Maxpreps Preseason Top 25

MC Rockets

On 7/22/2019 at 10:52 AM, GardenStateBaller said:

Great Top 10 regular season matchups. 1v2, 1v3, 1v5, 2v6, 2v9, 5v6, 5v7, 6v8. 

And 10v18 will be interesting. STA definitely more athletic but having to travel cross country to play in DLS back yard will help even it out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, noonereal said:

Are you really so stupid?

Let’s analyse this.

You make a dumb-ass assertion stating something happens “all the time.”

Any half way intelligent person would, even allowing for hyperbole, interpret that to mean at least 50% of the time, if not more.

I ask you to name, of the roughly 10,000 high school teams playing football each year, a mere three that went 0.500 in one year and “won it all” the next (your words).

Mind you, this includes the whole fucking history of high school football, not just last year.

The best you can come up with is to call me stupid.

What was it that threw you, the big word “three,” or asking you to actually back up your wild-ass claim?

I’m not surprised Sammy liked your post, as he gets thrown by two-syllable words such as “cogent.”

Two peas in a pod.

I apologize in advance to both of you if any of the words in this post confuse you.  Let me know and I’ll provide definitions.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/22/2019 at 10:39 AM, MC Rockets said:

A few surprises in placement. Let the games begin....

20190722_133423.jpg

1-10 looks pretty solid. I think 11-25 you could put 40 different teams there esp. rounding out the last 20-25.It's really all subjective. Will be interesting when the top 10 teams play each other and the team that loses how far they will drop. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wosinc said:

Let’s analyse this.

Any half way intelligent person would, even allowing for hyperbole, interpret that to mean at least 50% of the time, if not more.

I ask you to name, of the roughly 10,000 high school teams playing football each year, a mere three that went 0.500 in one year and “won it all” the next (your words).

Mind you, this includes the whole fucking history of high school football, not just last year.

What was it that threw you, the big word “three,” or asking you to actually back up your wild-ass claim?

I’m not surprised Sammy liked your post, as he gets thrown by two-syllable words such as “cogent.”

Two peas in a pod.

I apologize in advance to both of you if any of the words in this post confuse you.  Let me know and I’ll provide definitions.

I kinda agree with Nooner a bit, Marietta had ER level injuries and eligibility drama and the heavy weight of high expectations of a team that went south in the highest classification. 

So yeah you can throw out last year, however finding the “documentation” to supporting the argument the way you put it... deep ass mining ⛏....

BGW

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1DayPGA said:

1-10 looks pretty solid. I think 11-25 you could put 40 different teams there esp. rounding out the last 20-25.It's really all subjective. Will be interesting when the top 10 teams play each other and the team that loses how far they will drop. 

I don't think they should drop too much.  If any top 10 team played and lost to 2-3 of top 10 teams they would still be better than the rest of the teams that make up this list of top 25.  IMHO

There are some damn good teams and anything can happen of course.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, noonereal said:

Wrong.

The team was a very good team last year that played a very good schedule. They return all there top players. 

It is funny to see how many truly just don't "get" it. 

I can understand you being a newbie but some folks have been around a while, they should know better.  They should have learned something. 

I didn't claim they couldn't jump up and have a really good team and good season. I claim-and maintain- that they are not worthy of starting the next season in the top 25 in the country. They'd have to do something to support the notion that they are top 25 nationally. And, we shouldn't expect them to do that, coming off a 5-6 season where they were doubled up, 48-24, by Hillgrove and lost to a 4-win East Coweta (who most here have never heard of). Rest assured, one would easily be able to compile a very long list of teams that have a stronger argument for starting the season ranked #25 for these guys.

I do appreciate the "newbie" remark. Of course, I've been on these boards as long as anyone, Big Drop included. But, yeah, newbie!

• Thanks 1

The HS football rankings business is like a mini pop music business. It's a game where you have to get your music (team) on commercial, top 40 radio (OOS games against other known star teams) and then, once it's there, it stays for a very long time. And everything you release (every season) automatically gets airplay (a spot in the rankings) and every other artist (team) you collaborate with (play against) also gets exposure. So, Marietta getting blown out by Hillgrove and losing to East coweta gets obscured by the fact that they also lost to (collborated with) St. Johns and Good Counsel.

This is how Justin Beiber gets cred in the rap and hip hop world (or insert name of any other person that's famous for no good reason). And it's why teams who've done very little or nothing still get ranked highly.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, badrouter said:

The HS football rankings business is like a mini pop music business. It's a game where you have to get your music (team) on commercial, top 40 radio (OOS games against other known star teams) and then, once it's there, it stays for a very long time. And everything you release (every season) automatically gets airplay (a spot in the rankings) and every other artist (team) you collaborate with (play against) also gets exposure. So, Marietta getting blown out by Hillgrove and losing to East coweta gets obscured by the fact that they also lost to (collborated with) St. Johns and Good Counsel.

This is how Justin Beiber gets cred in the rap and hip hop world (or insert name of any other person that's famous for no good reason). And it's why teams who've done very little or nothing still get ranked highly.

I understand your frustration but be more direct and tell us who gets replace by who on that list. It's a better conversation starter.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, World Citizen said:

I don't think they should drop too much.  If any top 10 team played and lost to 2-3 of top 10 teams they would still be better than the rest of the teams that make up this list of top 25.  IMHO

There are some damn good teams and anything can happen of course.

Didn't JSerra finish ranked in some final nation Top 25 polls with 3 losses, (MD, SJB & Oaks)?

2 hours ago, badrouter said:

I didn't claim they couldn't jump up and have a really good team and good season. I claim-and maintain- that they are not worthy of starting the next season in the top 25 in the country. They'd have to do something to support the notion that they are top 25 nationally. And, we shouldn't expect them to do that, coming off a 5-6 season where they were doubled up, 48-24, by Hillgrove and lost to a 4-win East Coweta (who most here have never heard of). Rest assured, one would easily be able to compile a very long list of teams that have a stronger argument for starting the season ranked #25 for these guys.

I do appreciate the "newbie" remark. Of course, I've been on these boards as long as anyone, Big Drop included. But, yeah, newbie!

They haven't done shit, or proven shit. 

They proved last year that they didn't understand the transfer rules in the state while losing more games than they won. That's it. 

This year, they are magically top 25, ahead of teams that are perennially top teams in the state... and, Marietta is not and has not been a perennial top Georgia team. 

Having them top 25 is like going all in with your last 50 bucks on the hold em table with a bunch of sharps across the table from you. 

Clown rankings. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 3:25 PM, Columbiafan said:

So when Columbia beats IMG this year will we finally be ranked top 25 nationally or will there be some new made up excuse like the food they ate was cold or a seagull shit on their travel bus?

Shall we make this interesting?  Have they announced if y'all are going to play in a real game during the season?

• Thumbs Down 1

5 hours ago, Wosinc said:

Let’s analyse this.

Two peas in a pod.

Words in the post of a dumbass don't confuse me, they confuse the dumbass. 

Peace, peaches!

3 hours ago, badrouter said:

Ok Im calling bullshit... Who here HASNT heard of East Coweta?! I mean hello, those purple & gold uniforms are a thing of beauty.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

They proved last year that they didn't understand the transfer rules in the state while losing more games than they won. That's it. 

This year, they are magically top 25, ahead of teams that are perennially top teams in the state... and, Marietta is not and has not been a perennial top Georgia team. 

Having them top 25 is like going all in with your last 50 bucks on the hold em table with a bunch of sharps across the table from you. 

Clown rankings. 

Ok, we should be able to admit a few things here.

1. Top 25 is definitely a little much for them in the Preseason.

2. Marietta brings back a lot of Senior talent thats played together for years under the same coaching staff and that USUALLY means good things.

3. All that eligibility drama before last season couldnt have helped the team. They get those kids back this season, and they are good players.

4. Marietta has the potential to do big things. They just have to actually do it. They played well at times last year & hung with some solid teams, while getting some very good OOS game experience that can only help them this season.

5. Its really hard to say where theyll end up, BUT they have potential & its easy to see why some might like them.

6. Rocky Road Ice Cream is the best Ice Cream.

36 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Ok, we should be able to admit a few things here.

1. Top 25 is definitely a little much for them in the Preseason.

2. Marietta brings back a lot of Senior talent thats played together for years under the same coaching staff and that USUALLY means good things.

3. All that eligibility drama before last season couldnt have helped the team. They get those kids back this season, and they are good players.

4. Marietta has the potential to do big things. They just have to actually do it. They played well at times last year & hung with some solid teams, while getting some very good OOS game experience that can only help them this season.

5. Its really hard to say where theyll end up, BUT they have potential & its easy to see why some might like them.

6. Rocky Road Ice Cream is the best Ice Cream.

As a Georgia person that follows hsfb heavily in the state... Do you have Marietta your clear number 1 going into the season? 

I just don't. I can almost understand why someone would get roster happy and put them near the top, but, as a realist and someone watching pretty closely for a good while, historical evidence just overwhelms any knee jerk will to place them up top. 

9 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

As a Georgia person that follows hsfb heavily in the state... Do you have Marietta your clear number 1 going into the season? 

I just don't. I can almost understand why someone would get roster happy and put them near the top, but, as a realist and someone watching pretty closely for a good while, historical evidence just overwhelms any knee jerk will to place them up top. 

Packers are clear cut first 

Duhhh

C7789601-22F6-407A-882F-25034E142B3D.jpeg

1 minute ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Packers are clear cut first 

Duhhh

C7789601-22F6-407A-882F-25034E142B3D.jpeg

Idk about clear cut. Clearly the Max Preps experts would argue against the Packers. 

The season is long and a lot of stuff could happen, so I'm not a buyer on a team that loses a couple of kids to transfer rules last year and falls through the floor. 

If I had a "reputation" for ranking teams, well, I'd be going with a balanced approach of historical evidence, talent and coaching. Probably would lean on historical evidence as my wild card if I have any questions about who belongs.  Just my thoughts on ranking. 

Pretty much the thought processes that I'll go into the pick 'em with again too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Clown rankings. 

Most importantly, they have a staff that knows how to market the team. They're clearly all in on making a name on the national scene with all of these OOS games. I'm sure that staff goes out of their way to sell their team to everyone who will listen. 

• Like 1

A reasonable way to deal with a team like Marietta is to call them a sleeper; a team to watch. And then outline the reasons why they may surprise and be dramatically better. But they shouldn't actually be placed highly in the rankings until they've done something to warrant as much. This applies even if they end up undefeated, champions etc. They don't deserve to start the season that highly ranked. They can't prove me wrong, because my claim is in no way a prediction of how their season will go. 

• Like 3