How’s the stock market going? Haven’t had time to check this week...

NorCalRuss

10 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

Same to you. 

Even though we often disagree, I usually learn something new, which I do appreciate. 

Me too. I have never learned anything from one who agreed with me on a topic.  Often the contrarian has proven to be valuable though we disagreed on 100% of the subject matter.  The 30% gleaned from that disagreement is often valuable especially when you process their points.  

#Respect

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Me too. I have never learned anything from one who agreed with me on a topic.  Often the contrarian has proven to be valuable though we disagreed on 100% of the subject matter.  The 30% gleaned from that disagreement is often valuable especially when you process their points.  

#Respect

Might I also add #Respect to both of you as well...

and you have absolutely NAILED it with this post right here 👍

You may have also figured out why I sometimes play contrarian 😁...LOL

And the respect is not because we happen to agree on something 

....it is because of posts like the one here.

Kudos. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/12/2019 at 8:34 PM, NorCalRuss said:

Did the Market collapse this week or something? 

Haven't seen an update from our experts here lately for some reason...

here's an update....

only see Bloomberg and fox business covering it but while everyone else screams "rusky collusion" and plays soap opera....

The FTC gets 5 BILLION richer, for selling your info. to influence an election...

Thanks Facebook 🙄

all I gotta say.... is it's about time that someone is actually doing something about it..

• Like 1

And now the fed says the economy is humming along, and is hinting at an interest rate cut...which Trump said shoulda happened months ago. Corporations, companies, the stock market, and most importantly, the workers love Trump. You're right, Russ. Where are all the so-called chicken littles (er uh) experts to tell us...yet again...how the market is going to collapse...THIS TIME FOR SURE! Orange man bad🤣

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Blueliner said:

And now the fed says the economy is humming along, and is hinting at an interest rate cut...which Trump said shoulda happened months ago. Corporations, companies, the stock market, and most importantly, the workers love Trump. You're right, Russ. Where are all the so-called chicken littles (er uh) experts to tell us...yet again...how the market is going to collapse...THIS TIME FOR SURE! Orange man bad🤣

Curly us out there as we speak seeking THE TRUTH.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, rockinl said:

Someone with actual hands on knowledge, give me pros and cons of mutual fund investing.

It's Dave Ramsey's pick every time.

Simple. 

The "pros" are supposed to be able to pick better than you....

some do....some don't...

Of course you will pay a premium for the 'service'....

Most don't have the time or knowledge to pick a group of ten or so diversified investments to put in their 'basket' , and even many that do, often don't diversify.

So it (mutual funds) is a claim or pick that is hard to argue from anyone (when speaking to the general public). 

Of course they are also sold and pushed as a means of investing with short bankrolls (as you can invest minimal amounts)….but of course you could do that with most  stocks etc. as well 

If you are going to invest and do not want to take the time to do your own homework, that premium 'may' be justified...or you can control your own money and make your own picks....

Either way...don't bother with any that require a load, and check the yearly 'costs' (the skim). Checking the previous years returns can be pure BS so be careful weighting that.    Lower cost funds from GOOD companies I have found to do better than higher cost ones from bad companies....most likely due to better picks requiring less 'take' from your actual customers...

As example I would stick with some Vanguard funds over say some Goldman Sachs or Morgan Stanley stuff....

Just my .02 cents.... 

2 hours ago, rockinl said:

Someone with actual hands on knowledge, give me pros and cons of mutual fund investing.

It's Dave Ramsey's pick every time.

What's your time horizon on this investing and you'll have to ask yourself how much risk/reward you are willing to take.   Your % of equity and fixed income selections will play a role in your returns, and there are some ideas that you can consider to hedge risk, while not focusing on trying to time the market.    

If you want to play it safe and you have one fund to choose and call it a day, they now have I believe 0 expense fee index 500 passively run index funds from Fidelity and if not, very low fees at Fidelity and Vanguard is the historical behemoth with low cost funds.  

A total return fund also could be an option if you want to have some fixed income added in to hedge risk and better protect or preserve your investment.    

Long term focus for retirement, I've had midcap growth funds as a main focus, with two sector funds in Tech and Health.    Smallest portion is in an index 500 account (Jim Cramer would disagree, but like Cramer beating fund managers... I feel quality fund managers can beat their category index and the S&P 500).   

Long term,  I'd be aggressive as you can stomach.   

4 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

What's your time horizon on this investing and you'll have to ask yourself how much risk/reward you are willing to take.   Your % of equity and fixed income selections will play a role in your returns, and there are some ideas that you can consider to hedge risk, while not focusing on trying to time the market.    

If you want to play it safe and you have one fund to choose and call it a day, they now have I believe 0 expense fee index 500 passively run index funds from Fidelity and if not, very low fees at Fidelity and Vanguard is the historical behemoth with low cost funds.  

A total return fund also could be an option if you want to have some fixed income added in to hedge risk and better protect or preserve your investment.    

Long term focus for retirement, I've had midcap growth funds as a main focus, with two sector funds in Tech and Health.    Smallest portion is in an index 500 account (Jim Cramer would disagree, but like Cramer beating fund managers... I feel quality fund managers can beat their category index and the S&P 500).   

Long term,  I'd be aggressive as you can stomach.   

Thanks for the info. Just got some $$$ I need to invest for the next 5-7 years.

5 hours ago, Troll said:

Simple. 

The "pros" are supposed to be able to pick better than you....

some do....some don't...

Of course you will pay a premium for the 'service'....

Most don't have the time or knowledge to pick a group of ten or so diversified investments to put in their 'basket' , and even many that do, often don't diversify.

So it (mutual funds) is a claim or pick that is hard to argue from anyone (when speaking to the general public). 

Of course they are also sold and pushed as a means of investing with short bankrolls (as you can invest minimal amounts)….but of course you could do that with most  stocks etc. as well 

If you are going to invest and do not want to take the time to do your own homework, that premium 'may' be justified...or you can control your own money and make your own picks....

Either way...don't bother with any that require a load, and check the yearly 'costs' (the skim). Checking the previous years returns can be pure BS so be careful weighting that.    Lower cost funds from GOOD companies I have found to do better than higher cost ones from bad companies....most likely due to better picks requiring less 'take' from your actual customers...

As example I would stick with some Vanguard funds over say some Goldman Sachs or Morgan Stanley stuff....

Just my .02 cents.... 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, rockinl said:

5-7 in my nutty mind is long term.  

December last year I lost about 20 pct in funds.  Could you take that hit year one and not panic and sell and add more safe less equity focused exposure?   Those who held had a very nice January and 2019 overall.  

Ask yourself year 2 and so on... it’s not easy and I was cussing well as I’m sure many others were last December.  

I think you have to define your risk factor first.  Troll made good points.  

I’m learning more about bonds and that’s a must.   

Whats interesting nowadays are funds being traded like stocks.  ETF’s.  I was researching a Vanguard fund and checked the ETF with similar name and focus and the portfolio was identical... All data identical.  Two different symbols.  Only difference was the expense fee and initial contribution minimum.  

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...