taking this one.  Also we can finally stop hearing about the NorCal streak.  I say Folsom by like 10.  If they were to play later on in the season it would narrow the gap to Folsom by 3 or so.  Pretty much a pickem.  But first game against a legit mobile QB?  Do not see sparta on the winning end. Just my .02 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NotBigdaddybloom said:

When's the last time DLS lost to a NorCal opponent?

When's the last time DLS played a NorCal opponent with this much talent? If they have played an equally talented team (or better), it surely hasn't happened often.

Remember that, sans 2012/13, there wasn't a regional game to pit them against the next best NorCal team each season. Those 2 Folsom teams weren't as talented as this upcoming one will be. Or as good as 2010 PALY or any of Grant Union's best teams from 1996 - 2010.

DLS certainly has to be the favorite given history and their physical line play, but this will be the most talented NorCal team they've faced in many years. Folsom is more talented than the Serra and Bellarmine teams they nearly lost to several years back or the PITT team they did lose to in 1991.

Will that mean a thing? We'll all find out in 6 months.

1 hour ago, AztecPadre said:

Being that its the first game of the year and the biggest achilles heel for DLS has always been a legit mobile QB, I can see Folsom taking this one.  Also we can finally stop hearing about the NorCal streak.  I say Folsom by like 10.  If they were to play later on in the season it would narrow the gap to Folsom by 3 or so.  Pretty much a pickem.  But first game against a legit mobile QB?  Do not see sparta on the winning end. Just my .02 

I don't know if Folsom is the better team or not, but I think it's safe to say that Folsom has more talent at the skill positions and it's been a while since a NorCal team could say that. A team like Antioch had the best player on the field when they had Najee Harris, but DLS still had more talent everywhere else. Pitt has fielded teams that possibly had more speed, but they weren't more talented on the whole.

Folsom will field a team that has talent/size/speed advantages at QB, WR and RB. Assuming Rutherford transfers from Jesuit, they are possibly more talented at DB too.

Per usual, the Spartans will have the advantage on the lines and at LB with Henry To'oto'o. But likely nowhere else.

44 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

When's the last time DLS played a NorCal opponent with this much talent? If they have played an equally talented team (or better), it surely hasn't happened often.

Remember that, sans 2012/13, there wasn't a regional game to pit them against the next best NorCal team each season. Those 2 Folsom teams weren't as talented as this upcoming one will be. Or as good as 2010 PALY or any of Grant Union's best teams from 1996 - 2010.

DLS certainly has to be the favorite given history and their physical line play, but this will be the most talented NorCal team they've faced in many years. Folsom is more talented than the Serra and Bellarmine teams they nearly lost to several years back or the PITT team they did lose to in 1991.

Will that mean a thing? We'll all find out in 6 months.

And much much better than SRV that lost by a point.  

48 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

I don't know if Folsom is the better team or not, but I think it's safe to say that Folsom has more talent at the skill positions and it's been a while since a NorCal team could say that. A team like Antioch had the best player on the field when they had Najee Harris, but DLS still had more talent everywhere else. Pitt has fielded teams that possibly had more speed, but they weren't more talented on the whole.

Folsom will field a team that has talent/size/speed advantages at QB, WR and RB. Assuming Rutherford transfers from Jesuit, they are possibly more talented at DB too.

Per usual, the Spartans will have the advantage on the lines and at LB with Henry To'oto'o. But likely nowhere else.

Folsom has a bigger RB then To’oto’o?

is this a 7v7 game or a football game? Folsom’s front 7 looks to small to stop the Veer and being fast vs the veer just means you get to the wrong guy faster. Bosco and MD beat DLS because of the Dline not skill players. 170 pound WR won’t stop the dive play. 

Don’t think these Folsom Kids understands how hard it is to stop the veer on every play. One kid follows the ball instead of their assignment and it mean 6 points for DLS.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eddyr2 said:

Folsom has a bigger RB then To’oto’o?

is this a 7v7 game or a football game? Folsom’s front 7 looks to small to stop the Veer and being fast vs the veer just means you get to the wrong guy faster. Bosco and MD beat DLS because of the Dline not skill players. 170 pound WR won’t stop the dive play. 

Don’t think these Folsom Kids understands how hard it is to stop the veer on every play. One kid follows the ball instead of their assignment and it mean 6 points for DLS.

You go hush now.

Woe is Sparta.

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, GloryDays said:

Woe is Sparta...

I sure hope our tiny little guys make it out of this game in one piece.

Hopefully not more than two.

I think the parents need to stop this before somebody gets hurt.  

Seriously though there may be a lot of 5 star kids running around when the Spartans start hitting them.  The line play and physical, hard hitting D will wear on Folsom.  As long as the TO's is not like the MD game ( 😠 ), I see a 45-28 DLS win.  😎

• Like 1