D1 pairings come out at noon today!

NotBigdaddybloom

2 hours ago, old_e said:

Something  something Valley. 

Why don't DLS and Folsom play again in the CIF Northern Section finals, with the winner of that game playing the winner of the CIF Southern Section finals?

If MD and SJB play in the playoffs for a chance to represent the Southern Section (presumably it will be these two), why isn't there a similar bracket with (presumably) DLS and Folsom playing in the playoffs to see who represents the North?

6 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

Why don't DLS and Folsom play again in the CIF Northern Section finals, with the winner of that game playing the winner of the CIF Southern Section finals?

If MD and SJB play in the playoffs for a chance to represent the Southern Section (presumably it will be these two), why isn't there a similar bracket with (presumably) DLS and Folsom playing in the playoffs to see who represents the North?

*see Folsom rule 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, maxchoboian said:

Never understood that myself.   They should have rematched last year IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxchoboian said:

Has Folsom specifically said they do not want to play DLS for the right to represent the North? They are fine with being the "D2" representative without even challenging DLS on the field?

The Folsom coach was on record complaining that Nor Cal wasn’t sending it’s best teams to play So Cal after Folsom lost to DLS in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

Has Folsom specifically said they do not want to play DLS for the right to represent the North? They are fine with being the "D2" representative without even challenging DLS on the field?

Yes they did... They said it was "Unfair" that they had to play DLS to go to a SBG... Here is a copy of the Article which is why this is called "The Folsom Rule"... I think the Funniest Part of this is where the Folsom guy who is Threatening a Lawsuit against the CIF is complaining about "Private Schools Being Able to Bring in Talent From Everywhere"...

At the Time, Folsom's Best Player was a Senior Transfer from GA (Jonah Williams), and Folsom in the future would win Back to Back D1AA Titles on the Backs of "Northern Nevada's Best Players".... :) 

Parents, fans argue football playoff system is unfair

Tuesday Dec 24 2013

By: Matt Long, Sports Editor

Folsom’s second blowout loss in as many years to De La Salle in the Northern California open championship football game have some parents and fans grumbling about the playoff system.

One, in fact, called Sac-Joaquin Section commissioner Pete Saco and left him what he described as the worst voice mail he’s received in 21 years. While Saco provided the big push to start the state football playoffs in 2006, laying the blame at his feet is unfair. Saco, who’s been commissioner of the section for 21 years, recognizes the position of Folsom fans.

“I’ve been doing this long enough where I get all the positions,” Saco said. “I get where Folsom is coming from. I’m about doing what’s right. I want to defend and support the schools in the section.”

Jennifer Cartier, whose son Nick Bolling is a senior offensive lineman on Folsom’s team, wrote a letter to The Folsom Telegraph, and also to other media outlets and the California Interscholastic Federation, the ruling body of all high school sports in the state. She points out the unfairness of public schools facing private schools. De La Salle, as Cartier states, “is a private school which can attract talent from all over the state, and in some instances, the country, to play for their team.”

Another Folsom resident, who wished to remain anonymous, also wrote a letter to the Telegraph saying a lawsuit should be filed against the CIF utilizing state sports title data to prove private and public schools should never play each other in the CIF state playoff structure. The resident, who has no ties to the Folsom football program or the high school, said there should be a title path in which private schools play for a state title and a separate path for public schools to battle for the state title.

“A lawsuit would change the system and bring fairness back to public school kids who have been cheated out of a large amount of state titles by being forced to play private schools, which have more money … and the ability to bring in players from anywhere,” he wrote.

Folsom High football coaches Kris Richardson and Troy Taylor acknowledged that while they don’t mind playing De La Salle, they agree that the current playoff system is unfair because the second-best team in Northern California (the loser of the open regional game) is not being rewarded for being the second-best team, while the third-best team, the Division I winner, is being rewarded.

Richardson said after the loss to De La Salle that when the current playoff system was designed, the North would be sending their best teams down South to play for a state title.

“I don’t think they’re doing that right now when they’re sending the loser of the open game home,” Richardson said.

Saco, who said that Folsom High Principal Kathryn Allaman and Richardson and Taylor have been first-class folks to deal with, said there are a couple options to look at in terms of changing the playoff format.

One scenario has the best team in the open division having a bye in the regional playoffs and automatically play in the state title game. If that were in place this year, De La Salle would have had the bye and in all likelihood, Folsom would have played Serra for the Division I title and Del Oro would have been out of the loop.

The scenario that Saco is supporting would be to have every team that wins a section title moving on to play a regional playoff game, meaning instead of having five regional Northern California title games, there would be 12. Again, one team from the North and one from the South would be selected to play in the open championship game and would have a bye in the regional round. This new playoff system would increase the number of state champions in California from five to 12. If that sounds like a lot, that’s as many state champions that Texas crowns each year as well.

“I firmly believe it’s the wave of the future,” Saco said. “I think it can be done and it could happen next year if enough people get behind it. Problems are solvable; we’ve just got to get moving on it to get it better.”

While the plan doesn’t separate publics and privates, it would keep a perennial powerhouse private school, if chosen by the section commissioners as the best in the North or South, from eliminating a public school from the chance of winning a state title.

•  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

they agree that the current playoff system is unfair because the second-best team in Northern California (the loser of the open regional game) is not being rewarded for being the second-best team, while the third-best team, the Division I winner, is being rewarded.

L O L

It's just soooo unfair that the North had to send their 3rd best team to face the South's 10th best team. 🙄

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Mission Viejo is scared of Servite.  Always have been.  MV is soft.

Two years ago Servite was waaay down and still almost knocked off MV in Round 1.  This year its a WHOLE different story.

LMAO @ scared when St. MV has beaten every Trinity League team it played sans the University of Mater Dei the past few years. 

• Haha 1

Just now, bigrobstercraws said:

LMAO @ scared when St. MV has beaten every Trinity League team it played sans the University of Mater Dei the past few years. 

I saw MV self destruct in 2009 and 2010 when they had the much better team.  Eyes like saucers.

Servite has three things that MV has not faced this year.

1. Off and Def lines as big and strong as MV is.

2.  A prolific passing attack

3. CIF Champion coaching staff.

4 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

They specifically said it wasn’t fair that the 2nd best NorCal team didn’t get to play in a SBG and had their section Commissioner make sure there was a rule change 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigrobstercraws said:

LMAO @ the D4 pairings where there is a rematch of the D3 Finals 1989 and 1990 D2 Semis between Paramount and my 1-9 El Toro Chargers.

BAHAHAHAHA

This is a clear indicator the playoff format needs some changes despite my Chargers being in the playoffs after a 1-9 season that saw then get blown out every game they lost

It is also a clear indication  that there are too many divisions.  Can't fill the brackets with at least 5-5 teams

• Like 1

Just now, Sammyswordsman said:

I saw MV self destruct in 2009 and 2010 when they had the much better team.  Eyes like saucers.

Servite has three things that MV has not faced this year.

1. Off and Def lines as big and strong as MV is.

2.  A prolific passing attack

3. CIF Champion coaching staff.

They were a bunch of missed kicks away from winning one of those games when Sponge Bob booted the kicker off the team the week of the game.

Eyes like saucers? Not quite. Now, if you said they quit vs. the U of MD two years in a row when it got out of hand, that would be a true statement. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, dntn31 said:

Hell no, though he probably means SJB/MD.

Doubt it.  He was taking a swipe at Folsom.  If he meant those two teams, he could have replaced the Bulldogs with "Duncanville" and he'd still be accurate.

I'll just take it that he forgot Folsom and DLS played this year... and last... in one of the most anticipated games in California... that had just about everyone's attention on this board.  Yeah, I guess he just forgot. 

14 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

Has Folsom specifically said they do not want to play DLS for the right to represent the North?

Never. And if you asks the SoCal trolls, all they can come up with is a "parent" quoted in a small town newspaper (20 miles from Folsom), that said she didn't want to play DLS. And it was a "she."

Solid evidence, but par the course for the illiterate SoCal posters. :)