Calpreps Corona Del Mar

954gator

14 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Cpreps has them rated higher than DLS and Cen10.   What say you?   Is it not October yet?

They're a good team.  Their playoff division (SS D-III) was better than that of DLS (NCS D-I), plus they had two more playoff games than the Spartans.  Those are worth more rating points than regular season games.  

They did share one opponent, Mountain View St. Francis.  DLS won more comfortably, although both games were blowouts (48-0 vs 42-14).

Head-to-head, I don't think anyone would take CdM over DLS.  The Sea Kings may not even escape San Mateo Serra this weekend without their star WR.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, badrouter said:

In any game vs. an opponent with below average to average team speed, CDM will look outstanding. Fortunately for CDM, they almost never play any especially fast teams. So, they almost always look great!

That may be why they struggled against Oceanside.  Serra is just as fast as the Pirates and are better all-around.  It will be a good test for both teams.

1 hour ago, Bestcoast said:

They’ll take any oos opponent in the nation on in beach volleyball.

actually they’re a pretty darn good football teams for a bunch of surfers

I've seen them and they are a solid team, but no way are they #15 or whatever in the nation.    They got a good passing game and that one WR is pretty solid, but cmon man.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Let's face it, against a really athletic team, they're going to get blasted. This year's Lakeland team, which is sitting home now, would hammer them. Every skill player is faster than anyone on their defense, and everyone in Lakeland's back seven on D is faster than all of their skill guys. CDM is an "algorithm" darling. But, I'm still sure they have the hottest moms of any team ever talked about here. And Newport Beach down through Laguna and Dana/San Clemente are nicer than any other place mentioned here. That's why I moved to SoCal 17 years ago.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, old_e said:

No way CDM is better than quite a few D1 schools. 

Yep, they are a very good scheme team who will do great against lower division teams, but will struggle with an athletic / physical  upper tier team. Serra actually is a pretty decent team and I could see them giving CDM some trouble, but with their QB situation I think they are in trouble in this one.

15 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Yep, they are a very good scheme team who will do great against lower division teams, but will struggle with an athletic / physical  upper tier team. Serra actually is a pretty decent team and I could see them giving CDM some trouble, but with their QB situation I think they are in trouble in this one.

That WR is pretty sick in their system i’ll say that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

I believe Ethan Garbers, passed for over 4,000 yards this season, that's quite impressive, close to the amount of passing yards JT Daniels did in 2016, and more than Matt Barkley did in 2007, nice to hear of a QB doing this at a public school instead of a private school.

This sounds like a Block post.

• Like 1

A couple of observations after watching CDM yesterday. It think Cal 14, DNTN31 and Steeler would probably agree ( as we all spent quite a bit of time assesing both CDM and Serra during the game ).

CDM is a very good team but not elite. I liken them as Mater Dei Jr.

Their offense is extremely precise and quite entertaining to watch. What they lack is size on the lines of which they make up with athletisism and good lateral movement. They do a remarkable job of giving their QB time to make his reads and get the ball to where it needs to be depite being undersized. For the most part Serra could not pressure him... and Serra's line was huge.

Their biggest weakness ( at least in this game ) was their inabilty to adjust to Serra's offensive schemes which was evident through out the game. Their DC did not for the most part call in the correct adjustments. Had he done that, the game would have gravitated to a more onesided affair.

That said:

CDM would probably fair well against a lot of well respected programs but for the ratings services to rank them so high is IMO is a disservice to many other programs. I would venture that the "real top five" programs in most of the states that, in all of our opinions play noteworthy fooball... Fl, GA, TX, OH, NJ, MD, IL, IN etc would handle them.

Do they belong in the top 100?... Maybe... but in reality, they may be a couple of years away from the real big boy football. They are building a nice foundation to attract better athletes. They have the DLS discipline with the MD execution and if they keep that going with more formidable linemen, they will be a force in the future.

• Like 1