Top Public Schools for Football

181pl

Let's change gears here for a minute. Since this is becoming a dying breed, let's identify the best public school programs from each state and see where they rank overall (or what tier) nationally. If you'd like to participate, give your opinion. If you want to give a historical perspective (say last 15 years) and a present status, that's fine too.

In FL, I'd offer the following, in no particular order:

Central

Booker T. Washington

Northwestern

Lakeland

Armwood

Plant

Manatee

Cocoa

Apopka

Lincoln

Currently, probably only Central and Lakeland, and maybe Armwood, deserve to be in the top 100 nationally. Armwood has laid an egg in the state game (usually against Central or NW) for the last many years, but has dominated other FL competition and has fared well in its only relevant out of state game (Bishop Gorman).

Cocoa, when humming, even though a small school, has proven difficult to beat.

Plant has still had success in FL for the last 8 or 9 years, but has lost either in round 4 or the state game when its made a good run.

Manatee is up and down, and has had to deal with a rising Braden River program. Same with Lincoln.

In Cali there is Corona Centennial, Mission Viejo and Folsom. They currently are the best public’s and have been for a while. This next season you could fairly say Narbonne should be the second best public but they have always underperformed and there is currently uncertainty as their head coach is on administrative leave and the program is still under investigation. 

• Like 4

Almost all the schools listed are either magnet or open/special enrollment of some kind.

You keep pounding this point home in every thread but there's very little difference in how most teams become elite in high school football.

It's simple. If you don't like it then stop following high school football.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 181pl said:

Let's change gears here for a minute. Since this is becoming a dying breed, let's identify the best public school programs from each state and see where they rank overall (or what tier) nationally. If you'd like to participate, give your opinion. If you want to give a historical perspective (say last 15 years) and a present status, that's fine too.

In FL, I'd offer the following, in no particular order:

Central

Booker T. Washington

Northwestern

Lakeland

Armwood

Plant

Manatee

Cocoa

Apopka

Lincoln

Currently, probably only Central and Lakeland, and maybe Armwood, deserve to be in the top 100 nationally. Armwood has laid an egg in the state game (usually against Central or NW) for the last many years, but has dominated other FL competition and has fared well in its only relevant out of state game (Bishop Gorman).

Cocoa, when humming, even though a small school, has proven difficult to beat.

Plant has still had success in FL for the last 8 or 9 years, but has lost either in round 4 or the state game when its made a good run.

Manatee is up and down, and has had to deal with a rising Braden River program. Same with Lincoln.

Are you talking historically? Because that's only way Manatee or Lincoln have a argument

And despite the fact I have respect for Apopka i want to see how they adjust to Darlington leaving before I can safely put them in that top tier of publics in FL still

5 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

😂

I thought about them but they haven’t done much in decades.  If we have a nostalgic list, a few would be on there. 

18 minutes ago, Frosty4024 said:

Not valid until a school out West gets listed 😂

Amarillo Sandies 

Coronado T-birds (el pass) 

grandad won a state championship at one — I started hs at the other 

Katy

Allen

North Shore

Aledo

Lake Travis

Carthage

These are usually the best in their classes for right now. If we're talking on a national level, you can probably take Aledo and Carthage off that list.

WO-S was unbeatable for two years in 4AD2. I don't know if they would have been unbeatable in 4AD1. You dodge a lot of good teams when you drop down to division 2 in 4A.

If we go back to the 90s and a little afterwards: Stephenville, La Marque, Judson, SLC, Permian.

It's important to point this out since some people seem to think Texas is always the same 5 or 6 teams winning over and over again. Judson has six state titles, I believe.

Also notice you won't see Duncanville on anyone's list to further make that point.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, The Guru said:

Almost all the schools listed are either magnet or open/special enrollment of some kind.

You keep pounding this point home in every thread but there's very little difference in how most teams become elite in high school football.

It's simple. If you don't like it then stop following high school football.

Nice try. As I stated in another thread, it's apples and oranges. The factory schools budget recruiting, housing, offer nationally televised OOS games, etc. 

BTW, Plant always at capacity, so technically no open transfers.

3 hours ago, Champa said:

Katy

Allen

North Shore

Aledo

Lake Travis

Carthage

These are usually the best in their classes for right now. If we're talking on a national level, you can probably take Aledo and Carthage off that list.

WO-S was unbeatable for two years in 4AD2. I don't know if they would have been unbeatable in 4AD1. You dodge a lot of good teams when you drop down to division 2 in 4A.

If we go back to the 90s and a little afterwards: Stephenville, La Marque, Judson, SLC, Permian.

It's important to point this out since some people seem to think Texas is always the same 5 or 6 teams winning over and over again. Judson has six state titles, I believe.

Also notice you won't see Duncanville on anyone's list to further make that point.

Mason

(Cancel that...Mason only has 2).

3 hours ago, SoCalFball said:

Consistently in Cali it’s Corona Centennial, Mission Viejo and Folsom. You might have another school who’s good for a year or two but those schools are at the top year in and year out. 

I would definitely include Narbonne on that list. Not much difference between Folsom, Cathedral Catholic,  and Narbonne. 

• Like 1

Not a dying breed in Texas where publics run the state and it aint close. The gap between UIL and TAPPS is pretty wide.

You're honestly starting to see alot of transfers from privates to publics statewide. Players and parents starting to realize you can still get a quality education in TX public schools, with twice the coaching and facilties. Why go to Dunne when you could go to D-Ville ya know? They along with Lynch just loss more players to D-Ville, Desoto, SOC and Lancaster. TC Cedar Hill also losing a few to CHill, Desoto and D-Ville.

38 minutes ago, WulfTangClan said:

Not a dying breed in Texas where publics run the state and it aint close. The gap between UIL and TAPPS is pretty wide.

You're honestly starting to see alot of transfers from privates to publics statewide. Players and parents starting to realize you can still get a quality education in TX public schools, with twice the coaching and facilties. Why go to Dunne when you could go to D-Ville ya know? They along with Lynch just loss more players to D-Ville, Desoto, SOC and Lancaster. TC Cedar Hill also losing a few to CHill, Desoto and D-Ville.

This isn't unique to Texas. Throw Georgia in there with Texas on that type activity happening more than it being the other way with public school kids transferring to privates.

Not sure if any other states are like this though. Texas and Georgia may be the only two investing enough in their public schools to manage it. 

3 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

This isn't unique to Texas. Throw Georgia in there with Texas on that type activity happening more than it being the other way with public school kids transferring to privates.

Not sure if any other states are like this though. Texas and Georgia may be the only two investing enough in their public schools to manage it. 

Their private schools are lame.

And Texas actively prevents them from competing with public schools.

I'm always amused by the chest-thumping on this stuff.

• Thumbs Down 1

Two publics to watch from So Cal on the rise are Villa Park and San Juan Hills. 

SJH has a great, young HC who even got El Toro to the Pac 5 with one FBS level player on their entire roster, and that was a 3 star QB, who was coached up to shatter all of Matt Barkley's OC passing records. 

ET made a huge mistake by wanting to be a basketball and baseball school thus prompting him becoming AD for a year then leaving the school the next season. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

For Georgia it's Marietta and Grayson. Maybe sprinkle in a little Hillgrove, Lowndes and Parkview. Rome and Buford shan't be left out. 

I think that's got Georgia top public high school football teams covered.

Pretty nice list but think u forgot blessed trinity 

But like I said u nailed it except that one you missed