OT: World Cup thread

ATLien12x

5 hours ago, noonereal said:

Frankly I was surprised we did as well as we did getting to the 16 and scoring a goal. 

As the great Yoda once said…”this is why you fail”. Just messin’ nooner. But I’m actually a little surprised. I believe that we’ve come a long way from the days of a prayer for a goal and then parking the bus. Technique-wise, the US is strong/decent everywhere…except for finishing in the final 3rd. Clearly, their spatial awareness on defense was lacking today, but they created enough chances to win…they just didn’t finish and defend at the level of what was needed against a top tier team on the biggest stage. Once they find a legit #9, watch out (I get it that they just didn’t grow in trees). Hopefully, they learn from this. 👍

1 hour ago, Blueliner said:

As the great Yoda once said…”this is why you fail”. Just messin’ nooner. But I’m actually a little surprised. I believe that we’ve come a long way from the days of a prayer for a goal and then parking the bus. Technique-wise, the US is strong/decent everywhere…except for finishing in the final 3rd. Clearly, their spatial awareness on defense was lacking today, but they created enough chances to win…they just didn’t finish and defend at the level of what was needed against a top tier team on the biggest stage. Once they find a legit #9, watch out (I get it that they just didn’t grow in trees). Hopefully, they learn from this. 👍

Had a feeling and agree 💯 pct.  

9C11504E-D1FC-4C8F-BE60-2A510BA29B8A.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

France- Poland up to now is a 50/50 game. 

France isn't pressuring the ball and they're giving Poland every chance to score. This game should be 1-1. We'll see what the 2nd half looks like,  but if I was a polish fan,  I'd be feeling very good regardless of the result up to now

Initially no imo, but Poland started to generate some pressure and had some chances toward the latter part of the half.  Lew had a nice rip earlier. 

I was texting with a good friend of mine from Switzerland (NFL fanatic) and was about to text, 2 min extra time perhaps… and didn’t text it, because France finally broke the Poland D.  Sucked gaining some confidence and then boom.  :( 

10 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Mbappe the best player in the world.  You knew it would be Poland scoring or Mbappe on a counter attack

I’m a Poland fan. I knew the latter by someone :).   Two stars shine for France.  

Poland, what can I say in 1000 words or less?  Futility.  They’ve got talent around Lew.  These aren’t 3rd level Polish league players.   They just have no firepower, no wow factor anywhere on the pitch, except for a mostly invisible star when he wears the white and red uniform and a solid goalie.  

Poland’s best squads were during Communism.  I recall their ‘82 run as a teenager.  Had a good friend, who was Polish, and started rooting for Poland at the time.  40 years later, I’ve been looking for offensive might.  😞  
Lew dazzles the world in other unis, but at least he got a WC goal to add to his CV.  

1 minute ago, golfaddict1 said:

I’m a Poland fan. I knew the latter by someone :).   Two stars shine for France.  

Poland, what can I say in 1000 words or less?  Futility.  They’ve got talent around Lew.  These aren’t 3rd level Polish league players.   They just have no firepower, no wow factor anywhere on the pitch, except for a mostly invisible star when he wears the white and red uniform and a solid goalie.  

Poland’s best squads were during communism.  I recall their ‘82 run as a teenager.  Had a good friend, who was Polish, and started rooting for Poland at the time.  40 years later, I’ve been looking for offensive might.  😞  
Lew dazzles the world in other unis, but at least he got a WC goal to add to his CV.  

You can't blame Lewandowski, the midfield has to create some chances for him to score.  When you see Lewandowski defending somethings amiss. You won't see Mbappe, Brazilian Strikers, etc playing defense in their own box

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Milik bicycle kick nice attempt.  He’s a guy my father in law has complained about for years.  

VAR.   hand ball check  Looks like Lew may have another goal chance. 

Here comes Lew’s last WC goal attempt.  Ooof.   That attempt was brutal.  He gets a mulligan. 

Lew nets it.  

France wins 3-1 

Wife’s aunt will dig that last goal.  Losing with style, she calls it.  :)