MD 35 - DLS 21 (F)

DLS_Spartan

4 minutes ago, 1DayPGA said:

In past years I had Direct TV and I would upgrade to get the HS sports package. It would give me games out of S. Cal. (I'm N. Cal) TX and some other states.  It was about $10-12 a month extra I'd order it in August and then I would cancel it at the end of Dec. So, they may be offering the game/channel on that package. For those of you with Direct TV worth inquiring about and then cancel it next month. I moved and now have Comcast. 

This is exactly what I do!... I start it in August and end it after December, That way I get to see all the channels that have all the HSFB games.... :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

I think the message has got to be hit him every time. He's grown a lot already, and is very muscular already. But he's still a soph going against "men". I think this is exactly why DLS must set up the run with quick passes. Get the ball out of his hands early, then let his athletism shine later on... if that's possible. Tall task for the young man. But he's up for the challenge, win or lose.

I agree with you. He's grown not just physically but experience wise. I think it was a smart thing bringing him up last year as a freshman and giving him some reps. to get that feeling of playing in the state game against MD.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blueliner said:

I think the message has got to be hit him every time. He's grown a lot already, and is very muscular already. But he's still a soph going against "men". I think this is exactly why DLS must set up the run with quick passes. Get the ball out of his hands early, then let his athletism shine later on... if that's possible. Tall task for the young man. But he's up for the challenge, win or lose.

#20 has improved tremendously this year, he is a totally different player and he has really taken command of the offense... You hit the nail on the head with getting rid of the ball quickly, he will have to make plays with the Pitch/Pass Option plays and will have to be decisive when to pull the ball back and keep it for big gains....

The MD speed and Physicality on Defense will be the big Difference for him.... He has got to find a way to move the ball and put points on the board!.... Go Spartans!... :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1DayPGA said:

I agree with you. He's grown not just physically but experience wise. I think it was a smart thing bringing him up last year as a freshman and giving him some reps. to get that feeling of playing in the state game against MD.

I totally forgot about that.  Having played last year, even in mop up duty, will serve him well this year.

9 hours ago, Blueliner said:

He’s going to be doubled by a 245 lb center a 280 lb guard. Both have schollys (one to Cal). Gotta neutralize the DTs and put the DEs on an island to make decisions. So we have a chance IFff our center and both guards do their jobs...really well.

MD's front 7 is built to stop running schemes like the veer and spread option.

• 3 300+lbs down linemen
  • 4 210 LBs that are closer to SS then LB. they are fast and read the run very well
  • 6 DB that can cover 4* WR all day.

MD's defense will have trouble with teams that can line up and move the DL back a foot...dont think DLS has that kind of Oline

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Eddyr2 said:

• 3 300+lbs down linemen
  • 4 210 LBs that are closer to SS then LB. they are fast and read the run very well

MD's defense will have trouble with teams that can line up and move the DL back a foot...dont think DLS has that kind of Oline

I agree with you 110%, brother. When I think of this 2018 MD defense I think of '09 DBP, '11 STA, '13 SJB, and '17 MD. UGH. Those D- lines were in the DLS kitchen all night respectively. That's why I know that Coach A isn't going to just line up and play off of the dive all night long. DLS will have a plan; wrinkles that MD hasn't seen before. I guarantee it. Don't get me wrong, they're not going to come out and line up in the spread...or will they? ;)  But they have talent at the skill positions. They also have a stud senior QB who's maybe been preparing for a few snaps or drives just for this game? Just sayin'. Remember that Fulp put up video game numbers at Northgate as a junior. I get it that it's NG, but still impressive stats. Like I've said from the start, DLS will pull out the stops and will go down swinging.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eddyr2 said:

• 3 300+lbs down linemen

No wonder they're so good. They get two extra players!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Here’s a take from someone who went against both. First off, BG game 1 vs game 4 saw a bunch of changes, so not really comparing apples to apples here. 

Vs MD - you could argue either way, but game was much closer in 1st half. Could have been 14-7 or even 7-7. We had a ton of 1st timers, not transferred in 1st timers to our team, but 1st time under the microscope dudes. 

Vs DLS - Could have easily been 7-0 heading into half. Offense finally finding their identity. 

Both games - big plays killed us & both teams have dudes that can make them

MD DL is good, but don’t discredit DLS OL. 

Keys to game:

MD- who’s will be suspended? (Stache went to bed with the devil & has to deal with all that comes with that)

DLS - be patient and do what you do best 

Both - DLS out of character, had a few silly penalties against us & MD has picked up their share of personal’s - which team keeps its poise and which loses it and creates opportunities for the other

Both - need to limit the “big plays”, but I’d have to give MD the edge in ability to make them (assuming half the O isn’t suspended)

Never thought I’d see the day, but I’m pulling for DLS.  Winning last year, allowed me to lower my guard & respect what the program does.  MD is a whole different story - not going to open that can.  

I think people discredit DLS style way to much & I used to be in that group.  Not sexy, just blue collar hard working style.  DLS linemen (both sides) not going to turn any heads at a camp/combine but they play hard and with a lot of heart. It allows them to play beyond their physical limits. DLS needs to limit the big hitters, control the game, go after their dudes - wear them down & frustrate them & limit mistakes.  Just keep feeding To’oto’o & Garrett then let Hale make a few plays.  I don’t expect another high scoring State game, much more like MD/SJB II.  ALso expect at least a handful of IE Ducks...oops I mean MD players, out for  this game.  

Going with 24-21 DLS on a late game winning FG.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Gridiron Godfather said:

Here’s a take from someone who went against both. First off, BG game 1 vs game 4 saw a bunch of changes, so not really comparing apples to apples here. 

Vs MD - you could argue either way, but game was much closer in 1st half. Could have been 14-7 or even 7-7. We had a ton of 1st timers, not transferred in 1st timers to our team, but 1st time under the microscope dudes. 

Vs DLS - Could have easily been 7-0 heading into half. Offense finally finding their identity. 

Both games - big plays killed us & both teams have dudes that can make them

Keys to game:

MD- who’s will be suspended? (Stache went to bed with the devil & has to deal with all that comes with that)

Both - DLS out of character, had a few silly penalties against us & MD has picked up their share of personal’s - which team keeps its poise and which loses it and creates opportunities for the other

Both - need to limit the “big plays”, but I’d have to give MD the edge in ability to make them (assuming half the O isn’t suspended)

Never thought I’d see the day, but I’m pulling for DLS.  Winning last year, allowed me to lower my guard & respect what the program does.  MD is a whole different story - not going to open that can.  

I think people discredit DLS style way to much & I used to be in that group.  Not sexy, just blue collar hard working style.  DLS linemen (both sides) not going to turn any heads at a camp/combine but they play hard and with a lot of heart. It allows them to play beyond their physical limits. DLS needs to limit the big hitters, control the game, go after their dudes - wear them down & frustrate them & limit mistakes.  Just keep feeding To’oto’o & Garrett then let Hale make a few plays.  I don’t expect another high scoring State game, much more like MD/SJB II.  ALso expect at least a handful of IE Ducks...oops I mean MD players, out for  this game.  

Awesome Post!!!!... When @Blueliner and @PrepGridiron and I met up with you at halftime of the BG and DLS game, you gave us some terrific insights into BG and I totally understand why they came out of the gate the way they did... I saw a team that night that can play with anyone!... BG Played a Monster Schedule, they could easily be a 1 loss team with that only loss to #1 MD!

You Nailed it on the first half of that MD game... That was a physical half of football and BG Missed that Open pass in the end Zone that would have swung the momentum... The issue for BG though was their Offence could do nothing after that, and MD started making Big Plays and Game Over... 

This is the exact scenario I am worried about tomorrow... I feel it will be a tight defensive game in the first have and then teams will start breaking some plays... I believe the team that hits 3 or 4 Big Plays will win this game... I too think it has to be a close Low Scoring game for DLS to win...

I am hoping to see a 28-21 DLS win, for Sentimental reasons of course! ... :) 

Congrats on Your State Tile and a Great season!... After a shaky first 2 games, your Boys Played Terrific and they should be proud of their season!!!! I personally have become a Big Fan!!!

P.S... Your coach makes me Nervous, he seems very Angry on the Sideline!.... :) :) 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

Awesome Post!!!!... When @Blueliner and @PrepGridiron and I met up with you at halftime of the BG and DLS game, you gave us some terrific insights into BG and I totally understand why they came out of the gate the way they did... I saw a team that night that can play with anyone!... BG Played a Monster Schedule, they could easily be a 1 loss team with that only loss to #1 MD!

You Nailed it on the first half of that MD game... That was a physical half of football and BG Missed that Open pass in the end Zone that would have swung the momentum... The issue for BG though was their Offence could do nothing after that, and MD started making Big Plays and Game Over... 

This is the exact scenario I am worried about tomorrow... I feel it will be a tight defensive game in the first have and then teams will start breaking some plays... I believe the team that hits 3 or 4 Big Plays will win this game... I too think it has to be a close Low Scoring game for DLS to win...

I am hoping to see a 28-21 DLS win, for Sentimental reasons of course! ... :) 

Congrats on Your State Tile and a Great season!... After a shaky first 2 games, your Boys Played Terrific and they should be proud of their season!!!! I personally have become a Big Fan!!!

P.S... Your coach makes me Nervous, he seems very Angry on the Sideline!.... :) :) 

Appreciate it. 

Really took us 4 games to figure things out & local schedule helped for sure in doing that. Ended the year locally with the #1 QB (yds & TD’s), the #6 & #10 rushers (combined had 1 fewer attempts then the #1 guy), #1 & #4 WR (yds) & our RB set a recorded with 6 TD’s in the  State Championship.  

You guys keep it close & character will bring it home in the 2nd half. 

And you just got to get to know our coach.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gridiron Godfather said:

the veer doesnt work if the DT gets push in the A gaps...MD's NG is really good at getting push. MD's ends DE's are the size of most DT's but can mover really well. i have only seen 2 OL push them around and one of the OLs couldnt to it 2 times 

Keys to game:

Lets lay off the sell your soul to the devil talk before i have to big up a mug shot from Christmas 2016

dont see it being a huge deal...

Bru McCoy

Dont be jelly that the IE Ducks don't want to play in the 702 anymore...

MD will be fine...

• Like 1

Mater Dei set to defend CIF Open Division state football title against an improved De La Salle

DEC 07, 2018 | 1:50 PM 

Mater Dei set to defend CIF Open Division state football title against an improved De La Salle
Mater Dei running back Shakobe Harper, hurdling an IMG Academy defender earlier this season, has 1,150 yards rushing and 17 touchdowns this season. (Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times)

It’s rematch time in the CIF state championship Open Division football bowl game on Saturday night at Cerritos College.

Seven-time state champion Concord De La Salle (12-0) and defending champion Santa Ana Mater Dei (12-2) are facing off for the second year in a row in the 8 p.m. final. Last season, Mater Dei won 52-21.

ADVERTISEMENT

If the Monarchs score that many points Saturday, Mater Dei coach Bruce Rollinson would probably shave off his mustache in celebration because De La Salle's defense this season is much improved. A 14-0 season-opening win over high-scoring Folsom should be a warning to prevent any Mater Dei overconfidence.

“We've been relying on defense all season,” De La Salle coach Justin Alumbaugh said.

Alumbaugh is in his sixth season as head coach since taking over for the legendary Bob Ladouceur, who continues to help out as an assistant coach. Due to wildfires in Northern California and poor air quality, the Spartans went three weeks without playing a game and missed many days of practice. A 42-7 win over Brentwood Liberty last week knocked off any rust.

Here’s a look at players to watch in a game that will decide the best football team in California.

Bru McCoy, Mater Dei, receiver: The consensus No. 1 senior in California is a player feared by opponents on almost every offensive play. Alumbaugh remembers him from last season. “I’m assuming he's better, and he was pretty good," he said. McCoy has caught 17 touchdown passes and has five sacks playing linebacker.

Mater Dei receiver Bru McCoy signals a first down after making a catch against IMG Adademy earlier this season.
Mater Dei receiver Bru McCoy signals a first down after making a catch against IMG Adademy earlier this season. (Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times)

Amir Wallace, De La Salle, cornerback: He is likely to cover McCoy. Wallace shut down one of the state’s best receivers, Joe Ngata of Folsom, limiting him to six catches and 50 yards. At 6-feet-1, he has the size to challenge McCoy on jump balls.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bryce Young, Mater Dei, quarterback: JT Daniels led Mater Dei to a 15-0 record last season. Young, a junior, has the Monarchs in position for a second consecutive state championship. He has passed for 3,550 yards and 37 touchdowns. It will be his decisions on whether to take off and run or stay in the pocket that could decide this game.

Henry To’oto’o, De La Salle, linebacker: At 6-2 and 225 pounds, To’oto’o is easy to spot on defense. He’s the one making tackle after tackle. If the Spartans are to put pressure on Mater Dei, he must help stop the Monarchs’ rushing attack.

Shakobe Harper, Mater Dei, running back: If there’s an unsung hero this season for the Monarchs, it’s Harper, who has rushed for 1,150 yards and 17 touchdowns. He was supposed to lose his starting position to Sean Dollars, a transfer from Rancho Cucamonga. Harper instead has been a key player in creating opportunities for the passing game by picking up the tough yards inside.

Beau Tagaloa, De La Salle, lineman: The younger brother of UCLA center Boss Tagaloa will be counted on to deal with Mater Dei’s physicality up front and help the Spartans execute their veer attack on offense as well as stop the run on defense.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eddyr2 said:

the veer doesnt work if the DT gets push in the A gaps...MD's NG is really good at getting push. MD's ends DE's are the size of most DT's but can mover really well. i have only seen 2 OL push them around and one of the OLs couldnt to it 2 times 

Lets lay off the sell your soul to the devil talk before i have to big up a mug shot from Christmas 2016

dont see it being a huge deal...

Bru McCoy

Dont be jelly that the IE Ducks don't want to play in the 702 anymore...

MD will be fine...

Keep drinking the tainted Kool-Aid. ;)

• Haha 1