De La Salle defeats Folsom 42-27

DLS_Spartan

Ah, great High School game last night! What a crowd! Was so fun to be at.

My takeaways: DLS played great and handled the LOS, which we figured. They're QB was mediocre at best, but they're RB's and line were great, and that was the difference. They're defense was also very solid overall.

Folsom got off to a slow start and made some killer mistakes You can't do that against DLS. They did, however, show some resilience by cleaning up some things and putting points on the board. If they hadn't given up a 3rd and 21 hail mary, the game was likely to become very interesting. That sealed it IMO.  Ngata was injured to a point where Folsom didn't even try to run the ball. Even in plays where he caught passes, he was visibly shaken. No way to beat DLS without him. Badger was amazing and a man among boys. He absolutely ABUSED Hearns. He showed by he is one of the top WRs in the country.

A few tidbits to come away with:

Folsom scored 27 points against DLS. STA scored 24

Folsom threw the ball very effectively against DLS. They have been unable to do so in the past. If Ngata was healthy and they had somewhat of a running game, this game could have been interesting. 

Overall, it was a fun game to watch. After the slow start, Folsom got it going on offense and made it fun. I actually thought, despite the points, Folsom played well on defense. They didn't give up many big plays and just succumbed to the ground and pound of the veer, which most people (not Academies) do. 

In other Southern CA news, buried on page 27 of the funny pages:

San Diego D1AA #2 tier power Cathedral Catholic is blown out by Helix 45-27.

Cathedral Catholic ripped Centennial last week in one of the San Diego area's best wins in years. Helix #OneUps the Souther Section and BLOWS out Cathedral. 

Crazy stuff in the D1AA world in San Diego!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Block may not recover and he may move to Ga and take up snow skiing and eat boiled peanuts.  

You must be talking about the Republic of Georgia if you are talking about snow skiing.  We did teach them about boiled peanuts during some really big cultural exchanges in 1990 so he might can get them there.

Enjoyed sushi and the game with ThunderRam and his wife. Good people!!😎👊 

The game was over when it was 28-0. Although, it should have never come to it, Badger pushed Coby down in the end zone for that score before half. The game was over AGAIN when it was 42-14 in the 4th. Great atmosphere though. Might have been the best NorCal crowd/atmosphere that I’ve experienced...until Folsom was down by 28🤣

Badger’s a beast. 15 catches at least. Too bad for Ngata. I hope he’s ok. The Folsom kicker kicks excellent onside kicks. The beast-kid #40 has A) has a lot to learn still...as I knew was the case going in. B)needs to have an attitude adjustment. I watched him all game and he’s pretty much a poor sport. Chippy and took a huge PF at the end to eliminate one final drive for Folsom. I think he’s used to being “the man” and doesn’t realize that STA had 10 guys his size and athleticism. He’s going to be good if he can get his attitude right. 

Hale had 4 TDs. Garrett, Coby and the OL owned the LOS. Didn’t punt all game...and I believe scored on every possession minus the running out the clock. DBs need a lot of work on tackling...and covering for that matter. DL needs to get more pressure. LBs held their own.

Minus the successful onsides kicks, the game went pretty much as I/we said it would/expected. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, jamzz94549 said:

Dude, are you saying I’m this idiot block/G61? Seriously? I went to DLS for 2 years before transferring to Alhambra due to family issues. Class of ‘87 with Tuan Van Lee, Mike Gibson, Greg Pron, Etc. This is just the first time I’ve ever posted on this site and only post sparingly at NCP

I’m so old I probably watched you play with Lee, Gibson and Pron. Been watching DLS since 1981.. Seen A LOT of kids go through DLS.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, frankyjames said:

My takeaways: DLS played great and handled the LOS, which we figured. They're QB was mediocre at best, but they're RB's and line were great, and that was the difference. They're defense was also very solid overall.

Folsom got off to a slow start and made some killer mistakes You can't do that against DLS. They did, however, show some resilience by cleaning up some things and putting points on the board. If they hadn't given up a 3rd and 21 hail mary, the game was likely to become very interesting. That sealed it IMO.  Ngata was injured to a point where Folsom didn't even try to run the ball. Even in plays where he caught passes, he was visibly shaken. No way to beat DLS without him. Badger was amazing and a man among boys. He absolutely ABUSED Hearns. He showed by he is one of the top WRs in the country.

Folsom threw the ball very effectively against DLS. They have been unable to do so in the past. If Ngata was healthy and they had somewhat of a running game, this game could have been interesting. 

Overall, it was a fun game to watch. After the slow start, Folsom got it going on offense and made it fun. I actually thought, despite the points, Folsom played well on defense. They didn't give up many big plays and just succumbed to the ground and pound of the veer, which most people (not Academies) do. 

Cathedral Catholic ripped Centennial last week in one of the San Diego area's best wins in years. Helix #OneUps the Souther Section and BLOWS out Cathedral. 

Looks like if DLS runs the table in NorCal, I can use the "NorCal baby seal slap dicks" line for another year. LOL!!! 

• Haha 1

Blockhead was at the game and probably on the Folsom sidelines since he’s listed on the Max Preps website as the “Bulldogs Allstar Reporter!” In my opinion the game never should have been that close. With DLS up 28-0 it was over. They gave Folsom hope by giving up that stupid TD on the last play before the half. They came out flat in the 3rd and gave up another td to start the third making it 28-14. At 42-14 they again got sloppy and let Folsom score and then recover those onside kicks. Credit Folsom for not quitting but DLS took their foot off Folsom’s throat and let them back in the game. If they played the 2nd half have like the 1st, game should have been 56-14.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

Enjoyed sushi and the game with ThunderRam and his wife. Good people!!😎👊 

The game was over when it was 28-0. Although, it should have never come to it, Badger pushed Coby down in the end zone for that score before half. The game was over AGAIN when it was 42-14 in the 4th. Great atmosphere though. Might have been the best NorCal crowd/atmosphere that I’ve experienced...until Folsom was down by 28🤣

Badger’s a beast. 15 catches at least. Too bad for Ngata. I hope he’s ok. The Folsom kicker kicks excellent onside kicks. The beast-kid #40 has A) has a lot to learn still...as I knew was the case going in. B)needs to have an attitude adjustment. I watched him all game and he’s pretty much a poor sport. Chippy and took a huge PF at the end to eliminate one final drive for Folsom. I think he’s used to being “the man” and doesn’t realize that STA had 10 guys his size and athleticism. He’s going to be good if he can get his attitude right. 

Hale had 4 TDs. Garrett, Coby and the OL owned the LOS. Didn’t punt all game...and I believe scored on every possession minus the running out the clock. DBs need a lot of work on tackling...and covering for that matter. DL needs to get more pressure. LBs held their own.

Minus the successful onsides kicks, the game went pretty much as I/we said it would/expected. 

Looking ahead, your right about the db's. They definitely need to hyper improve in all phases if they play MD or SJB. These kids stll can't wrap up. LB's are a year away. D-line is stout

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Looking ahead, your right about the db's. They definitely need to hyper improve in all phases if they play MD or SJB. These kids stll can't wrap up. LB's are a year away. D-line is stout

Need hyper-improvement across the board to have a chance against the academies. MD and SJB would do bad things to DLS if the game was played today. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blueliner said:

Need hyper-improvement across the board to have a chance against the academies. MD and SJB would do bad things to DLS if the game was played today. 

Yep . That wasn't pretty in second half the way Defense, special teams played. Offensive play calling imop is not the best, but they can get away with it against a team like Folsom. Spartans have the look of being a young inexperienced team, though with a lot of promise and upside. I just hope some teams coming up on their schedule can push them  into getting ready for what awaits

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Yep . That wasn't pretty in second half the way Defense, special teams played. Offensive play calling imop is not the best, but they can get away with it against a team like Folsom. Spartans have the look of being a young inexperienced team, though with a lot of promise and upside. I just hope some teams coming up on their schedule can push them  into getting ready for what awaits

I agree 100%. Ugly second half (mostly the 4th). DLS should be really good NEXT year. They will have a LOT coming back, and there are talented kids chomping at the bit for PT right now. But in the meantime, they've gotta continue to progress significantly to compete with SoCal. Buchannan next week with K. Milton. That'll present a challenge. But after that...….

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wosinc said:

What’s the over/under on how many posts it takes block to start spinning this as a Folsom win?

I say 4.

3 hours ago, frankyjames said:

One ...

• Haha 5

27 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Agreed! I thought the play calling went very vanilla. I understand running the clock to keep Folsom’s offense off the field but veer right then veer left got boring. Even on a few long 3rd downs, run right or left? One or two times I thought Folsom was ripe for a Y Pop but it never happened. Oh well! 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DLS350 said:

Agreed! I thought the play calling went very vanilla. I understand running the clock to keep Folsom’s offense off the field but veer right then veer left got boring. Even on a few long 3rd downs, run right or left? One or two times I thought Folsom was ripe for a Y Pop but it never happened. Oh well! 

DLS’s Staple Y Pop play has been non existent this year.... My guess is they don’t have a TE that they trust can break it....

At the STA game there were no defenders beyond 6 yards of the LOS virtually the whole game and that play was a TD waiting to happen....

Instead they ran the ball or threw to the sidelines.... 

It doesn’t surprise me they kept the ball on the ground against Folsom.... Folsom is not a physical team at all and DLS lines always dominate them....

Seeing DLS Play STA in person this year, I knew DLS vs Folsom would not be competitive....  Folsom just can’t handle the speed and Physical play of DLS, which is why this game was 42-14 in the 4th quarter and never in doubt....

• Like 5