Some California news

Ararar

1 hour ago, On2whls said:

SJB and MD didn’t change coaches to win the recent titles, they just improved their rosters.  Realistically that’s what you need to do.   SJB is in a couple year drought so they just added more dudes.  

Except DLS doesn’t operate in the same manner.If they don’t get the top 8th grader’s their shit outta luck and what top 8th grader wants to play in that offense?

40 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

From 2004 through Lads Last season of 2012 Coach Lad’s Record was 113-11-2 almost Identical to Alumbaugh’s Record of 105-12 which includes a 6 game COVID Season….

Was Lad a Bad Coach during those years?…. Did DLS need a Coaching Change?….. 🤣

Lad never had to Face SJB and MD the way they are now and if he did, he would have lost just like JA has because DLS does not have the Players to beat those teams….

DlS is just fine and they are doing what DLS does which is win games and develop kids who want to come play there for 3-4 years and be part of the DLS program….

Right now, that may not appeal to all the 3,4,5 star kids in Nor Cal like it did in the past….  With camps, 7 on 7 and Social Media and kid does not have to go to DLS to get noticed, so why commute, move your family or pay the tuition…..

DLS will never be MD or SJB, taking tons of transfers, Van pools, Boosters paying tuition, etc…. So they are what they are….

But for anyone to Say that DLS needs a New Coach is absolutely Ridiculous…. His record speaks for itself and the only 2 teams keeping him from winning a Open Championship don’t seem to be beatable by anyone in the Country except for Themselves…. 🤣🤣 

OC you’ve watched the games.They are sloppy which to me is a lack of attention to detail and when you run the veer the details matter.Lad won games every one thought they wouldn’t because the execution was on point.When I see teams making bone head mistakes it falls on the coaching 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

I don’t know if it the answer. It seems way to extreme at this point.

I still think Alambaugh deserves some time with this as “his program”. I mean Lad coaching freshman after stepping down, still wasn’t completely stepping away. Same with Edison still there. It was still part of the old regime.

Now I am in full agreement about the sloppy play and the preparation. But I think he needs a few years of that separation to let him put his own stamp on it. Then maybe  see what happens.

I will fully admit I dogged Lara after he took over for Jasso and in hindsight didn’t give him his just due. You know, I think LBP fans would clamor to go back to the Lara days.

Fair enough 

7 minutes ago, Ararar said:

Except DLS doesn’t operate in the same manner.If they don’t get the top 8th grader’s their shit outta luck and what top 8th grader wants to play in that offense?

Okay I get that. But, maybe they just need new OC, receiver and line coaches.  The head coach should just be weaving the coordinators efforts together.  Changing systems and getting the talent to execute the new system could make for a few downright ugly years. The fan base would have to have faith and stick with it.  
The same would likely be true even if a new head coach was brought in. 
And, it may not matter anyway.  The impact of the NIL thing remains to be seen. Who knows what kind of monster that could spurn?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, On2whls said:

SJB and MD didn’t change coaches to win the recent titles, they just improved their rosters.  Realistically that’s what you need to do.   SJB is in a couple year drought so they just added more dudes.  

But I don't think MD is running the same offense they were running in the '90s, either.

2 minutes ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

oh i see, ya because i read some youtube comments, that being the speculation he might become the new MD HC the day Rollo retires

I think a lot of people project their personal feelings when making suppositions.  To many MD supporters, the head coaching position at MD is the premier head coaching job in the country and think of course, anybody would jump at the chance.  Logan left MD to blaze his own trail, and along the way he built a great program that could compete with top level privates.  It’s kinda like putting together your own built car and then smoking some poser in a Ferrari.  The next MD coach needs to be someone with promise but without a legacy. 

On 8/28/2022 at 2:01 PM, Belly Bob said:

I'm not sure whether this is topnotch journalism. He tells us that CA did not have state championships between '29 and '06. Then, in the next sentence, he tells us that DLS has won 19 state championships over the last 40 seasons. That would mean that they won 19 in 17 seasons. 

Then: Bakersfield

The Drillers won six state championships in the 1920s and have won 37 section championships (California did not have state championships between 1929 and 2006).

Now: De La Salle (Concord)
The Spartans have been the most dynastic team in the nation over the past 40 seasons, winning seven national championships, 19 state championships and winning close to 90 percent of its games.

He’s counting the times pre-‘06 where dls was named CA team of the year by Cal-hi

btw, it’s 12 MNCs if you count any credible national source — I think 5 would only be counting USAT.  Not sure what rationale in between would be 

‘94

’96

’98 

‘99 

‘00

’01

’02

’03

’07

’10

’12

’14

Fwiw, I’m good with any team counting an MNCs if it’s a credible national source (not your hometown newspaper), even totally bogus ones like JC ‘12

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/29/2022 at 1:09 PM, Cal 14 said:

No state championships were awarded during this gap.  When Cal-Hi Sports came into existence, they produced rankings and a "State Team of the Year", but no state championship.  Of course, this didn't stop some schools from putting up banners claiming to be a state champ in football, but those were not real... not awarded by CIF.

Fwiw, DLS doesn’t recognize those anywhere on the facilities — as to MNCs, they recognize all of them on the website but  it all of them on a gym banner — that used to be only USAT and I think is expanded but something like 7 or 8 (not 5 or 12)

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 9:28 PM, HurricaneNick said:

& had nothing left to prove. Not trying to say he was out to prove anything, but accomplished everything you could at that level. Had to hang them up eventually.

I believe the rationale at the top of his list in timing was that Alumbaugj was ready, had earned it, and needed to get it or move on.  And, then, nothing else to prove…. Who retired young at 399 wins?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PopsNW said:

He’s counting the times pre-‘06 where dls was named CA team of the year by Cal-hi

btw, it’s 12 MNCs if you count any credible national source — I think 5 would only be counting USAT.  Not sure what rationale in between would be 

‘94

’96

’98 

‘99 

‘00

’01

’02

’03

’07

’10

’12

’14

Fwiw, I’m good with any team counting an MNCs if it’s a credible national source (not your hometown newspaper), even totally bogus ones like JC ‘12

I believe USA Today is the most valuable source or the most valuable award when it comes to a Natty, an MNC or National Championship at the HS level?

3 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

I believe USA Today is the most valuable source or the most valuable award when it comes to a Natty, an MNC or National Championship at the HS level?

It is certainly the most widely known and regarded (although maybe also the worst in terms of getting it right)

7 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

Then what would you say is the most valuable source or the correct source when being ranked number 1 in the Nation at the high school level for sports?

Interesting question -- you can focus on different words to come up with different answers -- "valuable" and "correct" would be 2 different answers IMHO with "valuable" being our friends at USAT, since that is by far the most broadly known and also longest-running.  I can't opine on "correct" -- first, I've hardly been paying attention since well pre-covid to the national hsfb scene to have a qualified opinion.  As much as I think it had a SE bias, I do think when Rivals put out a top 100, that it was really very good, particularly for a top 100 (I think that was only human poll, besides a couple of guys on here that only published on here, that went past top 25).  I was sort of known as computer advocate when I was more active, and I do think there product is usually very good by late in the year and outstanding at year-end.

Who's best at picking #1?  That's hard, but easier than it used to be because there is way more connectivity among top teams than there used to be.  I think the computer(s) usually gets it right or at least get a team that has a great arguement.  Humans can be much more easily influenced by the wrong thing, like an intersectional win in September against a good, not great team, and then coasting the rest of the way against teams outside the top 10,000 ought not to win you an MNC like it did for John Curtis in 2012.  I don't think JC was the best team in 2012 -- they might have been, but.... I'm just saying IMHO there ought to be sort a minimum threshold of proving it nowadays.  That didn't used to be the case because teams lacked much of the connectivity that can be found today.