The No Nonsense Top 100

Omaha Vol

For the sake of argument, let's hope that Central, Aquinas, SFA, and BG win out in order to set up a hell of a post-season bowl series. GA folks, does GA allow a post-playoff bowl, as Buford would also be in this mix?

STA v. BG (revenge game for Aquinas from the "loss" at BG some years back.

Central v. SFA (same thing; SFA roughed up a pretty good but not great Central team some time ago).

2 hours ago, OldTerrapin said:

So if teams improve as the season progresses then wouldn't that apply to all teams?

Baring injuries and academic DQ's of course

I think if you start a lot of younger players (freshman, sophomore's) it's possible that sometimes by the end of the year they turn into sophomores and juniors.

That is if the team is well coached and they have a quality system in place.

Also great High School football coaches tend to make moves that improve their team during the year. May change QBs, may run the ball more, may pass the ball more, may put a LB at at RB or just whatever.

When you use the word improvement there should be some type of actual factual evidence that would indicate a team has improved and why.

Very rarely does anyone really ever support their claim of improvement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atticus Finch said:

Last year the Geico Bowls took place on the same weekend of the large school state championships in Florida.

So if that continues this year then only the small schools (Chaminade) would be able to participate.

Yeah the finals for all the other teams are Dec 15th-17th. So if that’s the weekend for the Geico then Chaminade will be the only team eligible from FL

3 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Liberty AZ has two more quality opponents left to run the table in Zona.  If they finish undefeated, I’d like to see them invited and add an OOS game to their resume in ‘22. 

I've been trying to get those Liberty cowards to come play my crew of 40-somethings at Turkey Bowl 2022 but they keep ducking us. Be sure to consider that when evaluating their resume 🙂

• Haha 1

On 11/16/2022 at 2:00 PM, Omaha Vol said:

Dominating Bergen 31-7 trumps that fluke upset loss to Iona. Also, Iona lost to St. Anthony's, who lost to St. Joeph's Reg., who DBP beat also adds to my decision making. 

Don't worry, though, when Bergen beats DBP in the rematch the Ironmen will be adjusted accordingly. Until that happens, DBP will stay where they are. 

If Iona and DBP were to play this weekend it would be a 1 score game again either way.  And they still wouldn’t be able to contain the Iona QB, who was the best player on the field (As quoted by DBP coach) and he would be again in a rematch.  Same if they were to play Edgewater again.  They would have a hard time this season containing any dynamic mobile QB.  You could continue to say “fluke” all you want, but you are incorrect.  DBP plays a very disciplined style of defense, but when a play breaks down and they have to chase a very athletic QB their defense seems to lack the team speed they have had on their best teams, IMO.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, badrouter said:

I'd like to see SFA locked out of this game. If there is an unbeaten champ from AZ, they can play Chaminade or Buford.

I'd also like to see the game played a week later so other teams have a shot.

If Liberty wins the AZ Open both C-M and Buford would be interesting match-ups. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

If Iona and DBP were to play this weekend it would be a 1 score game again either way.  And they still wouldn’t be able to contain the Iona QB, who was the best player on the field (As quoted by DBP coach) and he would be again in a rematch.  Same if they were to play Edgewater again.  They would have a hard time this season containing any dynamic mobile QB.  You could continue to say “fluke” all you want, but you are incorrect.  DBP plays a very disciplined style of defense, but when a play breaks down and they have to chase a very athletic QB their defense seems to lack the team speed they have had on their best teams, IMO.

Those DBP teams from 2008-2012 would contain athletic qbs and most likely knock them out of the game IMHO

20 minutes ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

Those DBP teams from 2008-2012 would contain athletic qbs and most likely knock them out of the game IMHO

They had some great speed on defense those years.  DBP defense this season is very disciplined and they are physical, but they don’t have those same type of athletes to pursue and close on a great athlete with the ball in space.

• Like 1

I will say that it is true that teams very rarely completely duplicate their performance from one game to the next. Teams can play very poorly one game and play their absolute best in another game. It might be true that DBP played poorly vs. Edgewater and excellently vs. BC. But, we can't be sure of this, since there is an obvious and huge difference between Edgewater and BC. And, to whatever degree one wishes to downplay their worst performance on the grounds that they played better in other games, they'd have to also downplay their best performances. Maybe the Edgewater game wasn't a totally accurate portrayal of DBP this year. BUT, maybe the wins over DLS, STA etc weren't fair to those teams, either. We could play this game all night long, for decades (we sort of already have). That's why the best policy is to simply take the results on the field at face value. 

11 hours ago, badrouter said:

I'd also like to add that I think you have Osceola overrated now. They've dropped off it seems. CAI is probably better than them.

I did drop Osceola for their close call against DeLand in the first round. Treasure Coast is a dangerous team. The best school with a losing record IMO. It wouldn’t shock me if they upset Osceola.