Geico Participants

FootballGuy

8 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

What team have they played that's within 21 points of SFA

It's the same with Westlake (or the University of Georgia).

People fawning over them for being "dominant" but without citing the context regarding their schedule.

Yeah, really dominant, playing a schedule that a lot of the top teams would have been dominant against.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

I'm guessing you haven't seen Collins Hill. 

What team have they played that's within 21 points of SFA

Anyone completely dominant in Georgia largest class is really good. Even if SFA blew them out, it would be interesting to watch given how dominant CH has been.

That said, I do think it's important to have state champions playing in national bowl games. SFA isn't a state champion for a reason...

7 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

This is a common misconception that is perpetuated around here.

Both the dominant part and the (insert class) in (insert state) part.

I get it. But, there are plenty of examples of dominant teams (against a mediocre schedule) with a lot of talent that proved to be worthy of a top ranking so as to offset the cases where such teams fell flat against elite competition. 

For the purposes of this discussion, we'd have to compare Collins Hill to the other candidates for the game. They look very much like the best available team to face SFA. So, to be clear, my sense is the two best teams in the Geico discussion are SFA and CH. 

25 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Anyone completely dominant in Georgia largest class is really good. Even if SFA blew them out, it would be interesting to watch given how dominant CH has been.

That said, I do think it's important to have state champions playing in national bowl games. SFA isn't a state champion for a reason...

Really good and being on the level of this SFA team are two different things

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, steeler01 said:

Really good and being on the level of this SFA team are two different things

In other words, it's one thing to dominate the schedule you play and it's another thing to be able to deal with a defensive front 7 that SFA has.

Yes, they did win every game by two touchdowns but I don't think beating Greenville Christian, 37-22, is dominating. Or beating Mountain View, 28-0, is dominating. Or beating Milton, 24-8, is dominating.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Atticus Finch said:

In other words, it's one thing to dominate the schedule you play and it's another thing to be able to deal with a defensive front 7 that SFA has.

Yes, they did win every game by two touchdowns but I don't think beating Greenville Christian, 37-22, is dominating. Or beating Mountain View, 28-0, is dominating. Or beating Milton, 24-8, is dominating.

You had to watch those games to know. Collins Hill simply didn't get a chance for possession against Milton. Milton ran the ball on every play and gained like 3 yards each time with an empty play clock. Collins Hill would have dropped 40 on Milton easily had Milton not been ballhogs. I've seen these teams play, and Collins Hill is pretty impressive. That being said, I don't think they survive SFA or STA. They may play a good one with Saguaro though.

I watched every single Collins Hill game this season. I watched SFA play both STA and IMG this season. I’ve also seen SFA play games over the last several years. They are as close to Mater Dei type as you get anywhere else in the country. They beat the brakes off IMG in their last two meetings. They are night and day more talented than CHHS and anyone suggesting that would be a good game hasn’t seen both teams. It’s like saying Mater Dei-CHHS would be a good matchup. Unfortunately, it just wouldn’t be. SFA is better than 99% of the country and 100% of public schools  

That said Collins Hill can hang with every other team mentioned and if they have the trio of Hunter/Horn/Davis in attendance I like their odds over the rest of the field 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ngdawg said:

You had to watch those games to know. Collins Hill simply didn't get a chance for possession against Milton. Milton ran the ball on every play and gained like 3 yards each time with an empty play clock. Collins Hill would have dropped 40 on Milton easily had Milton not been ballhogs.

Well that's a legitimate style of play and the fact that Collins Hill couldn't stop them and get the ball back is proof for my argument. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ATLien12x said:

I watched every single Collins Hill game this season. I watched SFA play both STA and IMG this season. I’ve also seen SFA play games over the last several years. They are as close to Mater Dei type as you get anywhere else in the country. They beat the breaks off IMG in their last two meetings. They are night and day more talented than CHHS and anyone suggesting that would be a good game hasn’t seen both teams. It’s like saying Mater Dei-CHHS would be a good matchup. Unfortunately, it just wouldn’t be. SFA is better than 99% of the country and 100% of public schools  

That said Collins Hill can hang with every other team mentioned and if they have the trio of Hunter/Horn/Davis in attendance I like their odds over the rest of the field 

Cen10 is the one public that would put up a damn good fight against SFA, though.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

There  should be a couple Geico games. The first one should pit the recruited up fake super teams. The second one would be a matchup of the best big State champions. I’m not necessarily saying it would be public schools only, but it would likely end up being the Texas champ vs the Georgia, Florida, or Ohio champ.

MD, SFA, Img, Bosco, STA, etc. etc. would be in the other game so the likelihood is that the second game would be a large school public state champion or a private school that does not aggressively recruit, accept senior transfers etc.

2 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

Well that's a legitimate style of play and the fact that Collins Hill couldn't stop them and get the ball back is proof for my argument. 

Oh but they did. Sacked the opposing QB 7 times and got 4 4th down stops. Gotta give credit to Milton, they even beat SJP this year. It's not like they're a bad team.