MaxPreps top 50 all time best hsfb teams

golfaddict1

2 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

And given that this sort of thing is a hobbyhorse of yours, when did opinions become the sort of thing that we just dismiss?

Or maybe I'm missing your point. 

Probably missing my point.

If someone wants to pay attention to an opinion not rooted in much 1st person perspective or fair-to-deep knowledge, more power to them. My point was more of not understanding why some people get riled up, fired up or offended by these opinion rankings as if it's actually something official -- like the academy awards or something -- simply because it's posted on a well-known website rather than a lesser known message board by an anonymous author? The latter doesn't tend to get taken as seriously -- even though they are no different.

I see the same thing happen when Rolling Stone or Guitar World list their greatest vocalist, guitarist or band of all-time. It's like because it's in that reputable magazine, it somehow makes the opinion of the author(s) official or something. At least that's how the reactions of the readers come off to me; whereas my reaction, if I disagree, is to snort in derision and throw my arms in the air, exhausted by their constant tomfoolery. 😋

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

The No Nonsense poll is the go to poll! 🤣

I like your poll. Have no problems with how you do it. Because I know a lot of thought, research and some 1st person perspective goes into it. You have pretty good knowledge on said topic. Most of all, as I stated earlier, there's much better chance of you having fair-to-deep knowledge of all the teams you're ranking because they're all contemporary and of today.

I love the NFL. Been following it religiously, memorizing stats, history, etc.,  since I was 6 years old. My family is always in awe over the things I can recall with remarkable accuracy. But despite that, I never like to offer a 'greatest of all time' opinion piece because, among numerous other reasons, I didn't see some of the greatest players in history play a single down -- other than some limited highlights. So I always refrain from an 'all-time' list and instead opt for a 'greatest of my era' kinda thing. And even then it's difficult because the eras are so different. Football that I watched in the 70's is much different than the 90's and today. I just find it silly to speak in absolutes about players, teams, eras that I have little to no 1st person perspective about. I'll cite records, stats, accomplishments etc. if I know them well, but no more than that.

I mean, do I really know if Jerry Rice was greater than Jim Brown? Nope. But I can stand with confidence in saying that Jerry Rice was better than 99.99% of all the WR's I've seen the past 40 or so years.

Same logic applies to things like this Maxpreps article. The author is wasting the readers time because he doesn't have the frame of reference in which to make these judgements. Now if there's a 90-100 year old out there somewhere that jet-set all over the country to see all these teams, he'd certainly have my attention (and respect).

Well, Thunder, you seem like you’re well equipped to make an educated statement about NFL, college, or high school football teams. I was only being facetious about my own poll. I try my best, but it is what is, just an opinion poll. I only release it on this particular site because there are so many knowledgeable posters here that will put me in my place about all 15k teams out there. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

I was only being facetious about my own poll. I try my best, but it is what is, just an opinion poll. I only release it on this particular site because there are so many knowledgeable posters here that will put me in my place about all 15k teams out there. 

Oh, I totally get it. I just didn't want you to think I was impugning your poll. I think you do a great job. But I agree, as you restated, that it's really no different that from any other opinion poll -- other than yours isn't on a more well-know site.

It’s Maxpdeps for christ sakes! They will usually fuck up a few scores every weekend, so gotta value the source. These days with the tweeter and what not you almost have to work at getttig shit wrong.

Seriously how many on their panel saw those powerhouse teams of the 20’s-60’s running their four hoursemen offense.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Cossacks said:

It’s Maxpdeps for christ sakes! They will usually fuck up a few scores every weekend, so gotta value the source. These days with the tweeter and what not you almost have to work at getttig shit wrong.

[...]

We're 40-20 in the Expert Pick 'Em.

Maxpreps is 39-21.

I wonder what we'll have to say about our own guys if we lose. 

6 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

Probably missing my point.

If someone wants to pay attention to an opinion not rooted in much 1st person perspective or fair-to-deep knowledge, more power to them. My point was more of not understanding why some people get riled up, fired up or offended by these opinion rankings as if it's actually something official -- like the academy awards or something -- simply because it's posted on a well-known website rather than a lesser known message board by an anonymous author? The latter doesn't tend to get taken as seriously -- even though they are no different.

I see the same thing happen when Rolling Stone or Guitar World list their greatest vocalist, guitarist or band of all-time. It's like because it's in that reputable magazine, it somehow makes the opinion of the author(s) official or something. At least that's how the reactions of the readers come off to me; whereas my reaction, if I disagree, is to snort in derision and throw my arms in the air, exhausted by their constant tomfoolery. 😋

I was missing your point then.

I appreciate the post.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

I'm surprised Berwick is up there twice and NO CB West or Erie Prep.  Back in the 90's CB West was dominating with two separate win streaks of 50+ wins, four  straight titles, etc... Erie Prep same back in late 90's/early 2000s.

12 hours ago, DevilDog said:

This is a Bogus Poll for Texas.  This poll does not include any African American Teams prior to integration.  Yet mentions its affect on their rankings.  From 1948 - 1958 Dallas Washington and Austin Anderson were two of the most dominate football Teams in Texas even MLB HOF Ernie Banks played for Dallas Washington in football and in the late 60s bEast Texas Lufkin Dunbar was a beast.  It's like claiming the top 10 MLB baseball teams of all time and not including the 1929 K.C. Monarchs.  

I'm sure 1927 Waco and 1950 Abilene were great. #Norespect for PVIL 

Put the artillery down....

BGW

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

Brand name recognition likely helped.  

I would have loved to see the Valdosta 92 v Berwick 92 matchup that never happened, lol.  They had one common opponent with about the same outcome (I have the games on disc) and the on-field matchups would have been interesting.   

Berwick was ranked #1 in the nation off and on and Valdosta was #1 in the state and 2 in the nation.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sausmann9 said:

I would have loved to see the Valdosta 92 v Berwick 92 matchup that never happened, lol.  They had one common opponent with about the same outcome (I have the games on disc) and the on-field matchups would have been interesting.   

Berwick was ranked #1 in the nation off and on and Valdosta was #1 in the state and 2 in the nation.

Who would you have taken in that one had you needed to bet your house?

1 minute ago, 954gator said:

Who would you have taken in that one had you needed to bet your house?

Valdosta.  

I saw almost all Berwicks game that season (probably their top 5 games on the season) and then I was able to see two of Valdosta's games and got two more on disc from that season.  Their common opponent was Glenn Mills School ( all male reform school, tough ass kids but no discipline) and they both throttled them but in different manners.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sausmann9 said:

Valdosta.  

I saw almost all Berwicks game that season (probably their top 5 games on the season) and then I was able to see two of Valdosta's games and got two more on disc from that season.  Their common opponent was Glenn Mills School ( all male reform school, tough ass kids but no discipline) and they both throttled them but in different manners.

What was the difference between the 2

16 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Depends on the viewpoint. USAT doesn't matter one little iota to me. I know the poll is trash. It's why I never get it when you say it's the only poll that matters. Idgaf about that poll. 

To me, the crown jewel is the PrepNation poll. It seems to be the most on a level poll through the years. Not any real wtf's in there or whatever and a long running and respected in the right circles poll. 

I don't really care what other people that only read the USAT paper think. There is a good chance they are mostly all dumb asses anyway. There are a lot of those in the world today in case you didn't notice on your own. xD

As far as national stuff goes... If we are going by cool ass trophies, I like the MaxPreps Tour of Champions trophies. They look pretty cool to me. I'd like to see Colquitt with four or five more of those in the trophy case. Well, really even more but, hell, just shooting for the near future right now. 

Just like this list... It's a cool list of great teams, but, it's trash. The concept is trash too. Idc though. It's a cool list and makes you think about some of those teams from the past. 

Which human poll has colcuts rated the highest?  And the lowest?  Curious. 

1 minute ago, AztecPadre said:

Which human poll has colcuts rated the highest?  And the lowest?  Curious. 

Most of these polls got them 10-12   

I seriously dont  know how ...

they keep mentioning how good their strength of schedule  but all I’m seeing is thomasville Mcceachern trinity catholic Alcovy

i don’t know how

3 minutes ago, LiberalDonaldTrump said:

Most of these polls got them 10-12   

I seriously dont  know how ...

they keep mentioning how good their strength of schedule  but all I’m seeing is thomasville Mcceachern trinity catholic Alcovy

i don’t know how

Tell me how SPP is ranked when their schedule is about as bad as CQs... 

The 1 meaningful game they had they lost... 

They make a compelling argument on the #1 and the #2 team. I saw both play live and on tv and they were pretty special. But, I only seen a handful of all the other teams on the list so I'm no expert just like the guy who wrote the article. If it was me writing it I would've broke it down by eras. I think it would've have been more compelling. The problem I have with the list is there are multiple teams from the 20's that are ranked higher then say #47 2014 Allen. I'm sorry but you can't convince me that #11 1925 Pine Bluff  would be able to stop Kyle Murray and that Allen offense or that 1925 team would beat #48 2013 SJB  stopping Josh Rosen and trying to block 350lb AA. Damien Mama.  There's no way those players from the 1920's could match up with the current players esp. on the super teams that are now common. Here is a comparison of athletic achievements then and now. 100M record 1912 10.5 seconds. Current record 9.58 seconds, High Jump 1912  6'6", current record 8'. Bench press record 1916 364lbs raw.  Current bench press record 717lbs raw. Those are significant jumps. Athletes now are bigger, stronger, faster, and better coached. Not saying that teams back then didn't have a good head coach but many teams now have a dozen coaches including a strength coach and nutritionist and many have their own personal coaches during the off season. Players are better athletes and better prepared then yesteryear. 

Nevertheless, it is a nice compilation and fun to talk about.

• Like 1