Orange County Forums & Trinity League recruiting

Texasball

6 hours ago, LT4Spartan06 said:

Financial Aid is done through a double blind process at DLS and I am sure it is done the same way at many other Parochials across the country. When I attended, 02-06, more than half the student body was on some type of financial aid. No one at the school, not administrators and definitely not coaches have any say in who receives aid. Also, if you are granted financial aid it is not "free" money. Students on financial aid are required to complete extra school sanctioned community service hours and they had to work on campus at lunch whether that be the cafeteria, maintenance or in the library.

Before you call me naive, understand I am simply stating the facts as it pertains to financial aid at DLS. Whether you choose to move on or continue talking about something you don't understand is up to you.

That's funny..  DLS gives financial aid but it really doesn't mean anything.  DJ Williams would of never attended a Private School like DLS if there wasn't some financial aid package (Ie. Athletic Scholarship).   I'm also sure that DJ Williams community service was called.. "DLS Football service."

I'm glad you're a DLS Alum but you don't understand.  Those kids (Elite athletes) would never be walking through the front door of Private School "DLS" if they didn't get some type of Financial aid package.

I'm also not saying that DLS is as abusive with the system as other Private Schools around the country like Mater Dei, SJB, STA or Don Bosco Prep.

I have a nephew that played football at Don Bosco for 3 years...  He played on the DBP (NJ) team that had J. Peppers,  Wr-Carroo and few other elite athletes.   He told me the whole insight to how DBP works.   HELL, Carroo lived like 80 miles from Don Bosco and lived with another players family during the school week.   There was a DBP "Sugar Daddy" Alum that basically paid several of the kids (elite football players) school tuition each year.

LMAO....  I'm well aware of how it works with many of the so called Parochial Private Schools around the country with so called Elite Athletic Teams.

So I'll say it again....    Financial Aid =  Athletic Scholarship = Recruiting.

25 minutes ago, Texasfrog said:

That's funny..  DLS gives financial aid but it really doesn't mean anything.  DJ Williams would of never attended a Private School like DLS if there wasn't some financial aid package (Ie. Athletic Scholarship).   I'm also sure that DJ Williams community service was called.. "DLS Football service."

I'm glad you're a DLS Alum but you don't understand.  Those kids (Elite athletes) would never be walking through the front door of Private School "DLS" if they didn't get some type of Financial aid package.

You are not going to overlook the part where he said that half the student body was on financial aid are you?  And overlook the part about a double blind process too I guess.  Bringing up a player from 20 years ago doesn't really support the idea of recruiting and besides, how many DJ's have come through DLS since?  

I'm also not saying that DLS is as abusive with the system as other Private Schools around the country like Mater Dei, SJB, STA or Don Bosco Prep.

But you are saying that they are abusive, just not as much as others.  

I have a nephew that played football at Don Bosco for 3 years...  He played on the DBP (NJ) team that had J. Peppers,  Wr-Carroo and few other elite athletes.   He told me the whole insight to how DBP works.   HELL, Carroo lived like 80 miles from Don Bosco and lived with another players family during the school week.   There was a DBP "Sugar Daddy" Alum that basically paid several of the kids (elite football players) school tuition each year.

LMAO....  I'm well aware of how it works with many of the so called Parochial Private Schools around the country with so called Elite Athletic Teams.

So I'll say it again....    Financial Aid =  Athletic Scholarship = Recruiting.

Double Blind Process = 1/2 Student body = Education

There have been more really good football players that have left DLS than have come in and it's not even close.  I can only think of 1 kid who transferred in and played and he transferred out after a year.  

Lets pretend that nobody recruits and talk about the built in advantages the coach mentioned.

how big is the area and what is the population of that area that Individually MD or any other private gets players from?

No boundaries is major advantage in itself not to mention the financial aide.  I will assure the area if we pinned all MD players on map would be way bigger and the distances much farther than open enrollment school like Duncanville which I would be willing to bet that vast majority of the players all live within the district boundaries.

Dont look now here comes Desoto who is right next door and who is one of only 4 schools in DFW 6A’s to still be undefeated.  For those who thought DV was going raid Desoto of all their players - just don’t know that area!

11 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Lets pretend that nobody recruits and talk about the built in advantages the coach mentioned.

how big is the area and what is the population of that area that Individually MD or any other private gets players from?

No boundaries is major advantage in itself not to mention the financial aide.  I will assure the area if we pinned all MD players on map would be way bigger and the distances much farther than open enrollment school like Duncanville which I would be willing to bet that vast majority of the players all live within the district boundaries.

Dont look now here comes Desoto who is right next door and who is one of only 4 schools in DFW 6A’s to still be undefeated.  For those who thought DV was going raid Desoto of all their players - just don’t know that area!

How many teams in the country could be 6-0 with Desoto's schedule?

500?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, World Citizen said:

Double Blind Process = 1/2 Student body = Education

There have been more really good football players that have left DLS than have come in and it's not even close.  I can only think of 1 kid who transferred in and played and he transferred out after a year.  

Based on what we believe —-DLS has way more values and is not willing to be unethical in their ways to win football games.  They have some advantages like most private schools.  However, they are more about developing the players and character building of their team concepts vs gathering transfer all star type team in hopes they are voted Mythical national champs.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

How many teams in the country could be 6-0 with Desoto's schedule?

500?

Desoto is not at DV level yet...However, athlete wise they are much much closer than you know.  I would bet by year three of Mathis being back they will be capable of knocking them off.  Winning for either will be fine thin line.  Sit back and watch instead of trying to discuss something you know very little about.

we might see them match up in the playoffs this year if Desoto can get past few good teams this year. (SLC got them last year) Desoto is different animal under Mathis so nothing will shock me.

10 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Desoto is not at DV level yet...However, athlete wise they are much much closer than you know.  I would bet by year three of Mathis being back they will be capable of knocking them off.  Winning for either will be fine thin line.  Sit back and watch instead of trying to discuss something you know very little about.

we might see them match up in the playoffs this year if Desoto can get past few good teams this year. (SLC got them last year) Desoto is different animal under Mathis so nothing will shock me.

Of course,  they'll both suck up the talent and Cedar hill wil suck 

12 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Of course,  they'll both suck up the talent and Cedar hill wil suck 

Teams that suck do not play competitive games with both Allen and Denton Guyer.

Another team who is flying under the radar is Allen...Now that they have figured out the myriad of talent on the roster they will be tough out for the best.

Recruiting whether passive or active has been a part of hs football in every part of the country since the 50's. The subtleties will vary from region to region but the results are always the same... better athletes end up at a destination school whether they were aggressively recruited or the more subtle way through camps for 6th to 8th graders. As social media exerts more influence on our society, hs football has already started to cave to the money... just as most every other aspect of our way of life has done.

I speak as one who has as many "ass welts" from Rhodes Stadium as from the SA Bowl. Recruiting/Transferring or whatever one wants to describe it; is as prevalent in Tx. as in Ca. Its just more spread out as the Tx football culture concentrated throughout the state, is better and more defined than any other... period! 

While the MD situation is in your face and to many, repugnant ( as it was with me ),  Allen's, while appearing to be less aggressive,  is just as bad ( they recently snagged a couple of Gorman players ). To claim that the Tx transfer game is not as bad as in Ca is ridiculous. It's just done differently and a perusal on one or more of the 6A boards will show as many locals pissed off about Allen as those on the OC board are of MD.

In most states, public schools are just as prominent as the privates in securing players and outside of Ca, NJ and maybe a couple of others, the parity is well balanced yet transfers abound. Any school where football becomes a priority is going to seek out players. With many coaches now earning six figure salaries, ESPN ( along with a slew of other social media generated outlets where one now has to pay for streaming ), shoe sponsorships, along with a bevy of other revenue generating items such a major tv commercials like the one MD is in... the monetary gain will not be ignored.

MD and SJB has already figured out how to work the system as has SFA. Its only a matter of time ( especially since the new Ca law allowing pmt to college athletes ) where more schools will figure out that they need to replicate their model and will. Over time, many UIL member schools will move to do the same because in today's world the money will eventually trump the tradition.

3 hours ago, Texasball said:

Another team who is flying under the radar is Allen...Now that they have figured out the myriad of talent on the roster they will be tough out for the best.

Who played them close? If you're referring to Cedar Hill nobody is saying they suck now,  but if duncanville remains the way they are currently and  Desoto gets to that level,  Cedar hill will be Duncanville of before

Not anyone on Desoto's schedule

1 hour ago, steeler01 said:

Who played them close? If you're referring to Cedar Hill nobody is saying they suck now,  but if duncanville remains the way they are currently and  Desoto gets to that level,  Cedar hill will be Duncanville of before

Not anyone on Desoto's schedule

One minute you think their teams have an open season to transfers then the next you think they feed off of and limited to each other’s rosters. 

As has been stated before, that area is ripe to have all 3 competitive in their respective divisions: Desoto, Duncanville and chill.  Coaching and timing of the previous coaches departure had a lot to do with the slide or surge of the programs.

8 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

One minute you think their teams have an open season to transfers then the next you think they feed off of and limited to each other’s rosters. 

As has been stated before, that area is ripe to have all 3 competitive in their respective divisions: Desoto, Duncanville and chill.  Coaching and timing of the previous coaches departure had a lot to do with the slide or surge of the programs.

They get the transfers that are needed to fill positions(Top South Corridor teams.) 

Competitive and top of the food chain is very different.

Mathis and Samples are both coaches that attract the players. If DeSoto gets to Duncanville's level, it will mean that Chill will have no talent because it will be at DeSoto and Duncanville. Kind of like when DeSoto and Chill were at the top of Texas and Duncanville was a cellar dweller.

6 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

They get the transfers that are needed to fill positions(Top South Corridor teams.) 

Competitive and top of the food chain is very different.

Mathis and Samples are both coaches that attract the players. If DeSoto gets to Duncanville's level, it will mean that Chill will have no talent because it will be at DeSoto and Duncanville. Kind of like when DeSoto and Chill were at the top of Texas and Duncanville was a cellar dweller.

That’s not how it works as the talent isn’t confined to just local kids. We just had a discussion that DV gets some of their talent to open enrollment.  Desoto the same. You do understand how big the DFW area is right? 

You’ve pointed out a coincidence but not a cause and effect with the ebb and flow of talent between the 3 schools. (When Joey McGuire left Chill kids left the program but several went to the private’s: TC cedar hill, bishop dunne and lynch) 

Duncanville stunk before b/c their coach was not good for that program. 

23 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

That’s not how it works as the talent isn’t confined to just local kids. We just had a discussion that DV gets some of their talent to open enrollment.  Desoto the same. You do understand how big the DFW area is right?

I never said it was confined. 

Some of its talent is the key. There's not enough for all 3 to stay at the top. You're under the assumption that the entire DFW / South corridor is spliting up its talent to just these 3 evenly

I believe most of the open enrollment kids are just in the south corridor but not in the schools zone

Just now, steeler01 said:

I never said it was confined. 

Some of its talent is the key. There's not enough for all 3 to stay at the top. You're under the assumption that the entire DFW is going to split up its talent to just these 3. 

I believe most of the open enrollment kids are just in the south corridor but not in the schools zone

I never said the entire DFW will split just between those 3.  

Chill is not even the 3d most talented school in that area, Lancaster is.  There’s lots of kids to pull from including Dallas itself.  

Key open enrollment kids come from far away as mesquite. 

I told you before, duncanville’s talent comes from 3 areas: local, open and a few key transfers.  Desoto is structured the same way.  

For me talent is not the issue in who rises or not, it’s squarely on coaching.  

10 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

I never said the entire DFW will split just between those 3.  

Chill is not even the 3d most talented school in that area, Lancaster is.  There’s lots of kids to pull from including Dallas itself.  

Key open enrollment kids come from far away as mesquite. 

I told you before, duncanville’s talent comes from 3 areas: local, open and a few key transfers.  Desoto is structured the same way.  

For me talent is not the issue in who rises or not, it’s squarely on coaching.  

Yes,  but do you understand how hard it is to get 3 teams who are competing for the same kids to get to the level we're talking about?

Putting out a team that can beat anyone and putting out a team that will give you a good game are two different things

6 hours ago, Texasball said:

Desoto is not at DV level yet...However, athlete wise they are much much closer than you know.

One of my favorite features of the Texas fanboy is the constant claims of "much closer than you know" or "much better than you know."

Somehow everything in Texas is better, closer, bigger, stronger than you know!

Even obvious things like Duncanville not being in the same tier as Mater Dei or Atascocita sucking.

They still try to sell it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

6 hours ago, Texasball said:

Another serious flaw in Texan logic.

They also ASSume that if a team plays close with [insert teams] then by definition they don't suck. But they never, ever come to the conclusion (which could be more accurate) that [insert teams] might not be as good as they think.

It's always praise for the close loss instead of condemnation for the close win.

• Thumbs Down 1