Some California news

Ararar

On 12/14/2018 at 10:42 AM, THEOC89 said:

Loyola used to be a Real Powerhouse!... I remember going to a big game my senior year in High School where Dick Butkis's Kid Played for Loyola and they played Crespi with Russell White... If I remember correctly, Both teams were like #1 and #2 in the Southern Section and I think Loyola was even Nationally ranked.... 

I know Loyola won a low scoring game, but I don't remember the exact score... I Just remember it was such a big game and it was on a Saturday night so a bunch of us from my team went to see those 2 great players and teams square off!.... :) 

I'm so old that I remember they beat the LA City Section champ in the Reebok Bowl. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, On2whls said:

Agreed, questionable call.   Props to Lawndale though, they were placed in D5 at the beginning of the year and played over their heads to get in position to pull the upset.

Lawndale had a really good team this year.  The core group came up together from pop warner days and made a vow to win CIF after being knocked out unexpectedly last year in the semis 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Lawndale had a really good team this year.  The core group came up together from pop warner days and made a vow to win CIF after being knocked out unexpectedly last year in the semis 

they have a really good coach too...could see him at a Mission or Trinity league school soon.

• Like 1

Check out this run from Junior RB Cameron Skattebo of D4 Rio Linda from their State Championship game this past weekend.

Yeah, poor tackling but he's been doing that to teams all season to the tune of 3,577 rush yards, which is good for #1 all-time in NorCal and #4 all-time in all of CA (best I can tell). And his team won a small school D4 State title. Not bad.

4 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

Check out this run from Junior RB Cameron Skattebo of D4 Rio Linda from their State Championship game this past weekend.

Yeah, poor tackling but he's been doing that to teams all season to the tune of 3,577 rush yards, which is good for #1 all-time in NorCal and #4 all-time in all of CA (best I can tell). And his team won a small school D4 State title. Not bad.

Very Marshon Lynch beast mode 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

Any offers?

The 3rd Annual Makasi Bowl: San Diego vs. Inland Empire Preview

ByBRANDON HUFFMAN Dec 17, 11:00 AM 

Makasi Bowl 3: SD vs. IE Makasi Bowl 3: SD vs. IE (Photo: Makasi Bowl, 247Sports)

On December 29th the Team Makasi organization will be hosting its 3rd Annual Makasi Bowl: SD vs IE.

Since the inaugural game in 2016 the Makasi Bowl has featured some of the biggest and best college prospects from the San Diego and Inland Empire regions. Top talents that are
now continuing the career in college include athletes like Khalil Shakir (Vista Murrieta/Boise St), Chris Olave (Mission Hills/Ohio St), Elisha Guidry (Vista Murrieta/UCLA), Jaylen Shaw(Centennial/UCLA), Chase Williams(Roosevelt/USC), Matt Lawson (Fresno St), Dominic Gudino (Olympian/SDSU), Scott Young (Helix/Arizona), Malik Moore (Point Loma/BYU) and many more have represented their respective areas in the Makasi Bowl.

This year is the third time around and the Makasi Bowl continues to bring the heat with two loaded rosters filled with San Diego’s and the Inland Empires’ best from the 2019 graduating class. Top recruits that will be representing San Diego this year include USC commit Kenan Christon, Washington State commit Don Chapman, San Diego State commit Michael Shawcroft, UCLA comment Jahmon McClendon, UCLA commit Shamar Martin, Stanford commit Ryan Sanborn, Navy commit Vincent Santos, Demarcus Griffin of Olympic/El Camino who hold 29 college offers, JL Skinner of San Diego (Calif.) Point Loma who holds 14 offers, Casey Granfors of San Diego (Calif.) University City who holds eight college offers, Jayden Wickware of San Diego (Calif.) who holds 12 offers, Jamahd Monroe of San Diego (Calif.) Lincoln who holds 8 offers and a roster full of top recruits from San Diego.

On the Inland Empire side athletes include Colorado commit Mark Perry, Arizona commit Jaxen Turner, Nevada commit Cameron Stephens, Colorado commit Jaylen Martin, Wyoming commit Easton Gibbs, Oklahoma commit Jonathan Perkins, Utah commit Darren Jones, Colorado commit Braedin Huffman-Dixon, Fresno State commit Myles MartinTuasivi Nomura of Corona (Calif.) Centennial who holds 17 offers, Ty McCullouch of Moreno Valley (Calif.) Rancho Verde who holds six college offers, Devonta Bridges of Rialto (Calif.) Carter HS who holds six offers, and a long list of other top athletes that represent the Inland Empire.

The Inland Empire is 0-2 versus San Diego in the Makasi Bowl but look to change the narrative in this year’s game as the IE will have the home field advantage. For the first time the game is being held in the IE at Etiwanda High School.

The game is December 29th at 6:00pm.

Team Makasi is a foundation based out of San Diego intended to create a culture and make resources available to youth while fostering success on the field, in the classroom and the community.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

Any offers?

Not that I've heard of so far. But it's hard to know. Given the season he just had and the team success, I imagine he'll be on the radar next year.  Keep an eye on him.

At 5-10, 200 lbs, he's got enough size to garner interest at the FBS level. He's got exceptional balance, vision, and power. I have no idea what his true speed is, but he looks fast enough to me. He'll play somewhere, unless he goes the baseball route. I've read he's pretty good at that too.

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2018 at 2:57 AM, ThunderRam said:

I think he puts Crisco on himself before games

• Like 1

Los Angeles times all area teams

QB — DJ Uiagalelei, Bellflower St. John Bosco, 6-5, 238, Jr.: He led the Braves to 13 consecutive victories, completing 70% of his passes for 3,366 yards and 48 touchdowns with seven interceptions.

RB — Zach Charbonnet, Westlake Village Oaks Christian, 6-2, 220, Sr.: Bound for Michigan, Charbonnet was a two-way standout who finished with 1,770 yards rushing with an average of 8.2 yards per carry.

RB — Jordan Wilmore, Lawndale, 5-8, 200, Sr.: The USC-bound Wilmore led Lawndale to its most successful season in school history, winning the CIF Division 2-A state bowl game while rushing for 2,228 yards and 22 touchdowns.

OL — Sean Rhyan, San Juan Hills, 6-5, 300, Sr.: Considered to be the No. 1 recruit among linemen in Southern California, the UCLA signee used his agility and strength to pummel defenders.

OL — Jonah Tauanu’u, Harbor City Narbonne, 6-6, 315, Sr.: The Oregon-bound offensive tackle has been a standout on three consecutive City Section Open Division championship teams and was named City player of the year.

OL — Sataoa Laumea, Rialto Eisenhower, 6-4, 305, Sr.: The Utah-bound Laumea helped Eisenhower win its first section title since 1993, using his size and strength to key the rushing attack.

ADVERTISEMENT

OL — Dohnovan West, Mission Hills Alemany, 6-4, 285, Sr.: The Arizona State-bound West faced a series of top defensive ends and more than held his own in nonleague and Mission League play.

OL — Jeffrey Persi, San Juan Capistrano JSerra; 6-7, 265, Jr.: Colleges are jumping on the bandwagon to recruit the rising standout who came on strong at the end of the season.

WR — Bru McCoy, Santa Ana Mater Dei, 6-3, 205, Sr.: McCoy caught 18 touchdown passes for the No. 1 team in Southern California while dealing with repeated double coverages.

WR — Mycah Pittman, Calabasas, 6-0, 180, Sr.: Headed to Oregon, Pittman used his athleticism, speed and agility to catch 62 passes, including 11 for touchdowns.

WR — John Humphreys, Corona del Mar, 6-5, 205, Jr.: He set an Orange Country record with 28 touchdown receptions. He also finished with 103 catches for 1,783 yards.

K — Cristian Reyes, Arcadia, 5-8, 195, Sr.: Reyes made 10 of 10 field goals for the Apaches with a long of 42 yards. He was 65 of 68 on PATs.

Defense

DL — Kayvon Thibodeaux, Oaks Christian, 6-5, 230, Sr.: The Oregon signee finished with 18 sacks for the 12-1 Lions.

ADVERTISEMENT

DL — Cade Albright, San Juan Hills, 6-5, 215, Sr.: Albright led Orange County with 19 sacks, including three against Calabasas.

DL — Drake Jackson, Corona Centennial, 6-4, 260, Sr.: The USC-bound Jackson finished with eight sacks and made major improvements as a run stopper.

DL — Jordan Banks, Narbonne, 6-3, 243, Jr.: Banks was a dominant defensive player, recording 13 sacks and 20 tackles for losses.

LB — Tuasivi Nomura, Corona Centennial, 6-1, 195, Sr.: The outside linebacker led the 12-1 Huskies with 91 tackles.

LB — Justin Flowe, Upland, 6-3, 230, Jr.: Flow averaged 12 tackles a game and earned the reputation as one of the most feared tacklers in California.

LB — Ralen Goforth, St. John Bosco, 6-2, 225, Sr.; The USC-bound Goforth had six sacks and more than 100 tackles for the 13-1 Braves.

DB — Trent McDuffie, St. John Bosco, 5-10, 170, Sr.: The cornerback headed to Washington was terrific in man-to-man coverage, taking on the best receivers in Division 1.

DB — Jaxen Turner, Moreno Valley Rancho Verde, 6-2, 180, Sr.: The two-sport standout headed to Arizona was one of the Southland’s most versatile players for the 13-1 Mustangs.

DB — Elias Ricks, Mater Dei, 6-2, 180, Jr.: The Louisiana State commit had nine interceptions and a knack for returning them for touchdowns, including three against Corona Centennial.

DB — Akili Arnold, Mission Viejo, 6-0, 175, Sr.: Arnold made seven interceptions and also caught 53 passes for seven touchdowns.

P — Anthony Moran, Placentia Valencia, 5-7, 175, Sr.: Moran averaged 48.9 yards per punt, including 11 of his 35 punts inside the 20.

There always seems to be questions whether someone really moves residences and tries to transfer.

The Southern Section has put together a new checklist that will be the standard whenever a parent moves and a school must approve the transfer for an official change of residence.

This way, both the school and the parent will be protected.