Dabo Swinney calls out Big Ten/Ohio St

ATLien12x

6 hours ago, Bormio said:

Dabo talks too much and worries too much about what others say.  Spurrier used to own space in his head.  He is an excellent recruiter and motivator who has had an outstanding run of talent recently - much from Florida.  Almost Ole Miss like.  He is an OK X's and O's coach who has hired excellent coordinators that Clemson has paid extremely well.  And when you are in the ACC, stone-throwing at other conferences is silly.

Clemson has picked up its fair share of Ga boys.  The QB and backup QB last year were from Ga, the prime running back was from Ga, and there were several other Ga guys that saw the field.

12 minutes ago, Fred said:

Clemson has picked up its fair share of Ga boys.  The QB and backup QB last year were from Ga, the prime running back was from Ga, and there were several other Ga guys that saw the field.

Clemson has long gone to Georgia though, this Florida thing is new

3 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Random sidebar - Any of the Ohio State guys know how the freshman DE Chase Young(DeMatha) is looking? He developed quickly over the last two years and I was wondering if he's doing well in camp. Also, will he get on the field this season with that talented and crowded OSU DL? I know he's only a freshman, but he's 6'6 260lbs at barely 18 years old. Thanks in advance. 

They are very excited about him and he'll definitely play, but it may be more in mop up time and against lesser opponents.  If he shines in the opportunities he's given he'll be in the rotation more, but the Buckeyes are talented and deep at the DE position. Next year may be his time to step into the limelight. 

3 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

Yeah, as erratic as Barrett was, I neglected to mention the o-line -- specifically Isaiah Prince who was a liability. The d-line has a chance to be lights out this season, which would make the Buckeyes a threat in every game they play.

Barrett gets it done, if he has time. With that o-line... no time.

Prince is actually #1 on the depth chart now. That scares me.

There are some monster current commits/likelies and freshmen:

• Jackson Carman (Fairfield, OH) #1 OT in the nation '18
  • Thayer Munford (LaSalle/Massillon, OH)  #28 OT in the nation '17
  • Wyatt Davis (SJB, CA)  #1 OG in the nation '17
  • Josh Myers (Miamisburg, OH)  #2 OG in the nation '17

Guys like these will make for great o-lines a year or two from now, but this year? Phil Steele ranks the Bucks o-line #3 in the country going into this season. I'll believe it when I see it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

SEC only has all this hype because of LSU's past success and Alabama's current success. 

And as much as I hate Alabama I will give them this they have a damn good coach and they know how to recruit but everybody is riding Alabamas fame. 

How about Auburn (2010 national champs), Florida (2008 and 2006 national champs), and Tennessee (1998 national champs)? 

And as you said, Alabama ('15, '12, '11, '09 national champs) and LSU (2007 and 2003 national champs).

That's 10 national championships in 19 years for the SEC. Not just Alabama and LSU. Unprecedented for that many different teams from one conference to win the championship in that period of time, actually. Completely opposite of what you are suggesting.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

How about Auburn (2010 national champs), Florida (2008 and 2006 national champs), and Tennessee (1998 national champs)? 

And as you said, Alabama ('15, '12, '11, '09 national champs) and LSU (2007 and 2003 national champs).

That's 10 national championships in 19 years for the SEC. Not just Alabama and LSU. Unprecedented for that many different teams from one conference to win the championship in that period of time, actually. Completely opposite of what you are suggesting.

What has Tennessee done since then?

Auburn has been the face of mediocrity since then.....

19 hours ago, ATLien12x said:

During a radio interview with WCCP-FM's Walt Deptula on Monday, Swinney said he doesn't watch many Big Ten games during the season but felt the conference was overrated after watching Ohio State in preparation for the bowl game.

"Go back to last year. We're trying to figure out a way to put four Big Ten teams in the playoff," Swinney said. "And I didn't pay no attention to the Big Ten. You just kind of buy it (the Big Ten hype), right? That's just what's out there. And then we get ready to play Ohio State and I start watching the tape, I watch every single game and I go in and tell our guys, I'm like, 'Boys, these guys are in trouble.' I mean, I've watched the whole league, I've gone through the whole league both sides, these guys are in trouble. And that's exactly what happened."

The Fiesta Bowl was Ohio State's first shutout in any game since 1993. As a whole, the Big Ten went just 3-7 in last year's bowl games, including losses in New Year's Six games by Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan.

Hahaha! Someone else finally caught on to what I've been saying... They play slow motion ball in Ohio. Especially in high school, but yes, in college too. 

Go Dabo, go Dabo GO!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Hahaha! Someone else finally caught on to what I've been saying... They play slow motion ball in Ohio. Especially in high school, but yes, in college too. 

Go Dabo, go Dabo GO!

We slowly make our way to occasional national championship game while the Dawgs appear to run really, really fast in the other direction.

8 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Go Dabo, go Dabo GO!

Not slow to play OOS games

hows that for your pallete? 😂😂

6 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

SEC only has all this hype because of LSU's past success and Alabama's current success. 

And as much as I hate Alabama I will give them this they have a damn good coach and they know how to recruit but everybody is riding Alabamas fame. 

6 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

If the SEC was so great then were where they in the 90's or the 80's or the 70's or the early 2000's (2000-2005?). 

I know they have the occaisonal Alabama and UGA Champs in the 80s and 70s. But  where was everyone else? 

1 hour ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

What has Tennessee done since then?

Auburn has been the face of mediocrity since then.....

You are all over the board, just throwing stuff out there without even thinking. Because you know it is tough to argue the proof that is in the SEC-football-success pudding.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ATLien12x said:

During a radio interview with WCCP-FM's Walt Deptula on Monday, Swinney said he doesn't watch many Big Ten games during the season but felt the conference was overrated after watching Ohio State in preparation for the bowl game.

"Go back to last year. We're trying to figure out a way to put four Big Ten teams in the playoff," Swinney said. "And I didn't pay no attention to the Big Ten. You just kind of buy it (the Big Ten hype), right? That's just what's out there. And then we get ready to play Ohio State and I start watching the tape, I watch every single game and I go in and tell our guys, I'm like, 'Boys, these guys are in trouble.' I mean, I've watched the whole league, I've gone through the whole league both sides, these guys are in trouble. And that's exactly what happened."

The Fiesta Bowl was Ohio State's first shutout in any game since 1993. As a whole, the Big Ten went just 3-7 in last year's bowl games, including losses in New Year's Six games by Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan.

I called out the big 10 last year on this site.  I predicted that the Bowl games would expose them - ESPN is good for games on TV - but they hyped that league like they was something really special.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Texasball said:

I called out the big 10 last year on this site.  I predicted that the Bowl games would expose them - ESPN is good for games on TV - but they hyped that league like they was something really special.  

Well, the B10's best teams were pretty good for the most part. OSU, PSU, Michigan and Wisconsin all had good seasons. They just weren't better than Clemson or Alabama. Neither was anybody else. How much you wanna bet all 4 of those teams will be pretty good again this season?

Exposed my @$$. The SEC had a recent poor showing in bowl games. Doesn't mean the conference was exposed or isn't among the best. You can spin things all you want, but all 4 of those B10 teams were top 15 caliber teams and were capable of beating any team in the Nation not named Clemson or Alabama.

• Like 4

The reason why ESPN hypes the Big 10 is because practically everyone who works for them is a Big 10 alum. 

The SEC gets the most hype but deservedly so. 

The Big 10 is a cash cow so it makes sense to follow the dollars. That's why they only talk about big market teams or stories that attract attention like the Warriors or Lebron. 

Back in 05 they had a season long circle jerk about USC being the best team in history when they weren't even the best team that year. Lol. 

In conclusion ESPN is trash 

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, concha said:

Barrett gets it done, if he has time. With that o-line... no time.

Prince is actually #1 on the depth chart now. That scares me.

There are some monster current commits/likelies and freshmen:

• Jackson Carman (Fairfield, OH) #1 OT in the nation '18
  • Thayer Munford (LaSalle/Massillon, OH)  #28 OT in the nation '17
  • Wyatt Davis (SJB, CA)  #1 OG in the nation '17
  • Josh Myers (Miamisburg, OH)  #2 OG in the nation '17

Guys like these will make for great o-lines a year or two from now, but this year? Phil Steele ranks the Bucks o-line #3 in the country going into this season. I'll believe it when I see it.

Carman has one of the best highlight reels I've seen out of an OT. Haven't watched him in an actual game, though. Still, looks like he's a dude.

5 hours ago, nptb17 said:

Clemson was fortunate to not have 3 losses last season.  They weren't that great but last season is last season.  

Fortunate or not, they advanced to and won the game every single college football program is striving to get to and played their best when it mattered most. They beat down a decent OSU team then won the National title over one of Alabama's better teams. I'm not a Clemson fan at all, but give them credit. They were great last season and hoisted the championship trophy to prove it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zulu1128 said:

Conference humping is one of the dumber endeavors that people do here. The top to bottom differences between the P5 aren't big enough to even warrant discussion most years. 

I couldn't agree more. Most every conference has an elite team or two, but every conference has more than a few bad teams. Nobody is exempt.