Does DLS have any chance?

PrepGridiron

16 minutes ago, Pops said:

I do

To calibrate, I was only offering some support for my friend from TX suggesting DLS owns some intangible advantage vs Socal in SBGs

DLS ‘17 is significantly better than DLS ‘16 (largely the same kids a year older).  DLS ‘16 had even less business being on the field vs SJB than DLS ‘17 does vs a much better MD.  I don’t even recall whether anyone was bold enough to post a “Dies DLS have a chance?” thread.  So a boxscore that looks like this:

DLS   14    3     10      6     33

SJB.  21.  14.     7.    14   56

when your opponent has a +66 advantage in only common opponent and you lose the turnover battle 0-4 can fairly be called a better than expected performance 

Game was over before half as expected 

28 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

Line is -22 in Vegas. 

1 minute ago, Mjd33 said:

I think MD covers and the over. 

My only hold back on laying money down is that I know Rollo has way too much respect for DLS to run it up on them. If the score is 35-10 after half, MD***** will run the ball and play a lot of Sr’s in the 4th. the score may end up looking much closer then the game actually was.

2 minutes ago, Eddyr2 said:

My only hold back on laying money down is that I know Rollo has way too much respect for DLS to run it up on them. If the score is 35-10 after half, MD***** will run the ball and play a lot of Sr’s in the 4th. the score may end up looking much closer then the game actually was.

That’s very possible

what’s probable is that socal will be on after game saying it should have been worse regardless 

2 minutes ago, Eddyr2 said:

That is how I can see it playing out as well. If MD gets up really big, I see them just trying to shorten the game and get it over with. But I still think even with that philosophy they probably cover.

I fully expect MD to roll here, but with DLS being DLS, I'd never completely rule them out. The pressure is on MD and if DLS can not fumble and can grind out drives, MD might begin to feel that pressure in a close game late (which they have not played in this year).  That is when that 0-4 starts weighing on their minds.

Of course, having said that, that "if" is about the size of Mater Dei's offensive line....

51 minutes ago, Ararar said:

Game was over before half as expected 

No, it wasn't. 

DLS was clearly overmatched in that game, but remember that they were on Bosco's 30 yard line early in the 4Q when the score was 42-27.

If they had punched it in, they would have been down by a single score in the 4Q. 

To say it was over at half is to put the point too strongly. 

Remember, it was 31-14 midway through the 3Q in the SJC game, and DLS was the smaller, slower team in that game too. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rippers said:

I fully expect MD to roll here, but with DLS being DLS, I'd never completely rule them out. The pressure is on MD and if DLS can not fumble and can grind out drives, MD might begin to feel that pressure in a close game late (which they have not played in this year).  That is when that 0-4 starts weighing on their minds.

Of course, having said that, that "if" is about the size of Mater Dei's offensive line....

No kid from 2017 will be thinking about 0-4 at any point during the game (before and after sure)

1 hour ago, Belly Bob said:

No, it wasn't. 

DLS was clearly overmatched in that game, but remember that they were on Bosco's 30 yard line early in the 4Q when the score was 42-27.

If they had punched it in, they would have been down by a single score in the 4Q. 

Remember, it was 31-14 midway through the 3Q in the SJC game, and DLS was the smaller, slower team in that game too. 

Great post but he knew all of that 

he might as well have said it was over before kick off 

that’s one if dls’s worse losses ever and they were in it in Q4 against a clearly vastly superior team physically — IMHO was a top 10 performance in the last decade, the teams were just that different — DLS has had better teams and socal nor anyone else has ever had a team like Mater Dei — maybe IMG but believe those guys are mostly 1-season players — not saying MD is a paragon of virtue dealing with strictly parochial kids, but the nucleus of the team has 2-3 years together 

last years team did enough to win If the breaks went their way..... maybe.... but considering turnovers were DLS (-4) and the talent differential, it was remarkable that DLS was 30 yards from a 1-score game in Q4

i just think this MD team is 14+ better than SJB ‘15 and doubt DLS can improve much on last year’s effort 

i think DLS biggest problem in the game, is that they are not built to score points on this Mater Dei team...a team like folsom that runs a wide open passing game my score 30+ on MD, ie santa margarita. DLS veer game has them running into the teeth of MD's front 7 (even without Solo). i think the final will be something like 42-21 or so with the score being 35-7 at half.

2 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

No, it wasn't. 

So DLS had a glimmer of hope for one play? It was 42-17 and SJB got bored.To DLS credit they kept playing but were never in the game but if it makes you feel better to think so be my guest 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

I think that’s about as bullish as Alumbaugh can be and more than Lad would be — I remember him saying DLS wasn’t ready prior to STA in 2011

not saying which approach is best, but Alumbaugh more aligned with coach-speak IMHO — always give your opponents respect and never recognize any conclusion as foregone