Superbowl thread

DevilDog

19 minutes ago, Bormio said:

SF got into the red zone TWICE last night, once in OT.  Got an INT after half - start in KC territory and go backwards.  SF offense missed chances to score and did not create enough opportunities to do so either.  KC plays good defense, but it is the Niners job to overcome it. They failed.  Shanahan put the game on Purdy - he did not play near well enough.

Purdy was fine IMO, he was not a factor in why they lost. Second half play calling was typical Shanahan with a lead. 

The first drive marching down and McCaffrey fumbles. He never fumbles really would’ve been huge to statement on opening drive with a touchdown.

Fourth and one for Kansas City and you have your million dollar defensive end Bosa crashing down the line, not setting the edge and keeping any type of containment? That is stuff that is taught at the pop Warner level.

Plenty of open receivers for Kansas City over the middle the second half.  There were a lot of factors and why they lost, but to say it was on Purdy I don’t agree with that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Purdy was fine IMO, he was not a factor in why they lost. Second half play calling was typical Shanahan with a lead. 

The first drive marching down and McCaffrey fumbles. He never fumbles really would’ve been huge to statement on opening drive with a touchdown.

Fourth and one for Kansas City and you have your million dollar defensive end Bosa crashing down the line, not setting the edge and keeping any type of containment? That is stuff that is taught at the pop Warner level.

Plenty of open receivers for Kansas City over the middle the second half.  There were a lot of factors and why they lost, but to say it was on Purdy I don’t agree with that.

Fair enough, but SF offense simply was not consistent enough.  The early fumble hurt, but they still led 10-0 after that.  The start of the 2nd half really decided the game, because SF failed to separate.  Nothing after the INT.  Hold them after first and 10 on the one - and then nothing again.  There are moments in a game where the opponent is asking to be knocked out - and great QBs don’t miss them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cossacks said:

That was a tough one. Big game Shanahan’s 3rd down play call coming out of the time out and not having a play called for the blitz was the game. Brutal.

Can’t give Mahomes any mulligans. Congrats Chiefs.

2 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Exactly.  That was the play.  How they didn't expect that is beyond me.  It was disguised really well but you had to know they were coming.  Still though...an extra point from winning in regulation.  Hurts.  

On that play, how do you run from an empty backfield?…. Obvious pass, at least have McCaffrey in the backfield to help protect….

I put this game on Shanahan…. After you pick off Mahomes you go 3 and out with 3 pass plays…. Next possession you go 3 and out again all pass plays and penalties….

CMC only had 16 Carries in regulation, abandoned the run game and play action pass…. How do you not get your best player 20-25 Carries in regulation?…..

The Defense played Amazing and deserved to win…. Why Shanahan gets so pass happy in these big games blows my mind…. As a Niner fan this one was extra painful, ranks right up there with the 1990 NFC championship game….

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

On that play, how do you run from an empty backfield?…. Obvious pass, at least have McCaffrey in the backfield to help protect….

I put this game on Shanahan…. After you pick off Mahomes you go 3 and out with 3 pass plays…. Next possession you go 3 and out again all pass plays and penalties….

CMC only had 16 Carries in regulation, abandoned the run game and play action pass…. How do you not get your best player 20-25 Carries in regulation?…..

The Defense played Amazing and deserved to win…. Why Shanahan gets so pass happy in these big games blows my mind…. As a Niner fan this one was extra painful, ranks right up there with the 1990 NFC championship game….

Well put and Shanahan has shown a track record of weakness in big shows.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cossacks said:

Shanahan kept putting Purdy in bad positions by not sticking to the run game….

Even The Chiefs DC said that Purdy was much more impressive in person and he couldn’t believe they could not sac him but 1 time….. He played as good as Mahomes did…. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

No disrespect to Taylor but I wouldn't buy it... 

Until she gets a TD herself she doesn't need to be near Madden

…But it’ll be the swift edition.

With newly included playable career mode character, Taylor Swift.

You get to go on tour and everything. It doesn’t have anything to do with football but it’s Taylor Swift darn it!

35 minutes ago, Crusader12-0 said:

Apparently, the Niners had no idea how the new OT rules worked. I was also thinking about this last night. The decision to kick or receive the ball on the coin toss is no longer is an obvious one. I can definitely see good reasons for both kicking & receiving under this new format. 

It really is the same principle as college.  Go second and know what you have to do.  There is some difference as it is a regular game, not starting from the 25 - but in general go second.  If the other teams does not score - you can win with a FG.  Also helps on 4th down.  KC would have had to punt on 4th down (or at least strongly considered it), but since SF had already scored, they had to go for it.  Unbelievable that SF really did not have a clear idea what the decision would be going in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bormio said:

There are moments in a game where the opponent is asking to be knocked out - and great QBs don’t miss them.

Agree with this. They are legacy plays. I didn't see anywhere where Purdy under the conditions missed one?

Jimmy Garapalo missing Sanders was a huge miss and IMO costs the 9ers a Super Bowl 4 years ago. Jackie Smith dropping a apparent touchdown against the Steelers, again a legacy play IMO. But Purdy, nothing stood out to me where he did not make a play he should have yesterday.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, THEOC89 said:

Agree

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

Well put and Shanahan has shown a track record of weakness in big shows.  

The best with coaching and blowing it with a lead. Seriously stick with your game plan they should’ve kept going with the run in the second half in my opinion..

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

The best with coaching and blowing it with a lead. Seriously stick with your game plan they should’ve kept going with the run in the second half in my opinion..

If you would have told me before the game that KC would have 2 Turnovers, Mahomes would have 1 pick and 1 TD, get sacked 3 times and score 19 points I would have said the Niners win by 10….

That game never should have gone to OT…. Shanahan blew it…. He proved it in OT when CMC ran 6 times on 1 drive and they moved right down the field…. That’s why this one is extra painful…. 🤣

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bormio said:

It really is the same principle as college.  Go second and know what you have to do.  There is some difference as it is a regular game, not starting from the 25 - but in general go second.  If the other teams does not score - you can win with a FG.  Also helps on 4th down.  KC would have had to punt on 4th down (or at least strongly considered it), but since SF had already scored, they had to go for it.  Unbelievable that SF really did not have a clear idea what the decision would be going in.

Arena football used to use this exact same format and most often teams would kick and prepare to go for 2.

Though in the NFL I still think that electing to receive can still be justified, for if you and your opponent get the same result on the first drive (both punt or both kick FG), the game becomes true sudden death, and now you hold serve.

I don’t think it’s a one size fits all solution. It’s much easier to score in Arena football so you can’t depend on your defense to get a stop. In the NFL however, good defenses can be depended on to make a stop, especially against a lesser offensive. If you trust your defense, take the ball first. If not, kick and be prepared to go the two when you get the ball. 

On 2/12/2024 at 12:38 PM, Crusader12-0 said:

Apparently, the Niners had no idea how the new OT rules worked. I was also thinking about this last night. The decision to kick or receive the ball on the coin toss is no longer is an obvious one. I can definitely see good reasons for both kicking & receiving under this new format. 

I heard that if the niners would have scored a td in ot , KC would have gone for 2 if they scored a td also. Reasoning is that now, after both teams had their guaranteed possession,  the team that took the ball first, niners, would then hold the cards in that the first one to score next wins. Meaning niners would have 2 offensive possessions to the chiefs 1 . Of course both teams have a defense and are capable of making stops

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 1:25 PM, Cossacks said:

Agree with this. They are legacy plays. I didn't see anywhere where Purdy under the conditions missed one?

Jimmy Garapalo missing Sanders was a huge miss and IMO costs the 9ers a Super Bowl 4 years ago. Jackie Smith dropping a apparent touchdown against the Steelers, again a legacy play IMO. But Purdy, nothing stood out to me where he did not make a play he should have yesterday.

The only issue with Purdy Imo is his tendency to complete his short flair passes when its an obvious yardage loss... where a more seasoned QB would throw the pass over the receivers head and move on to the next down. That happened too many times throughout the game.

On 2/11/2024 at 5:24 PM, golfaddict1 said:

A lot of fumbleidas, Niners lines more physical so far and KC is fortunate to be down just 7 at the half.  

Hope you’re  having fun @Norcalnut

Sorry Golf, didn’t make it to the game. I went to Vegas a few days before the game feeling a little fatigued which turned out to be an infection on my neck and inside my trachea (surgery complications). I had to go to the hospital for IV antibiotics and a 4 day stay. I ended up giving my ticket to my grandsons stepdad so they could go together, (he deserves it for taking care of my grandkids for the past 12 years) best 13 grand I’ve ever spent after seeing the smile on their faces.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Norcalnut said:

Sorry Golf, didn’t make it to the game. I went to Vegas a few days before the game feeling a little fatigued which turned out to be an infection on my neck and inside my trachea (surgery complications). I had to go to the hospital for IV antibiotics and a 4 day stay. I ended up giving my ticket to my grandsons stepdad so they could go together, (he deserves it for taking care of my grandkids for the past 12 years) best 13 grand I’ve ever spent after seeing the smile on their faces.

I hope you are better sir. 

• Like 1

Always curious why the Super Bowl ads rarely make it past the Super Bowl evening. Lots of creativity and sometimes relieve funny and useful ads but they seem to disappear after the Super Bowl. Notice a couple of them out there the last few weeks but in the last 10 or 15 years they’re some great ads and they just seem to disappear after the Super Bowl Never understood that 

12 hours ago, Norcalnut said:

Hope you’re feeling better!  

I’m sure they had a very cool experience and classy move you made.  👍🏻

Spring training soon.