Publics vs Privates

FootballGuy

26 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Would y'all say that it's a bad look for private schools to lose to public schools considering all the advantages that a private school has?

I will speak for the MD/DC area and say it would be a crushing defeat. Right now, area public schools won’t schedule teams like St. John’s or St. Frances Academy and the feeling is mutual. SJC, and SFA to a lesser extent, want flashy national games. You’ll get one or two public teams that schedule DeMatha, Good Counsel, or Gonzaga, but those are running clock situations. The gap between public and private in MD/DC is about as large as it gets. NJ’s situation is comparable. The closest public school is probably Wise or Friendship Collegiate. Centreville in VA was nationally ranked for a few years before Gonzaga took them down on ESPN fairly easily. DeMatha waxed Oscar Smith the next year. But yes, it would be a horrible look for a top MD/DC private to lose to a MD/DC public. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Depends on the states involved. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if Grayson beats BC. NJ is not a Top 5 hsfb state, while GA is. 

Conversely, if SJB loses to Cen10, is that really a bad look? I think not. 

Back in the day, I never overly gloated when DBP beat teams like Manatee, Prattville and MV. IMO they were the favorites to begin with based on the associated advantages we all knew they had. 

Hypothetical situation: So let's say if chandler woulda beat MD last season..... would that be a bad look for MD considering that AZ isn't a top 5 hsfb state? 

Looking at a few games of the past:

STA vs Centennial (AZ)

Miami Central vs BG

Trinity vs DLS

Miami Central vs Don Bosco Prep

Colquitt County vs Bishop Sullivan

We all know how these games turned out... and considering the advantages of privates, y'all really don't think that the outcomes of these games isn't a bad look for the losers? 

9 minutes ago, Pops said:

Is it a bad look when GA’s best team gets beat 56-0?

1 minute ago, FootballGuy said:

Once again, who are you?

Can I get a response?

imho, that was most embarrassing loss for a state in hsfb history and always will be 

Norcrossed will live in infamy.Anyway back on topic no I don’t think so.If Centennial stops IMG 2pt conversion would it have been a bad look? I don’t think so because there are a lot of great public schools.Sure private schools have some advantages but not all the best players are heading to privates 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FootballGuy said:

Would y'all say that it's a bad look for private schools to lose to public schools considering all the advantages that a private school has?

Nope, it all depends on the values and culture in place. 

Are you talking known “football” privates or just in general?

Publics are strong in Ga, no shame here. 

Regards,

C.A.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Looking at a few games of the past:

STA vs Centennial (AZ)   -   AZ open enrollment .  Transfer rule has changed in the last few years with students having to sit out half the season, but Higley seems to be in a better position to succeed for 2018  

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/04/14/qb-matt-purnell-latest-football-transfer-desert-ridge-gilbert-higley-s-move-desert-ridge-gives-higle/517726002/

Miami Central vs BG  -  MC is in a healthy location for athletes and transfers are common in SoFL  

Trinity vs DLS  -   I'll defer to the TX brethren on this, but certainly the high Polynesian population with ballers helps 

Miami Central vs Don Bosco Prep -  See above on MC  

Colquitt County vs Bishop Sullivan -   I'll defer to the GA brethren on this one

We all know how these games turned out... and considering the advantages of privates, y'all really don't think that the outcomes of these games isn't a bad look for the losers? 

Some publics can reach out from their district zoning and/or have lax transfer rules.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Depends on the states involved. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if Grayson beats BC. NJ is not a Top 5 hsfb state, while GA is. 

Back in the day, I never overly gloated when DBP beat teams like Manatee, Prattville and MV. IMO they were the favorites to begin with based on the associated advantages we all knew they had. 

The one thing that I can appreciate from NJ is that coaches don’t pretend not to recruit in the private schools.  They are willing to tell you that they have financial aide for the players who need it too.

totally different story in California. 

I have witnessed these conversations with my ears at the AFCA convention 

26 minutes ago, Pops said:

Can I get a response?

imho, that was most embarrassing loss for a state in hsfb history and always will be 

IMO DLS getting beat by Bellevue having the streaked stopped by OOS team was most embarrassing lost.

Personally, I have respect for Norcross on the way they pulled themselves together after humiliating defeat like that to win always tough GA state title.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Texasball said:

I don’t like private schools...However, if they don’t hide behind what they do - then I can respect them.

At the end of the day...The best in Texas public schools can match up with the best private schools nationally.

What's your feeling on texas privates ramping up their rosters and playing 5A/6A schools?  Do you think publics should avoid them like they do IMG? 

11 minutes ago, Texasball said:

IMO DLS getting beat by Bellevue having the streaked stopped by OOS team was most embarrassing lost.

Personally, I have respect for Norcross on the way they pulled themselves together after humiliating defeat like that to win always tough GA state title.

7 minutes ago, Texasball said:

I don’t like private schools...However, if they don’t hide behind what they do - then I can respect them.

At the end of the day...The best in Texas public schools can match up with the best private schools nationally.

Seems like you give a bit more rope to publics

having your worst team in 30 years lose to a public that was later sanctioned for cheating or

having your state’s best team stomped 56-0 by a neighbor 

I’d like to talk about the unfair advantages of publics — their enrollments are much higher in average and I paid more money to theblocal school that my kids did not attend than I did to send 3 kids to private schools — they (Monte Vista) have a Jumbotron and much, much nicer facilities 

7 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

What's your feeling on texas privates ramping up their rosters and playing 5A/6A schools?  Do you think publics should avoid them like they do IMG? 

More likely just based on history of other states facing same dilemma, there will be a sort of capitulation whereby transfer rules are relaxed for everyone 

I realize that’s anathema to TX culture but that’s what others have done when faced with same dilemma 

2 minutes ago, Pops said:

More likely just based on history of other states facing same dilemma, there will be a sort of capitulation whereby transfer rules are relaxed for everyone 

I realize that’s anathema to TX culture but that’s what others have done when faced with same dilemma 

I hope they do.  Students n parents should be allowed to make decisions in their best interest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Can u define what a top Hsfb is???like what does it take to be a top 5 State?

55 minutes ago, Texasball said:

The one thing that I can appreciate from NJ is that coaches don’t pretend not to recruit in the private schools.  They are willing to tell you that they have financial aide for the players who need it too.

totally different story in California. 

I have witnessed these conversations with my ears at the AFCA convention 

You're assuming that private schools operate in the same manner everywhere, which isn't the case.

• Thanks 1