Reason #1 why you can't take star ratings and recruiting services serious.

Ga96

21 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

I would hope boosters clubs would step up or somebody would help them.  Should be no entrance fee.

Some do but for most small schools kids are on their own. Just think a kid I south georgia has to find a way to go to Atlanta get a hotel room for 2 days and play to participate.

You have to pay for these camps? WTF? If anybody knows a kid/kids that can’t pay for their “entrance fee” let me know where I can send the money. Lame as shit these camps charge kids to evaluate them. Especially when they’re charging adults to read about those “evaluations” online. I’ve seen those experts miss so many times I won’t pay for that recruiting crap. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

You have to pay for these camps? WTF? If anybody knows a kid/kids that can’t pay for their “entrance fee” let me know where I can send the money. Lame as shit these camps charge kids to evaluate them. Especially when they’re charging adults to read about those “evaluations” online. I’ve seen those experts miss so many times I won’t pay for that recruiting crap. 

Yeah, they charge for the camps. At the same time though, it's not the only factor they use to evaluate kids and give them stars. Through the last several years, Rivals has had scouts visit Colquitt and evaluate some of the talent, often tweeting about what they're seeing. 

I do agree it's a shady and seedy service though. If paying to go to one of their camps gets someone favoritism in their ratings, the ratings became garbage at that moment.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Yeah, they charge for the camps.

Rivals says their combines/camps are free......just sayin'.

Doesn't matter you don't get stars at these camps.

Rivals Camps and Rivals Combines are free. Prospects must provide their own transportation to events. A limited number of $20 Fast Pass are available for each combine.4 days ago

https://www.rivalscampseries.com/rivals-camp-series/

The Rivals Camp Series are the premier free regional camps reserved for the top high school recruits. If you want to get seen by coaches and catch the attention of D1 programs, there is no better place to show out than a Rivals Camp.

You will participate in position-specific drills (QBs, RBs, WR/TEs, OLs, DLs, LBs, and DBs), and showcase your talent when you face off against other top-tier athletes in one-on-ones.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ga96 said:

How much does it cost to pay with 229? Is it free? Do the players have to buy their uniforms? Your go fund me has only raised $200 so that can’t help much. 

On 1/9/2022 at 5:09 PM, HurricaneNick said:

You're not aware of this "cash grab?"

Why you think it's harder for rural area kids or smaller school kids to get recognition unless you go to a well-known school?

Despite constituting only around 10% of all FBS college football players, blue chip recruits (4-star and 5-star) made up 53% of First Round picks in the last NFL Draft.

In other words, despite this silliness the recruiting services pretty much know what they're doing.

2021 NFL Draft by recruiting ranking

• 5-stars: 7
  • 4-stars: 10
  • 3-stars: 14
  • 2-stars: 1
  • 1-star: 0
  • Unranked: 0

Tom Lemming does a nice job of touring the country and highlighting kids.  His Twitter feed is a cool follow.  

I added a recent TX mention, along a with a few examples of kids highlighted and comments.  

Film is vital for a recruit in a rural area and also perhaps not playing in a strong league.  
Coaching staff needs to assist as well imo to help send the PR message.  

3699BB8C-1F32-4179-9738-ADF406067FC0.png

5C5EACF1-02CC-4B30-99D9-B47ABE167680.png

E293351B-85CF-4739-BED7-B82855381E7A.png

• Thanks 1

I see a 4 star from Frenship HS in TX, a 3 star from DBP and of course I noticed a few STA kids names right away, one of whom has no rating or any offers ‘23 class.  I’ll check them all eventually.   

Edit:  King Large (dig the name!) SJB 2024, no offers.  

DeAndre Carter (big fella) ‘24 Mater Dei and 7 offers.  Wonder what his pancake total was last season.  

Jimothy Lewis from MS, 247’s early ‘24 top OT.  Some nice offers. 

C153D45F-5128-465F-9DC2-1A032812CDBC.jpeg

50A17772-3AFC-43DB-89C1-BC7BFE7E535C.jpeg

1 hour ago, Atticus Finch said:

Despite constituting only around 1% of all FBS college football players, blue chip recruits (4-star and 5-star) made up 53% of First Round picks in the last NFL Draft.

In other words, despite this silliness the recruiting services pretty much know what they're doing.

2021 NFL Draft by recruiting ranking

• 5-stars: 7
  • 4-stars: 10
  • 3-stars: 14
  • 2-stars: 1
  • 1-star: 0
  • Unranked: 0

That's super cool.

The thing is Florida has 47 4* and 5* prospects this year.....add Texas and California and comibed you have over 150 4* and 5* prospects.

There is something wrong with that math....

25 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Harrison Green actually transferred to Western last summer but it's possible he may come back to STA.

I double checked his Twitter acct.  He may have come over with Justin Bodford ‘24 DT, not sure.  Kid should have offers by now and I’m sure will by spring visits.   A source that wrote about him in Dec used a STA photo from previous year looks like.  

10 minutes ago, RedZone said:

The thing is Florida has 47 4* and 5* prospects this year.....add Texas and California and comibed you have over 150 4* and 5* prospects.

There is something wrong with that math....

I missed a '0' as it should be 10%.

There are something like ~250+ blue chip prospects each year X 4 years (perhaps extra years due to COVID) = ~1,000 blue chips

85 scholarships X 130 FBS teams = ~11,000 players.

~1,000 / ~11,000 = ~10%

5 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

I missed a '0' as it should be 10%.

There are something like ~250+ blue chip prospects each year X 4 years (perhaps extra years due to COVID) = ~1,000 blue chips

85 scholarships X 130 FBS teams = ~11,000 players.

~1,000 / ~11,000 = ~10%

Florida has 252 3*, 4*, and 5* prospects this year. This class will produce 30 or so NFL draft picks in 7 total rounds.......that's NOT good!

You want to wager on it?