#563 Monterey Trail 35 - Folsom 23 (F)

dntn31

I watched the game tonight. It was as close a textbook example of controlling the clock as you’re ever likely to see in a HS game. According to the AccessSacramento announcing team, the Mustangs possessed the ball for 36 of the 48 minute game. Absolutely incredible!

Folsom’s defense could not stop them. MT completely controlled the line and moved the ball nearly at will, churning out 1st down after 1st down.

MT set the tone of the 2nd half by possessing the ball for 11+ minutes on their first possession then capping it with a TD. The game was still in doubt until about 2 minutes to go when MT capped another long, time consuming drive with a gut shot TD pass on 3rd and 15. Antonio Williams made a highlight catch just before going out of bounds. 

Honestly, Folsom had been dodging bullets this season. They easily could have — and arguably should have — lost to Oak Ridge earlier this season (and Edison-Stockton last week). Perhaps not so oddly, that’s exactly who MT will play next in the section final. Should be a good one.

BTW, for those outside of NorCal that likely don’t know, MT runs the veer offense a la you know who. Their HC, TJ Ewing, is the only HC the program has ever had since its inception in 2004. They’ve been running the offense for many, many years.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, ThunderRam said:

I watched the game tonight. It was as close a textbook example of controlling the clock as you’re ever likely to see in a HS game. According to the AccessSacramento announcing team, the Mustangs possessed the ball for 36 of the 48 minute game. Absolutely incredible!

Folsom’s defense could not stop them. MT completely controlled the line and moved the ball nearly at will, churning out 1st down after 1st down.

MT set the tone of the 2nd half by possessing the ball for 11+ minutes on their first possession then capping it with a TD. The game was still in doubt until about 2 minutes to go when MT capped another long, time consuming drive with a gut shot TD pass on 3rd and 15. Antonio Williams made a highlight catch just before going out of bounds. 

Honestly, Folsom has been dodging bullets this season. They easily could have — and arguably should have — lost to Oak Ridge earlier this season. Perhaps not so oddly, that’s exactly who MT will play next in the section final. Should be a good one.

BTW, for those outside of NorCal that likely don’t know, MT runs the veer offense a la you know who. Their HC, TJ Ewing, is the only HC the program has ever had since its inception in 2004. They’ve been running the offense for many, many years.

Stability at the HC level in HS ball is a key component to a programs success.  Folsom had nowhere to go but down when Richardson left.  Its just the way things usually go. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Stability at the HC level in HS ball is a key component to a programs success.  Folsom had nowhere to go but down when Richardson left.  Its just the way things usually go. 

That’s what I felt would be the case, but thought we might not see the full effect til next season when Folsom loses their 2 other offensive superstars. The new coach Doherty inherited a lot of talent.

Gotta also say that my wife and I were laughing several times during the game because it seemed like the announcing crew called out about a half dozen transfers on Folsom’s all- star roster (which is always a hot topic on the NorCal website).

One play it was “the former player from Cosumnes Oaks” then the next play it was “the former player from Oak Ridge who moved down the hill” then it was “the former player from Del Oro”. And that’s not counting the players they already had from Sheldon, Nevada, and Washington!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ThunderRam said:

That’s what I felt would be the case, but thought we might not see the full effect til next season when Folsom loses their 2 other offensive superstars. The new coach Doherty inherited a lot of talent.

Gotta also say that my wife and I were laughing several times during the game because it seemed like the announcing crew called out about a half dozen transfers on Folsom’s all- star roster (which is always a hot topic on NorCal website).

One play it was “the former player from Cosumnes Oaks” then the next play it was “the former player from Oak Ridge who moved down the hill” then it was “the former player from Del Oro”. And that’s not counting the players they already had from Sheldon, Nevada, and Washington!

Fake News!  Monterrey Trail is the transferred up juggernaut.

#not winning😆

• Haha 4