Random $%#&

OldTerrapin

3 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

I was in Huntsville for 2 days 2 months ago... 

Man in the next 5 years Huntsville should surpass Birmingham as Alabama's largest city... 

Huntsville is a Beautiful place though... 

I can see why its a hot spot and it has no shortage of jobs either... 

From the little I’ve looked into Huntsville, it is super cheap. Definitely a place you could possibly grab multiple properties.

4 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

I was in Huntsville for 2 days 2 months ago... 

Man in the next 5 years Huntsville should surpass Birmingham as Alabama's largest city... 

Huntsville is a Beautiful place though... 

I can see why its a hot spot and it has no shortage of jobs either... 

City wise they are bigger now strictly based people who live in the city limits. Birmingham metro area is still much bigger.

3 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

From the little I’ve looked into Huntsville, it is super cheap. Definitely a place you could possibly grab multiple properties.

Most of Alabama is... 

Georgia is still affordable but compared to Alabama and parts of SC and NC Georgia is extremely E X P E N S I V E... 

And recently South GA-Valdosta in particular has seen a population boom of people moving in from out of state. 

As a whole the state of GA is growing faster than anticipated. People have started paying attention to rural south GA because its tons of untapped land and business potential... 

The con of all this is prices are rising faster here than in our neighboring states outside of Florida... 

Alabama however has alot of decent affordable areas where you can find diamonds in the rough... 

18 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

@Fred @Cossacks @HurricaneNick @Nolebull813 @HooverOutlaw @FreeBird

I got a question for y'all... 

I've been going back to school and working my ass off.... 

I love my family and I'm renting a nice home from one of my uncles and I'm currently living near Atlanta in Hampton,GA.... 

I pay $1400 a month which is a steal for this freakin house with 4 br-3 bath. 

But I really want something of my own I've been looking into buying a foreclosed home or Tax liened home.

Theres a few places I'm looking now I'm not against leaving GA... as I have before due to jobs... but I kinda wanna stay in GA

Since moving would no longer effect my line of work its free game. 

Places I've been looking:

St.Augustine,FL

Duluth,GA

Valdosta,GA

Saint Marys,GA 

Huntsville,AL 

Warner Robins,GA

Now from my understanding on Tax lien is I'm responsible for paying the property tax on a home and then the home is mine if the homeowner can't pay me or the bank back the tax lien amount. 

Hey thats really great to hear man. Keep at it. Paying the tax lien on a home will not make you the owner. However, my first 2-3 years in real estate I would call the pre foreclosure list (public record through your county, they will provide the address and name, you can skip trace their phone number through a software like propstream.com with a free trial) and make a deal with the owner to buy the property at a heavy discount. It’s a win for both parties. You save, they avoid foreclosure. I can send you you my exact contracts and the questions you need to ask the owner before buying.

If I could start over again I would try and buy at minimum a duplex, but ideally a triplex or 4plex. Put 3.5% down on it and rent the other units. You must live in the property for a year, but your other tenants will pay your mortgage and taxes through their rent while you basically live for “free”.  Maybe even cash flow a little bit. Of course you are the landlord now and that can be a headache too. I also have a criteria and screening that I use on all my renters applications that I can send your way if you choose to go this route. Reach out with any questions man, this is an exciting time for you! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Hey thats really great to hear man. Keep at it. Paying the tax lien on a home will not make you the owner. However, my first 2-3 years in real estate I would call the pre foreclosure list (public record through your county, they will provide the address and name, you can skip trace their phone number through a software like propstream.com with a free trial) and make a deal with the owner to buy the property at a heavy discount. It’s a win for both parties. You save, they avoid foreclosure. I can send you you my exact contracts and the questions you need to ask the owner before buying.

If I could start over again I would try and buy at minimum a duplex, but ideally a triplex or 4plex. Put 3.5% down on it and rent the other units. You must live in the property for a year, but your other tenants will pay your mortgage and taxes through their rent while you basically live for “free”.  Maybe even cash flow a little bit. Of course you are the landlord now and that can be a headache too. I also have a criteria and screening that I use on all my renters applications that I can send your way if you choose to go this route. Reach out with any questions man, this is an exciting time for you! 

I'm still in the early phases right now but when its closer to time I will most definitely come to you. 

The uncle I'm renting from currently stayed in this house for 5 years. He got it with some Military assistance and Investments. But he got tired of Atlanta and got another place down in Savannah. 

• Like 1

@HurricaneNick

I caught a piece on the recent ruling re: the National Assoc of Realtors news the other day on CNBC.  

Will any changes affect you much or not really/at all.  

This will likely impact commissions on realtors more than any increase in price factor on real estate buying/selling…  

I welcome your thoughts though on any impact you see happening.  

Common commission 6 pct (both sides) cartel to negotiate from, seems dead.  

Hope savings come to consumers in both selling/buying processes moving fwd.  

Folks have choices prior anyway, like a discounted commission on sales using Redfin, for example. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

@Fred @Cossacks @HurricaneNick @Nolebull813 @HooverOutlaw @FreeBird

I got a question for y'all... 

I've been going back to school and working my ass off.... 

I love my family and I'm renting a nice home from one of my uncles and I'm currently living near Atlanta in Hampton,GA.... 

I pay $1400 a month which is a steal for this freakin house with 4 br-3 bath. 

But I really want something of my own I've been looking into buying a foreclosed home or Tax liened home.

Theres a few places I'm looking now I'm not against leaving GA... as I have before due to jobs... but I kinda wanna stay in GA

Since moving would no longer effect my line of work its free game. 

Places I've been looking:

St.Augustine,FL

Duluth,GA

Valdosta,GA

Saint Marys,GA 

Huntsville,AL 

Warner Robins,GA

Now from my understanding on Tax lien is I'm responsible for paying the property tax on a home and then the home is mine if the homeowner can't pay me or the bank back the tax lien amount.

I think you need to decide what kind of life you want to have.  Duluth is going to be very different from the others.  Its a great place but it is a suburb of Atlanta.  If you want to have the options that Atlanta offers in the way of entertainment, food, housing, etc, it's the clear choice.  You can be in the mountains in a hour to hour and half, Lake Lanier in 40 minutes or less, Atlantic or Gulf beaches in 5-6 hours.  It will be more congested for the most part.  I've heard a lot of good things about St. Augustine but have no personal experience.  Huntsville is growing and has lots of opportunities.  St Mary's will give you the smaller town coastal experience but don't forget the area as a whole is going to be growing rapidly as a result of the Hyundai plant and supporting industries.  I know that is more Savannah but I would expect there to be some spillover down towards the Brunswick/St Marys area.  I know the Port Authority is planning on moving all car transport to Brunswick to free up space for container shipments at Savannah.  I don't know how that will play out in the Brunswick area but I would think there would some growth.  Valdosta and Warner Robins you probably know more about than I.  I have heard the Air Force base is possibly gaining some new air wings and responsibility so the Macon/Warner Robins area may grow some.

You need to reconsider a tax lien house if you are wanting to move into it immediately.  As an investment, sure, but immediate occupancy, no.  In Georgia, the owner of the property has the right to reclaim the property by paying off the tax lien plus whatever expenses the lien purchaser incurred.  They have this right for several YEARS.  I don't remember the exact length of time but I know it is more than I would want to risk if it were to be my primary residence.  If you look up Georgia tax lien sales, you should be able to find the exact details.  A foreclosure on the other hand, is yours when the papers are signed and can't be reclaimed assuming of course you stay current.  If you go this route, and I would, make sure you get your own mortgage insurance separate from your lender.  A foreclosed property can have defects in the deed that could impact you down the road.  The lender's mortgage insurance protects them and not you.  If for example, you buy a house and for whatever reason it goes back to the seller, the insurance would pay off the lender but you would be out of luck for whatever you had in it.  There are agents that specialize in foreclosed properties and know the ins and outs of those deals.  While there are exceptions, be prepared to have to work on a foreclosed property.  They often have been run into the ground and trashed badly.  It's a great opportunity for sweat equity if you are able to do the work.  I know in the past you said you had some health challenges and I don't know if those has resolved or not (nor is it any of my business) but that's a question you need to answer.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HurricaneNick said:

I also have a criteria and screening that I use on all my renters applications that I can send your way if you choose to go this route. Reach out with any questions man, this is an exciting time for you! 

Would love to see @FreeBird go through this one and see if he can manipulate it to pass 😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fred said:

I think you need to decide what kind of life you want to have.  Duluth is going to be very different from the others.  Its a great place but it is a suburb of Atlanta.  If you want to have the options that Atlanta offers in the way of entertainment, food, housing, etc, it's the clear choice.  You can be in the mountains in a hour to hour and half, Lake Lanier in 40 minutes or less, Atlantic or Gulf beaches in 5-6 hours.  It will be more congested for the most part.  I've heard a lot of good things about St. Augustine but have no personal experience.  Huntsville is growing and has lots of opportunities.  St Mary's will give you the smaller town coastal experience but don't forget the area as a whole is going to be growing rapidly as a result of the Hyundai plant and supporting industries.  I know that is more Savannah but I would expect there to be some spillover down towards the Brunswick/St Marys area.  I know the Port Authority is planning on moving all car transport to Brunswick to free up space for container shipments at Savannah.  I don't know how that will play out in the Brunswick area but I would think there would some growth.  Valdosta and Warner Robins you probably know more about than I.  I have heard the Air Force base is possibly gaining some new air wings and responsibility so the Macon/Warner Robins area may grow some.

You need to reconsider a tax lien house if you are wanting to move into it immediately.  As an investment, sure, but immediate occupancy, no.  In Georgia, the owner of the property has the right to reclaim the property by paying off the tax lien plus whatever expenses the lien purchaser incurred.  They have this right for several YEARS.  I don't remember the exact length of time but I know it is more than I would want to risk if it were to be my primary residence.  If you look up Georgia tax lien sales, you should be able to find the exact details.  A foreclosure on the other hand, is yours when the papers are signed and can't be reclaimed assuming of course you stay current.  If you go this route, and I would, make sure you get your own mortgage insurance separate from your lender.  A foreclosed property can have defects in the deed that could impact you down the road.  The lender's mortgage insurance protects them and not you.  If for example, you buy a house and for whatever reason it goes back to the seller, the insurance would pay off the lender but you would be out of luck for whatever you had in it.  There are agents that specialize in foreclosed properties and know the ins and outs of those deals.  While there are exceptions, be prepared to have to work on a foreclosed property.  They often have been run into the ground and trashed badly.  It's a great opportunity for sweat equity if you are able to do the work.  I know in the past you said you had some health challenges and I don't know if those has resolved or not (nor is it any of my business) but that's a question you need to answer.

Hope this helps.

Healthwise I've improved. 

Weight loss and diet change does wonders... 

But timewise I don't think I'll have much time for sweat equity... 

Like I told Nick I'm still in the very early stages... 

I gotta go to Saint Augustine,FL for work Thursday so I'll get to see whats down there. 

And what its like

Warner Robins and Valdosta are pretty nice in terms of affordability and opportunities. 

Valdosta's location has made it a prime commerce hub. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fred said:

Hope this helps.

Do you know if theres a way I can look at foreclosed homes before trying to go all in on em? 

5 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

@HurricaneNick

I caught a piece on the recent ruling re: the National Assoc of Realtors news the other day on CNBC.  

Will any changes affect you much or not really/at all.  

This will likely impact commissions on realtors more than any increase in price factor on real estate buying/selling…  

I welcome your thoughts though on any impact you see happening.  

Common commission 6 pct (both sides) cartel to negotiate from, seems dead.  

Hope savings come to consumers in both selling/buying processes moving fwd.  

Folks have choices prior anyway, like a discounted commission on sales using Redfin, for example. 

It has no impact on me as I’m usually only investing in off market deals and will close cash without a realtor. Direct with title company. I have my attorney check all the boxes and make sure the deal is sound. I prefer it that way, but also don’t mind paying commissions to a good realtor if the numbers make sense. I have a few guys that will come to me with a property listed on the MLS that they can’t move and if it makes sense we’ll do it. The new ruling lowers costs for buyers and I think we will see a rise in home buying. Truthfully, I’m most interested in seeing how the brokers react to this if it passes.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Do you know if theres a way I can look at foreclosed homes before trying to go all in on em? 

Your county (or any county) will have foreclosure/pre foreclosure/ liens/fire damage/water shutoff lists available to you either online or through the court house. All available to you for free. Really it can even be as easy as leaving a sticky note or letter on their doorstep telling them you’re interested in purchasing their home. Leave your number and if they call you may have a deal on your hands. Pretty much zero cost marketing, just some sweat equity and some gas money.

These are properties in pre foreclosure in Fulton county https://www.foreclosure.com/listings/fulton-county-ga/preforeclosures/

This link shows you how to gain access to them before they go to auction. https://fultonclerk.org/faq.aspx?qid=92

This one has everything, all the lists you’ll need, names, addresses, numbers, plus details on on the property and selling history (except non-disclosure states like TX) https://www.propstream.com