Some California news

Ararar

5 hours ago, Exocet 98 said:

Mission Viejo at Corona Centennial for a "Shake Down Scrimmage" tonight.

Strange format, three teams, semi-contact.  MV looked good all around.  Lots of clever plays on offense, and a good screen game with multiple looks.  Defense looked solid and strong kicking game.  

Silverado has some big boys, runs a really weird offensive formation.   Their backs are pretty quick but they struggled passing.  Defensively I was a little surprised.  They played pretty sound defense. 

Centennial looked about the same as last year but D not as intimidating.  O line still looks unsettled.   QB’s and receivers remarkably still not on the same page.  Harris played sparingly, but is clearly the best passer.  

Foreman looks like he’s gonna put a hurt on a few people.   He gets in to the QB pretty quickly.  Special teams looked pretty bad except for Gary Bryant who has a remarkable ability to run to where the defenders aren’t.   They had position players kicking??? Nick Floyd had a couple good runs with multiple cuts.  Back up RB is a micro back, but runs pretty tough.  

Overall, the Huskies just didn’t look very sharp.  Next weeks game against MD could be pretty ugly.  Unless they improve quickly, they’ll have their hands full with OOL schedule.

12 hours ago, On2whls said:

Strange format, three teams, semi-contact.  MV looked good all around.  Lots of clever plays on offense, and a good screen game with multiple looks.  Defense looked solid and strong kicking game.  

Silverado has some big boys, runs a really weird offensive formation.   Their backs are pretty quick but they struggled passing.  Defensively I was a little surprised.  They played pretty sound defense. 

Centennial looked about the same as last year but D not as intimidating.  O line still looks unsettled.   QB’s and receivers remarkably still not on the same page.  Harris played sparingly, but is clearly the best passer.  

Foreman looks like he’s gonna put a hurt on a few people.   He gets in to the QB pretty quickly.  Special teams looked pretty bad except for Gary Bryant who has a remarkable ability to run to where the defenders aren’t.   They had position players kicking??? Nick Floyd had a couple good runs with multiple cuts.  Back up RB is a micro back, but runs pretty tough.  

Overall, the Huskies just didn’t look very sharp.  Next weeks game against MD could be pretty ugly.  Unless they improve quickly, they’ll have their hands full with OOL schedule.

Just because he has the best arm strength doesn’t mean he’s the best qb cuz I can tell you think he definitely doesn’t have a handle of how to run the offense. Still trying to do his own thing. 

1 minute ago, SoCalFball said:

Just because he has the best arm strength doesn’t mean he’s the best qb cuz I can tell you think he definitely doesn’t have a handle of how to run the offense. Still trying to do his own thing. 

Did I say best QB or best passer?

Sure, it will take some time for him to learn the system. I hope he sticks around and does learn it for next year’s sake.  

As for the projected starters,  I saw some things to be concerned with.  

Did you watch?  If so, what was your take?

41 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Hmmmmm interesting 

why didn’t he say something a long time ago? Especially since he claims all these things happened to him through the years.

I believe he was one of the teachers let go by the district when this investigation started 

• Like 1

From another board and a Mission Viejo perspective. Think this is more accurate. 

My Impressions,

MV D line is biggest across the front as I have ever seen, O line is also good sized 275-290, MV secondary is vacant...they have no one, CC was able to gash them with slants, outs, corner fades, jumps I thought Costelli got some reps early but only saw the freshman in who did pretty good. I did not find out why Costelli was not in I just thought it was rotation but never saw a series with Costelli. While CC was able to throw at will against MV for the most part, they were not able to run the ball. MV has Jaquez Robertson who carried the ball last year. 

At this point MV has 60 plays in the book and I felt like a lot of good things to build on but D backfield does not have the stars it has enjoyed in recent seasons. No lock down cover guys...

I talked to Logan for a bit and asked him a few questions, one, who their starting QB would be, he said, "that has not been determined yet" and if anybody was hurt/out and no names mentioned but maybe had couple guys out on defense. CC has a couple fast dudes Number one stood out, G. Bryant, WR/CB, kid impressed.

CC was executing well and looked to be in good form for this early with passing game but like I said they were not able to run the ball well on MV. 

MV will have Nenand and Anderson to throw to and good sized tight end Roelen, O line will be able to protect, but MV needs some dudes in the secondary, biggest weakness is the Diablo D backfield. Mascarenas was out all spring and summer but has been training and was cleared for last night. 

CJ thinking La Habra will be toughest game, upland and St. Mary's will be good opponents.

Hard to tell how good or bad teams are from a scrimmage and my take away would be the teams are pretty evenly matched. CC performed better on offense and out scored MV, they also had a better secondary, but MV did not have starting QB in. So likely to be one of those basketball type games where back and forth and who does not fail to score and has last possession.  

Greatest impression for an MV fan, was wow our lines are good sized this year, really impressive front 4, the second is where are the safeties and corners?...and we still have not seen new QB in a game...Hawaii next week for fun in the sun then Santa Margarita then La Habra, with VP, Saint Mary's and upland to finish pre-league play...if Diablos can find, make some cover guys they will be pretty good...if not just a top tier public...that's ok tho...should be a fun season...

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, bigrobstercraws said:

Wasn't he at St Mission Viejo in the spring?

Correct. Brayden Zermeno was at MV in the spring. Peter Costelli (Santa Margarita) also transferred to MV in the spring. 

Two different types of QBs. Coach chose his guy. Now, Zermeno is earning top QB reps at Loyola. 

He’s got the talent, and Loyola has some really nice weapons. 

Good opportunity to be the catalyst for the Cubs and his college career. 

1 hour ago, On2whls said:

The best way to see what is happening is to go watch.  Some of what he reported is accurate but  to say CC outscored MV is questionable.

I watched offense primarily and Cen10 offense was 7 of 9 in terms of TD/Series vs Mission Viejo. So if they played don’t think they would have trouble scoring lol

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ararar said:

Hmmmmm interesting 

why didn’t he say something a long time ago? Especially since he claims all these things happened to him through the years.

I believe he was one of the teachers let go by the district when this investigation started 

They will be on ESPN next week and it's a 5dimes game.   They are laying 8.5 to Buchanan currently.