Some California news

Ararar

10 hours ago, On2whls said:

I watched Cathedral play Serra Gardena a few years back at Cathedral.  I had no dog in the fight but even my wife and two daughters were laughing at the officiating.  It wasn’t until in the 4th quarter and CCSD had a large enough lead that they stopped flagging Serra and guess what, they put up a couple scores pretty easily and CCSD still had the first unit in.  It does happen. 

The Difference is the game way at Folsom and the Folsom fans are complaining about the Refs…. 🤣

11 hours ago, Extremely Humble said:

Yeah it was a dog fight. Both teams were pretty evenly matched. Contrasting styles.  It’ll get interesting if Serra loses to DLS and Folsom beats DLS. 

I truthfully don’t see DLS beating either Serra or Folsom…. Their Defense and Special Teams have fallen way off since TE retired….

The tackling looked suspect and Last night MT Blocked a PAT and Blocked a punt and returned it for a TD…. That kind of stuff never happened under TE…

Their QB is a good passer, but doesn’t look like he runs the veer well and they don’t have a pass blocking line…. The DLS Running back Greer is an absolute Stud, lightening fast….

We will see how they round out but both Folsom and Serra seem like more complete teams right now then DLS…

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, THEOC89 said:

I truthfully don’t see DLS beating either Serra or Folsom…. Their Defense and Special Teams have fallen way off since TE retired….

The tackling looked suspect and Last night MT Blocked a PAT and Blocked a punt and returned it for a TD…. That kind of stuff never happened under TE…

Their QB is a good passer, but doesn’t look like he runs the veer well and they don’t have a pass blocking line…. The DLS Running back Greer is an absolute Stud, lightening fast….

We will see how they round out but both Folsom and Serra seem like more complete teams right now then DLS…

I would take DLS over Folsom. DLS circled that one on their schedule for sure. They want payback. I love the way NorCal football is shaping up though for hopefully years to come. The top teams are all pretty close at the moment and they’re finally playing each other. NorCal is way more interesting that SoCal.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Extremely Humble said:

I would take DLS over Folsom. DLS circled that one on their schedule for sure. They want payback. I love the way NorCal football is shaping up though for hopefully years to come. The top teams are all pretty close at the moment and they’re finally playing each other. NorCal is way more interesting that SoCal.

I really don’t think DLS is  worried about Folsom or payback at this point. I would think they are way more concerned with their own program?

Sounds like they once again were sloppy against a decent, but nothing special MT team. This has been a theme for a years now under the Alambaugh era. Years ago that game would have ended like 63-13 and it would have been hammer down, not let the other team hang around.

I’m in full agreement with @THEOC89about the  defense and special teams. Maybe in the long run now that Edison and Lad are both gone it can legitimately be Alambaughs program and he won’t have to be in the shadow of those guys and he can start his own legacy? I think Kenion is then DC now? He’s still pretty young and has a way to go. But the next few years will be telling of the direction of the program.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, THEOC89 said:

[...]

I've noticed the same thing. The defense can't get off the field. There's not much in the way of adjustments. Special teams are sloppy.

And they're now a few years into this hybrid veer experiment, and it's just not working. Last night reminded me of last year's game against St Francis. When they realized they might lose, they stopped with the shifts and the shotgun formations and wooden air attack and started running the veer and scored at will. If the newfangled offense didn't work against Monterey Trail, it's not going to work against MD or SJB.  

I understand why they would want develop a passing game, and maybe it'll finally come along with this sophomore qb, but I think they're going to have to decide in the next year or two whether they want to continue to be a veer team or develop an entirely new offense. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Belly Bob said:

I've noticed the same thing. The defense can't get off the field. There's not much in the way of adjustments. Special teams are sloppy.

And they're now a few years into this hybrid veer experiment, and it's just not working. Last night reminded me of last year's game against St Francis. When they realized they might lose, they stopped with the shifts and the shotgun formations and wooden air attack and started running the veer and scored at will. If the newfangled offense didn't work against Monterey Trail, it's not going to work against MD or SJB.  

I understand why they would want develop a passing game, and maybe it'll finally come along with this sophomore qb, but I think they're going to have to decide in the next year or two whether they want to continue to be a veer team or develop an entirely new offense. 

Bullseye!!! 

3 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

New coach is what they need.The Glory days of yesteryear are over it’s time to move forward into the 21st century.DLS still means something to kids but the way they scheme doesn’t 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ararar said:

New coach is what they need.The Glory days of yesteryear are over it’s time to move forward into the 21st century.DLS still means something to kids but the way they scheme doesn’t 

Yeah I’m not sure if they need a new coach, need to overhaul their system or both? Alambugh was hand picked, but I have wondered if DLS has wanted to make a run at Patrick Walsh?

23 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Yeah I’m not sure if they need a new coach, need to overhaul their system or both? Alambugh was hand picked, but I have wondered if DLS has wanted to make a run at Patrick Walsh?

Pat Walsh is a Great Example…. He uses both the wing T and Spread, and mixes it up…. JA has done this, the problem is his QB’s have not executed it well…. He put together some great plays against STA a couple of years ago and The QB just kept missing everyone…..

I don’t think DLS needs a new Coach… This QB has a lot of potential, very good looking, accurate passer, it’s too bad he was hurt all year last year, he needs experience running the veer with the run game, that part looked sloppy…. 

But Also, Greer and McCoy sat out the first half for Disciplinary reasons…. Greer had 100 yards after he came in the game, that kid is special…. 

The defense is what worries me the most….

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Extremely Humble said:

How are DLS’ lines this year? Serra’s lines were big Samoan kids and their running back was a load as well. 

Their O-Line will be the strength of their team with 3 D1 level players…. Last night they were out of sync until the 4Th quarter when they took control of the game….

Defensive line is more a work in progress…. They are best when Thompson and powers play on the like together, but they are usually rotated on defense….

1 hour ago, Belly Bob said:

I think it’s got to be a new offense if they want to re-establish the ability to win at the highest level.  

4 hours ago, Extremely Humble said:

The problem with DLS is that they bunched their 4 toughest games all back to back, ending with Folsom . Serra , SF, CCSD, Folsom. DLS is not loaded by any means and depth is lacking . By the time they get to Folsom they could very well be out of gas . Why they schedule like they are the DLS as of old I don't know . This could be the beginning of the end of being top dog for 30 plus years in ncal

• Like 1

2 hours ago, On2whls said:

I think it’s got to be a new offense if they want to re-establish the ability to win at the highest level.  

They do not need a new offense.  They need the players so they can execute more of the plays they do have.  It's always about having the ability to execute the plays.  The last state title game vs MD was the most dynamic DLS offense I have ever seen.  They have the plays, just not the players needed to win at highest level.  IMHO  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

They do not need a new offense.  They need the players so they can execute more of the plays they do have.  It's always about having the ability to execute the plays.  The last state title game vs MD was the most dynamic DLS offense I have ever seen.  They have the plays, just not the players needed to win at highest level.  IMHO  

Maybe those types players don’t want to play in that offense 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Ararar said:

Maybe those types players don’t want to play in that offense 🤷🏽‍♂️

You hit the nail on the head!… The Best Players in the greater Bay Area and Even Sacramento no longer feel they have to go to DLS to get recruited by the top schools…. The Camps and 7 on 7 stuff did away with that….

Unless a kid really wants to go to DLS and be part of their program, they are not going to go just because they feel it’s “Their Best Option”….

Najee Harris is the best example of this and players like Raleek Brown from Stockton went to MD instead of DLS….

Imagine if DLS has those 2 players…. It’s just not happening anymore… 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, World Citizen said:

But isn't it hard to develop a passing game when the o-line practices drive blocking all day every day and the QB might get 10 passes a game if he's lucky?

Su'esu'e was 5 for 9 last night. And the two best drives, by my lights at least, were the back-to-back scoring drives in the 4th quarter, where I don't think they attempted a single pass. The offense looked good against MD, but I think that was an outlier. It feels like the new passing game has mostly interrupted the rhythm of the offense.

If they had a guy who could find the open receiver and hit him consistently, the scheme would probably look awesome. But how are they supposed to find that guy or develop him when they throw the ball 9 times per game? 

Last night, MD's and BG's QBs had 28 and 23 attempts, respectively.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Belly Bob said:

But isn't it hard to develop a passing game when the o-line practices drive blocking all day every day and the QB might get 10 passes a game if he's lucky?

Su'esu'e was 5 for 9 last night. And the two best drives, by my lights at least, were the back-to-back scoring drives in the 4th quarter, where I don't think they attempted a single pass. The offense looked good against MD, but I think that was an outlier. It feels like the new passing game has mostly interrupted the rhythm of the offense.

If they had a guy who could find the open receiver and hit him consistently, the scheme would probably look awesome. But how are they supposed to find that guy or develop him when they throw the ball 9 times per game? 

Very true. If you’re a top prospect QB or WR there’s not much appealing about playing in DLS’ current system. 

3 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Are you referring to Hale in 2019 vs SJB ?  That was a dynamic offense and were equally a passing team as much as a rushing team . They had the speed and a very good o-line that year . The offense we saw last night was like you said , like they were just starting to learn the offense . They have a mountain to climb, and quick

59 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Are you referring to Hale in 2019 vs SJB ?  That was a dynamic offense and were equally a passing team as much as a rushing team . They had the speed and a very good o-line that year . The offense we saw last night was like you said , like they were just starting to learn the offense . They have a mountain to climb, and quick

I think you are right.  I must have been thinking of SJB.  Good catch.

3 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

Apparently it is hard to do all those things you mentioned for DLS.  They do however have the plays in the playbook.  That was my point.  No new offense is needed.  

• Thanks 1