Most painful loss you watched your high school team have any sport?

HooverOutlaw

For the 1st time in school history my sons team can make the playoffs winning the final game.30 yards out & 6 seconds to go the coach calls a trick play & it works tieing the score 13 - 13.The kid that scored heaved the ball into the air celebrating & got flagged.The kicker had no range so they went for 2 & failed.They lost in 2nd ot. 20 - 23.

14 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

That was me that said for MD basketball it was the 1984 championship loss to LB Poly. The team returned 5 starters from the 83 championship team and their only other loss that season was to DeMatha which was a matchup of the top 2 teams in the country. McKnight will be the first to admit he forced the action too much to Tom Lewis.

For football the most painful was the 2019 CIF championship loss to Bosco. By far! The 56-3 game was indeed an embarrassing ass kicking but it didn’t hurt nearly as much. Honestly the 2016 loss to Bosco in the final was worse than 56-3. We were undefeated going into that game. Wyatt Davis single handily imposed his will and bludgeoned the MD defensive line that night.

I remember that Poly loss, of course, as I was just finishing up my freshman year at MD.  For honorable mention, take your pick from the '99 state title loss to Oakland Fremont (bunch of punks - refs let that game get out of hand); '92 state title loss to JKidd; '06 state title upset by Oak Ridge; '07 title loss to Paly......or any one of the many losses to The Shaw.  Thankfully, we've had plenty of highlights over the years.

• Like 1

The most painful loss for my team, Lakeland, was a game I wasn't able to watch. In 1998, Lakeland was 12-0, having destroyed every team they played. They went down to Fort Lauderdale and won a shootout on STA's home field. Came back home the next week against a no-name Estero team that had less than 40 (maybe even less than 30) players. Screwed up a bunch, played awful, but still led 14-12 in the closing seconds. Estero had 12 guys on the field as they kicked the game winning FG. 15-14 Estero. Kissimmee Osceola beat them 28-14 the next week to win the state title. Has to be the worst loss in Lakeland history.

1991 CIF CCS D-II basketball playoffs, Salinas vs Leland, 2nd round.  We (Salinas) were #2 seeds, had a D-I center (which was extremely unusual), as well as a future NFL OT as a backup power forward.  Talk was of a state playoff bid (you just had to get to the sectional finals to advance). 

Leland played well for 3 quarters, while Salinas was sloppy.  Down by 10 entering the 4th.  We roar back to tie the game with 10 seconds left.  Leland player takes a shot from about 14 feet.  Our center rejects it, but right back to the shooter, who retakes the shot and sinks it for the win as time expires.

2017 CIF 4A NorCal football regional, Salinas vs Placer.  Salinas jumps out to a 21-0 lead late in the 1st quarter.  Placer remains calm and slowly chips away.  Salinas was known for undisciplined play and ended the first half with over 100 penalty yards, but still had a lead.  Midway in the 4th qtr, Salinas is able to score a TD to go ahead by 8 pts.  Rather than go for the PAT to go up by 9, the coach elects to go for 2!  They don't get it.  Placer remains in their wing-T offense (when they were forced to pass, they weren't especially successful, which included one pick-6) and drive down for a TD late in the game.  They go for 2 and get it.  Game tied and goes into overtime.

Placer gets the ball first and scores.  PAT gives them a 7-pt lead.  Salinas also scores and goes for PAT.  Misses.  Game over.  Although Placer did block an FG earlier in the game, it was the first PAT missed all season long for Salinas kicker.

Decision to go for 2 in the 4th qtr was the dumbest call by a coach I'd ever seen.

• Like 1

You can't be that upset over losing to J Kidd imop . That was a great team and an all time state player . St Joes was expected to win . Game wasn't even close . The others I can see , especially to Oak Ridge and Paly , though , in reality , maybe MD was a little overrated and the other two were underrated , both having future NBA players on them 

19 hours ago, Norcalnut said:

That’s the only game I could think of that DLS lost when there is no way they should have. Since the start of the streak anyway.

What about Lakeland in 2009 ? Dela started right where they left off after  DBP , spotting them a 14-0 lead, playing awful . They come back and take game over only to lose momentum with the 30 min delay due to injury on Lakeland, having to settle  for fg. In ot they go for win in 2nd ot, only to have rb make the wrong move to inside when outside was open . Devastating loss considering this was two losses in a row . I know they hadn't found their qb yet ( Bart ) , but I definitely  felt they were the better team than Lakeland ,   even that night .

On 6/30/2020 at 3:15 PM, Norcalnut said:

That’s the only game I could think of that DLS lost when there is no way they should have. Since the start of the streak anyway.

22 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

What about Lakeland in 2009 ? Dela started right where they left off after  DBP , spotting them a 14-0 lead, playing awful . They come back and take game over only to lose momentum with the 30 min delay due to injury on Lakeland, having to settle  for fg. In ot they go for win in 2nd ot, only to have rb make the wrong move to inside when outside was open . Devastating loss considering this was two losses in a row . I know they hadn't found their qb yet ( Bart ) , but I definitely  felt they were the better team than Lakeland ,   even that night .

Time of the year plus after a tough loss Lakeland  I could stomach, but Canyon game should have been a blowout.

On 6/26/2020 at 9:04 PM, FootballGuy said:

Say @954gator... wouldn't you say the STA loss to BG in 16 was painful? Watching QB1 right now and that episode was on. STA definitely let BG off the hook....smh. Great game nonetheless. 

another one that hurt was when Valdosta came up to McT and laid a 45'er on the board.  I thought the Demons were in upset mode at home that night but wow that one hurt everyone that night!!!

11 hours ago, 954gator said:

STA Vs Pine Forest was another one in 2000.    STA running back “fumbled” in OT as he got into the endzone.   That was a rough one.

Yeah, I think its either 2000 Pine Forest or 2006 Lakeland.

The Bishop Gorman game was in September and we had already lost the #1 ranking.

• 3 weeks later...

another guess, for John Barnes of Los Al, it would be those playoff losses in the 1994 and 1995 season for Los Alamitos, Los Al was ranked high in the nation during those seasons, in 1994, they lost a huge playoff game to MD at Angel Stadium, for 1995, they lost to Loyola HS of L.A. i believe on a missed field goal.

It reminds me, in the 30+ years since a California public school won a Natty in H.S. football, there have been close calls but each public school team lost by a close score. I wonder if there is a curse on California public schools that has prevented their FB programs from winning a Natty, just like how people used to believe in the Superstitions that the Boston Red Sox or Chicago Cubs were cursed for many decades.