David Ortiz into MLB Hall of Fame

Ga96

24 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Didn’t he get popped for PEDs and not Bonds?

Media liked Big Poppi and he was a nice guy.. Bonds was an ass and they didn't like him. It's that simple.. life and business is about relationships... always has been.. If people like you then they won't be so quick to tear you down. If your an ass they can't wait to to tear you to shreds . At the end of the day the athletes and the media folks are just people and as people we are all flawed.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, OldTerrapin said:

Media liked Big Poppi and he was a nice guy.. Bonds was an ass and they didn't like him. It's that simple.. life and business is about relationships... always had been.. If people like you then they won't be so quick to tear you down. If your an ass they can't wait to to tear you to shreds . At the end of the day the athletes and the media folks are just people and as people we are all flawed.

It’s crazy. I seen that guys like Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron didn’t get 100 percent of the vote to get in the hall. That means there were actual people who thought they weren’t good enough. 

most likely it was racism against Aaron and with Ruth from what I heard how he lived, he probably banged some voters wife 😂

• Like 2

Bonds is one of my all-time favorites. but I also think he’s an asshole. Still had a Hall of Fame playing career. With this whole PED era the Hall of Fame is gonna come off looking like a bunch of hypocrites with who they allow in and who they don’t. A guy like Ortiz who I like. but actually had a positive test gets in and a guy who never tested positive doesn’t (Bonds). That’s not to say I don’t think bonds juiced big time, let’s be real.

• Like 3

On 1/26/2022 at 6:59 AM, OldTerrapin said:

Media liked Big Poppi and he was a nice guy.. Bonds was an ass and they didn't like him. It's that simple.. life and business is about relationships... always has been.. If people like you then they won't be so quick to tear you down. If your an ass they can't wait to to tear you to shreds . At the end of the day the athletes and the media folks are just people and as people we are all flawed.

Media is out of control . They are a vicious  slander machine just to create more news . I don't blame Bonds for not liking them . 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

On 1/26/2022 at 12:14 PM, Cossacks said:

Bonds is one of my all-time favorites. but I also think he’s an asshole. Still had a Hall of Fame playing career. With this whole PED era the Hall of Fame is gonna come off looking like a bunch of hypocrites with who they allow in and who they don’t. A guy like Ortiz who I like. but actually had a positive test gets in and a guy who never tested positive doesn’t (Bonds). That’s not to say I don’t think bonds juiced big time, let’s be real.

Never seen a hitter control the strike zone like Bonds did.  It took the elite pitcher to make Bonds only slightly less dangerous.  He always put a good swing in.  

Besides Ripken Jr. and his iron man record season of consecutive games played, watching Bonds record HR chase was the coolest.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CaliNorth said:

Media is out of control . They are a vicious  slander machine just to create more news . I don't blame Bonds for not liking them . 

And yet we feed it and keep it fed.  At which point is it just us instead of the 'media'.  It's like there are 4 fingers pointing back to us as we point out finger at ...media?...us? 

Idk 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

And yet we feed it and keep it fed.  At which point is it just us instead of the 'media'.  It's like there are 4 fingers pointing back to us as we point out finger at ...media?...us? 

Idk 

I don't know who you refer too when you say " Us " . I think most people recognise the B.S. that keeps coming off the press in mainstream and social media , or at least to some degree . Problem is, how do you turn it off ?   24/7 is their (media ) purpose, attempting to brain wash . 

I don't know who you refer too when you say " Us " . I think most people recognise the B.S. that keeps coming off the press in mainstream and social media , or at least to some degree . Problem is, how do you turn it off ?   24/7 is their (media ) purpose, attempting to brain wash . 

If that’s a blanket statement on ALL media then I agree it’s a problem. The problem isn’t with people recognizing the BS it’s people seeing it and still following it. If they let Ortiz in then Bonds damn we’ll should have been in. It’s the Baseball Hall of Fame not the Baseball Hall of Like 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Not quite. millions of people tune into them daily with eager anticipation. They feed the machine and keep it fed

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Never seen a hitter control the strike zone like Bonds did.  It took the elite pitcher to make Bonds only slightly less dangerous.  He always put a good swing in.  

Besides Ripken Jr. and his iron man record season of consecutive games played, watching Bonds record HR chase was the coolest.   

Bonds was phenomenal to watch, squaring up pitches and getting solid contact more frequently than has been seen. But his HR chase to me was not as exciting as just 3 years earlier, when 2 other guys went neck and neck going after the record that had stood for 37 years.

Agree with everybody above. Couldn't put "LIKES" on all without looking like a suck-up :)

Bonds is most definitely Hall of Fame material. He's not the first ball player to have a $hitty personality (See:Ty Cobb). And since when in the long history of America's favorite pasttime was getting an edge : corked bats, spit balls, grease balls, scuffed balls, brush backs, pitches to the earhole, knockdowns, retaliation shots, and bench clearing brawls, not still admired and cheered upon as "boys being boys" where winning is all that really matters. This bull$hit started 50yrs ago with the so called "War on Drugs." It was misguided and hypocritical then as it is today. Now throw in some weenie sports writers, who never played any kind of ball beyond competency, and you have what we have today. We ex-jocks on the side of Bonds and Clemens and the geeks, do-gooders, and phony purist on the other.... I might not live to see it, but like all things in American, change is inevitable... and they'll get in one day.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

Yes you do.  How can you not know what I mean?  Unless you live in a cave and don't watch sports or tv at all, 'us' means you and me.  

This brain washing of you and I by the media (especially sports media) is a bit over the top.  An influence of opinion is as far as it can go.  Stephen A Smith is not brainwashing anybody.  

Social media is another thing and even though many people get information from it it is not the press or news.  People who do that will no doubt suffer the consequences of looking stupid and uninformed.  Might as well go down to the local bar and listen to the drunks from late morning to closing to be any less informed.     

24/7 media is a sign of the times and not a mechanism used in brainwashing us.  If there were no 'us' there would be no media.  The media is us, for us, and kept alive because of us.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

Bonds was phenomenal to watch, squaring up pitches and getting solid contact more frequently than has been seen. But his HR chase to me was not as exciting as just 3 years earlier, when 2 other guys went neck and neck going after the record that had stood for 37 years.

Sosa and Mcgwire was very cool too.  Very exciting stuff.   Baseball is life is one of the most difficult sayings to explain to somebody who doesn't get 'it', and one of the most accurate sayings.  IMHO.  It has it all.  

• Like 1