All time tournament

Columbiafan

Fontana was a smash mouth team led by Derrick Malone in the backfield and a top notch defense anchored by the Sylvester brothers. I actually have video of this team

Fontana was a spitting image of what Allen is now. A city with one H.S. and a diverse student body(Polynesians, Latinos,  African Americans,  and caucasians)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Fontana was a smash mouth team led by Derrick Malone in the backfield and a top notch defense anchored by the Sylvester brothers. I actually have video of this team

Fontana was a spitting image of what Allen is now. A city with one H.S. and a diverse student body(Polynesians, Latinos,  African Americans,  and caucasians)

Post some film on them. I've only heard of the great teams they had. Rancho Cordova in NorCal was right up there with them during those years.

• Like 1

I started getting interest in high school football in the mid 80’s when I was a youngster. I remember Fontana being a powerhouse back in those days. I also remember some other names such as Carson, Banning, and even San Diego Morse.

To some of the older Cali guys, where those other teams listed competitive? 

The 82 Servite team that featured Steve Beuerlein and played Moeller at Kings Island’s Hall of Fame stadium was written up as-up.to that time-one of the strongest C.A. teams ever.  You have to remember the buildup for this game:  Moeller’s coach had just left to go straight to Notre Dame, five national championships in 6 years, 105 victories in 107 games, the year before 3 (of 22) Parade All Americans from Moeller, 60 minute lead feature on them, home gowns played before 20,000+, national schedule.

Servite thought they could beat Moeller and flew 2000 miles to try.  I believe that Servite team for its time was the equal of last year’s Mater Dei.  Certainly it’s qb, Beuerlein, had a similar reputation.  And past years had shown Moeller rolling over top teams from Florida, Texas, Va, PA, Mi, MD, etc.

Servite finished the year #4 in USA Today despite the loss.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigDrop said:

I believe that Servite team for its time was the equal of last year’s Mater Dei.  Certainly it’s qb, Beuerlein, had a similar reputation.  And past years had shown

That Servite team squeaked by Alemany 19-17 in 1982. Down 10-0 at the half, they mounted a comeback just to win.

They also squeaked by Saint Paul(23-20), and beat Loyola on a bad snapped punt that they scored on(Fluky play to score on your own bad snapped punt)

That 1982 Servite team is nowhere near the 2017 Mater Dei team. 1982 Servite went life and death 3 times that season in Cali, Mater Dei didn't with better opposiition in its way

• Like 1

Best teams in SoCal history that I've watched. Not in any particular order

These teams to me are better than the honorable mentioned teams, because they could run and pass the ball with equal amount of success.

2017 Mater Dei

2013 SJB

2008 Centennial

1997 Long Beach Poly(They had a QB to get the ball to their elite WR's)

1996 Mater Dei

1994 Los Al

1994 Mater Dei

Honorable Mention 

1993 Ike

1992 Bishop Amat

1987 Fontana

1 hour ago, steeler01 said:

Best teams in SoCal history that I've watched. Not in any particular order

These teams to me are better than the honorable mentioned teams, because they could run and pass the ball with equal amount of success.

2017 Mater Dei

2013 SJB

2008 Centennial

1997 Long Beach Poly(They had a QB to get the ball to their elite WR's)

1996 Mater Dei

1994 Los Al

1994 Mater Dei

Honorable Mention 

1993 Ike

1992 Bishop Amat

1987 Fontana

You’re top 3 are my top 3

however, I’m not sure SJB ‘17 and MD ‘16 aren’t in the top 5 

the ceiling on high end socal teams was raised considerably in 2013

I believe one of the top teams in Nor Cal back in the 70's-80's was Salesian, a small private catholic out of Richmond. They had DLS and coach Lad's number back in the 80's. Not sure if they could've hanged with Fontana etc. But I do recall they had a great coach. 

2 hours ago, 1DayPGA said:

They had DLS and coach Lad's number back in the 80's. Not sure if they could've hanged with Fontana etc. But I do recall they had a great coach. 

Coach was Shag.  They would have gotten rolled by Fontana.  They had DLS's number the first couple of years under Lad, but starting around 1984, it was a different story.

9 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

I started getting interest in high school football in the mid 80’s when I was a youngster. I remember Fontana being a powerhouse back in those days. I also remember some other names such as Carson, Banning, and even San Diego Morse.

To some of the older Cali guys, where those other teams listed competitive? 

Banning and Carson use to be the shit.  Great knowledge Omaha!

5 hours ago, Pops said:

You’re top 3 are my top 3

however, I’m not sure SJB ‘17 and MD ‘16 aren’t in the top 5 

the ceiling on high end socal teams was raised considerably in 2013

That order wasn't who I believe would be 1st. Just the top teams from SoCal IMO

1 hour ago, AztecPadre said:

Banning and Carson use to be the shit.  Great knowledge Omaha!

I went to Cleveland high here in SFV late 70’s beginning of 80.We thought our Football team was the shit because we destroyed all the valley teams.Then came the city championship game against Banning and every year we found out what elite level football looked like as they kicked our ass lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ararar said:

I went to Cleveland high here in SFV late 70’s beginning of 80.We thought our Football team was the shit because we destroyed all the valley teams.Then came the city championship game against Banning and every year we found out what elite level football looked like as they kicked our ass lol

Haha. That's the same for me in my little world growing up in Carmel. We had great sports teams for our county, but come playoffs we had to play WCAL schools and the game would be over before the first quarter ended. Never been so hurt by halftime. Emotionally and physically. Lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Meanwhile, back to reality....

SEC rules and those players are from the southeast.

Happy to help.

C.A.

Haha. You mean those players are from all over the country in the SEC. If it was just ga players the SEC would be demoted to the NAIA. Hope this helps.

• Haha 1