Cutting the Cord

PrepGridiron

I know this seems like this should go in the OT forum, but alas, the reason I keep my cable/DirectTV is because of the ability to watch HSFB. ESPN games, Fox Sports West Games, Local Comcast broadcasts, Fox Sports games during the postseason especially Thanksgiving and the occasional regular season small class Louisiana games, TX highlight show, etc. Can NFHS, YouTube, paid service subscription (ESPN) and FloFootball sustain you? Has anyone else cut the cord and still able to watch all the HS football they want?

• Like 1

I hadd cut the cord once. Went totally Netflix, NFHS and whatever free streams guys like Caj were sharing on the boards. 

Made it for a year and then eventually got Dish back. Said to myself, America's Top 200 is all I'm getting... Then the guys on here are on about GOT, and I got a free HBO weekend which allowed me OnDemand for GOT. Got hooked and upped to having the HBO premium upgrade too.

Oh Woe Is Me!

• Haha 3

The way they get you is to charge crazy amounts for internet. There is a monopoly on home internet service in Tampa with Spectrum and Frontier. Those are the cable/internet/phone providers. 

I wanted to cut TV until football season but internet was so high it was literally only a few dollars more to bundle it all together. That's how they get you. Because in this day, they know you need internet 

1 hour ago, NorCalRuss said:

Get a fire stick. You can then ad Kodi to it and then add builds to kodi that show pretty much anything ever on tv. You can also add tons of regional feeds as well. Just need Internet. 

Kodi is good when its good, but the feds are slowly but surely shutting it down and lately the HD content is scarce.. That along with ISP's throttling bandwidth.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rockinl said:

Kodi is good when its good, but the feds are slowly but surely shutting it down and lately the HD content is scarce.. That along with ISP's throttling bandwidth.

Just need to change the build with good server. I'm using durex right now since Ares is acting up. All anyone has to do is search durex wizard build to do it. Use one that doesn't use Ares wizard to install. The new sticks and fire tv box are faster also. I have no issues with buffering. 

As far as HD content, I haven't noticed any drop off. Fewer movies are released during summer. As soon as movies hit the pay options on tv via apps, direct tv, etc they will be available in HD on stick somewhere that day. 

14 hours ago, NorCalRuss said:

Get a fire stick. You can then ad Kodi to it and then add builds to kodi that show pretty much anything ever on tv. You can also add tons of regional feeds as well. Just need Internet. 

Are you able to watch the SBG games played at Sac State in December?

11 hours ago, NorCalRuss said:

Just need to change the build with good server. I'm using durex right now since Ares is acting up. All anyone has to do is search durex wizard build to do it. Use one that doesn't use Ares wizard to install. The new sticks and fire tv box are faster also. I have no issues with buffering. 

As far as HD content, I haven't noticed any drop off. Fewer movies are released during summer. As soon as movies hit the pay options on tv via apps, direct tv, etc they will be available in HD on stick somewhere that day. 

I didnt use Ares installer and have the latest Kodi build. I dont know what my issue is, but the providers are down to the same 6 or so, over and over and the HD content and buffering has gotten terrible. Not the ISP as I regularly do a speed test. 

Thinking about deleting and start over.

Europe (Especially Britain) is getting shut down rapidly.

28 minutes ago, rockinl said:

I didnt use Ares installer and have the latest Kodi build. I dont know what my issue is, but the providers are down to the same 6 or so, over and over and the HD content and buffering has gotten terrible. Not the ISP as I regularly do a speed test. 

Well that's because we dislike the Britt's.

18 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

The way they get you is to charge crazy amounts for internet. There is a monopoly on home internet service in Tampa with Spectrum and Frontier. Those are the cable/internet/phone providers. 

I wanted to cut TV until football season but internet was so high it was literally only a few dollars more to bundle it all together. That's how they get you. Because in this day, they know you need internet 

I agree

1 hour ago, rockinl said:

Sites always get shut down and new ones open. Always been that way. There's federal cases going on right now all over the place. Lot of sites shutdown but there are many fighting it in court.  Your Kodi should be 17.3 krypton. Some users still use Kodi 16 Jarvis which is old so the newer stream sites aren't compatible because they set up for Kodi 17.3. I dunno if you know, many don't, once you have Kodi, you add a build to it which will draw from all available sources. Don't just use the Kodi app. Message me if ya need help. Are you clearing cache after every few movies? That can cause the slowness. The durex build will auto clean everything at start ups . 

I haven't had cable or a TV for a long, long time, but I've got family coming in September to stay with me for about six weeks. And I'm thinking about buying a TV and getting cable or one these alternative you guys are talking about.

But the whole thing is overwhelming. I stopped by the TV section of Target the other day, and I didn't know where to begin. I didn't recognize any of the terms or features or anything like that.

Any suggestions about where to get a TV or what to look for or what to avoid etc.?

7 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

I haven't had cable or a TV for a long, long time, but I've got family coming in September to stay with me for about six weeks. And I'm thinking about buying a TV and getting cable or one these alternative you guys are talking about.

But the whole thing is overwhelming. I stopped by the TV section of Target the other day, and I didn't know where to begin. I didn't recognize any of the terms or features or anything like that.

Any suggestions about where to get a TV or what to look for or what to avoid etc.?

Go to your library and look up the latest Consumer Reports TV ratings.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NorCalRuss said:

Sites always get shut down and new ones open. Always been that way. There's federal cases going on right now all over the place. Lot of sites shutdown but there are many fighting it in court.  Your Kodi should be 17.3 krypton. Some users still use Kodi 16 Jarvis which is old so the newer stream sites aren't compatible because they set up for Kodi 17.3. I dunno if you know, many don't, once you have Kodi, you add a build to it which will draw from all available sources. Don't just use the Kodi app. Message me if ya need help. Are you clearing cache after every few movies? That can cause the slowness. The durex build will auto clean everything at start ups . 

I have Krypton but the buffering is driving me crazy. I empty the cache regualaly, but its still getting slower all the time. I use Exodus plus a couple more.

On 8/12/2017 at 1:28 PM, NorCalRuss said:

Thx for sharing.   I was pretty lost on Kodi until I was told it was no longer updating by my family.  I read your post and did a little research.  I setup No Limits Magic Build last night with the 17.3 version and am checking it out.  I'd like to focus on Sports a bit and will report back.   

IMG_2767.PNG

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:07 PM, NorCalRuss said:

Can you assist me with this?   Thx.  PM me if you like.   I assume this means that if I wanted to torture myself by watching a Giants game not televised in my area of Florida,  I could grab possibly a local Fox or CBS affiliate and watch the game?   

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:28 PM, NorCalRuss said:

They are up to Kodi 17.6 Krypton now, which I am using with an older firestick.   

I highly recommend Kodi-Supremacy setup...  for live TV from network to sports a thumbs up.  Sports is a wow factor (especially for my addiction of sports... my wife said you'll never sleep now lol).   I will have to do some research and see all the options I have and then start finding the scheduling to follow.   Yesterday Poland was playing Czechia (formerly Czech Republic) in a friendly and I wanted to check it out.   Only ESPN+ was carrying the game in the U.S., a monthly $4.99 fee I believe.    I watched the game :).  Thank you SkySports.  EuroSport 1 and 2 in play.  US sports channels as well.   Movies also looks solid, although I haven't spent much time on it yet.  Exodus was the go-to until recently.  

BEIN is available.   Xfinity/Comcast broke contract with them.   Forgot to mention.  

On 8/12/2017 at 3:07 PM, Sportsnut said:

Amazon Fire Stick 

Do you have a BrandSmart?

Get a Smart TV so you can Internet thru it. 

Look around. Prices vary. Of course, you get what you pay for but you can find something you like for $700 as big as 60-65 in. with all the bells and whistles.

Gott agree with SN go the SmartTV route - one less device in your house and they’re getting very affordable with awesome quality.  We bought a Sony 55 inch UHD at BestBuy about a year ago.  I think around $500.

FoxSports also has HS sports (along with every other sport at every level) so subscribe to that as well.