CA Open De La Salle 33 St. John Bosco 56 Final

PrepGridiron

7 minutes ago, Pops said:

There's some truth to what you allege, but you assign motives that aren't there

When did he assign motives?

He's not like you where you claim that Florida purposefully 'gives' it's best teams their own bracket.

That's batshit kind of stuff.

2 minutes ago, LOSer said:

You probably won't be able to come up with a team rated #188 who beat 3 state champions either.

What you're saying is irrelevant and is just some made up standard that you came up with to justify your 'feelings' about STA.

I can't imagine who the other champs are -- I'm not going to Maxpreps playoff bracket to see who you're referring to 

BTW only had 2 top 500 wins, so that says something about the value of state championships in FL

Not to mention their 4 losses, including to Jackson

10 minutes ago, Pops said:

DLS is the top national program in the country for the last 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, or 30 years

xD

It's like a defense mechanism now.

Just regurgitating this to reassure yourself.

11 minutes ago, Pops said:

If you think playing a top 10 team is indicative of the easiest path in the country, then I guess it is

Sure we do.

Because we know that the 'path' is actually Clayton Valley, Freedom and [insert SoCal team].

Win those three games and DLS automatically gets top 10 treatment.

They've been fortunate enough to get a lot of Centennials in that final game recently.

13 minutes ago, Pops said:

Go 2-0 or 3-0 against top 100 teams and then play Liberty or Bolles in your state championship seems easier to me.

Going 2-0 or 3-0 against the top 100 seems easy?

Heck, De La Salle is 11-12 vs. the calpreps 100 all-time. They've never gone 3-0 vs. the top 100.

It seems to be that playing a bunch of slapdicks in the regular season and playing one elite team (usually a perfect match) in the last game (just in time for hyper-improvement) is the perfect recipe.

14 minutes ago, Pops said:

I haven't said once this year that DLS should be in the top 25

But I have no problem with them finishing @ #24

Sure you don't.

But you did try to argue that a good enough result in this game would warrant it if they could beat Freedom or some other fraud team leading up to it.

You're so transparent.

10 minutes ago, LOSer said:

Sure we do.

Because we know that the 'path' is actually Clayton Valley, Freedom and [insert SoCal team].

Win those three games and DLS automatically gets top 10 treatment.

They've been fortunate enough to get a lot of Centennials in that final game recently.

If that's your definition of strength, then STA didn't play anyone that they actually beat

Have never seen such a ratings boost for a close loss

I can't imagine who the other champs are -- I'm not going to Maxpreps playoff bracket to see who you're referring to 

BTW only had 2 top 500 wins, so that says something about the value of state championships in FL

Not to mention their 4 losses, including to Jackson

They beat American Heritage by 20 in the KOC (week 0).

They beat Southridge, STA and American Heritage.

How far would you have to go back to find three wins as impressive for De La Salle?

It just works out that way

Because calpreps gives more weight to teams that win their last games.

Hence why this new format benefits De La Salle so much. More games for perpetual losers like Monte Vista and Freedom.

2 minutes ago, Pops said:

Have never seen such a ratings boost for a close loss

STA was preseason #4.

Right now they're #7.

A silly and false narrative.

And you have to stop with the W/L stuff. If any one of three plays goes slightly differently then STA wins that game. Does that fact change anything about either team? Of course not but somehow you'd be making a different argument.

That's why you're so silly and wrong all the time.

1 hour ago, Pops said:

OK -- I pointed out CP's whole history, because it's clearly NOT CA every year -- CA didn't win any of the first 6 years

You're opening up a large can of worms with this, but let me just say that IMHO, each and every time CP went w/ CA, it's very defensible

To narrow the discussion, if you'd like, pick a single year and I'll be your huckleberry

The 1st 6 years are meaningless, as thats when he didnt add starting rankings like he does now. He pumps them so high they cannot fall.

1 hour ago, Pops said:

OK -- I pointed out CP's whole history, because it's clearly NOT CA every year -- CA didn't win any of the first 6 years

You're opening up a large can of worms with this, but let me just say that IMHO, each and every time CP went w/ CA, it's very defensible

To narrow the discussion, if you'd like, pick a single year and I'll be your huckleberry

You think there has ever been a year that one state had 3 of the top 4 in the nation?  Good luck defending that one!  

55 minutes ago, 954gator said:

You think there has ever been a year that one state had 3 of the top 4 in the nation?  Good luck defending that one!  

Well, sure, it can happen when half the top 100 every year comes from 3 states

let me say this, I'm comfortable saying 3 of top 4 resumes came from CA last year -- or at least that that's a very defensible position

CA is absolutely enhanced in this regard by having their top teams play each other, especially vs FL whose top 6 teams can all miss each other

it is a rating system, which is different than "who's more likely to beat who at end of year"

i think DLS '09 was a top 5 national team using the latter but have no issue they finished in the 30's at CP because of trouble bled from their first five games

so, are we in disagreement on anything still?

1 hour ago, ECHS05 said:

The 1st 6 years are meaningless, as thats when he didnt add starting rankings like he does now. He pumps them so high they cannot fall.

GA has a team that lost by 19 at #6 ahead of undefeated Dematha, DeSoro, sjp, and case tech among others

Ned needs to adjust GA down

23 hours ago, dntn31 said:

MD and SJB are propped up by SOS. They have arguably the toughest league+playoff gauntlet to run and SJB had an amazing preleague slate of games giving them the highest SOS in the CalPreps era.

The three highest rated teams in Calpreps history are:

#1 2016 Bishop Gorman

#2 2013 St John Bosco

#3 2016 St John Bosco

Just now, Las Vegas_JC said:

The three highest rated teams in Calpreps history are:

#1 2016 Bishop Gorman

#2 2013 St John Bosco

#3 2016 St John Bosco

I think this reflects 2 things. Small tweaks to the algorithm over the years, and a reflection of the importance of SOS as a component of the algorithm. The more I look into it, the more likely I think it is that you can't really compare teams across years using CalPreps data. Despite this, 2016 BG can probably make the argument due to them having played probably the most grueling OOS schedule ever.

2016 SJB is clearly propped up by it's SOS which is the highest (SOS Value) in the CalPreps era. There's roughly a 0% chance that this 2016 SJB is the 3rd best team in the last 15 years.