2018 Tier Placement - Final

Sammyswordsman

5 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

DLS is too high at this point in the season.

Their offense is coming along -- better throws and routes last night than in the previous two weeks, fewer missed blocks, better downhill running from the backs.

But 2 still seems too high, given they've got a young QB, young running RBs, young receivers, and a new O-line.

I would put them in Tier 3 for now, given where you've got Folsom, Cen10, and OLu.

Just getting ahead of the curve on DLS.  They should roll The Bishop, in which case they would get promoted to Tier 2 anyway.  Then they have no more obstacles until the SBG where they should compete better this year.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Tier 3 Milton beat your Tier 2 Cardinal Gibbons 42-17

What does Lee Co. gotta do to get some tier love... beat the defending FL 8A Champs 35-3? Check.

Beat the GA 3A Runner Ups 33-0... ? Yeeah.

Lee Co. is pretty darn good.

I dont think theyve given up over 100 total yards yet through 3 games combined.

Added Lee County to Tier 5.  Their QB is pretty accurate and they showed well vs. Dr. Phillips.  I will continue to keep an eye on them now that they are on the Tier Radar.

43 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Tier 1 - Mater Dei, IMG, St. Johns, STA, SFA, SJB,

Tier 2 -  Lake Travis, St. Louis,  Colquitt County, North Gwinett, Miami Central, Allen, DLS, Bergen Catholic, Pickerington Central, Bingham

Tier 3 - Colerain,  ULab, Arch Bishop Hoban, Katy, Rome, Warren Central, Good Council,  Mentor, Duncanville (TX),  Cen10, Carol City (fla),  Bishop Dunne, Milton, 

Tier 4 - Grayson, Folsom, Converse Judson Tx, , North Shore (Tx),  Mission Viejo, OLU, SPP,  Lincoln Way East (IL), Dematha, Archer, Deerfield Beach, St. Xavier, St. Iggy

Tier 5 - Serra (Gardena), Jokes Christian, SJR, SJP, Aledo, Buford, St. Iggy,  Upland, Blessed Trinity (Ga), Muskegon (Mi),   East (SLC)American Heritage (Fl), Saguaro,  Columbia (FL),  Loyola Academy (IL), JSerra,  Walton,  Marietta, , Chandler, Bishop Gorman, Liberty NV, Miami Northwestern, Cardinal Gibbons, Lee County

Tier 6 -  Servite, DBP, Gonzaga, John Curtis, Arch Bishop Rummel, Lowndes,  Phllips (IL), Trinity*, Santa Margarita, Cajon Ca, St. Edwards

*teams will not be considered to be in a Tier until they score a point ( if they have played a game).

Below is an explanation of the Methodolgy used to place the teams on various Tiers.  The Tier concept recognizes that W/L records are a function of quality of opponent, and as such, RELEVANCY of opponent MUST be factored in.  The Tiers recognizes that in some cases, a 10-0 team (ranked in Top 100 by some outlets) could get blown off the field by a 5-5 (unranked) team that played a tougher schedule.  This is why the Tiers was created.

*Not attempting to rank every team, only the ones we discuss on this site.

*Tier placements consider a teams entire body of work, however are weighted heaviest on recent games and game weights decrease in significance in reverse order.  In other words, early road OOS losses to relevant teams can be overcome as the season progresses.

*Teams placed on the same Tier can compete with other same Tier teams and possibly win 2+ of 10. 

*Basically there is a -10 point drop between tiers.  Could vary from 7 to 21 depending on the styles of teams playing.  This does not necessarily mean that there is a 30 point difference between Tier 1 and Tier 3, only that the chances of a Tier 3 team beating a Tier 1 team are exponentially less than the chances of a Tier 2 Team beating a Tier 1 team6

*The Tiers will ultimately be made up of (16) teams per Tier that would form competitive playoff brackets.

*Texas teams generally have not played enough OOS games to gauge properly #crapshoot.  There must be a daisy chain OOS connection for a reference point.  Teams with no OOS daisy chain connection may not be placed on a Tier.  (Texas exempt)

*Tiers are based on exhaustive research, Multiple games watched, and good gut feelings.

*This is a crowd sourced rating. All input will be considered and adjustments will be made as appropriate

Good stuff sammy. Might want to tread lightly on ga though. The last couple weeks has shown us alot.

22 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Just getting ahead of the curve on DLS.  They should roll The Bishop, in which case they would get promoted to Tier 2 anyway.  Then they have no more obstacles until the SBG where they should compete better this year.

I don't know whether DLS will roll the Bishop.

The Bishop lived on Centennial's side of the field all night long, and were stopped at least twice on Centennial's 1 yard line. 

The hometown refs helped quite a lot with Centennial's goal line defense. 

Plus GB held Centennial to just 6 points until the very end, when they were taking big risks on defense to try to get the ball back before time expired. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Belly Bob said:

I don't know whether DLS will roll the Bishop.

The Bishop lived on Centennial's side of the field all night long, and were stopped at least twice on Centennial's 1 yard line. 

Plus GB held Centennial to just 6 points until the very end, when they were taking big risks on defense to try to get the ball back before time expired. 

Interesting info.....hmmmm.  would like to see some footage on that one.

2 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Carol City tier 2.    AHP tier 3.  

Tell me more about Carol City and provide clips if possible.  AHP struggled against SJR who will probably lose by 14+ against Tier 2 BC.  The big loss to Carol City (which may get to Tier 2) and a dead even game vs Tier 5 SJR is not showing us that AHP can compete successfully with the current Tier 3 teams

1 minute ago, 954gator said:

DLS isn't tier 2 IMO. 

My thoughts.

Tier 3 at best and that may be generous at the moment. Even beating the Bishop will not be nearly as quality of a win as the Californians will lead us to believe, now if DLS can go in and crush them... I'll listen to an argument for Tier 2 status. As of now, there are a lot of teams better than BG.

1 minute ago, CCBlackhatter said:

My thoughts.

Tier 3 at best and that may be generous at the moment. Even beating the Bishop will not be nearly as quality of a win as the Californians will lead us to believe, now if DLS can go in and crush them... I'll listen to an argument for Tier 2 status. As of now, there are a lot of teams better than BG.

I am trending toward the school of thought that DLS will crush them. DLS has improved on offense each week substantially, and we already know their defense will keep them in any game (except Tier 1 Teams) 

With two losses, I don't think Kenny Sanchez can keep the wheels from falling off that wagon by the time DLS arrives in the desert.  We will find out which way BG is headed next week with a very winnable game vs Orem Utah

12 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Tell me more about Carol City and provide clips if possible.  AHP struggled against SJR who will probably lose by 14+ against Tier 2 BC.  The big loss to Carol City (which may get to Tier 2) and a dead even game vs Tier 5 SJR is not showing us that AHP can compete successfully with the current Tier 3 teams

Carol City blew out AHP at their home stadium. 

12 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

My thoughts.

No way, not with teams like SJR, AHP, etc at tier 5!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

I am trending toward the school of thought that DLS will crush them. DLS has improved on offense each week substantially, and we already know their defense will keep them in any game (except Tier 1 Teams) 

With two losses, I don't think Kenny Sanchez can keep the wheels from falling off that wagon by the time DLS arrives in the desert.  We will find out which way BG is headed next week with a very winnable game vs Orem Utah

How can we accurately evaluate their improvement when the quality of opponents faced has decreased significantly.

They've yet to play outside of NorCal and are beating the same schools they've beat for 30 consecutive years.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

How can we accurately evaluate their improvement when the quality of opponents faced has decreased significantly.

They've yet to play outside of NorCal and are beating the same schools they've beat for 30 consecutive years.

You make good points.  I am banking big time on the DLS defense which performed really, really well vs. the devil.  The defense alone gets them to Tier 3.  The clips I have seen of their QB and the O-line surge over the past two weeks, plus the coaching staff makes them borderline Tier 2.  For now they get the benefit of the doubt and we will see how they look in 2 weeks vs. The Bishop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CCBlackhatter said:

It's actually very, very easy.

You can count the number of times the offensive line jumps offsides when the center doesn't snap the ball; the number of times the QB turns around to hand the ball off and there isn't anyone there to take it; the number of times the offensive linemen mix up their blocking assignments; the number of times the QB runs into his own RBs; etc.

It's not real difficult to judge whether the offense is making fewer mental mistakes now than they were in weeks 1 and 2. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

My thoughts.

Ha

the only reason there are Ga teams in tier 2 is sammy pandering to the mob

its basically the national comp poll with a couple of GA teams that think they’ve been putting on a show this year vs the tadpoles of the small pond 

im fine with Sammy indulging the small minded to get the sites clicks up

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

Nonsense...Gorman had six or seven trips inside the Centennial 10 and only one of them had any ref involvement whatsoever. The others had them missing a point-blank field goal, resorting to an ill-advised jump pass on 4th and two, and an assortment of other failures in execution and play-calling. If their kicking game was becoming of a national power they could have won the game by doing nothing more than knocking down chip-shot field goals.

Use the officiating as a crutch if you like, but also acknowledge the fact that Centennial had multiple 15-yard penalties (the easiest fouls to ignore altogether) throughout the game.

Gorman didn't lose because of officiating; they lost because their ground game was non-existent and their quarterback play wasn't good enough to compensate for that.