The best team in recent years

FootballGuy

2 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

I'm gonna surprise people here, BTW 

I think people honestly are answering MD because it's the freshest thing on their mind but that BTW team was loaded

Also keep in mind they did beat Miami Central who dominated the state finals over Armwood in 6a which is considered the toughest classification in the state 

That might have been the best small school team (1-4a) in Florida history that year 

Gotta agree with u here. 

2016 Gorman dealt with some adversity, but they managed to find a way to win. Gotta respect that.

2017 MD was a great team. Wasn't really tested that much. Was it because they were that good or their opponents were trash? 

2013 Booker T...... them boys definitely played with that Miami swagger. They were loaded. If MD or BG played them, they would definitely experience a new brand of football, and I'm not sure if either team would be able to handle that...especially if the game was played at Traz. If I had to pick a team who could possibly beat this 2013 BTW, I would put my money on BG.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One team that hasn’t been mentioned, 2015 Katy. I have never seen a defense at the HS level that was as fundamentally sound as those Tigers. Not even the loaded private schools I’ve seen play (2016 Bishop Gorman). And 2016 LT had the best offense in TX HS FB history, and in their peak they were the best team in the state, for what it’s worth. 

• Like 1

I think BG and BTW were pretty special but my $ would be on MD. Having arguably the top WR, LB, and QB, in the country along with a bunch of other D1 talent. Dominant on both offense and defense. Having JT behind center was like having a coach on the field. I think he is going to go down and the best QB to ever come out of S. CA.   

• Like 2

Mater Dei. There was never a point in any game you thought they were going to lose. 

BG and BTW a close second to tough to call. STA should of prob beat BG on the Road and BTW played pretty poorly against a pedestrian BG team but had great win over Miami central. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

Mater Dei. There was never a point in any game you thought they were going to lose. 

BG and BTW a close second to tough to call. STA should of prob beat BG on the Road and BTW played pretty poorly against a pedestrian BG team but had great win over Miami central. 

Agreed

MD was never challenged by some very good teams while the other two obviously were 

SJB ‘13 and Allen ‘12-14 would be 2/3 or 3/2 for me and, although I hate what they represent, I’d probably put IMG ‘16-17 at least even with BG and BTw 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zulu1128 said:

No. 

Competitive? Yeah probably. At the end of the day though...0-3. 

I'm going to disagree in a way here, because as great as these teams were, I think there are teams each year that could beat them on a good day.   Colquitt could play and I think they'd do decent against anyone.   You could say the same with about 5 or so teams each year.    It just so happens that certain teams were not only great, but had great resumes/feats.   So they get the majority credit and the nod.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

One team that hasn’t been mentioned, 2015 Katy. I have never seen a defense at the HS level that was as fundamentally sound as those Tigers. Not even the loaded private schools I’ve seen play (2016 Bishop Gorman). And 2016 LT had the best offense in TX HS FB history, and in their peak they were the best team in the state, for what it’s worth. 

Good team but not in this discussion IMHO

DLS has a six year run this decade finishing in top 7 with one comp MNC and a couple of others and none of those teams belong in this discussion either

Best team this decade starts with the troika from 2013, and could include MD ‘17, BG ‘16, and IMG if youre so inclined

theres about 5 teams from ‘10, a couple from ‘11, none from ‘12 or ‘13, and a couple or three from ‘14-‘15 (Inc Katy and DLS) that are next level 

6 minutes ago, Pops said:

Good team but not in this discussion IMHO

DLS has a six year run this decade finishing in top 7 with one comp MNC and a couple of others and none of those teams belong in this discussion either

Best team this decade starts with the troika from 2013, and could include MD ‘17, BG ‘16, and IMG if youre so inclined

theres about 5 teams from ‘10, a couple from ‘11, none from ‘12 or ‘13, and a couple or three from ‘14-‘15 (Inc Katy and DLS) that are next level 

If fielding the best defense ever in the most storied state in the country doesn’t warrant a spot in this discussion, I don’t know what does. 

Katy does it with most of their own kids, too. They are not dependent on having a roster that can out-talent opponents if their Xs and Os fail. 

And what about 2013 Allen? That team was a monster when the state had an “up year” and gets no recognition? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

If fielding the best defense ever in the most storied state in the country doesn’t warrant a spot in this discussion, I don’t know what does. 

Katy does it with most of their own kids, too. They are not dependent on having a roster that can out-talent opponents if their Xs and Os fail. 

And what about 2013 Allen? That team was a monster when the state had an “up year” and gets no recognition? 

I gotta side with you on this. That Katy team was special. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

I gotta side with you on this. That Katy team was special. 

That defense was violent. I have never seen a defense that would physically destroy offenses the way they did. Decapitate receivers, wear out and tear up knees on the OL, and deliver hits what you could hear from the bathrooms in NRG Stadium. Few teams in Texas were able to handle the physicality of that Katy defense. I thought Steele and LT would be able to, but both had players get hurt. As much as I hate to look back to this memory, I remember seeing the LT OL with their hands on their hips gasping for air in the early part of the second quarter, I knew that was a sign of doom. And, I was right.  It’s as if an amateur challenger was cornered in the ring with the heavyweight champ, the amateur wanted out, but had no choice but to face the champ and ended up getting knocked into next week. 

We will probably never see a defense like that again (on the field and statistically-allowing only touchdowns all year at the 6A level is extreme). 

I’ve seen Bishop Gorman, STA, etc. but I have never seen a defense play at that level (at the HS level)-superb chemistry, communication, fundamentals, tackling, and discipline overall. Now, teams like IMG and Gorman may have more talent, but as I said above, the chemistry and level of play was outstanding.

13 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

That defense was violent. I have never seen a defense that would physically destroy offenses the way they did. Decapitate receivers, wear out and tear up knees on the OL, and deliver hits what you could hear from the bathrooms in NRG Stadium. Few teams in Texas were able to handle the physicality of that Katy defense. I thought Steele and LT would be able to, but both had players get hurt. As much as I hate to look back to this memory, I remember seeing the LT OL with their hands on their hips gasping for air in the early part of the second quarter, I knew that was a sign of doom. And, I was right.  It’s as if an amateur challenger was cornered in the ring with the heavyweight champ, the amateur wanted out, but had no choice but to face the champ and ended up getting knocked into next week. 

We will probably never see a defense like that again (on the field and statistically-allowing only touchdowns all year at the 6A level is extreme). 

I’ve seen Bishop Gorman, STA, etc. but I have never seen a defense play at that level (at the HS level)-superb chemistry, communication, fundamentals, tackling, and discipline overall. Now, teams like IMG and Gorman may have more talent, but as I said above, the chemistry and level of play was outstanding.

Awesome post. 

Even with your homoerotic man crush on the big dude, Mark Somebody. 

Haha