Some California news

Ararar

2 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

interesting article, greatest HS Football dynasties of all-time, for CA, its Bakersfield and DLS, for DLS its debateable, some sources say they have won 12 Natty's, this source says 7, another says 5:

Greatest high school football dynasties in all 50 states – then and now - MaxPreps

I'm not sure whether this is topnotch journalism. He tells us that CA did not have state championships between '29 and '06. Then, in the next sentence, he tells us that DLS has won 19 state championships over the last 40 seasons. That would mean that they won 19 in 17 seasons. 

Then: Bakersfield

The Drillers won six state championships in the 1920s and have won 37 section championships (California did not have state championships between 1929 and 2006).

Now: De La Salle (Concord)
The Spartans have been the most dynastic team in the nation over the past 40 seasons, winning seven national championships, 19 state championships and winning close to 90 percent of its games.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

I'm not sure whether this is topnotch journalism. He tells us that CA did not have state championships between '29 and '06. Then, in the next sentence, he tells us that DLS has won 19 state championships over the last 40 seasons. That would mean that they won 19 in 17 seasons. 

Then: Bakersfield

The Drillers won six state championships in the 1920s and have won 37 section championships (California did not have state championships between 1929 and 2006).

Now: De La Salle (Concord)
The Spartans have been the most dynastic team in the nation over the past 40 seasons, winning seven national championships, 19 state championships and winning close to 90 percent of its games.

He’s being unclear or he’s misinformed. There was no state championship game for all those years. That doesn’t mean state championships were not awarded, which as far as I know is what was happening. 

18 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

He’s being unclear or he’s misinformed. There was no state championship game for all those years. That doesn’t mean state championships were not awarded, which as far as I know is what was happening. 

No state championships were awarded during this gap.  When Cal-Hi Sports came into existence, they produced rankings and a "State Team of the Year", but no state championship.  Of course, this didn't stop some schools from putting up banners claiming to be a state champ in football, but those were not real... not awarded by CIF.

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2022 at 4:39 PM, Ararar said:

Maybe those types players don’t want to play in that offense 🤷🏽‍♂️

I definitely agree with this sentiment. But to me the difference isn’t necessarily the DLS offense. Albeit, it really seems much sloppier (more turnovers, penalties etc.) than past era.

But the defense has really taken a step back. Poor tackling, out of position etc.

Not a DLS homer or expert, but people talk about the veer, but during their dominant teams  the streak the offense was a byproduct of their defense and special teams.

Their defense was lights out. 2000 team (102 points) 2001 team (96 points) with LBP, MD and at the time a better St. Louis program. About 9 points a game is what they average giving up and no idea how many that was on back ups? They’re linebacking core and defensive backfield was light years better than any product they put out there the last several years. Even with what some considered antiquated veer offense, you match that with the defenses and players they had back then you could run a wing T and win 95% of your games because you’re probably gonna give up much more than a touchdown a game. Yes with that offense they won’t attract elite QB’s or DB’s, but if the other fascets of defense and special teams were closer to what they used to be that wouldn’t matter.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, On2whls said:

MD

SJB 

Cen10

MV

Serra San Mateo

DLS

Bishop Amat

OLU 

RSM

LBP

Bishop Amat and LB Poly are both looking pretty good.  I would also put San Mateo Serra over DLS at this point (this gets sorted out this week).

I think that if Folsom and DLS had 20 common opponents, the Bulldogs may end up with the more impressive sets of scored, but I think the Spartans feature more problems in a direct head-to-head comparison.  Folsom had all sorts of trouble stopping Serra's running game and really couldn't run themselves with any sort of consistency against the Padres.  Of course, that could end up saying more about Serra than Folsom.

Santa Margarita should be questioned after San Juan Hills got clobbered by Cypress and the Eagles only beat them by 10.

MD

SJB

Centennial

Mission Viejo

San Mateo Serra

De La Salle

LB Poly

Bishop Amat

Folsom

Orange Lutheran

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Cal 14 said:

No state championships were awarded during this gap.  When Cal-Hi Sports came into existence, they produced rankings and a "State Team of the Year", but no state championship.  Of course, this didn't stop some schools from putting up banners claiming to be a state champ in football, but those were not real... not awarded by CIF.

Thanks for clarifying. I should have said "not awarded by entities other than CIF." There weren't any teams ever named "Cal Worthington State Champions" or "Bullock's Best in the State" through the decades? 

35 minutes ago, Cal 14 said:

Santa Margarita should be questioned after San Juan Hills got clobbered by Cypress and the Eagles only beat them by 10.

It was as dominating of a 10-point victory as can be. The offense was horrible and out of rhythm... starting RB out with mono. Defense looked good, especially the African kid at DE. He's a monster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cossacks said:

I definitely agree with this sentiment. But to me the difference isn’t necessarily the DLS offense. Albeit, it really seems much sloppier (more turnovers, penalties etc.) than past era.

But the defense has really taken a step back. Poor tackling, out of position etc.

Not a DLS homer or expert, but people talk about the veer, but during their dominant teams  the streak the offense was a byproduct of their defense and special teams.

Their defense was lights out. 2000 team (102 points) 2001 team (96 points) with LBP, MD and at the time a better St. Louis program. About 9 points a game is what they average giving up and no idea how many that was on back ups? They’re linebacking core and defensive backfield was light years better than any product they put out there the last several years. Even with what some considered antiquated veer offense, you match that with the defenses and players they had back then you could run a wing T and win 95% of your games because you’re probably gonna give up much more than a touchdown a game. Yes with that offense they won’t attract elite QB’s or DB’s, but if the other fascist of defense and special teams were closer to what they used to be that would matter.

Yup,those teams execution was a thing of beauty and the main reason I think they need a new Head coach.The further they get away from Lad the sloppier DLS has become.It’s one thing to be out muscled by talent and another to just look sloppy 

28 minutes ago, Ararar said:

Yup,those teams execution was a thing of beauty and the main reason I think they need a new Head coach.The further they get away from Lad the sloppier DLS has become.It’s one thing to be out muscled by talent and another to just look sloppy 

So JA is like 105-12 as DLS’s Coach, But DLS needs a New Coach?….🤣

DLS will be fine… Their Freshman Class is very good with 2 Frosh Playing on Varsity and a several on JV… COVID and several longtime Assistant Coaches Retiring definitely set the program back a bit….

But it’s no different then 2004…. Last year DLS went 10-3 Beating Multiple Section Champs including the D1AA State champ by 4TD’s… Their 2 Nor Cal losses were by a combined 4 points and that was JA’s “Worst Season”….

Saying DLS needs a New Coach is pretty Rediculous…. 🤣🤣

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

Saying DLS needs a New Coach is pretty Rediculous…

It is if you don’t care if you ever win an open championship again.DLS has steadily gone down hill with Alumbaugh that isn’t even debatable.So much so that they would destroy the quality of teams they will face this year in the past.

if they want to be pretty good then by all means keep him.If they want to be great again he’s gotta go

1 hour ago, Ararar said:

It is if you don’t care if you ever win an open championship again.DLS has steadily gone down hill with Alumbaugh that isn’t even debatable.So much so that they would destroy the quality of teams they will face this year in the past.

if they want to be pretty good then by all means keep him.If they want to be great again he’s gotta go

ya i sometimes wonder why Bob Lad retired from DLS, its like, why bother retiring when your program is on auto-pilot when winning too much? i figure thats why Rollo from MD hasn't retired yet, and neither has Gary McKnight of MD Boys Basketball, Bob Lad was still winning plenty when he was still the HC.

4 hours ago, Ararar said:

It is if you don’t care if you ever win an open championship again.

SJB and MD didn’t change coaches to win the recent titles, they just improved their rosters.  Realistically that’s what you need to do.   SJB is in a couple year drought so they just added more dudes.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

ya i sometimes wonder why Bob Lad retired from DLS, its like, why bother retiring when your program is on auto-pilot when winning too much? i figure thats why Rollo from MD hasn't retired yet, and neither has Gary McKnight of MD Boys Basketball, Bob Lad was still winning plenty when he was still the HC.

Don’t forget the had a heart attack years ago. Lots of reasons why he decided to  retire. Health, family, hell just maybe tired.

4 hours ago, Ararar said:

From 2004 through Lads Last season of 2012 Coach Lad’s Record was 113-11-2 almost Identical to Alumbaugh’s Record of 105-12 which includes a 6 game COVID Season….

Was Lad a Bad Coach during those years?…. Did DLS need a Coaching Change?….. 🤣

Lad never had to Face SJB and MD the way they are now and if he did, he would have lost just like JA has because DLS does not have the Players to beat those teams….

DlS is just fine and they are doing what DLS does which is win games and develop kids who want to come play there for 3-4 years and be part of the DLS program….

Right now, that may not appeal to all the 3,4,5 star kids in Nor Cal like it did in the past….  With camps, 7 on 7 and Social Media and kid does not have to go to DLS to get noticed, so why commute, move your family or pay the tuition…..

DLS will never be MD or SJB, taking tons of transfers, Van pools, Boosters paying tuition, etc…. So they are what they are….

But for anyone to Say that DLS needs a New Coach is absolutely Ridiculous…. His record speaks for itself and the only 2 teams keeping him from winning a Open Championship don’t seem to be beatable by anyone in the Country except for Themselves…. 🤣🤣 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ararar said:

I don’t know if it the answer. It seems way to extreme at this point.

I still think Alambaugh deserves some time with this as “his program”. I mean Lad coaching freshman after stepping down, still wasn’t completely stepping away. Same with Edison still there. It was still part of the old regime.

Now I am in full agreement about the sloppy play and the preparation. But I think he needs a few years of that separation to let him put his own stamp on it. Then maybe  see what happens.

I will fully admit I dogged Lara after he took over for Jasso and in hindsight didn’t give him his just due. You know, I think LBP fans would clamor to go back to the Lara days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

& had nothing left to prove. Not trying to say he was out to prove anything, but accomplished everything you could at that level. Had to hang them up eventually.

Plus I heard he took up arm wrestling and has been working on his grip strength in his garage 😂.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

, Van pools

I think it’s interesting that they don’t have a transportation option. A bunch of private schools down here have a shuttle service for all students, not just athletes. Something like that could bring in good students and talented athletes that wouldn’t have been able to go to DLS due to transportation reasons. Hell, Oaks Christian is not very good at most sports, including football, and they send a bus over an hour away to the SGV 😂