Patriots sign Cam

Bormio

26 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Pretty cheap.  Starter?  Back-up?  Got anything left?  Always thought Cam needed better coaching - relied too much on talent

Have to think that unless he is still battling that shoulder problem, he will be starting.  Then again, shoulder injuries and QBs are always a wildcard.

Cam signs a 1-yr incentive laden deal after previously being unemployed and, of course, someone out there has to make it political.

My response to him was, if Lamar Jackson or Pat Mahomes were available to be signed, I’m pretty sure NE would have would have offered more than 15/16 a year.

Same goes for Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson. Probably even Dak Prescott.

39 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

Cam signs a 1-yr incentive laden deal after previously being unemployed and, of course, someone out there has to make it political.

My response to him was, if Lamar Jackson or Pat Mahomes were available to be signed, I’m pretty sure NE would have would have offered more than 15/16 a year.

Same goes for Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson. Probably even Dak Prescott.

Its not political is common sense. There a lot of terrible qbs being paid. You made it political by listing only black qbs he said former league mvps. He is right no other former league mvp would have to deal with that. The patriots pay the bare minimum as much as possible. They agreed to a 1yr because everyone expects him to do great and get another big contract next year. Teams just want to see how he is after all the injuries.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ga96 said:

Its not political is common sense. There a lot of terrible qbs being paid. You made it political by listing only black qbs he said former league mvps. He is right no other former league mvp would have to deal with that. The patriots pay the bare minimum as much as possible. They agreed to a 1yr because everyone expects him to do great and get another big contract next year. Teams just want to see how he is after all the injuries.

But knowing how Richard Sherman is, he likely doesn't even make a statement if it were a white QB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ga96 said:

Exactly. Same thing with Michael Vick. He had to prove he still had it before a team would give him big money. 

Nobody forced Cam Newton to sign. If that’s the most he could get in his market then so be it. Sherman is a chronic complainer. Take his opinions with a grain of salt 

9 hours ago, Ga96 said:

Its not political is common sense. There a lot of terrible qbs being paid. You made it political by listing only black qbs he said former league mvps. 

No, you (and Sherman) made it political. I listed two MVP QB’s that would have been paid a lot more money had they been available. And followed up with three other names that have played at or near MVP levels recently and that also would draw a ton of interest. You then mentioned race. 

My point was current day factors are what dictated the contract and lack of interest from many teams. It’s clear Sherman was trying to imply some type of injustice against Cam when, in fact, it’s largely performance and health based.

Because if it had been one of those younger, healthier, more productive players available, teams would have lined up to pay them far more than the supposed “terrible” QB’s being paid more than Cam.

Nice try though!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

But knowing how Richard Sherman is, he likely doesn't even make a statement if it were a white QB.

That is the entire point. Sherman’s implying a political reason. But Cam’s ethnicity has nothing to do with the lack of interest from most teams or the 1 year contract he just agreed to with the Patriots.

The market for Cam Newton was soft because (a) there aren’t a lot of QB desperate teams at the moment (b) the pandemic (c) moderate production the past 4 seasons (d) injury concerns.

Anybody not recognizing the above is, well, just attempting to stir the pot.

Richard Sherman isn’t an idiot. He has a degree from Stanford. I’ll bet you anything that, if Sherman was an owner of an NFL team and it was his $$$ in play, he wouldn’t sign off on signing Cam Newton for big money considering all the factors that I listed.

Now, if Cam has a stellar season in 2020, odds are he’ll receive a large contract offer similar to what Ryan Tannehill just signed after his 2019 season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThunderRam said:

That is the entire point. Sherman’s implying a political reason. But Cam’s ethnicity has nothing to do with the lack of interest from most teams or the 1 year contract he just agreed to with the Patriots.

The market for Cam Newton was soft because (a) there aren’t a lot of QB desperate teams at the moment (b) the pandemic (c) moderate production the past 4 seasons (d) injury concerns.

Anybody not recognizing the above is, well, just attempting to stir the pot.

Richard Sherman isn’t an idiot. He has a degree from Stanford. I’ll bet you anything that, if Sherman was an owner of an NFL team and it was his $$$ in play, he wouldn’t sign off on signing Cam Newton for big money considering all the factors that I listed.

Now, if Cam has a stellar season in 2020, odds are he’ll receive a large contract offer similar to what Ryan Tannehill just signed after his 2019 season.

I'm not disagreeing. We all know why he signed for the minimum. Even though Sherman didn't come out and mention Cam's race, I have no doubt he was implying it as being a reason for him not receiving a more lucrative contract.

• Like 1

Regardless of what value people may think something is worth, the reality is it is worth exactly what one party is willing to pay and the other party is willing to accept.  In the market right now, no team appears to have been willing to pay more so de facto,  Cam is worth the minimum contract.  He will have the opportunity to increase his perceived value (or decrease it) depending on his performance.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

I'm not disagreeing. We all know why he signed for the minimum. Even though Sherman didn't come out and mention Cam's race, I have no doubt he was implying it as being a reason for him not receiving a more lucrative contract.

I knew you weren’t disagreeing. I was just advancing upon your point.

IMO it was clear from the get go what Sherman was implying without actually saying. Especially when he ended it with “disgusting”.

7 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

Even tho Cam is coming off of injuries, there's no way he should be getting paid less than guys like Chase Daniel and Ryan Fitzpatrick. Teddy Bridgewater as well. 

Why not? He’s getting what the current market and demand is dictating.

Pick any year and pick any position and you can always find players that seem underpaid compared to lesser productive players. There’s nothing new on that front.

When those other QB’s signed, the market and demand was different. If Cam Newton was available when Miami signed Fitzpatrick, perhaps they would have signed him instead.

Cam is more the victim of bad timing than anything else. His age, injury situation, and moderate production the past 4 seasons surely didn’t help.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Love to see Cam have “that” season. 

Shut up a lot of critics. 

bgw

If he was on any team other than NE, SF or NYJ, I would love to see that too.

I’ve always been a big Cam Newton fan and a secondary Panthers fan (behind my own team) as a result. I love watching him play.

But now that he’s on a division rival, I can’t say I hope he returns to 2015 form. Only if it happened and NE still sucked, which we know wouldn't be the case.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 9:45 PM, Bormio said:

Pretty cheap.  Starter?  Back-up?  Got anything left?  Always thought Cam needed better coaching - relied too much on talent

Won’t surprise me if they win it all. 

Great pick up for little risk. 

Cam will get to show if he’s motivated or not. No doubt in my mind he is better than stidham.