Calling it now -- Centennial AZ beats STA

ECHS05

1 hour ago, aZjimbo said:

Saguaro certainly is not the only school in this country that refuses to "schedule up" whether in state or OOS. Unfortunately many schools seem to schedule very "carefully" when need be.

I don't care who Saguaro or anyone else schedules-they can play eight-man football in their non-region games, roll through 4A and collect their title at the end and it would not bother me.  What does bother me is when get credit they haven't earned upon rolling through a soft schedule, or when they do schedule-up and lose we get a laundry list of excuses why that team wasn't as good as the teams in the years where they play nobody and roll. 

It also bothers me that in the odd year that they don't win a 4A/D-3 title that suddenly people hold no delusions as to what that division actually is-when Saguaro had a "down" year in 2012 (i.e. when they lost to the 2011 D-1 champs, the 2011 D-2 champs, the 2012 D-3 runners-up, and a team that was quarterbacked by the eventual starter at NC State) Richard Obert actually says that the team speed and defensive ability in that division was a significant step-down from D-1 and D-2, and that the top teams in that division should not be compared to the higher division powers.  I absolutely agree with that sentiment, the problem is I'm one of the few that's actually consistent in maintaining that view-just as I don't think any of the traditional powers in the open-enrollment wonderland of Arizona just arbitrarily fall off their perches in so-called "down" years, I also refuse to believe that the last season Saguaro actually lost a game in their division was the one year where everyone in that division was slow and couldn't play defense. 

I have no issue saying that Saguaro is a great program-what they've done over the past 10+ years is remarkable, regardless of the division they play in.  At the same time I also think they have no place in the national discussion, and any inclusion of them then necessitates the inclusion of a good list of other Arizona programs that are just better from a purely on-field perspective.  

Ive been hearing rumors... which is all they are at this point... but 2018 could be interesting OOSwise for GA: 

So far Ive heard BG may be making a trip to Atlanta to play Grayson(Unofficial) might not even happen and then hosting another Atlanta school the week after... 

@nptb17 unofficial but Colquitt @ Trinity (KY) 

I expect Hoover to be on the Plate as always. 

@SammyswordsmanI heard Archer was susposed to be playing their 1st ever OOS game in 2018. Idk against who... 

3 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Ive been hearing rumors... which is all they are at this point... but 2018 could be interesting OOSwise for GA: 

So far Ive heard BG may be making a trip to Atlanta to play Grayson(Unofficial) might not even happen and then hosting another Atlanta school the week after... 

@SammyswordsmanI heard Archer was susposed to be playing their 1st ever OOS game in 2018. Idk against who... 

If so I will be in attendance.  Only an hour and some change drive for me.

2 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Will be looking forward to it.  I know Archer would step up!!!!

On 9/30/2017 at 3:52 PM, ECHS05 said:

Clueless post from you.

STAs offense S-U-C-K-S. Theyd be lucky to win 2 of 10. 

Centennial has a legit defense. Legit... anywhere. And they are senior-laden. They are simply better.

Nice call ECHS05. I too thought that STA would win this game.

You get the wear the crown, at least for a week. :) 

royal-gold-crown-23654404.thumb.jpg.8a2744ce99a551fdc63cb5123a5a4ad6.jpg

16 minutes ago, aZjimbo said:

Latest Az rankings entire state: Centennial, Perry, Mtn Pointe, Chandler, QC, Hamilton, NDP, Pinnacle, Saguaro, Cienega.

6A- Perry, Mtn Pointe, Chandler, Hamilton, Pinnacle

5A- Centennial, QC, NDP, Cienega, Liberty

4A- Saguaro, Sunrise Mtn, Salpointe, Higley, Cactus

I have a friend who went to Cactus HS... 

• 5 months later...
34 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

I feel like if STA woulda won this game, they woulda been the national champs. 

STA also lost to Venice (27-20) in the playoffs, & Miramar (44-27)

A 2-loss National Champ that didnt even win their State Championship isnt feasible.

I didnt see them losing to Miramar, but Venice had a strong team and I figured theyd beat STA too.

STA just wasnt very good this past season.

9 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

STA also lost to Venice (27-20) in the playoffs, & Miramar (44-27)

A 2-loss National Champ that didnt even win their State Championship isnt feasible.

I didnt see them losing to Miramar, but Venice had a strong team and I figured theyd beat STA too.

STA just wasnt very good this past season.

Miramar had the talent to win 8a last year but had a bad draw in first round 

I wasn't surprised Miramar won but them scoring 44 on what i thought was a solid defense Did surprise me