Some California news

Ararar

14 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

When Matt Barkley beat you as freshman, then got injured & you got luckyand beat the back up?

7A497F59-4C1A-4302-9321-B1C313591F96.jpeg

Matt Barkley? As I remember it, we roughed the young buck up pretty good and gave him a few good licks that night. Not quite like Anthony Barr throwing Barkley down like a rag doll. Barkley was rattled all night. Sacks, turnovers, no TDs and junk stats. He did a good job handing off though...

Honestly, the guy that beat us that night was Ahmed Mokhtar. It was a double OT heavyweight bout at the dust bowl. We almost had a nice goal line stand. But, almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. 

As for the semifinal contest and getting lucky...Ok. We knew we had to stop Mokhtar and force the pass and we did exactly that. Perfectly executed gameplan for a shutout. No complaints from me, we were singing all the way back to Clougherty Chapel. 

In regards to the games in the 90s...I was not in those trenches, were you? Without intimate knowledge, I’m sure the games were hardnosed battles that came down to one or two plays. No surprises there, it’s Loyola-Mater Dei. 

But, I do find humor in you posting a photo of the Cathedral Phantoms’ Prodigal Son, Bryce Young! He happened to have his worst game of his high school career vs Loyola in 2017. Turnovers, sacks, no TDs and a big fat L. 

I guess, he just needed to be featured on the So Cal All-Star team to truly shine bright. 

8 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

It will be a competition between him and Emmett Brown. It really doesn’t matter which one it is because of the defense, RBs and OL that Mater Dei has. They will handing the ball off a lot.

With Raleek forcing opponents to stuff the box and the talent in Kyron and CJ, there'll be plenty of slinging the rock going on, too.

• Like 2

It’s almost like these kids are transferring because they want to play in a better program that will prepare them to play on Saturdays. Oh wait. That’s exactly what they’re doing. We ❤️ the old timers that hate on kids transferring to schools for better opportunities! As many kids that transfer in to MD, transfer out of MD to go play elsewhere.

Not sure kid can win the job. Not playing last year will hurt him a little bit.
Emmett is in sync with his teammates, but I do like depth at the position! 
Quincy Craig, CJ Williams, Raleek Brown, Shoes Brinkley & Josiah Zamora running routes for EB. 

7E9288DC-B712-4DA6-B7BA-46C96AD8FB10.jpeg

^^^ where do you send your kid to get developed Mater Dei or Turlock? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoCalFball said:

“tuition assistance” 😉😂

It's almost like MD is handing out scholarships lol. I don't have any issues with players transferring there. If you're a baller and want to play play for an all star team and get exposure it makes sense. I have a hard time believing all of these transfers (some from other states, others hundreds of miles away) can afford the private school tuition in Socal. Maybe I'm wrong, probably I'm not. 

• Thanks 1

MD offers the same financial assistance as all catholic schools in SoCal. St bernards, servite, & Bosco all loaded up on transfers yet not a peep. The amount of tuition varies based off of the income of the family but I know all of you guys already know that. So, no, not everybody is paying full tuition because they cant afford it. Thank God catholic schools have funds set up to ensure no one is turned away because of cost REGARDLESS of whether or not they play sports. Miller Moss would have received ZERO tuition assistance from MD because his family can afford to pay the tuition x25. That’s how it goes, but again, I know you guys already know that. Imagine being a grown man & getting upset that a high school kid is receiving an excellent education for less than full price because they cannot afford it. Yikes. 

How crazy are the looneys going to go when they realize you can be awarded a huge financial aid package at MD without participating in ANY extra curricular activities 😱😱😱 It’s almost like the catholic schools make the EDUCATION affordable for everyone. Ive said it many times before, football is just one part of the experience at MD. The uproar is because we are at the top right now. No one says anything about the transfers heading to servite or that they literally have a youth football team that practices on campus on the field at servite and is ran by the current quarterbacks (fifita’s) father because they're garbage and can’t consistently win. I get it. Just imagine if a youth team practiced on campus at MD like they do at servite 🤣🤣 socalfb would make a mess in his pants! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, HurricaneNick said:

MD offers the same financial assistance as all catholic schools in SoCal. St bernards, servite, & Bosco all loaded up on transfers yet not a peep. The amount of tuition varies based off of the income of the family but I know all of you guys already know that. So, no, not everybody is paying full tuition because they cant afford it. Thank God catholic schools have funds set up to ensure no one is turned away because of cost REGARDLESS of whether or not they play sports. Miller Moss would have received ZERO tuition assistance from MD because his family can afford to pay the tuition x25. That’s how it goes, but again, I know you guys already know that. Imagine being a grown man & getting upset that a high school kid is receiving an excellent education for less than full price because they cannot afford it. Yikes. 

How crazy are the looneys going to go when they realize you can be awarded a huge financial aid package at MD without participating in ANY extra curricular activities 😱😱😱 It’s almost like the catholic schools make the EDUCATION affordable for everyone. Ive said it many times before, football is just one part of the experience at MD. The uproar is because we are at the top right now. No one says anything about the transfers heading to servite or that they literally have a youth football team that practices on campus on the field at servite and is ran by the current quarterbacks (fifita’s) father because they're garbage and can’t consistently win. I get it. Just imagine if a youth team practiced on campus at MD like they do at servite 🤣🤣 socalfb would make a mess in his pants! 

I agree with you as far as the Tuition as there are no “Angel Boosters” handing out Scholarships.... All the schools play by the same rules as far as that goes with financial Aid and I believe all the students who apply are treated the same based on their need....

What is giving MD the Black Eye on this and the “IMG” feel is they keep bringing in these 1 semester players who transfer back after football season so they can graduate early and are just rented for the football season, that is not a real High School....

All you MD guys said that Rollo was against that and it wouldn’t happen again, Yet this year as soon as MD was Desperate for a QB, in comes Miller Moss for a 1 semester rental.... Forget the kids that were in the program....

I would be more apt to believe that all these schools help out with Housing and or Transportation, it’s hard to believe that families are just going to move hundreds of miles without any help on the housing front or commute an hour or more long rides without a Van Pool....

With Servite, SJB, etc you don’t hear about the 1 semester rentals like MD has done.... Maybe they are there and we don’t know it because Sondy of the Times just hates MD so much and seems to Luv SJB who can do no wrong In his eyes.... 🤣🤣

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, THEOC89 said:

I agree with you as far as the Tuition as there are no “Angel Boosters” handing out Scholarships.... All the schools play by the same rules as far as that goes with financial Aid and I believe all the students who apply are treated the same based on their need....

What is giving MD the Black Eye on this and the “IMG” feel is they keep bringing in these 1 semester players who transfer back after football season so they can graduate early and are just rented for the football season, that is not a real High School....

All you MD guys said that Rollo was against that and it wouldn’t happen again, Yet this year as soon as MD was Desperate for a QB, in comes Miller Moss for a 1 semester rental.... Forget the kids that were in the program....

I would be more apt to believe that all these schools help out with Housing and or Transportation, it’s hard to believe that families are just going to move hundreds of miles without any help on the housing front or commute an hour or more long rides without a Van Pool....

With Servite, SJB, etc you don’t hear about the 1 semester rentals like MD has done.... Maybe they are there and we don’t know it because Sondy of the Times just hates MD so much and seems to Luv SJB who can do no wrong In his eyes.... 🤣🤣

Sondy HATES MD 😂 he seems to have no issues with the seniors that transfer into SJB probably because they’re in LA county.  I’d love to hear that Negro or Thomas would not have gladly taken moss. 
We do not “keep bringing in 1 semester players” that happened the 2018 season and has not happened again. (Moss never played a down at MD) Also, I know it’s already been said 100 times but it was never Mater Dei’s intention to only have those kids who left on campus for a semester. The only reason miller moss was going to be able to come in a finish the graduation requirements is because he was coming from a catholic school that requires the same religion courses. While I do agree that it’s not cool for a player to show up for semester there was an outside force that made the Miller moss situation happen. This is not public info but as soon Miller committed to USC where did Helton send him to prep at...... check the dates.. Fact.

It’s the unfortunate reality of TODAYS HS sports. Kids want to be ready to play in college the day they step on campus and the coaches want that too. 

There are van pools at nearly every private school. Been around for a while. Below is a pic of Servite’s. Sending busses all the way to corona and pico Rivera and they still suck. Smh. 

9C80B34B-0947-4160-B4F8-4FAD2DD8F231.png

• Haha 1

On 9/11/2020 at 10:07 AM, HurricaneNick said:

While I would agree, I know many families from Newport, CDM & south that made the trip to Loyola. All BS aside you guys are a great school & will always attract catholic families from OC. 

& we are ready to go at QB! 

So, MD is ready to go at QB, huh? 

Which transfer were you referring to at this particular time of posting? 

That revolving door on Edinger needs more grease! 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, 1901VeniceCub said:

So, MD is ready to go at QB, huh? 

Which transfer were you referring to at this particular time of posting? 

That revolving door on Edinger needs more grease! 

Yes we’re ready to go at QB!! Depth at QB is Rollo’s favorite!! 

When will Loyola finish a season above .500? Stay tuned! Losing seasons since ‘15 how long will the streak go?!!  Hopefully not as long as our streak against servite! I’ll pray for the cubs my catholic brother!! 😏 

BTW how’s transfer quarterback Brayden Zermeno looking? Kid makes the trip from south county OC! NICE! Too many L’s! 

What a tough division to win in too!! 😭😭😭😂 Time to pull out the SAT scores!!! 😂

DBF661B4-007E-4F4F-9500-92440A901ADA.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m guessing you don’t know the story of Brayden Zermeno. Boy, what a terrific young man and leader! You should be humble, he had a cup of coffee with the Monarchs as a frosh. 

Zermeno is the quintessential Loyola Cub. A smart, multitalented, wholesome, faithful, young man with a desire to lead. 

No coach (Mater Dei, OLU, MV), gave him a shot to lead a team. During his sophomore year, Loyola hired Legendary Cub Alum and former NFL  Scout, Drew Casani as head coach, and former NFL WR Matthew Hatchette as the Cubs’ Offensive Coordinator. Very attractive ti QBs and athletes with next level aspirations.

Loyola was the unlucky recipient of the So Cal QB Transfer Carousel with Miller Moss transferring to Alemany (you guys were pretty pumped to take him until he was ineligible), Finn Collins to San Joaquin Memorial (now at Alemany), Jackson Dadich to Birmingham (now at St. Bernard with Manny Douglas) and two other QBs (Campbell Hall & Santa Monica).

A perfect home was empty for a humble leader like Zermeno to display his talent under a progressive Offensive Mind. As you admitted, Loyola-the school-is attractive to OC families as deep as Newport Beach and CDM.

Zermeno just recently committed to Princeton (Turning down offers from Maryland and SDSU & others), after leading Loyola to their Division Championship as a junior. 

I think Loyola with Zermeno as a returning  starter and team captain, along with  All-Americans Ceyair Wright (Top CB in CA) and Zakhari Spears (Washington Commit) alongside Jacoby Kelly (A Top ‘22 WR), two 6’5 Bookend defensive linemen, a big OL led by Sam Yoon ’22 (6’5 270) and two junior RBs in Harrison Allen (Marcus Allen’s nephew) and Tahj Owens (Terrell Owens’ nephew), Loyola is in good shape (fingers crossed we get a season) to win league and play for another Championship in Drew Casani’s 2nd year. 

4947828E-70BA-4CCD-99AF-C1199311E0B3.jpeg

47B0F4E3-5E40-448F-AE5E-F54B1031801F.jpeg

D546E754-C0C0-4800-80FE-65591EF4673C.jpeg

2CEEA39E-F133-4C90-97FD-44C80F4F114A.jpeg

The future is bright! Getcha popcorn ready! 

29BFDBD7-81E4-4ED5-AE4E-9226807B8707.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, 1901VeniceCub said:

No coach (Mater Dei, OLU, MV), gave him a shot to lead a team. 

Zermeno just recently committed to Princeton (Turning down offers from Maryland and SDSU & others), after leading Loyola to their Division Championship as a junior. 

I’m not knocking the kid at all. As you know I don’t hate on a kid for transferring to a better opportunity. I do think if he was talented enough to lead either of the 3 teams mentioned he would not be at Loyola. Princeton is an elite move. Kid is doing it right, 40 year decision can’t beat that. 

& what division championship? I’m seeing 5th place in the mission league & a 6-7 record. Why did they only play 9 reg season games? (That’s what maxpreps is showing) 

its just another reminder, of what i would love to see California achieve, because Fontana HS was the last California public school to win a natty in 1987, it has all been private/parochial schools for California since then, DLS, MD and Bosco. I want to see a public school achieve that again for the first time in an entire generation. I like to see homegrown talent have success. 

Thats why i made that comment, post, not a single California public school has won a Natty since 1987. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

what division championship? I’m seeing 5th place in the mission league & a 6-7 record. Why did they only play 9 reg season games? (That’s what maxpreps is showing) 

Due to fires, Loyola and Alemany (among many others) only played 9 games. Loyola earned an at-large berth and advanced to the Championship game. Actually, Loyola even hosted the finals on campus. Loyola fell 21-15 to San Juan Hills in the CIF Division IV Championship. 

This coming year, Loyola will return to the Old Angelus League, playing rivals St. Paul, St. Francis and Crespi. Should be fun! 

With all the aforementioned  talent returning...with a bitter taste in their mouth after losing in the finals, I hope these young men get an opportunity to prove their worth! First game vs the most talked about squad in LA: St. Bernard. DBC37B2C-F018-4D9F-8CC9-8BD8E2C53109.jpeg

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, 1901VeniceCub said:

Due to fires, Loyola and Alemany (among many others) only played 9 games. Loyola earned an at-large berth and advanced to the Championship game. Actually, Loyola even hosted the finals on campus. Loyola fell 21-15 to San Juan Hills in the CIF Division IV Championship. 

This coming year, Loyola will return to the Old Angelus League, playing rivals St. Paul, St. Francis and Crespi. Should be fun! 

With all the aforementioned  talent returning...with a bitter taste in their mouth after losing in the finals, I hope these young men get an opportunity to prove their worth! First game vs the most talked about squad in LA: St. Bernard. DBC37B2C-F018-4D9F-8CC9-8BD8E2C53109.jpeg

How is the on campus stadium working out the Cubs. No longer making the trek to the likes of Burbank for a home game. Wouldn’t mind trying to catch a game there sometime.