Most painful loss you watched your high school team have any sport?

HooverOutlaw

2017 Corky Kell between North Gwinnett and Walton (my first ever high school football game). Back and forth game, and North Gwinnett took a 21-14 lead just before halftime on a hail mary. Lead grew to 28-14 before Walton scored 17 straight to make it 31-28 with under a minute left in the game. After some miraculous throws and our runner getting out of bounds with just 1 second remaining in the game, we set up for a field goal from the right hash. Kick is blocked and Walton wins. Only loss of the season, but the most heartbreaking in the past 3 years.

even though it was a regular season game, rivalry game, for the Servite community, it has to be without a doubt, the 2006 game against Mater Dei at Angel Stadium. Servite was so close to snapping the Mater Dei streak, but they missed a game-winning field goal, that hit the upright, bounced off or got deflected by the metal pole on the goal post.

1 hour ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

even though it was a regular season game, rivalry game, for the Servite community, it has to be without a doubt, the 2006 game against Mater Dei at Angel Stadium. Servite was so close to snapping the Mater Dei streak, but they missed a game-winning field goal, that hit the upright, bounced off or got deflected by the metal pole on the goal post.

Maybe it was that one. But another possibility was the 1976 Servite/St.Paul game. St. Paul had won the previous 8 games in a row,  but with 1:51 seconds left at the St. Paul "Pit," Servite had just scored and made a two point conversion. The Friars led 22-21. St. Paul was a 3-yd and a cloud of dust team. Surely we could hold them for 1:51, right? Wrong! First play from scrimmage after the kickoff was a bomb, and the DB tripped over his own feet and went down. Suddenly wide open, the Swordsman receiver hauled in the pass, and waltzed into the end zone for a 28-21 win. 

The Friars did manage to break the 9-game losing streak the following year, upsetting the heavily favored Swordsmen 22-6 at the Big-A (Anaheim Stadium).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

33 minutes ago, MD87 said:

MD v Bosco,  2019 football SS championship.  Never should have happened.

Runner up: MD v Oakland Fremont, 1999, hoops state title game.  Disgusting lack of control by the refs.

Do you think Rollo himself,. Feels that is the most painful loss in his entire HC career at MD? What other notable losses would you think he feels are the most painful?

1985 South Vs West

A plucky, undersized Sophomore who broke his collarbone in game two was back for the season finale vs hated rival West. 

The young buck lead his team to from down three TDs at the half to down four with less than 30 seconds left and the ball. After a mad scramble from a collapsed pocket, he throws the ball over 55 yards in the air to his wide open WR, who catches the ball then promptly spikes it on the one yard line, ending the game and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. 

True story! 

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

Do you think Rollo himself,. Feels that is the most painful loss in his entire HC career at MD? What other notable losses would you think he feels are the most painful?

I really do.  The 56-3 shellacking at the hands of Ike had to hurt, I'm sure, but when you're the #1 team in the nation and you're up 28-5 in 3Q against the same team you handled with ease weeks earlier and collapse like that?  For the section championship and the chance to play for your third straight Natty?  I defy anyone to name a more gut-wrenching MD loss than that.  It must (will!) be avenged.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sweetlarry said:

1985 South Vs West

A plucky, undersized Sophomore who broke his collarbone in game two was back for the season finale vs hated rival West. 

The young buck lead his team to from down three TDs at the half to down four with less than 30 seconds left and the ball. After a mad scramble from a collapsed pocket, he throws the ball over 55 yards in the air to his wide open WR, who catches the ball then promptly spikes it on the one yard line, ending the game and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. 

True story! 

I tried searching for this online and I couldn't find it. Are the names of the schools simply West and South? Or if possible, can you attach a link to an article or video? Thanks.

2 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

I tried searching for this online and I couldn't find it. Are the names of the schools simply West and South? Or if possible, can you attach a link to an article or video? Thanks.

You won’t find it Buddy. Our old Coach had it, but nobody else that we knew of. 

He passed last year. Still smarts. 😂 

2011 Timber Creek 20, Apopka 0, first round of the playoffs. Timber Creek's first win against Apopka in varsity football and it was one of the few times I have ever seen Apopka get shutout.

Horrible game by the Blue Darters. Very painful to watch. The irony is that the following year, Apopka went on to win state with most of the same players. Difference is that in 2011 it was a bunch of Sophomores and Freshmen while in 2012 it was Juniors and Sophomores. 

1 minute ago, Sweetlarry said:

You won’t find it Buddy. Our old Coach had it, but nobody else that we knew of. 

He passed last year. Still smarts. 😂 

Ahh darn. Why do I feel like I'm going to spend the rest of the night searching for it even though it doesn't exist? The thought has been planted, but no tree will grow sadly.

Not my team but I attended a game that turned into heartbreaking loss for a team in the mid 2000’s

a city team that had won a section championship the year before was playing in a semifinal game attempting to repeat.

They found themselves down 7 with the ball at midfield with seconds remaining.

As expected it was a Hail Mary to the end zone but it fell incomplete.

However the opposing team was flagged for roughing the passer which resulted in an untimed down from the 40.

Another Hail Mary was miraculously completed putting them down by 1 and without hesitation they lined up for a two point conversion.

The starting QB didn’t line up though the back up QB ran out.Weather he was injured from the late hit nobody ever knew.

they ran a trap play which produced a wide lane for the back only problem was when the guard pulled he clipped the nose of the ball 🏈 with his hip that resulted in a fumble .

The swing in emotions in a matter of seconds was stunning 

23 minutes ago, Ararar said:

Not my team but I attended a game that turned into heartbreaking loss for a team in the mid 2000’s

a city team that had won a section championship the year before was playing in a semifinal game attempting to repeat.

They found themselves down 7 with the ball at midfield with seconds remaining.

As expected it was a Hail Mary to the end zone but it fell incomplete.

However the opposing team was flagged for roughing the passer which resulted in an untimed down from the 40.

Another Hail Mary was miraculously completed putting them down by 1 and without hesitation they lined up for a two point conversion.

The starting QB didn’t line up though the back up QB ran out.Weather he was injured from the late hit nobody ever knew.

they ran a trap play which produced a wide lane for the back only problem was when the guard pulled he clipped the nose of the ball 🏈 with his hip that resulted in a fumble .

The swing in emotions in a matter of seconds was stunning 

Somehow this game gave me 1984 Orange Bowl vibes between Nebraska and Miami. Nebraska lost on the two point conversion.

Plano East vs. John Tyler in 1994 has to be the most heartbreaking high school football game ever. I doubt there's anything more heartbreaking than recovering 3 onside kicks and scoring thrice, just to lose on a kick return touchdown. Definitely one of the best games in the history of high school football, if not the best.

• Thanks 1