Official Louisiana and National 2024 High School Baseball Thread

RedZone

2 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

But… do most visitors still drink Bud and get sun burnt?  😉 

Perhaps they should retire that slang name reference for the area.  I thought it was a Pensacola to Bama label slang, but perhaps just pockets now. 

Ft Myers Beach likely has a similar feel to that, with a quieter area from the bridge with more upscale accommodations and older visitors as example vs the rowdier younger crowds closer to the bridge from the mainland.  

Of course I live Alabama but have never been fans of Gulf Shores.  Outside of 2 restaurants very limited in good seafood, police are jerks, dirty water, has a cheap feel to it. 

We are Destin and Okaloosa Island people.  Plus I know that area 100x better than Gulf Shores. Tons more to do in Destin.

17 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Of course I live Alabama but have never been fans of Gulf Shores.  Outside of 2 restaurants very limited in good seafood, police are jerks, dirty water, has a cheap feel to it. 

We are Destin and Okaloosa Island people.  Plus I know that area 100x better than Gulf Shores. Tons more to do in Destin.

Just two visits for business for me in the FL Panhandle.   I drove past the Niceville Stadium to have a look.  I assume some local schools benefit from some military personnel kids.   Niceville is not that close, but perhaps they do too.  Not sure of a commute time.  

Others closer to the area (like you) know more info.  

This might as well be a different state here in SoFL for me.  Totally different.  

7 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Just two visits for business for me in the FL Panhandle.   I drove past the Niceville Stadium to have a look.  I assume some local schools benefit from some military personnel kids.   Niceville is not that close, but perhaps they do too.  Not sure of a commute time.  

Others closer to the area (like you) know more info.  

This might as well be a different state here in SoFL for me.  Totally different.  

The panhandle is really in alot of areas no different than south Alabama and Georgia.  

Check out Shalimar which is right north of Fort Walton. 

On 4/4/2024 at 11:43 PM, RedZone said:

Meanwhile out in California #1 Corona will face Mater Dei in the Champ Game of Boras Baseball Classic.

....32 of California's best got together this week.

Screenshot_20240404-233132-209.png

Mater Dei beats #1 Corona in Boras Classic champ game.

Screenshot_20240405-234529-682.png

Down in South Florida>  the (9-11) Killian Cougars shut out national power Stoneman Douglas 1-0 Thursday night handing Stoneman Douglas their 4th loss of the season. That's sumply a shocking result.

Stoneman Douglas is in real jeopardy of dropping out of the Top 25. Hate to say I was right, but I was right.

That's very difficult on the eyes @Atticus Finch

I remember back when Killian played some pretty solid football 

On 4/5/2024 at 5:37 AM, RedZone said:

Orange Lutheran took another loss in this Boras Classics .....they are not exactly knocking the cover off the baseball as they prepare for the big tournament in North Carolina next week.

OLU wasn’t even in the Boras Classic, they are playing in the North Carolina tournament instead…. They just lost 2-1 to Harvard Westlake who was also not in the Boras Classic and who OLU beat earlier this year…. 

According to the polls, HWL is ranked higher than OLU so OLU should have lost…. 🤣

13 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

OLU wasn’t even in the Boras Classic, they are playing in the North Carolina tournament instead…. They just lost 2-1 to Harvard Westlake who was also not in the Boras Classic and who OLU beat earlier this year…. 

According to the polls, HWL is ranked higher than OLU so OLU should have lost…. 🤣

I assumed it was the best/top 16 teams in Southern California in that Boras Classic..

What's so coveted about that Classic then?

Orange Lutheran still hasn't been knocking the cover off the ball this year.

28 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

Way to go MD!!!

Once again, Polls showing how accurate and valuable  they are ranking Baseball Teams…. 🤣

You seem to be struggling with how baseball polls work in general on the high school and college level 

LSU lost to HBCU Southern University, La last week.

It wasn't the Poll's fault.

22 hours ago, RedZone said:

Caladesi Island in Dunedin, FL is pretty awesome looking.

Screenshot_20240405-104219-059.png

What this country looks like when MAN is not involved in the equation......👇

Another Dunedin Beach.

I think I just about talked myself and my wife into visiting this beach/area this summer. She thinks the pictures and videos are awesome.

Why not? 

2 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

Way to go MD!!!

Once again, Polls showing how accurate and valuable  they are ranking Baseball Teams…. 🤣

MD sophomore Jackson Campbell was on the bump for 5 2/3 shut out innings. He is also a football player that did a good job on special teams this year. Monarchs need some consistency, but look like they’re making strides as a program. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

Corona and HBeach are also both playing in the National tournament in Cary, NC next week. So that is not why OLu wasn’t in the Boras classic. Which is weird that they weren’t as most of the top teams from the state participated. Cali has no state tournament so that has been the de facto state tourney.

Having said that, what a great run for the Monarchs this week beating very good teams and topping it off by beating national #1 Corona.

Next is a 3 game series with SM who is Nationally ranked. Trinity league baseball is brutal. The parity is phenomenal as all teams good, but anybody can beat anybody. Unlike football!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

SEC Network has Vandy vs LSU on. 

Watched a few innings last night before realizing the Rangers were being spotlighted on the NHL Network vs the Wings, to finish the one goal W.   

Starter for Vandy was clocking a consistent 96 mph (21 yr old) and I was thinking to my Abby Normal, will aluminum bats be retired eventually?  
That’s some wicked bat speed mph to field.  #97 was pitcher last name Cunningham (Bama kid @HooverOutlaw).

@Adam Kurkjian @maxchoboian

@Cossacks

@Bodysurf

@Norcalnut

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bodysurf said:

Corona and HBeach are also both playing in the National tournament in Cary, NC next week. So that is not why OLu wasn’t in the Boras classic. Which is weird that they weren’t as most of the top teams from the state participated. Cali has no state tournament so that has been the de facto state tourney.

Having said that, what a great run for the Monarchs this week beating very good teams and topping it off by beating national #1 Corona.

Next is a 3 game series with SM who is Nationally ranked. Trinity league baseball is brutal. The parity is phenomenal as all teams good, but anybody can anybody. Unlike football!

Is there a HS baseball algorithm based site nationally?  With data like a CP or Massey?  

Yes, please?   😂 

3 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Is there a HS baseball algorithm based site nationally?  With data like a CP or Massey?  

Yes, please?   😂 

I was just quoting maxpreps. I am not aware of an Calpreps-like poll for baseball. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Watched a few innings last night before realizing the Rangers were being spotlighted on the NHL Network vs the Wings, to finish the one goal W.   

Starter for Vandy was clocking a consistent 96 mph (21 yr old) and I was thinking to my Abby Normal, will aluminum bats be retired eventually?  
That’s some wicked bat speed mph to field.  #97 was pitcher last name Cunningham (Bama kid @HooverOutlaw).

@Adam Kurkjian @maxchoboian

@Cossacks

@Bodysurf

@Norcalnut

Wood bats really drive the cost up but are safer.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Wood bats really drive the cost up but are safer.

Agreee 💯! As a former pitcher I kinda cringe at the technology in bats in past 30 years. I remember in college, taking a seed comeback where I got my glove up in the nick of time deflecting the ball and saving me from a temple shot. Didn’t have much brain to start with, but had that hit my melon Simple Jack could have been based on me. I don’t need a fancy exit velocity to tell me that 😂.

IMG_0519.jpeg

• Haha 2

Brother Martin slows Rummel's roll down

Ryan Darrah (Arizona State commit) pitched a complete game 3-hitter for Brother Martin. He was simply too good today.....with the bat too.

Brother Martin 3 Rummel 1

Rummel is still in 1st in the NOLA Catholic league with a 7-2 record now.

Note: Brother Martin's Ryan Darrah was a part of the NOLA East Bank Little League team that won the Little League World Series in 2019. That was a huge deal here.

Those kids are spread out all throughout the NOLA Catholic League.

Ryan Darrah had 3 doubles in the Little League World Series Champ game. Here's one of them. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Ryan Darrah (Arizona State commit) pitched a complete game 3-hitter for Brother Martin. He was simply too good today.....with the bat too.

Note: Brother Martin's Ryan Darrah was a part of the NOLA East Bank Little League team that won the Little League World Series in 2019. That was a huge deal here.

Ryan Darrah had 3 doubles in the Little League World Series Champ game. Here's one of them. 

West Monroe hasn't lost in almost a month now, the Rebs have somehow manged to climb back into the # 1 seed in the NS1 power rankings

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

Rummel 3B/Pitcher Connor Perrot was a part of that NOLA East Bank Little League World Series Champ team....... he's our #3 on the mound. Big Time Prospect.

Man, that was a special little league team.

Conner Perrot Little League World Series 👇

gif-20240406-213551.gif

gif-20240406-213357.gif

40 minutes ago, Reb72 said:

West Monroe hasn't lost in almost a month now, the Rebs have somehow manged to climb back into the # 1 seed in the NS1 power rankings

Yeah, West Monroe's been on a roll too. The 5A playoffs will be great! If West Monroe gets that #1 seed that will be huge.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Yeah, West Monroe's been on a roll too. The 5A playoffs will be great! If West Monroe gets that #1 seed that will be huge.

you never know in baseball but there shouldn't be anyone left in WM's 5 remaining games that pose much of a threat.  They step of out District on Tuesday to play Caldwell Parish (19-8) then have a 3 game series with Ruston (9-19) and close with a OOS contest vs Germantown (16-6) who is MS top 20 and 7A # 9

• Like 1