CA Open De La Salle 33 St. John Bosco 56 Final

PrepGridiron

1 minute ago, Pops said:

I agree it could have been worse, but could have been much tighter also

it seemed like every time DLS stopped SJB it was a miracle, but 

-- give em the score at the end to cut it to 2 score game

-- take away that heads up play by SJB on the DLS trick return and it's a 1-score game

-- that last SJB fumble recovery was out of bounds --> maybe an even game

-- missed connection in end zone, etc

i thought SJB was awesome -- especially on offense -- I think they're probably 2nd best team in the country and played like it -- just think they got their fair share of the breaks and MOV imdicative -- I think DLS wins 1 in 20 against these guys...... maybe -- those are the odds of a true 21-point dog

am proud of this DLS team -- lots of talented underclassmen and the seniors played with a chip on their shoulder all year and rallied around a QB that hadn't played football since his freshman year -- he wasnt the issue -- DLS scored enough to win -- just couldn't stop those big hosses opening lanes for that fleet of ferrari's, with the fastest kid in hsfb as the triggerman -- Losing Tui (best defender/ junior with USC offer) should have made a difference but DLS wasn't stopping SJB with him 

Props to SJB and SoCal for the big game sweep -- impressive -- you have scoreboard for one year -- enjoy it -- winter is coming

DLS put the ball on the ground 5 times against SJB in 2013 and 6 times tonight. Why is that? Is that just something that comes with using the Veer against a physical defense? Seems like a huge liability, if it's systemic.

36 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

DLS put the ball on the ground 5 times against SJB in 2013 and 6 times tonight. Why is that? Is that just something that comes with using the Veer against a physical defense? Seems like a huge liability, if it's systemic.

Partly the veer

partly a physical defense 

maybe partly an uptick of 1-2 from variance if small sample size

sjb got more benefit from TOS tonight

i was very impressed

the matchup made me think if DLS - Folsom -- jake browning was something like 43-2 in high school including 0-2 bs DLS -- the reason imho was that if you gave him time, he was going to beat you and DLS had one of best DLs in hsfb in '12-'13 and so we're his cryptonite -- SJB just too good and big along the OL for DLS to stop -- DLS just wasn't physically capable of stopping SJB enough to overcome a 1-dimensional offense that I thought played great, but weren't going to keep pace

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dntn31 said:

CalPreps just updated. Current top 25...

Rank    School    Rating
1    Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas, NV)    89.3
2    St. John Bosco (Bellflower, CA)    86.8
3    Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA)    85.6
4    IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL)    85.2
5    Lake Travis (Austin, TX)    79.7
6    Grayson (Loganville, GA)    79.1
7    Aquinas [St. Thomas] (Fort Lauderdale, FL)    78.7
8    Centennial (Corona, CA)    77.4
9    DeMatha (Hyattsville, MD)    76.8
10    Carol City (Miami, FL)    74.4
11    DeSoto (TX)    74.1
12    St. Joseph's Prep (Philadelphia, PA)    73
13    Cass Tech (Detroit, MI)    73
14    St. Xavier (Cincinnati, OH)    72.8
15    Cathedral (San Diego, CA)    72.6
16    Chandler (AZ)    72.2
17    Colerain (Cincinnati, OH)    71.8
18    Center Grove (Greenwood, IN)    71.2
19    St. Ignatius (Cleveland, OH)    71.2
20    Fayetteville (AR)    71
21    Trinity (Louisville, KY)    71
22    Camas (WA)    70.9
23    East (Salt Lake City, UT)    70.2
24    De La Salle (Concord, CA)    70
25    St. Mary's (Stockton, CA)    69.7

No surprise here.   If Gorman would have beaten say IMG instead of SJB, they'd be #3 behind MD and SJB.   This is just how Cpreps works. (No offense as SJB is a very good team just not #2 in my book)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 954gator said:

No surprise here.   If Gorman would have beaten say IMG instead of SJB, they'd be #3 behind MD and SJB.   This is just how Cpreps works. (No offense as SJB is a very good team just not #2 in my book)

Not sure what you're saying but if I'm inferring correctly I don't think that's correct and I'm not sure it'd be wrong if it were

gorman has a 3 point lead, they weren't going to drop much if at all from a win over IMG v SJB who are separated by 1 point

and, if that did happen and you take away SJB's loss to Gorman, with their only blemish v MD that was avenged with prejudice, not sure closing with 3 statement wins vs CC/ MD/ DLS doesn't make them as or more deserving over a team that hasn't played a meaningful game for almost 3 months 

i like the top 11 a lot

imteresting, for me, the last 3 -- East, DLS, St Mary's -- DLS 0.2 behind east, so may be limited by the rule of undefeated opponents that you've lost to being ahead by at least 0.2

fwiw, I see the same thing in terms of teams seeming to get a lift by losing to a good team but that also applies to STA and Grayson and Kahuku so don't see a geographic issue 

Lake Travis will fall a smidgen when CalPreps gets the score right...  it was 41-13, not 41-12... I realize thats only 1 point but when that 6th game/championship game carries so much weight, and it goes from a 93.8 PR instead of 94.8.. it may be enough to let Grayson slip by... not sure though.

Perhaps Ned will gaine some sense in the offseason... to stop doing National Rankings solely for the purpose of clicks... 

7 hours ago, dntn31 said:

I think that fumbles are a part of using the veer. (I haven't looked at any data, but from watching DLS games, DLS does seem to fumble more than the teams they play.)

But the number of fumbles against SJB appears to be higher than average, even adjusting for physical teams.

DLS fumbled 4 times against STA and 3 times against ET.

On the other hand, DLS scored more points against SJB this year than any other team besides Cen10. So I guess it's a bit of a double-edged sword. 

7 hours ago, dntn31 said:

Alright one BOSCO spellout then I'm going to bed...

B B B O S!

S S S C O!

B O S!

S C O!

Gooo.....

B B B O S!

S S S C O!

B O S!

S C O!

Gooo BOSCO!

According to Calpreps: 

SJB beat the #2, #3, #5, #6 CA teams this year. Also unprecedented. Making 2016 SJB one of the best CA teams of all time. According to CP

• Like 1

2 hours ago, noonereal said:

THE cA bowl games need a correction

it's ridiculous that DLS always gets in without being tested as the south Cal teams go through a war. 

There are people on Spartanhood who think that this De La Salle team getting to the Open Bowl was some kind of great accomplishment.

But they all they had to was beat Clayton Valley and Freedom.

With bye weeks before each game too.

The system is awful.

21 minutes ago, LOSer said:

There are people on Spartanhood who think that this De La Salle team getting to the Open Bowl was some kind of great accomplishment.

The system is awful.

There is always a something something Valley team tryna block DLS from the SBG

8 hours ago, dntn31 said:

Their  They're not too shabby, but SJB did put a running clock on SPP last year...

Edit: too much single malt..

Excellent job beating a team with 1 Top 2000 win. Not that I place stock in CPs national rankings... BUT if you are 2000+ I can atleast say you arent very good...

I do atleast glance at CPs state rankings because theirs actually connecting data and therefore team scaling... and SPP was #11 in NJ. Anything past 6 or 7 in NJ is usually pretty bad. 

And it was like 14-14 at halftime I think! At worse it mightve been 21-14

Im not sure thats a win to tip your cap to.. but grats on it nonetheless.

23 minutes ago, LOSer said:

The system is awful.

.....as compared to say The Bishops league gauntlet and playoff run.

24 minutes ago, LOSer said:

The system is awful.

If Canes and I agree... its probably correct. It wont happen more than once or twice more til next year.

7 hours ago, Pops said:

Not sure what you're saying but if I'm inferring correctly I don't think that's correct and I'm not sure it'd be wrong if it were

gorman has a 3 point lead, they weren't going to drop much if at all from a win over IMG v SJB who are separated by 1 point

and, if that did happen and you take away SJB's loss to Gorman, with their only blemish v MD that was avenged with prejudice, not sure closing with 3 statement wins vs CC/ MD/ DLS doesn't make them as or more deserving over a team that hasn't played a meaningful game for almost 3 months 

i like the top 11 a lot

imteresting, for me, the last 3 -- East, DLS, St Mary's -- DLS 0.2 behind east, so may be limited by the rule of undefeated opponents that you've lost to being ahead by at least 0.2

fwiw, I see the same thing in terms of teams seeming to get a lift by losing to a good team but that also applies to STA and Grayson and Kahuku so don't see a geographic issue 

What I mean is gorman is #1 because they beat the best in California.   How else would you explain MD and SJB both with losses ranked over undefeated IMG?  

Just now, 954gator said:

How else would you explain MD and SJB both with losses ranked over undefeated IMG?  

Bosco beat DLS so they have to be the best or 2nd best team in the country.

Duh.

11 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Excellent job beating a team with 1 Top 2000 win. Not that I place stock in CPs national rankings... BUT if you are 2000+ I can atleast say you arent very good...

I do atleast glance at CPs state rankings because theirs actually connecting data and therefore team scaling... and SPP was #11 in NJ. Anything past 6 or 7 in NJ is usually pretty bad. 

And it was like 14-14 at halftime I think! At worse it mightve been 21-14

Im not sure thats a win to tip your cap to.. but grats on it nonetheless.

I never said SPP was good. Just that they got running clocked by a Trinity team that traveled 2500 miles. Please feel free to post more Trinity v BNU data points.