Birth of the Super teams

Sammyswordsman

One can arguably trace the genesis of the Super teams back to the 2014 Bishop Gorman Gaels.

Coming off solid seasons in 2012, and 2013,  knowledgeable observers noted key losses to graduation, and expected the Bishop to be in rebuilding mode.   In week 2 the Gaels traveled to  So. Cal to face a talented Servite team, that felt the Travis Waller to Equanamious St. Brown combo, would prove lethal to a rebuilt Gael secondary.

The Gorman team that actually showed up that night was anything but in a rebuilding mode.  Key transfers from multiple states had filled every position left open by graduation, and the replacements were more talented than the prior years troops.  Such was the array of talent on the field, that it became obvious to even the most casual observer that The Bishop had no weakness.

Thus began the arms race.  As other programs struggled to compete doing business as usual with their home grown rosters, or private schools with their normal feeder parishes and a sprinkle of outside  top Pop Warner/Jr. All American guys enrolling as freshmen, the Gaels used their Super team head start to reel off (3) consecutive undefeated seasons.

In 2017 the chickens came home to roost for The Bishop, as the Mater Dei Monarchs, drawing from Top Jr./Senior transfer talent from a much larger population base, trounced the Gaels en route to the most dominating season in recent memory.

Some may argue that the 2013 SJB squad was a super team, but this was due more to coincidences on multiple levels, rather than a conscious effort to farm Top upper class football talent to fill gaps in the line up.

Next on the scene was IMG and openly recruiting nationally, and bankrolling a National schedule while assembling an impressive winning streak leaving carnage in multiple states including Texas.

Most recently at SFA, an ambitious coach/benefactor has used similar incentives to pull from a large metro base in the mid Atlantic region to terrorize established winning programs up and down the east coast, with NFL ready specimens.

From 2019 to the forseeable future these Super teams will be forced to play National schedules, in order to fill their 10 week slates.  Creating a Top Tier division that one day may possibly result in a National playoff.

• Like 2

"Super teams" can be traced back to basketball. To a small degree, the 1992 Dream Team was an early glimpse at this. But, Lebron James and Chris Bosh joining Dewayne Wade with the Miami Heat a decade ago was the first real sea change. Many hated Lebron for the move, but many also took note of what could be if they joined forces with other stars. To this day, we still hear countless unoriginal kids going on TV to announce that they are "taking their talents to ___". Shortly thereafter, John Calipari started signing mega classes for Kentucky several years in a row, with much success. By the mid-2010s, joining up to build super teams was in vogue.

Naturally, the high school teams in all sports were doing this sort of thing all the time, too. I don't follow high school basketball, but I'm sure many here can point to numerous super teams in that sport. In prep football, some credit (or blame, lol) has to go to St. Thomas Aquinas. They really started to load up on talent during and after their three straight seasons of losing to Lakeland in the state finals. Their 2005 team was pretty loaded, and then from there on they kept on turning out really stacked teams which won a lot of high profile, TV games versus teams from around the country. They were at it a little before Bishop Gorman got it rolling. We also have seen a lot of this with Dade county schools. (Which reminds me that the 2006-07 Bulls were also pretty loaded.) Now, of course, it is completely widespread, to the point that even high and mighty Texas is starting to lose control of things.

Right now, there is a strong sense among athletes that the public, and many coaches, do not care about them. That everyone is out for themselves. Players want to "get that bag". So, might as well move around to whatever program floats their boat if it can bring them more glory or money. This is somewhat understandable, but likely not sustainable. As the public becomes increasingly aware that the players don't care about them or their team, only themselves, interest figures to wain. As interest wains, revenue decreases. Eventually, interest will have dropped to a point that there's not much money to be made for anyone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

"Super teams" can be traced back to basketball. To a small degree, the 1992 Dream Team was an early glimpse at this. But, Lebron James and Chris Bosh joining Dewayne Wade with the Miami Heat a decade ago was the first real sea change. Many hated Lebron for the move, but many also took note of what could be if they joined forces with other stars. To this day, we still hear countless unoriginal kids going on TV to announce that they are "taking their talents to ___". Shortly thereafter, John Calipari started signing mega classes for Kentucky several years in a row, with much success. By the mid-2010s, joining up to build super teams was in vogue.

Naturally, the high school teams in all sports were doing this sort of thing all the time, too. I don't follow high school basketball, but I'm sure many here can point to numerous super teams in that sport. In prep football, some credit (or blame, lol) has to go to St. Thomas Aquinas. They really started to load up on talent during and after their three straight seasons of losing to Lakeland in the state finals. Their 2005 team was pretty loaded, and then from there on they kept on turning out really stacked teams which won a lot of high profile, TV games versus teams from around the country. They were at it a little before Bishop Gorman got it rolling. We also have seen a lot of this with Dade county schools. (Which reminds me that the 2006-07 Bulls were also pretty loaded.) Now, of course, it is completely widespread, to the point that even high and mighty Texas is starting to lose control of things.

Right now, there is a strong sense among athletes that the public, and many coaches, do not care about them. That everyone is out for themselves. Players want to "get that bag". So, might as well move around to whatever program floats their boat if it can bring them more glory or money. This is somewhat understandable, but likely not sustainable. As the public becomes increasingly aware that the players don't care about them or their team, only themselves, interest figures to wain. As interest wains, revenue decreases. Eventually, interest will have dropped to a point that there's not much money to be made for anyone.

Oak Hill (VA) in HS hoops started the super recruited up teams back in the late 80's.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, badrouter said:

The first Super team which became Super via trades, etc., was the La Lakers when they traded for Wilt to join superstars West and Baylor  in the 68-69 season .With 3 of the greatest players of their era, even then, they still couldn't beat the Celtics when they got to the finals.

• Like 1

Nope, it all started with Bill Russell and the Celtics... eleventy bajillion titles in 12 years. Even well before that Fred Flintstone and Betty gave birth to a couple of ringers teamed up with Barney and Wilma Rubble and their son Bam Bam.. well the rest is history....

Cain and Abel were a good team until "that' disagreement over vegetables and meat.

BGW

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

One can arguably trace the genesis of the Super teams back to the 2014 Bishop Gorman Gaels.

Coming off solid seasons in 2012, and 2013,  knowledgeable observers noted key losses to graduation, and expected the Bishop to be in rebuilding mode.   In week 2 the Gaels traveled to  So. Cal to face a talented Servite team, that felt the Travis Waller to Equanamious St. Brown combo, would prove lethal to a rebuilt Gael secondary.

The Gorman team that actually showed up that night was anything but in a rebuilding mode.  Key transfers from multiple states had filled every position left open by graduation, and the replacements were more talented than the prior years troops.  Such was the array of talent on the field, that it became obvious to even the most casual observer that The Bishop had no weakness.

Thus began the arms race.  As other programs struggled to compete doing business as usual with their home grown rosters, or private schools with their normal feeder parishes and a sprinkle of outside  top Pop Warner/Jr. All American guys enrolling as freshmen, the Gaels used their Super team head start to reel off (3) consecutive undefeated seasons.

In 2017 the chickens came home to roost for The Bishop, as the Mater Dei Monarchs, drawing from Top Jr./Senior transfer talent from a much larger population base, trounced the Gaels en route to the most dominating season in recent memory.

Some may argue that the 2013 SJB squad was a super team, but this was due more to coincidences on multiple levels, rather than a conscious effort to farm Top upper class football talent to fill gaps in the line up.

Next on the scene was IMG and openly recruiting nationally, and bankrolling a National schedule while assembling an impressive winning streak leaving carnage in multiple states including Texas.

Most recently at SFA, an ambitious coach/benefactor has used similar incentives to pull from a large metro base in the mid Atlantic region to terrorize established winning programs up and down the east coast, with NFL ready specimens.

From 2019 to the forseeable future these Super teams will be forced to play National schedules, in order to fill their 10 week slates.  Creating a Top Tier division that one day may possibly result in a National playoff.

Alright!

Give me the keys, no more driving for you mister.

You’re obviously under the influence to misspell California like that.

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Ga96 said:

Yankees Lakers and Celtic's started it all in my opinion buying up most of the talent in their leagues and stacking up championships. 

Yankees for sure bought multiple flags.  Lakers, meh, not sure.

But the Celtics did it with shrewd drafting and teamwork.  Not by buying talent.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 12:33 PM, Sammyswordsman said:

As long as Samuel is around trying to obfuscate the masses I’ll be here to clear things up. 

The score of that 2017 game was 14-7 at the half. And 28-21 with about 7:00 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Your cali OIAG struggled to beat a severely depleted Gorman team. 

Also it’s not a good look when MD failed to schedule Gorman from 2010-2016 when the Gaels were calling for a series. 

Anyway I hope that you and your family are safe Samuel. 

71BE1388-FE67-42F7-8134-1EA528E89726.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

As long as Samuel is around trying to obfuscate the masses I’ll be here to clear things up. 

The score of that 2017 game was 14-7 at the half. And 28-21 with about 7:00 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Your cali OIAG struggled to beat a severely depleted Gorman team. 

Also it’s not a good look when MD failed to schedule Gorman from 2010-2016 when the Gaels were calling for a series. 

Anyway I hope that you and your family are safe Samuel. 

71BE1388-FE67-42F7-8134-1EA528E89726.png

You got beat up both times you played MD. DTR was crawling on the field & you were down two scores playing catch up most of the game the first time around. We shouldn’t even speak about the second game man you guys haven’t been right since the Monarchs paid BG a visit. I’m sorry MD snapped your streak and then gave you the most embarrassing loss in school history the next year. Well, maybe not the most embarrassing loss in school history we should give the mighty Liberty Patriots their credit. How about the most embarrassing home game shut out on national television? 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

You got beat up both times you played MD. DTR was crawling on the field & you were down two scores playing catch up most of the game the first time around. We shouldn’t even speak about the second game man you guys haven’t been right since the Monarchs paid BG a visit. I’m sorry MD snapped your streak and then gave you the most embarrassing loss in school history the next year. Well, maybe not the most embarrassing loss in school history we should give the mighty Liberty Patriots their credit. How about the most embarrassing home game shut out on national television? 

If a public school from Nevada and Texas could beat Bishop Gorman, what was the reason again why California couldn’t?

2 hours ago, Wosinc said:

Yankees for sure bought multiple flags.  Lakers, meh, not sure.

But the Celtics did it with shrewd drafting and teamwork.  Not by buying talent.

Not entirely his fault

They don't have good basketball over at lowndes so many there don't really know anything when it comes to the game of hoops

And I agree, the Celtics teams back then weren't super teams, they were just the best organization in that era and knew how to develop their talent and were well coached and as mentioned above by @CaliNorth even when the Lakers went ahead and had 3 of the best players during that era they still struggled when having to face a strong Celtics team

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Not entirely his fault

They don't have good basketball over at lowndes so many there don't really know anything when it comes to the game of hoops

And I agree, the Celtics teams back then weren't super teams, they were just the best organization in that era and knew how to develop their talent and were well coached and as mentioned above by @CaliNorth even when the Lakers went ahead and had 3 of the best players during that era they still struggled when having to face a strong Celtics team

Somehow we have back to back national championship teams. You gotta be about 19 kid.

Here is a short snippet of the lists I’m creating for the OOS matchups against other states best programs. I’m only doing California, Florida and Texas for now...

I’m planning to create a point system for this so we can all compare our states and have something a little more interesting to talk about. If you all like the concept, feel free to create one for your respective states.

The ranking for the team was their rank at the conclusion of the season within Maxpreps.

If the team is listed more than once, that of course means multiple teams from your state played them.

I may be asking for a little assistance with California on account of the amount of top teams you all consistently play against.

Please and Thank you.

National Champion:🏆

#1 State ranked: 

State Champion:🥇 

Runner-up:🥈

Semifinalist:🥉 

CALIFORNIA:

#1 - Bishop Gorman (16-0)🥇 🏆 2016

#2 - Bishop Gorman (15-0) 🥇 🏆 2014

#2 - Bishop Gorman (15-0)🥇  🏆 2014

#2 - IMG Academy (8-0)  2017

#3 - St. Francis Academy (11-1)  2019

#3 - IMG Academy (7-1)   2018 

#4 - IMG Academy (11-0)   2016

#5 - S.T. Aquinas (15-0)🥇  2019

#5 - St. Louis (11-0)🥇  2017

#6 - St. Louis (11-0)🥇  2018

#7 - Bishop Gorman (15-0)🥇  🏆 2015

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SeaShells21 said:

Here is a short snippet of the lists I’m creating for the OOS matchups against other states best programs. I’m only doing California, Florida and Texas for now...

I’m planning to create a point system for this so we can all compare our states and have something a little more interesting to talk about. If you all like the concept, feel free to create one for your respective states.

The ranking for the team was their rank at the conclusion of the season within Maxpreps.

If the team is listed more than once, that of course means multiple teams from your state played them.

I may be asking for a little assistance with California on account of the amount of top teams you all consistently play against.

Please and Thank you.

National Champion:🏆

#1 State ranked: 

State Champion:🥇 

Runner-up:🥈

Semifinalist:🥉 

CALIFORNIA:

#3 - IMG Academy (7-1)   2018 

#5 - S.T. Aquinas (15-0)🥇  2019

#5 - St. Louis (11-0)🥇  2017

#6 - St. Louis (11-0)🥇  2018

Bergen Catholic 2017 NJ State champ 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

@Las Vegas_JC does have a point tho. It seems as if MD wanted no parts of BG during their glory days. You can't go beating on your chest because you beat BG once they lost their most successful class. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 4/2/2020 at 9:18 PM, HurricaneNick said:

Bergen Catholic 2017 NJ State champ 

California 

#3 - IMG Academy (7-1)  2018 

#4 - IMG Academy (11-0)  2016

#5 - S.T. Aquinas (15-0)🥇 2019

#5 - St. Louis (11-0)🥇 2017

#6 - St. Louis (11-0)🥇 2018

#7 - Bishop Gorman (15-0)🥇 🏆 2015

{I’m only going to keep the top ten shown until the lists are conplete}

Thank you, I believe I’ve only gone back to 2014 with California.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

I don't like the Red Sox but I will say the Yankees are the biggest cheats in history... 

In terms of using their massive wealth to simply buy players from poorer teams (talking to you, St. Louis Browns), you’re absolutely right.

I don’t believe the play on the field involved cheating per se, they were just head and shoulders above any other team of their era, talentwise.

6 hours ago, SeaShells21 said:

California 

#2 - Bishop Gorman (15-0)🥇 🏆 2014

#2 - Bishop Gorman (15-0)🥇 🏆 2014

#3 - IMG Academy (7-1)  2018 

#5 - S.T. Aquinas (15-0)🥇 2019

#5 - St. Louis (11-0)🥇 2017

#6 - St. Louis (11-0)🥇 2018

#11 - Lady O.G.C. (9-3)🥇2019

#12 - Chandler (13-2)🥇2016

#13 - St. Joseph’s Prep (14-0)🥇 2016

#13 - Bishop Gorman (13-2)🥇 2017

#13 - Bishop Gorman (13-2)🥇 2017

#15 - St Xavier (10-5)🥇 2016

#18 - Chandler (13-0)🥇 2019

#19 - Bergen Catholic (10-2)🥇 2017

#21 - Chandler (13-1)🥇 2018

#23 - East (14-0)🥇 2016

#27 - Centennial (12-2)🥇 2015

#35 - Punahou (11-2) 2019

#38 - Euless Trinity (10-1) 2015

#37 - Saguaro (14-0)🥇2016

#40 - DeMatha (7-4)🥉2019

#41 - St Joseph’s Regional (9-2)🥇2016

#42 - St. John’s College (9-2)🥇2017

#42 - St. John’s College (9-2)🥇2017

#50 - St. John’s College (7-5)🥈2019

#56 - Colquitt County (11-4)🥈2017

#57 - Aledo (16-0)🥇2016

#62 - Mountain Pointe (13-1)🥉2016

#62 - Aledo (14-1)🥇2014

#83 - Liberty (12-2)🥈2016

#88 - Mountain Pointe (12-1)🥉2015

#93 - Bishop Gorman (11-3)🥇 2018

#93 - Bishop Gorman (11-3)🥇 2018

#95 - Don Bosco Prep (7-5)🥈2019

#113 - Mililani (8-5)🥉2019

#116 - Saguaro (11-2)🥈2019

#122 - St. Joseph Regional (7-4)🥉2019

#136 - Orem (12-2)🥇2018

#151 - St Thomas Aquinas (12-3)🥉2017

#153 - Punahou (5-3) 2017

#158 - Orem (12-2)🥇2017

#162 - Liberty (10-5)🥇 2019

#162 - Liberty (10-5)🥇 2019

#169 - Bishop Gorman (11-2) 2019

#170 - Bellevue (13-1)🥉2014

#172 - East (11-2)🥇2015 

#209 - Saguaro (13-1)🥇2018

#236 - St Louis (4-4) 2014

#280 - Milton (5-7) 

#283 - East (10-4) 2019

#318 - Reed (11-3) 2017

#459 - Centennial (9-3) 2019

#495 - Permian (7-5) 2019

#539 - Bishop Manogue (11-4)🥈2018

#591 - St Peter’s Prep (8-3)🥉2015

#625 - Kamehameha (4-7) 2018

Thank you, I believe I’ve only gone back to 2014 with California but this is what I’ve gotten so far.

Texas will be a snap 

14 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

@Las Vegas_JC does have a point tho. It seems as if MD wanted no parts of BG during their glory days. You can't go beating on your chest because you beat BG once they lost their most successful class. 

No ones beating their chest, Gorman has never even been the biggest game on the MD schedule lol. The first game was not as close as he said it was. That was my point. (They didn’t play against our best team either) Gorman had their run, some great teams they put together with all that California and Hawaii talent. That pipeline has dried & BG wants no part of MD now. Frankly, they don’t seem to want smoke with any TL team after cancelling on Servite 😕 

2 hours ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

Do you hear that?

No retorts just 🦗🦗🦗

There you go. Hope the new guy at Gorman gets it right so the matchup happens annually. Did Sanchez bounce because his ego still hurts from being booted so far off the map? 

One last thing, BG backing out of playing Servite? Gotten that bad in Vegas huh? Call Lorenzo and Frank ASAP!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2