MD Recruits Go Back To Public School

SoCalFball

9 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

Ok. I suppose that can be an explanation, but both are dealing with divorced parents, decided to transfer to MD and then move back with the other parent after the season? My guess is there won’t be a smoking gun pointing to MD but I have a hard time believing they have their head in the sand

Like I said I don’t know the kids situation or circumstances.They could have moved with any relatives in reality and the CIF approved a valid change of residence.I have a hard time believing MD knew these kids were going to up and move back once the season was over.

2 hours ago, Eddyr2 said:

Kids wanted to enroll early but couldn’t graduate early at MD so they left...

they did what they thought was best for their futures...best of luck to them.

They couldn’t graduate at MD most likely because you need two years of religious classes. Well as we all know they were only gonna be there for a year so that could be a reason why they went back still doesn’t make it right. 

3 hours ago, The Stache said:

We were very disappointed to have these fine young men blatently recruited away from our fine Catholic institution.   We do not condone recruiting of any kind, and the undue influence put on these fine kids by Rancho Cucamongo robbed them of their senior level religion ethics class, which I teach.

Obviously Rancho Cucamonga is only thinking of themselves and not the best interest of these young men. 

I know you would give up your Championship if it meant these fine young men could stay in your religion ethics class. So sorry for your suffering coach. You’re a class act!!

• Haha 1

This is not a good look for the school, players involved, or the CIF. I can personally assure you that the alumni and boosters such as myself are not thrilled to say the least. The OC Register article by Fryer has an interesting quote saying that they refused admittance to transfers this offseason. So I’m not sure why the lineman from LaHabra was able to transfer while others (Logan Loya plus rumors being Kendall Milton) were turned away.

I really don’t have a good solution because of the legalities involved and you can’t prevent a kid from changing schools if that is his choice. But I’m all in favor of discouraging it. People don’t acknowledge it but the transfer flow at MD is actually heavier leaving the school.  (E.g. two of the top RBs in SoCal, Chris Street and JoJuan Collins, transferred out of MD. So did a top DB in Zion Alefosio. Cen10 quarterback, etc). I’m eager to see what the CIF comes up with, if anything.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Parents gaming the system. Schools gaming the system or allowing the atmosphere that breeds the gaming. 

Governing bodies too weak in the knees to do anything about it. 

This is happening more and more and not limited to one state or region. 

This is an interesting loop with these kids though. From public to private then right back to public. One question I'd have as a governing body tasked with overseeing or investigating questionable transfer practices, especially a loop like this one involving more than one family: How was the tuition funded? Did the parents fund it just to get their kids a shot at a ring? Did boosters or alumni fund it? Did the school offer some reduced or free rate? Why did the kids transfer out so quickly? 

57 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Parents gaming the system. Schools gaming One question I'd have as a governing body tasked with overseeing or investigating questionable transfer practices, especially a loop like this one involving more than one family: How was the tuition funded? Did the parents fund it just to get their kids a shot at a ring? Did boosters or alumni fund it? Did the school offer some reduced or free rate? Why did the kids transfer out so quickly? 

I don’t remember.  And if I did remember, my attorney says I still don’t remember.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

This is not a good look for the school, players involved, or the CIF. I can personally assure you that the alumni and boosters such as myself are not thrilled to say the least. The OC Register article by Fryer has an interesting quote saying that they refused admittance to transfers this offseason. So I’m not sure why the lineman from LaHabra was able to transfer while others (Logan Loya plus rumors being Kendall Milton) were turned away.

I really don’t have a good solution because of the legalities involved and you can’t prevent a kid from changing schools if that is his choice. But I’m all in favor of discouraging it. People don’t acknowledge it but the transfer flow at MD is actually heavier leaving the school.  (E.g. two of the top RBs in SoCal, Chris Street and JoJuan Collins, transferred out of MD. So did a top DB in Zion Alefosio. Cen10 quarterback, etc). I’m eager to see what the CIF comes up with, if anything.

I agree that kids dropping in for a football semester and then exiting is not a good look at all. Regardless of what the CIF comes up with, I'm sure the administration and alumni recognize that this continuing is not a direction the school wants to take. So, I'd imagine the news in the last month or so that MD plans to change some decisions on transfers is at least somewhat (if not being the primary reason) related to the students coming in to play football in the Fall semester and then leaving in the Spring semester.

• Like 1

But, for sure, public schools 2,000 miles away should spend thousands of dollars of program funds to go play schools like Mater Dei. Because, you know, some dweebs on a message board might rank your team lower in their "tiers" rankings. 🤦‍♂️

This whole "I did what's best for myself and my family" stuff has some limitations. What if a DB plays for a coach who calls Cover 3, but thinks the best thing for his family is to showcase his man-man coverage skills and so he goes and shadows the best WR on the other team? There will be a point where people say "sure, do what's best for you. But, if you're THAT selfish and disinterested in the team, I'm no longer interested enough to invest time and money into following you."

• Haha 1

MD not inherently evil 

they took an approach that has lots of negative ramifications whichntheu weren’t previously much concerned with 

they’ll throttle back and if they start using just their own kids they’ll become that team that didn’t win section for 20 years again 

not so sure about SJB — they don’t have MD’s legacy/ traditions/ alumni to protect and seem to have the inmates running the asylum a bit more than MD, where even Rollo is just the football coach 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Parents gaming the system. Schools gaming the system or allowing the atmosphere that breeds the gaming. 

Governing bodies too weak in the knees to do anything about it. 

This is happening more and more and not limited to one state or region. 

This is an interesting loop with these kids though. From public to private then right back to public. One question I'd have as a governing body tasked with overseeing or investigating questionable transfer practices, especially a loop like this one involving more than one family: How was the tuition funded? Did the parents fund it just to get their kids a shot at a ring? Did boosters or alumni fund it? Did the school offer some reduced or free rate? Why did the kids transfer out so quickly? 

Going through the courts to change the parents custodian rights would have to go with any transfer from one parent to the other. Any relative for that matter.

If the custodian parent picks up and moves into another district, it’s a done deal and all legal. 

Buying property in SoCal is almost impossible. A lot people are forced to rent, it makes it that much easier to pack up and move.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bestcoast said:

Going through the courts to change the parents custodian rights would have to go with any transfer from one parent to the other. Any relative for that matter.

If the custodian parent picks up and moves into another district, it’s a done deal and all legal. 

Buying property in SoCal is almost impossible. A lot people are forced to rent, it makes it that much easier to pack up and move.

Not true parents can and do have joint custody of children which means moving from one parents house to another has already been resolved and no need for any further litigation