MD 35 - DLS 21 (F)

DLS_Spartan

15 hours ago, Pops said:

That’s not very many points for DLS 

I think the spread is fair or more than fair, I just see DLS scoring more than 10 — they haven’t scored that few in a game west of Florida since 2005 and this offense much better than that one 

I’m not doubting what you’re saying about MD defense but they’d need to be as advertised and then play well to deliver that I think 

14 is not many points for Cen10. 13 is not many points for SJB. 7 is not many points for JSerra. 0 is not many points for Gorman.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Pops said:

hat’s not very many points for DLS 

I think the spread is fair or more than fair, I just see DLS scoring more than 10 — they haven’t scored that few in a game west of Florida since 2005 and this offense much better than that one 

I think Nevada is slightly west of Florida.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

A+ work, gentlemen. Funny and insightful. 

Looking at 247sports' recruiting database, it's hard to be hopeful of a Spartan win, but I guess there's more glory in it if they do. 

All but one of DLS's linemen play both ways. Those kids are gonna get tired against a team like MD. Plus MD has some big, physical receivers and some tough RBs. I'm worried about sloppy tackling late in the game. We saw it against STA and ET. DLS LB's are very good. So that should help a lot. But still. 

Agree with all 

would just add that in my experience as a closer observer than now, DLS has way more 2-way players than most top national programs but most of those guys really go 1 1/2 ways with strategic reserves seeing key series even in first half 

that, and DLS conditioning, makes me less worried than most about the guys going both ways 

I think our own @GloryDays was one of those strategic reserves — didn’t start but saw lots of action, including this weekends 20th anniversary of him sacking MD QB on final drive in ‘98 to secure the win in first epic clash between these stories programs 

sorry @Eddyr2 but if not for glory how life might have been different — your wife would probably be hotter to start 

🤣

PS Jk - I’m sure Mrs eddy is lovely 

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, LT4Spartan06 said:

No Guarantee, but if you order the streaming service Sling they carry NBC Sports Bay area. Its only 9.99 per month for about 70 channels. Best part is that you can get Sling, watch the game and then cancel the service. Sling pro-rates it so it would be 9.99/30 days... not bad

Thanks

sounds like a lot of work but may be my only option 

they offer those programs specifically for guys like me that forget to cancel for about 7 years 

• Haha 1

On 12/5/2018 at 8:08 PM, AztecPadre said:

Bottom line is this: MD is not as good as last year... not nearly. DLS from what we are told ( I have only seen them on film ) is better than last year so logic would dictate this game should be closer than last. IMO there are a couple of scenarios that can make it interesting:

DLS will have to rely on their defensive quickness; lots of stunts and hitting the gaps...Quickly. They are also going to need lots of lateral movement by their LB's to help defend the "quick out to the flats" air show MD is so good at. CC did a very good job of that and the MD offense had to work hard for what they got. Offensively... Eddy nailed it in his earlier post. If they set up the run with an established passing game from the outset, they will have some success. 

From MD's standpoint, they need to draw from what they learned from and how they matured after the IMG and both Bosco experiences. That is an asset that DLS does not have. These are two similar teams in that they are more finesse than power relative to the IMG, Bosco type teams. If MD can get past the stupid penalty bug, ( one of their achilles heels ) they have the athletes to out finesse DLS and that will be a difference maker in the first half. Both teams are very well conditioned which should work in favor of MD later in the game with more Spartans having to go both ways.

While I favor MD... this game somewhat reminds me of the first DLS  Poly game so I am hoping as I posted earlier, that we will be hanging around in the 4th Qtr.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pops said:

Agree with all 

would just add that in my experience as a closer observer than now, DLS has way more 2-way players than most top national programs but most of those guys really go 1 1/2 ways with strategic reserves seeing key series even in first half 

that, and DLS conditioning, makes me less worried than most about the guys going both ways 

I think our own @GloryDays was one of those strategic reserves — didn’t start but saw lots of action, including this weekends 20th anniversary of him sacking MD QB on final drive in ‘98 to secure the win in first epic clash between these stories programs 

sorry @Eddyr2 but if not for glory how life might have been different — your wife would probably be hotter to start 

🤣

That was Funny!!... 🙂... I Do have to say Pop's, while we disagree on a certain team, I do enjoy your posts, and appreciate your HSFB Knowledge!... 🙂...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gospeeder said:

Bottom line is this: MD is not as good as last year... not nearly. DLS from what we are told ( I have only seen them on film ) is better than last year so logic would dictate this game should be closer than last. IMO there are a couple of scenarios that can make it interesting:

DLS will have to rely on their defensive quickness; lots of stunts and hitting the gaps...Quickly. They are also going to need lots of lateral movement by their LB's to help defend the "quick out to the flats" air show MD is so good at. CC did a very good job of that and the MD offense had to work hard for what they got. Offensively... Eddy nailed it in his earlier post. If they set up the run with an established passing game from the outset, they will have some success. 

From MD's standpoint, they need to draw from what they learned from and how they matured after the IMG and both Bosco experiences. That is an asset that DLS does not have. These are two similar teams in that they are more finesse than power relative to the IMG, Bosco type teams. If MD can get past the stupid penalty bug, ( one of their achilles heels ) they have the athletes to out finesse DLS and that will be a difference maker in the first half. Both teams are very well conditioned which should work in favor of MD later in the game with more Spartans having to go both ways.

While I favor MD... this game somewhat reminds me of the first DLS  Poly game so I am hoping as I posted earlier, that we will be hanging around in the 4th Qtr.

This is a Terrific Post!.... I Like what you are saying about the DLS D... I Feel like the D and MD's penchant for penalties will keep DLS in the game... My concern is if the Offense can move the ball and put Points on the board... MD's defense is so fast and so physical, If DLS starts going 3 and out on offense, DLS Defense will wear down and MD will hit some big plays and Game over...

I do see a somewhat defensive battle though and I think it will come down to who's Offense can hit 3 or 4 Big Plays, and of course turnovers.... I am not trying to predict a winner because MD is the Prohibitive Favorite... I Just think for DLS to win its got to be like 21-17 type of game... The only team that got to 30 on MD was SJB, and they didn't even come close to that the 2nd time they played... 

I am hoping for 28-21 DLS in a Shocker... Would love to see that repeat of 98.... Last time "The Streak" was on the line, This time MD is trying to be the only team other then DLS to win Back To Back Opens... Oddly enough, 20 years later MD is once again the Top Dog and DLS trying to Prove they can Beat So Cal's Best.... :) 

Thank Goodness for the Open Bowl, whoever wins, there will be no Dispute who is #1 in CA....

• Thanks 1

Hale will be the key IMO and they will need some production from the outside receivers. Foskey might be there once or twice, but MD isnt retarded so kinda figure they’ll take that away.

Don’t see the dive being a much of a factor either. MD will close that down. Hale needs to put on a Bastianelli type performance for this to be close and keep the defense honest. I actually have a feeling this could be closer game than expected.

To me this game is Alambuagh’s chance to start making his own mark and is a signature game. There has to be some seperation from the Lad shadow. That will obviously always be there and is a huge part of the program. But it is the past and not the future. As a program they need to get over that hump in a big time game against a big time opponent and this is a is a chance to pull it off.

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2018 at 6:22 PM, Eddyr2 said:

If MD #75 gets and push on the DLS center...any like and inch...game over...MD will line up in cover zero and load the box...ever since MD moved their strong side OLB to FS their defense has been lights out...

He’s going to be doubled by a 245 lb center a 280 lb guard. Both have schollys (one to Cal). Gotta neutralize the DTs and put the DEs on an island to make decisions. So we have a chance IFff our center and both guards do their jobs...really well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blueliner said:

He’s going to be doubled by a 245 lb center a 280 lb guard. Both have schollys (one to Cal). Gotta neutralize the DTs and put the DEs on an island to make decisions. So we have a chance IFff our center and both guards do their jobs...really well.

Excellent analysis as were the several previous posts.   Fortunately all the top Ca teams will have played each other somewhat, so no one can complain.  IMO DLS Defense (while very good) is no IMG or SJB Defense.  I could be wrong, but The Bishop got 21 and Buchanan got 24. Bru should be a difference maker however DLS did shut down Ngate, but MD has more options than the devil, and more film on how DLS will possibly scheme to take Bru out of the equation 

If the DLS O-line is preoccupied with the MD D- line and not getting to the second level, then the dive is going nowhere.  MD speed will then feast on the QB keeper or pitch man.  DLS will need to be successful throwing, and I don’t see that happening (see Cen10 and SJB).

if DLS pulls it off Hollywood will have the perfect movie, and Justin will have emerged from “The Shadow”. 

Who wouldn’t like like to have a pregame pic taken with The Stache and The Shadow. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Excellent analysis as were the several previous posts.   Fortunately all the top Ca teams will have played each other somewhat, so no one can complain.  IMO DLS Defense (while very good) is no IMG or SJB Defense.  I could be wrong, but The Bishop got 21 and Buchanan got 24. Bru should be a difference maker however DLS his shut down Ngate, but MD has more options than the devil, and more film on how DLS will possobly scheme to take Bru out of the equation 

If the DLS o line is preoccupied with the MD D- line and not getting to the second level, then the dive is going nowhere.  MD speed will then feast on the QB keeper or pitch man.  DLS will need to be successful throwing, and I don’t see that happening (see Cen10 and SJB).

if DLS pulls it off Hollywood will have the perfect movie, and Justin will have emerged from “The Shadow”. 

Who wouldn’t like like to have a pregame pic taken with The Stache and The Shadow. 

🤣...The Stache and Shadow!

Youre dead on. The MD defensive speed is going to be ridiculous. Unlike anything Sparty has seen this year. I also agree, even if the OL plays well, Hale is going to have to be faster than he’s ever been tomorrow. He’s going to have to be more deceptive than he’s ever been, and make the best decisions of his football life....and make them quickly in the face of large kids with croooked numbers trying to squash him. AND he’s going to have to show the world that he’s a true dual threat Qb by airing it out early and often against the best secondary in the country. If he’s halfway successful, then just maybe, Sparty might have a shot. Not too tall a task for a sophomore in the biggest game of his life is it?🤣🤔

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

Youre dead on. The MD defensive speed is going to be ridiculous. Unlike anything Sparty has seen this year. I also agree, even if the OL plays well, Hale is going to have to be faster than he’s ever been tomorrow. He’s going to have to be more deceptive than he’s ever been, and make the best decisions of his football life....and make them quickly in the face of large kids with croooked numbers trying to squash him. AND he’s going to have to show the world that he’s a true dual threat Qb by airing it out early and often against the best secondary in the country. If he’s halfway successful, then just maybe, Sparty might have a shot. Not too tall a task for a sophomore is it?🤣🤔

Slow down my friend. You may have a heart attack before half time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blueliner said:

Youre dead on. The MD defensive speed is going to be ridiculous. Unlike anything Sparty has seen this year. I also agree, even if the OL plays well, Hale is going to have to be faster than he’s ever been tomorrow. He’s going to have to be more deceptive than he’s ever been, and make the best decisions of his football life....and make them quickly in the face of large kids with croooked numbers trying to squash him. AND he’s going to have to show the world that he’s a true dual threat Qb by airing it out early and often against the best secondary in the country. If he’s halfway successful, then just maybe, Sparty might have a shot. Not too tall a task for a sophomore in the biggest game of his life is it?🤣🤔

How durable do you think Hale is? I believe he going to get crunched on the pitch all game with ball or not.

14 hours ago, Pops said:

Agree with all 

🤣

you are getting to block levels...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AztecPadre said:

I have Xfinity/Comcast and its on channel 720.  From my understanding, the only folks who will not get it are those who have Direct TV.

This is a damn shame.  It's on TV only if you watch it at home.  WTF?  Can't stream it because of licensing issues and can only watch in home.  MF'ers.  The only way I can watch it is to have my sister record it first and then I can watch the recording.  

Who in the hell would make it a licensing requirement that you can only watch in home?  Satanic evil bastards is what they are.  

Glad that you can watch it though.  😉

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

This is a damn shame.  It's on TV only if you watch it at home.  WTF?  Can't stream it because of licensing issues and can only watch in home.  MF'ers.  The only way I can watch it is to have my sister record it first and then I can watch the recording.  

Who in the hell would make it a licensing requirement that you can only watch in home?  Satanic evil bastards is what they are.  

Glad that you can watch it though.  😉

1 hour ago, AztecPadre said:

I have Xfinity/Comcast and its on channel 720.  From my understanding, the only folks who will not get it are those who have Direct TV.

In past years I had Direct TV and I would upgrade to get the HS sports package. It would give me games out of S. Cal. (I'm N. Cal) TX and some other states.  It was about $10-12 a month extra I'd order it in August and then I would cancel it at the end of Dec. So, they may be offering the game/channel on that package. For those of you with Direct TV worth inquiring about and then cancel it next month. I moved and now have Comcast. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ararar said:

How durable do you think Hale is? I believe he going to get crunched on the pitch all game with ball or not.

I think the message has got to be hit him every time. He's grown a lot already, and is very muscular already. But he's still a soph going against "men". I think this is exactly why DLS must set up the run with quick passes. Get the ball out of his hands early, then let his athletism shine later on... if that's possible. Tall task for the young man. But he's up for the challenge, win or lose.

• Like 2