CIF State matchups

Cal 14

D-Open:  De La Salle (NCS D-I) vs St. John Bosco (SS D-I)

D-IAA NorCal:  Central (CS D-I) vs Oak Ridge (SJS D-I)

D-IAA SoCal:  Sierra Canyon (SS D-II) vs Helix (SDS D-Open)

D-IA NorCal:  Serra (CCS D-I) vs San Joaquin Memorial (CS D-II)

D-IA SoCal:  Corona del Mar (SS D-III) vs Oceanside (SDS D-I)

D-IIAA NorCal:  Elk Grove (SJS D-II) vs Clayton Valley (NCS D-II)

D-IIAA SoCal:  Aquinas (SS D-V) vs San Juan Hills (SS D-IV)

D-IIA NorCal:  Manteca (SJS D-III) vs McClymonds (Oak)

D-IIA SoCal:  Pacifica (SS D-VI) vs Birmingham (LACS D-Open)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cal 14 said:

D-Open:  De La Salle (NCS D-I) vs St. John Bosco (SS D-I)

D-IAA NorCal:  Central (CS D-I) vs Oak Ridge (SJS D-I)

D-IAA SoCal:  Sierra Canyon (SS D-II) vs Helix (SDS D-Open)

D-IA NorCal:  Serra (CCS D-I) vs San Joaquin Memorial (CS D-II)

D-IA SoCal:  Corona del Mar (SS D-III) vs Oceanside (SDS D-I)

D-IIAA NorCal:  Elk Grove (SJS D-II) vs Clayton Valley (NCS D-II)

D-IIAA SoCal:  Aquinas (SS D-V) vs San Juan Hills (SS D-IV)

D-IIA NorCal:  Manteca (SJS D-III) vs McClymonds (Oak)

D-IIA SoCal:  Pacifica (SS D-VI) vs Birmingham (LACS D-Open)

Sort of surprised they went with Sierra Canyon over CDM for the D-IAA. I would take CDM head to head against Sierra Canyon by like 2 TDs.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

Sort of surprised they went with Sierra Canyon over CDM for the D-IAA. I would take CDM head to head against Sierra Canyon by like 2 TDs.

100% agree. Not sure why Sierra canyon is getting the hype. Sondy posting like they’re a threat to D1 next year. They’d only finish ahead of SM in the trinity, don’t think they’d win the mission league either. 

• Like 3

My takes:

D-Open:  Obvious.  DLS vs SS D-I winner.  Advantage for SJB, but I think MD was a tougher matchup for the Spartans.

D-IAA North:  Strange placement of Oak Ridge.  No ranking service had the Trojans anywhere near San Mateo Serra, much less higher.  Still, could be a good game against Central, but the Grizzlies are clearly the favorite.

D-IAA South:  I would have personally put Corona del Mar here instead of Sierra Canyon.  SC beat Grace Brethren by 6, while CdM blew out the Lancers in the 4th quarter of the SS D-III title game.  Still, this will be a good game.

D-IA North:  We've seen this movie twice already.  San Mater Serra has already faced the CS D-II winner and neither game was particularly close.  Good chance this will be a third time.

D-IA South:  Huge mismatch here, too, in my opinion.  CdM clear favorites.  But a potential Serra-CdM game looks pretty good.

D-IIAA North:  Have I mentioned that I've felt that the NCS has been overrated all year long?  I haven't?  Ok... the NCS has been overrated all year long... there.  Right now, I would say that Elk Grove is a 2-score favorite.

D-IIAA South:  I think Pacifica should have been placed here instead of Aquinas.  This is still a pretty decent matchup, but for the wrong reason.

D-IIA North:  Manteca is among several teams that could have been placed here.  No big problems for me, although I think McClymonds could have been higher (over Clayton Valley, at least).

D-IIA South:  Holy mismatch, Batman!  Pacifica should crush the Patriots from Birmingham. 

• Like 1

It appears that the CIF went way out of their way to preserve the order of the SS divisions.  They also went out of their way to have as few SS-SS matchups as possible.

Also curious, it appears that the SS D-X winner, Crescenta Valley has opted out of the state playoffs.  As a result, Bishop Union has a bye in D-VIA.

Not being able to send runner-up teams forces up some teams that would normally be playing in lower divisions in the north.  Narbonne being eliminated forces some teams higher in the south.  It may end up being a wash.

But, they still didn't make the divisions up in the same was as in the past.  Seems that the SS made a push to have their teams match up against other sections and they got that in place.

I'll still be watching, either way.

48 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Wouldn't that be some shit if De La Salle won? Lol

Yes, this year it would be a tremendous upset.  Doubt very much it will happen.  Both MD and SJB are already loaded for next year, but the chances of either team having a QB even close to the level of BY or DJ are pretty slim.   Next year may be the best chance for DLS in a while.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, On2whls said:

Yes, this year it would be a tremendous upset.  Doubt very much it will happen.  Both MD and SJB are already loaded for next year, but the chances of either team having a QB even close to the level of BY or DJ are pretty slim.   Next year may be the best chance for DLS in a while.

Are the schedules for next year out? Would like to see if MD and SJB schedule tough OOS games without BY and DJ

4 minutes ago, Kalven said:

Are the schedules for next year out? Would like to see if MD and SJB schedule tough OOS games without BY and DJ

I have not seen next years schedule for either team.  Make no mistake though, both teams will still be loaded.  They just need average to above average QB’s to maintain their separation from all the local competition and be competitive with some national teams.

Both programs appear to be “all in” on being MNC candidates so expect more of the “bring it on” approach.  

1 hour ago, On2whls said:

LMAO...  I'm planning on Mater Dei and SJB to announce their new Transfer QB's before New Years Day 2020.

You can bet both of them will have plenty of "recruiting stars" next to their names.

• Thumbs Down 1

33 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Hey Cali guys is the only North VS. South Championship in the D-Open or are these like Semi-final matchups and the winners of the North and South will play the following week?  

All But the Open are Semi Finals or Regional Playoff Games.... 

The Open is the only one with no Regional Playoff Due to “The Folsom Rule” in 2014....

• Thanks 1