Some California news

Ararar

10 hours ago, 1901VeniceCub said:

Cal Hi Sports has the updated NFL list. 

Long Beach Poly leads the state with the most representatives on the 53-man rosters across the NFL, followed by De La Salle, Loyola, Serra (both Gardena & San Mateo), Taft and Grant (NorCal) all tied with 3 representatives. 

It’s surprising that zero Trinity League  schools made that list, considering their respective programs are run like professional football teams. 

You're referring to SJB and MD. Give it time, they've only been having these super rosters for about 5 years now. Before that they were normalish high school teams. 

• Like 2

On 9/8/2020 at 5:02 PM, Extremely Humble said:

Depends if you count being  on the practice squad lol. Still getting paid though! 

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/jake-browning-makes-practice-squad/

similar to Matt Barkley, he hasn't had any success as a starter in the NFL, but receiving a huge paycheck for holding a clipboard.

in regards to LB Poly, leading in NFL roster, i feel reluctant to use the word people, because most people say there is no such thing as fairness, but i like to label LB Poly, as being the best HS FB program or most decorated HS FB program to have never won a Natty, i feel that will always be a major asterisk attached to their program, that is, until or if they ever win a Natty someday.

1 hour ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

i like to label LB Poly, as being the best HS FB program or most decorated HS FB program to have never won a Natty, i feel that will always be a major asterisk attached to their program, that is, until or if they ever win a Natty someday.

Win League. Beat your Rival/s. Win a Section Championship. 

Until 2006 (with state bowl games), those were a traditional coach’s and/or program’s goals. Until Jason Negro and Bruce Rollinson started “whipping out a tape measure” this past decade, racking up National Championships were not too common west of Texas (for one reason or another).

The fact that some guy on a message board says “I attach a major asterisk to the LB Poly program” is nothing short of laughable. 

1 hour ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

similar to Matt Barkley, he hasn't had any success as a starter in the NFL, but receiving a huge paycheck for holding a clipboard.

in regards to LB Poly, leading in NFL roster, i feel reluctant to use the word people, because most people say there is no such thing as fairness, but i like to label LB Poly, as being the best HS FB program or most decorated HS FB program to have never won a Natty, i feel that will always be a major asterisk attached to their program, that is, until or if they ever win a Natty someday.

Honestly I never hear the lack of a Natty when people mention the  Poly program. Never have seen a former Poly players (Mark Carrier, Willie McGinest, Gene Washington etc) bring it up or even mention it when talking about the program.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cossacks said:

Honestly I never hear the lack of a Natty when people mention the  Poly program. Never have seen a former Poly players (Mark Carrier, Willie McGinest, Gene Washington etc) bring it up or even mention it when talking about the program.

Totally Agree!!!... The Mist Overrated thing in HSFB is “Winning the Natty”... I am sure All those poly kids that got Full Rides or played in the NFL over the years from Polty are just fine over Not winning the Natty.... They were like 57-1 with 3 or 4 straight titles in the SS D1 which even MD, SJB and Cen 10 Haven’t done.... Other then Servite in 2009 and 2010, The only other team to win that section back to back recently was Cen 10 I think.. .

It is just the IMG, SFA, MD, STA, SJB’s and one good TX team that plays a soft schedule, that care’s about winning Natty's... The rest of the Country just plays HSFB....🤣🍻

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

Totally Agree!!!... The Mist Overrated thing in HSFB is “Winning the Natty”... I am sure All those poly kids that got Full Rides or played in the NFL over the years from Polty are just fine over Not winning the Natty.... They were like 57-1 with 3 or 4 straight titles in the SS D1 which even MD, SJB and Cen 10 Haven’t done.... Other then Servite in 2009 and 2010, The only other team to win that section back to back recently was Cen 10 I think.. .

It is just the IMG, SFA, MD, STA, SJB’s and one good TX team that plays a soft schedule, that care’s about winning Natty's... The rest of the Country just plays HSFB....🤣🍻

Nice take! I agree and disagree because yes the majority of HSFB does not care about a MNC but all that schools that have a shot at it and win it will gladly have maxpreps, USAT, etc on campus and accept the natty award & it’s a lot more than the 6 teams you listed. We are on the National board too...
The natty is “overrated” till your school wins it 🤷‍♂️ If servite/Cen10/LBP etc. won a national title the banner would be hanging in the gym. Fact.
Hell, even Loyola claims a national title although it was 45 years ago. 

& come on man MD just went back to back CIF titles in ‘17 & ‘18! 

Yes, the majority doesn’t care because they don’t have a shot at it but it would be silly to act like DLS, Centennial, LBP etc wouldn’t love to be “crowned” national champions. We need to keep the MNC’s in California! Except servite but they’d never win it anyway. Whew. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

& come on man MD just went back to back CIF titles in ‘17 & ‘18! 

Right?!?!.... How could I miss that!... I guess it just feels like MD and SJB just trade off the Title each year!....🤣

I also forgot to add that MD and Poly Tied for the SS Title in one of those Poly Run years in the Grootegood Game.... And yes, I agree, DLS definitely recognizes the years they were #1 in the polls and I am sure Cen10 and LBP would do the same....

LBP was a Great Program, it’s too bad they got screwed by the change in Transfer rules in their league or whatever.... That made it impossible for them to compete in D1 anymore....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 1901VeniceCub said:

Win League. Beat your Rival/s. Win a Section Championship. 

Until 2006 (with state bowl games), those were a traditional coach’s and/or program’s goals. Until Jason Negro and Bruce Rollinson started “whipping out a tape measure” this past decade, racking up National Championships were not too common west of Texas (for one reason or another).

The fact that some guy on a message board says “I attach a major asterisk to the LB Poly program” is nothing short of laughable. 

"Until Jason Negro and Bruce Rollinson started “whipping out a tape measure” this past decade, racking up National Championships were not too common west of Texas (for one reason or another)."  Wh, wh, WHAAAAAAT?!  Before Negro arrived at SJB in 2010, SEVEN Natties were won west of Texas in the previous 16 seasons.  That's pretty damn common!  Not to mention the fact that non-Rollinson/non-Negro Gorman busted out the three-peat in '14, '15 and '16.  

Mater Dei - 1994 (USA Today)
Mater Dei - 1996 (USA Today) (hell, any Loyola fan should know that!)
DLS - 1998 (USA Today)
DLS - 2000 (USA Today)
DLS - 2001 (USA Today)
DLS - 2002 (USA Today)
DLS - 2003 (USA Today)

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MD87 said:

"Until Jason Negro and Bruce Rollinson started “whipping out a tape measure” this past decade, racking up National Championships were not too common west of Texas (for one reason or another)."  Wh, wh, WHAAAAAAT?!  Before Negro arrived at SJB in 2010, SEVEN Natties were won west of Texas in the previous 16 seasons.  That's pretty damn common!  Not to mention the fact that non-Rollinson/non-Negro Gorman busted out the three-peat in '14, '15 and '16.  

Mater Dei - 1994 (USA Today)
Mater Dei - 1996 (USA Today) (hell, any Loyola fan should know that!)
DLS - 1998 (USA Today)
DLS - 2000 (USA Today)
DLS - 2001 (USA Today)
DLS - 2002 (USA Today)
DLS - 2003 (USA Today)

Oh, word? So, from 1997-2012 a grand total of ZERO teams from LA/OC/IE (Greater So Cal—the area we rep) earned a National Championship? Got it! 

13 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

The natty is “overrated” till your school wins it 🤷‍♂️ If servite/Cen10/LBP etc. won a national title the banner would be hanging in the gym. Fact.
Hell, even Loyola claims a national title although it was 45 years ago.  Whew. 

SHEEEEEEEIIITTT! Mater Dei hangs some cloth for some of the wildest accomplishments in their basketball gym! 

Doesn’t MD have some 7on7 and Lineman Tug of War Championship banners hanging in their gym?

Goodness Gracious, it’s laughable all those banners they “claim”. No shame.  😂

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

9 hours ago, 1901VeniceCub said:

SHEEEEEEEIIITTT! Mater Dei hangs some cloth for some of the wildest accomplishments in their basketball gym! 

Doesn’t MD have some 7on7 and Lineman Tug of War Championship banners hanging in their gym?

We don’t have room to hang anything other than titles but I know you know that!!! 

0C92D86E-0978-46A5-8A85-1830651C4B8E.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

We don’t have room to hang anything other than titles but I know you know that!!! 

0C92D86E-0978-46A5-8A85-1830651C4B8E.jpeg

I absolutely love the truly humble nature of the OC folks. The Mater Dei Monarchs are certainly a special breed. 

Here’s to one day having so many Championships that you literally don’t have any room to display them in a gym. 

Maybe you guys will earn another one and take the title back from Bosco this year...But looks like both of you guys need to recruit a QB (again). 

P.S. I hear Loyola finally received the MD player to be named later in the Rafael Rice Trade. Lordy! Took you guys long enough! A 6’4 240+ TE/DE JR to be from Newport Beach. Sounds like you guys are alienating your bread and butter student-athletes that have attended MD for generations. We shall see if this national recruiting reach is sustainable without the local products. 

1 minute ago, 1901VeniceCub said:

I absolutely love the truly humble nature of the OC folks. The Mater Dei Monarchs are certainly a special breed. 

Here’s to one day having so many Championships that you literally don’t have any room to display them in a gym. 

Maybe you guys will earn another one and take the title back from Bosco this year...But looks like both of you guys need to recruit a QB (again). 

P.S. I hear Loyola finally received the MD player to be named later in the Rafael Rice Trade. Lordy! Took you guys long enough! A 6’4 240+ TE/DE JR to be from Newport Beach. Sounds like you guys are alienating your bread and butter student-athletes that have attended MD for generations. We shall see if this national recruiting reach is sustainable without the local products. 

While I would agree, I know many families from Newport, CDM & south that made the trip to Loyola. All BS aside you guys are a great school & will always attract catholic families from OC. 

& we are ready to go at QB! 

15 hours ago, 1901VeniceCub said:

I guess when your program hasn't been relevant since the previous century, these are the type of spitballs one feels compelled to throw at those that are.  Sad.