What is happening to the NFL I once loved?

Bodysurf

1 minute ago, Columbiafan said:

It may be but I'm saying with way things are going they will screw up rules at college level as well

The biggest problem has been the heavy lawsuits because of poor management of concussions and other football injuries which has lead to people calling for blood 

Maybe youth football should be done away with and have people not play until middle or high school and then do better injury management at all levels

NFL has resources but these lower levels of play don't have that and most injuries pile up 

Middle school and high school is where so many injuries go unreported because of poor medical knowledge at those levels

If you cant handle the risk dont play the game. Problem is guys in a position like Goodell have to care about the players. We as fans dont have too. At least I dont. I'm there to see violence. I'm there to watch brutal hits. Nothing gets me more pumped up than when a guy gets rocked. It's so much fun to watch.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, On2whls said:

Does anyone even give a shit about cheerleaders in the NFL?  Some teams don’t even have em.  

This.

If you’re watching a game on TV you might see 30 seconds of cheerleaders.

Other than the obvious eye-candy aspect what’s the point of them, anyway?

1 hour ago, Texasball said:

Former NFL players are to blame as they lined up at lawyers offices over concussions.  

How dare the former players question their treatment when they played! If you got dinged in the head and weren't sure where you were, you were paid good money to get back in there and compete, right? Health concerns be damned! If a team says you are an asset of theirs and you need to get your ass on the field, then get your ass on the field. Don't bring up any long-term effects of head injuries, that's just for sissies...like Mike Webster or Junior Seau or Bubba Smith or any number of other deceased pussies (NFL, college, and/or high school) who have had confirmed cases of CTE.

Texasball likes how things used to be. Other goofballs like HSFBfan demand violence. All the while you sit in your lazyboys while you question the toughness of football players, acting like some queer Roman senator at the Coliseum watching gladiators pounding one another.

Luckily, as a species, we learn from our past and are able to make necessary changes. Whether some people like it or not.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Wosinc said:

This.

If you’re watching a game on TV you might see 30 seconds of cheerleaders.

Other than the obvious eye-candy aspect what’s the point of them, anyway?

Right on point. I know I pay them very little attention when I am at the games or watching on tv. The NFL is dead? Ugh, some folks don't understand how business works. The NFL makes money hand over first. The Raiders have a long ass waiting list to get season tix. Most popular game in this country by a ton!

1 hour ago, maxchoboian said:

How dare the former players question their treatment when they played! If you got dinged in the head and weren't sure where you were, you were paid good money to get back in there and compete, right? Health concerns be damned! If a team says you are an asset of theirs and you need to get your ass on the field, then get your ass on the field. Don't bring up any long-term effects of head injuries, that's just for sissies...like Mike Webster or Junior Seau or Bubba Smith or any number of other deceased pussies (NFL, college, and/or high school) who have had confirmed cases of CTE.

Texasball likes how things used to be. Other goofballs like HSFBfan demand violence. All the while you sit in your lazyboys while you question the toughness of football players, acting like some queer Roman senator at the Coliseum watching gladiators pounding one another.

Luckily, as a species, we learn from our past and are able to make necessary changes. Whether some people like it or not.

Your missing my point and attacking for no reason.  My point is simply that this is what is changing the game. 

Now keep in mind that more and more research is coming out.

you have not heard me calling players pussies.  

I have talked about concussions on here may have made some threads about it too.  part of the problem is that for many years neck training has been missing in strength program.  You can actually strengthen neck, head, and jaw to help fight off concussions.  

There is also a new mouth guard on the market that has been given medical device patent (Powerplus mouth guard) it fits on the bottom teeth.  All the other mouth guards only made to keep you from chipping teeth.  This has medical research behind it that proves it helps.  I recommend that all sports go to this company and purchase this $30.00 mouth guard - puts your jaw in correct position and sends forces out the jaw instead up into the head.  Schools that I know who are using have not suffered concussions.

I don’t agree with hawk style tackling and believe it will lead to the same injuries and many more.

There is group called gridiron heroes for spinal cord injuries.  They run all over the country helping families who’s child has suffered spinal cord injuries playing football.  They already had uptick of calls coming from the Washington state area where the Seahawks made this style popular.  Guess what they are seeing that some of the injuries are happening because of hawk style tackling both on the tackler and the ball carrier.

3 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

3 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

Slow down there buddy. Let me ask you something have you thought about junior seau since he died? Most people I would say the answer is simply no. I am not questioning their toughness. I am questioning the direction of the game in which it is becoming absolutely unwatchable. I look forward to hockey and football season every year. Both sports ate becoming the same unwatchable product. I as a fan dont really care about your health. I am a paying customer who is there for my entertainment. They wanna equate themselves to gladiators well gladiators died before spectators. Now I am not saying for them to die but yes I certainly want the hard hitting football back that I love and I'm sure millions of other fans do as well. 

Another qustion... u do belong to the team right? The team owns you when you sign your contract right? They are making millions right? If that was me I would be willing to die on the field for that opportunity 

• Confused 1

On 8/7/2018 at 9:19 AM, Bodysurf said:

Not only are we witnessing the pussification of our beloved game by essentially outlawing tackling............ we now have MALE cheerleaders in the NFL!

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/08/06/us/nfl-male-dancers-trnd/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

Wasn’t a former POTUS a college cheerleader?

BGW

6 hours ago, Texasball said:

Your missing my point and attacking for no reason.  My point is simply that this is what is changing the game. 

So you agree with the players questioning how head trauma has been handled over the years. My fault. I read it as though you weren't too happy that they " lined up at lawyers offices over concussions."

5 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Wasn’t a former POTUS a college cheerleader?

BGW

Actually,  4 of them were!  Most know "W" was a cheerleader but Franklin Roosevelt cheered for Harvard football, Dwight Eisenhower cheered for Army after he was injured and couldn't play anymore. Ronald Reagan didn't cheer for football, but he did cheer briefly for the Eureka College basketball team in Illinois. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cheerleaders (just like your halftime band) are what is supposed to keep the crowd entertained and such while they are attending a game while actual football is NOT being played on the field..Like say during those ever increasing 'TV time outs....

Non-relevant to any football fan who actually goes to watch the game usually.

Bigger problem is the fact that they can't play the century old game without  monkey wrenching the rules with stupid changes that bastardize the sport and alienate their base, and the ever increasing politicization of the league.  

Losing lifelong fans at an alarming rate and not gaining much from the younger generation is unsustainable, no matter the size of the mountain.

If you think 'money', size, or tradition will save it then you would be sorely mistaken.  Popularity is the driving force that manifests this money,  and when that goes so does the NFL like all the other 'most popular' sports before it....to be relegated to an 'also ran' like boxing

As someone else noted they will not be the first to fold, as they have money to bleed for quite some time when this all boils over...This will occur in the youth and HS levels first.....and already has begun...

Examples from just the last couple weeks....

https://loudounnow.com/2018/08/09/park-view-high-school-cancels-varsity-football-season/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/recruiting-insider/wp/2018/08/15/manassas-park-cancels-varsity-football-season-citing-lack-of-interest/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f7adf030258a

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/07/31/second-indiana-high-school-football-program-cancels-season/871380002/

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/07/17/wood-memorial-cancels-upcoming-high-school-football-season/792671002/

https://www.wbtw.com/news/state-regional/nc-high-school-cancels-varsity-football-season-due-to-low-turnout-/1368210950

Anyone got a count of all the High Schools dropping football this year???

What sucks the most, is that it is the NFL and those very same $'s that are destroying the game... in the chase for those $'s.....

NFL is unwatchable today as an entertainment product for any 'real' football fan....

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2018 at 9:19 AM, Bodysurf said:

Not only are we witnessing the pussification of our beloved game by essentially outlawing tackling............ we now have MALE cheerleaders in the NFL!

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/08/06/us/nfl-male-dancers-trnd/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

It was just a matter of time. All levels of football have male cheerleaders now. Cocoa has a male cheerleader and the women think it's great. The cheerleaders are actually very athletic.

Imagine being a male cheerleader among all those nice looking women.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Troll said:

Cheerleaders (just like your halftime band) are what is supposed to keep the crowd entertained and such while they are attending a game while actual football is NOT being played on the field..Like say during those ever increasing 'TV time outs....

Non-relevant to any football fan who actually goes to watch the game usually.

Bigger problem is the fact that they can't play the century old game without  monkey wrenching the rules with stupid changes that bastardize the sport and alienate their base, and the ever increasing politicization of the league.  

Losing lifelong fans at an alarming rate and not gaining much from the younger generation is unsustainable, no matter the size of the mountain.

If you think 'money', size, or tradition will save it then you would be sorely mistaken.  Popularity is the driving force that manifests this money,  and when that goes so does the NFL like all the other 'most popular' sports before it....to be relegated to an 'also ran' like boxing

As someone else noted they will not be the first to fold, as they have money to bleed for quite some time when this all boils over...This will occur in the youth and HS levels first.....and already has begun...

Examples from just the last couple weeks....

https://loudounnow.com/2018/08/09/park-view-high-school-cancels-varsity-football-season/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/recruiting-insider/wp/2018/08/15/manassas-park-cancels-varsity-football-season-citing-lack-of-interest/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f7adf030258a

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/07/31/second-indiana-high-school-football-program-cancels-season/871380002/

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/07/17/wood-memorial-cancels-upcoming-high-school-football-season/792671002/

https://www.wbtw.com/news/state-regional/nc-high-school-cancels-varsity-football-season-due-to-low-turnout-/1368210950

Anyone got a count of all the High Schools dropping football this year???

What sucks the most, is that it is the NFL and those very same $'s that are destroying the game... in the chase for those $'s.....

NFL is unwatchable today as an entertainment product for any 'real' football fan....

Put Oxbridge Academy On the list of schools that dropped their football schedule. They were beginning to become a top 25 team in Florida too.

I'm not a fan of concussions but it is part of the game.  The danger is continuing to play with a concussion. Players need to understand it's not a game after getting a concussion, tell your coach immediately. As an ex kickboxer you can imagine how many shots to the head you get. The worse head trauma I've ever suffered was going back into a fight dazed. How much of Muhammad Ali's mental problems are from so many shots to his head? My point is that we choose to participate in violent sports, or not. We choose to watch violent sports, or not. We choose to accept the changes in violent sports, or not. I agree with HSFB in that I love watching a player get decleated. Hell, most of us have decleated someone. Had broken bones or hit someone so hard you had to pick them up after. It comes down to choices, you're in or you're not.  I guess I'm old school because I loved to play as hard as I could go. I didn't play for popsicles, I play for the love of sport  in all my athletic endeavors. I wanted to win more than anything. I still do. 

We can choose for ourselves, but not for everyone else.

1 hour ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Put Oxbridge Academy On the list of schools that dropped their football schedule. They were beginning to become a top 25 team in Florida too.

I'm not a fan of concussions but it is part of the game.  The danger is continuing to play with a concussion. Players need to understand it's not a game after getting a concussion, tell your coach immediately. As an ex kickboxer you can imagine how many shots to the head you get. The worse head trauma I've ever suffered was going back into a fight dazed. How much of Muhammad Ali's mental problems are from so many shots to his head? My point is that we choose to participate in violent sports, or not. We choose to watch violent sports, or not. We choose to accept the changes in violent sports, or not. I agree with HSFB in that I love watching a player get decleated. Hell, most of us have decleated someone. Had broken bones or hit someone so hard you had to pick them up after. It comes down to choices, you're in or you're not.  I guess I'm old school because I loved to play as hard as I could go. I didn't play for popsicles, I play for the love of sport  in all my athletic endeavors. I wanted to win more than anything. I still do. 

We can choose for ourselves, but not for everyone else.

Very well put Cat and I agree.  Every sport has injuries and while I'm not totally against implementing safety measures or updating 'some' rules, unless you want a 'flag football' future, American football has the appeal/detriment of being a contact sport. 

At some point the world must accept that humans enjoy these activities.  Like outlawing tag on a children's playground, some new rules just do not work out so well.

Sidenote: in a local HS the other day, I was admiring some of those honorary plaques you see hung on the walls of former student/atheletes….these were the ones of those that competed on this high school's Boxing team (from not as long ago as you might think).   FB is on the same path, as plaques on a wall may be the only things left if the current trajectory is not changed....

• Like 1