How embarrassing is it NO ONE on this FORUM had ever heard of Graham-Kapowsin?

RedZone

1 minute ago, GoBigBlack said:

Because they don't play out of state and their schedule strength rating after the CH game is under 23. 

That doesn't cut it. Might make you feel better though.

The last 5 years Graham-Kapowsin has dominated Washington per the Calpreps Dynasty Ratings. Wins and losses are obviously more important than Calpreps SOS, that was proven last night........Graham-Kapowsin said "fuck the Calpreps SOS"

Rank School State League Division W-L League W-L State W-L Division W-L Top 1000 W-L Top 7000 W-L Rating Schedule Strength Opponents' W-L
1 Graham-Kapowsin (Graham, WA) Washington 4A South Puget Sound 4A 51-5 35-2 48-5 46-5 8-4 41-5 45.8 20.1 329-252

2 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

It's ironic that RedZone wants the Geico Bowls to go away but the only reason he's seen Graham-Kapowsin is the Geico Bowl.

I'm not a fan of the Geico........you guys are.

BUT, if the Geico means something then it means something!

Does it mean anything, Atticus?

7 hours ago, RedZone said:

That doesn't cut it. Might make you feel better though.

The last 5 years Graham-Kapowsin has dominated Washington per the Calpreps Dynasty Ratings. Wins and losses are obviously more important than Calpreps SOS, that was proven last night........Graham-Kapowsin said "fuck the Calpreps SOS"

Rank School State League Division W-L League W-L State W-L Division W-L Top 1000 W-L Top 7000 W-L Rating Schedule Strength Opponents' W-L
1 Graham-Kapowsin (Graham, WA) Washington 4A South Puget Sound 4A 51-5 35-2 48-5 46-5 8-4 41-5 45.8 20.1 329-252

They may have said "f*** the Calpreps SOS," but nobody else on the planet with a brain would say that. Wins and losses are obviously more important because they are more important, and the creator of Calpreps says so. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

It's ironic that RedZone wants the Geico Bowls to go away but the only reason he's seen Graham-Kapowsin is the Geico Bowl.

The result should give new life to the Geico Bowl, and serves as justification for taking only state champions. From now on, a no-name team with a dominant state title run can't be ignored. Even if they're from some "non-power" state. 

*My hunch is that states without an urban center may still lag far behind. Either the urban center produces a powerhouse, or a team from outside of an urban center has to go through those teams. But, I don't really know. Hopefully some other states approve their schools to play in the event.

• Like 1

In the old days, before national rankings, player ratings and routine, interstate games, you paid attention to who the head coach was of your adversary.  Take a great coach who has built a dynasty at a school and who has access to a reasonable level of talent in his area, and if you were going to his back yard to play him, you better not underestimate.  In a way, I guess it was easier than today.  I didn't have to worry about kids getting overconfident due to what they see on the computer.   

O'Dea in Seattle is a school that many have likely not heard of.  Their coach is a Washington coaching legend who has spent 35 years building a program there and who has well over 300 career wins.  I don't care where his team is ranked in the national polls, if I was hauling a bunch of teenagers across the country to play someone like that in his back yard, I am going to prepare my team like I am playing Mater Dei.       

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, OldCoach said:

In the old days, before national rankings, player ratings and routine, interstate games, you paid attention to who the head coach was of your adversary.  Take a great coach who has built a dynasty at a school and who has access to a reasonable level of talent in his area, and if you were going to his back yard to play him, you better not underestimate.  In a way, I guess it was easier than today.  I didn't have to worry about kids getting overconfident due to what they see on the computer.   

O'Dea in Seattle is a school that many have likely not heard of.  Their coach is a Washington coaching legend who has spent 35 years building a program there and who has well over 300 career wins.  I don't care where his team is ranked in the national polls, if I was hauling a bunch of teenagers across the country to play someone like that in his back yard, I am going to prepare my team like I am playing Mater Dei.       

I've heard of O'Dea... 

Don't know much about em... 

But I've heard of em... think they've sprung the upset on Eastside Catholic a few times. 

And they have a Good Basketball program

Cool.. something new to look up.. O'dea Fighting Irish.. Beautiful building, The school reminds me of Salesianum in Wilmington

May be an image of outdoors

Gorgeous Chapel

No photo description available.

Interesting in that it is in the city and doesn't have any grounds and play off campus, like Salesianum

image.png.4c6e60fd7d1bcb40fd78e6d731e5ff20.png

They play here, shared with some other city schools. Covered stands.. well it is Seattle 🌧️

image.png.0ab0035fc2fd23cfae100c87b12dada6.png

O’Dea Football: With Tradition Comes Responsibility

The O’Dea High School Football Program is grounded in rich tradition. Monte Kohler has been the Head Coach for the Fighting Irish since 1985. Throughout his tenure Coach Kohler has led his teams to 4 State Championships, 10 State Championship games, 24 Metro Championships, and 29 State Tournament appearances. At O’Dea High School we believe it is essential that our young men learn the value of dedication and the sacrifice it takes to become part of a team. Our loyal and experienced Irish Coaching Staff consistently work to develop young men of character and purpose. This unwavering commitment to our student-athletes has paved the way for continuous success and high achievement. Go Irish!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

On 12/19/2021 at 9:58 AM, Atticus Finch said:

Here's RedZone saying that the Geico Bowls will eventually fade out......3 years ago.

👇

On 12/5/2018 at 10:41 PM, RedZone said:

This event will eventually  fade out........really a struggle to find many teams and states who really care.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, OldCoach said:

O'Dea has been plenty relevant in the not so distant (relative, I suppose) past . Home of Taylor Mays, correct?

10 minutes ago, OldCoach said:

Yes, Taylor Mays.  Operative word is "relevant" and how to define.  Washington state, sure.  Nationwide, one could debate.    

Relevant is also subjective, definitely. Relevant in the discussion of top teams in the country? No. Relevant as in they are among the top 1% or 2% of teams? That's been the case many times.

• Like 1