Olympic Gold medals by state.

954gator

19 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

He showed to Hilter Americans are better than Germans.

😂really 

Ironically, Jesse Owens and his African-American teammates were allowed to travel with and stay in the same hotel as whites in Germany - back in the United States, they did not have such privileges.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ararar said:

😂really 

Ironically, Jesse Owens and his African-American teammates were allowed to travel with and stay in the same hotel as whites in Germany - back in the United States, they did not have such privileges.

But we didn't learn about that in history classes in Kentucky.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ararar said:

😂really 

image.jpeg.d6cec5e0af13bd299b98a3ac9b8ea2f3.jpeg

At the 1936 Olympics, Jesse Owens was befriended by German long jumper, Luz Long, who became a like a brother to Owens.  He actually helped Owens win gold in the long jump by giving him advice during the qualifying round. This is the transcript of his last letter to Owens before he was killed in WWII having been drafted into the German army.

Here’s the transcript of the last letter to Owens by Long:

I am here, Jesse, where it seems there is only the dry sand and the wet blood. I do not fear so much for myself, my friend Jesse, I fear for my woman who is home, and my young son Karl, who has never really known his father.

My heart tells me, if I be honest with you, that this is the last letter I shall ever write. If it is so, I ask you something. It is something so very important to me. It is you go to Germany when this war is done, someday find my Karl, and tell him about his father. Tell him, Jesse, what times were like when we were not separated by war. I am saying – tell him how things can be between men on this earth.

If you do this something for me, this thing that I need the most to know will be done, I do something for you, now. I tell you something I know you want to hear. And it is true.

That hour in Berlin when I first spoke to you, when you had your knee upon the ground, I knew that you were in prayer.

Then I not know how I know. Now I do. I know it is never by chance that we come together. I come to you that hour in 1936 for purpose more than der Berliner Olympiade.

And you, I believe, will read this letter, while it should not be possible to reach you ever, for purpose more even than our friendship.

I believe this shall come about because I think now that God will make it come about. This is what I have to tell you, Jesse.

I think I might believe in God.

And I pray to him that, even while it should not be possible for this to reach you ever, these words I write will still be read by you.

Your brother, Luz

• Thanks 4
  • Like 5

38 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

This was your takeaway from Jesse Owens winning?

Not the obvious, real takeaway?

Not surprising.

Exactly. It is obvious that Owens didn't just represent Americans in his success at the Berlin Olympics.

More specifically, he is known for representing all people who were born in Alabama and moved to Cleveland at age 9. He showed that all Alabama/Ohio transients are better athletes than Germans. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ararar said:

😂really 

… and a “top secret” ultra talented German 4x100 relay was preparing to beat the US squad, leaving Glickman off the team in Berlin.  😞 
Owens pleaded to let Glickman and another teammate compete, but the message was clear.  

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

@golfaddict1 @954gator

Gold medal for Kendall Ellis in women's 4x400 relay.

She got switched out for the final but no shame in that as it was a dream team lineup (Felix, McLaughlin, Muhammed, Mu).

Foluke going for gold tonight with women's volleyball team.

I was looking for the WR in this race.  I thought both the men and women would break the 4x4 record.  

On 8/4/2021 at 11:52 PM, Ararar said:

Nor Alabama where the greatest track athlete at the time would be in danger of being murdered for talking to a white women

Or in Glendale, where until sometime in the 1990’s, he better be off the street by dusk.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/city-of-glendale-apologizes-for-its-history-as-a-sundown-town/2443011/?amp

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-10-15/glendale-racist-past-sundown-town-apology?_amp=true

• Like 1